On My TSX's First Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On My TSX's First Anniversary

It’s been quite a while since I’ve posted anything on this site, but I thought today might be a good day to do that since my TSX is one year-old today. Mine is black with parchment interior, non-navi, 5AT. I believe I paid $26,400 for it, which included fog lamps and installation, plus a “free” trunk tray which I think is a great help in keeping the trunk clean. Current miles: 11,952

Since I’ve got to keep this car for a long time, I wanted to give it the best shot at a long life, so I was very meticulous during the break in period which I extended out to 1,000 miles. During that time, I used the sport shift extensively and made sure to use all the gears up to 3,000 rpm on a regular basis. You can imagine the fun I had once the break in period was over and didn’t have to watch the rpms so closely!

I’ve had my car in for service at the Acura dealer just one time during the year, and that was at 8,500 miles for its first and only oil change so far. I’ll probably change it every 4,000 miles or so going forward. I had them check out a couple of annoying rattles in the windshield area but they weren’t able to do much with it. I plan to follow up on this when it gets a little colder and the rattles are much more evident. I love this car and it’s been great for me, but I’m really disappointed in the number of rattles that affect it - it just shouldn’t be that way, but I know I’m not the only one with this problem.

I love driving my car, and as someone who drove a manual transmission for over 30 years, I find myself using the sport shift a lot. No, it’s not quite the same as the 6-speed, but what a wonderful compromise between fun and practicality.

I agree with those who say the black exterior takes a lot more work to take care of than some of the other colors, but I don’t mind it. When it’s nice and clean, I think it’s really sharp. I’ve been using car care products from Griot’s Garage (www.griotsgarage.com) and I think they’re really first class products and the service is excellent. With every previous car I’ve had, I was content to just take it to the car wash, but now, I do a lot more of it on my own. If you’re a novice at taking care of your car’s exterior like I was (I couldn’t tell you the difference between wax and polish!), you might want to check out the great “how to” car care booklet available at this site.

Are there things I’d be willing to pay for today so I could enjoy my car even more? Yes. I’d pay for a thicker steering wheel with lighted controls (although it’s not too bad just the way it is). I’d also pay for a set of replacement tail light fixtures if they offered them with amber lenses for the turn signals (but not “clear” lenses with amber bulbs).

I remember when many of us old timers started over on the “other” web site, and I still see a few names from the good old days. But where’s Larchmont? As you can imagine there was a lot of excitement on the web site back in the days before the cars were even in the showrooms, and lots more when the first few people started reporting on their new cars. I hope all of you “newbies” continue to enjoy the moment when you get your own set of keys.

As I said when I started this thread, I plan to keep my car for a long time. I’m 62 years old and plan to retire in 3 years and this car will take me well into those fun years that lie ahead for me. And even if I knew then what I know now, I’d still be the very same car, and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to a good friend.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:27 PM
04 remembrance

Cool. Nothing much to add, but wow, the mileage is extremely low.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Mine is only 10 months old and I have 17000 miles on it.

I, too, have had some rattles (all solved) and several other problems (all fixed), which REALLY disappoint me, considering this is sold as a near luxury class car, an ACURA.

I, also, would recommend this car to anyone. Once you get past some of the initial build quality issues, the bottom line is that this is a really fun car to drive. The car is the definition of balance. Not rocket fast, but spririted (and fun to rev). Not a F1 car in the corners, but pretty good at it with a great ride to boot. Stereo sounds great (even if you do have the first one replaced because the lights go out).

A few relatively painless trips back to the dealer and you end up with a really fun car to drive.

I, too, plan on having mine for many years. And as of right now, I wil dread the day it has to be replaced. I can only hope somebody makes something this balanced when I need another one................
Old 08-19-2004, 03:18 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm glad you love your cars. Long live the TSX!