Is my TSX the only one that does this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 06:25 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my TSX the only one that does this?

Alright,

So does anyone else have this problem? When you are driving, and you have your air conditioning, heat, or anything to do with ventilation in the car turned off, I still have air passing through from outside.

Even if I have everything turned off on climate control, I still feel cold air if its cold out in the morning, and warm air if its warm out in the afternoon passing through my vents and blowing into the cabin. I will be shifting, and I can feel a pretty strong flow of air coming through the center two vents and hitting my arm. Man this is annoying!

The past three cars I owned, if you wanted this done, you pushed the vent button on climate control, and it did exactly what the TSX does all of the time. Why is the TSX doing this? It's so annoying, and I don't want to have to keep on shutting the vents totally closed everytime I get in and out of the car. Plus, I don't even see a dial to close the center two vents.

I hope this is not the norm and I can get my TSX serviced to fix this under warranty.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TommyJ25
Alright,

So does anyone else have this problem? When you are driving, and you have your air conditioning, heat, or anything to do with ventilation in the car turned off, I still have air passing through from outside.

Even if I have everything turned off on climate control, I still feel cold air if its cold out in the morning, and warm air if its warm out in the afternoon passing through my vents and blowing into the cabin. I will be shifting, and I can feel a pretty strong flow of air coming through the center two vents and hitting my arm. Man this is annoying!

The past three cars I owned, if you wanted this done, you pushed the vent button on climate control, and it did exactly what the TSX does all of the time. Why is the TSX doing this? It's so annoying, and I don't want to have to keep on shutting the vents totally closed everytime I get in and out of the car. Plus, I don't even see a dial to close the center two vents.

I hope this is not the norm and I can get my TSX serviced to fix this under warranty.
Yeah, pretty normal. Have had this on every car I've had... worst was my 2 VW GTi's. Here's hint... push the recirculating button and it will stop. Basically the fan isn't moving, but there is enough air pressure to push through the system which is drawing air from outside.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:43 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I agree...most cars these days have this issue. The ventiliation systems are substantially different from the cars of yesteryears that didn't have this. Once you closed the air vents, nothing got through. All my cars now have some amount of air coming through. I think the solution provided above is probably your best bet, my guess your warranty doesn't cover this since this really isn't considered a problem by the manufacturer and I doubt there is much they will do to alter the design.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
You can thank Ralph Nader, consumer advocate, for that feature. This feature has been in cars since early 80s.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:04 AM
Instructor

Well, at least its ont something wrong with my car. It just seems to be really bad in the TSX. My 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac totally closed the vents. There wasn't the least bit of air coming through at all!

Once in a while it feels great, but most of the time its annoying as hell. Guess I will just have to use that recirculation feature. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:40 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
push the recirculating button and it will stop.

Works for me.....
Old 05-10-2005, 09:12 AM
HOWARD911S

this is completely normal dude... every acura and lexus in my family does that. just push the CIRCULATE button if u dont want air to come in
Old 05-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Racer

Try these options:

1) Turn the Climate Control On, set the temperature to what you consider comfortable and then turn the Climate Control off. I may be wrong, but I believe the system will still monitor the temperature and make the incoming air warmer if needed (but not cooler since the A/C Compressor is off).

2) Turn the Climate Control On, set the temperature to what you consider comfortable, then turn the A/C Compressor off (a separate button on the right side). Now, it will be much like having everything turned off but the fan. If you don't want the fan, then set the fan speed (a manual button on the left side) to minimum.

I suspect one of the two will give you want you are seeking; no A/C with no fan or minimum fan, but still some control over temperature -- especially if the outside air temperature is cooler than the inside air temperature.

As others indicated, the Re-Circulate button closes are external vents.

Switching from a fully manual system to the system in the Acura takes some learning to know how to emulate a fully manual system. But, once you learn, it is actually better.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seem to remember the manual states that the air should be used all the time for healthy ventiliation; the flow-through is probably part of the result of that - and the best way to make it less annoying is to use the temp controls.

Some cars are more air tight than others - could it be that the TSX is one of them? If so, then it is not that healthy to recirc the air, depending on how much outside air it throws into the mix as part of the recirc....

Ok, really, I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I hope it sounded decent :-)
Old 05-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine does it also! VERY VERY ANNOYING! I will try the recirc button......if I can find it. Where is it?

I was just getting annoyed with this issue this morning. I thought I was gonna push the off button through the dash trying to get the air to stop.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Instructor

/me is amazed at how many people don't know that the recycle air button prevent airflow and even more shocked that people don't know what it looks like..
Old 05-10-2005, 11:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by glacius
/me is amazed at how many people don't know that the recycle air button prevent airflow and even more shocked that people don't know what it looks like..

I'm shocked it took me over a year to figure it out
Old 05-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Got Ramen?

i found out about this even before i could drive...wen i was 15
Old 05-10-2005, 12:01 PM
Just dial 1911

Im convinced these are the same people who do 40 on the entrance ramp to a highway, but when you complain about it to these people, they say "oh I hate that too".

[rant off]
Old 05-10-2005, 12:15 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by domn
I'm shocked it took me over a year to figure it out

Its news to me. I will try it on my way home.

I assumed that the car was designed to allow a certain amount of fresh air in to prevent us from suffocating
Old 05-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well it's not that I don't know what recirc does....I figured that would be the prob myself, but I haven't seen an option to turn on or off the recirc on my navi screen. It's not like there is a huge button or something

Now...if anyone one could "actually help me locate this feature" I would greatly appreciate it.

THX
Old 05-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Drifting

easy to find when you don't have nav.

anyway, i notice the same thing, but i'm not bothered by it since the air that flows through my vents (with all hvac controls off) is the same temp as my climate setting (around 70F).

edit: bunch of s

Old 05-10-2005, 01:00 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sleeper
easy to find when you don't have nav.

anyway, i notice the same thing, but i'm not bothered by it since the air that flows through my vents (with all hvac controls off) is the same temp as my climate setting (around 70F).

edit: bunch of s

ya its interesting. The air temp seems to be set at whatever your last climate control settings were.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes