My TSX has craters!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 01:27 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
My TSX has craters!!!

I was admiring my car this weekend and I found a "few" dings on my hood...

1/4 way down the center of pic is "the big one"

Closeup of it (its pretty deep)

I searched over my hood and found at least 8 other dings (a few are well beyond the coverage of a clear bra...I even found one on my roof!! )
Sorry, had to vent..

Anyways, I think I'm going to have someone patch up my hood and I've decided to get a custom clear bra job (almost 24" coverage on hood with matching fenders). MP3 player will have to wait. Do you guys think Zaino will have any effect on the application of the clear bra?
Old 03-02-2004, 02:24 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well.... as long as the car on the road.. one day will end up some dings on the car.. so.. don;t take it too seriously..
Old 03-02-2004, 03:17 AM
bleh...

I suggest touch up paint for that, but dunno.

I already have some dings on my hood and windshield, which already developed a small crack at the bottom left hand side of the glass. My TSX isn't a year old and this has happened...ugh, I hate road debris and rocks.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:28 AM
Intermediate

i have the CG and have dozens of tiny whitish spots on the hood where the paint has chipped off. not too noticeable unless you're looking close up. i wonder sometimes if i got a defective paint job. hopefully, acura can resolve this issue in future models. i did not expect this kind of quality in a luxury car. otherwise, car is great!
Old 03-02-2004, 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by go_bears
i did not expect this kind of quality in a luxury car. otherwise, car is great!
How do rock chips equate to quality??

This is simply the nature of all paint on all cars. 1 stone at 60mph is going to chip the paint on a Ferrari and a Yugo (assuming the Yugo can get to 60 mph).
Old 03-02-2004, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that scks...i'm glad i got my clear bra early on, was exp to get everything but it'll pay off in the long run

good luck man!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:21 AM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by moda_way
How do rock chips equate to quality??
It's a function of using brittle, "environmentally friendly"/"owner unfriendly" paint.

My kid's '88 Merc wagon has zero (0) paint chips on the front end even after 180,000 miles.

My '98 Volvo looks like a shotgun has been fired at the hood after 137,000 miles.

That's why I had the 3M stone shields applied to the leading edge of the TSX's hood and to the mirrors before I even drove the car 100 miles. Once the paint starts to chip it's difficult to do.

(I've still gotten chips, and the "premium" Acura paint is one sunovab*tch to touch up!)
Old 03-02-2004, 10:56 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

This is something you can't avoid. Its gonna happen, don't stress too much. After one winter, my X5 has plenty of these blemishes already
Old 03-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by moda_way
1 stone at 60mph is going to chip the paint on a Ferrari and a Yugo (assuming the Yugo can get to 60 mph).
true. i can understand the paint chipping from a stone or a rock at 60 mph. but i think the majority of paint chipping on my hood comes from particles that are smaller than stones or rocks... more like grains of coarse sand. i'm probably exagerating, but with the number of chips on my car for the amount of time that i've had it, it almost seems like my hood is getting sand blasted slowly everytime i'm out on the freeway.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Stokeless

one thing i noticed is that with the TSX the paint is chippin alot fast than any other car i have owned and especially on the front bumper...my integra never chipped like this before the body kit or after
Old 03-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by go_bears
true. i can understand the paint chipping from a stone or a rock at 60 mph. but i think the majority of paint chipping on my hood comes from particles that are smaller than stones or rocks... more like grains of coarse sand. i'm probably exagerating, but with the number of chips on my car for the amount of time that i've had it, it almost seems like my hood is getting sand blasted slowly everytime i'm out on the freeway.
I agree! every time i look at my car there are more scratches, paint discolorations and paint chips. mostly on the hood but some on like the side! (thats not from rocks folks...) something is not quite right and i'm going to complain.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Instructor

My TSX has more stone chips on it, after 5000 miles, than I have ever had on a car, including cars I had with over 90K miles on them.

I swear this paint chips from rain.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

well, i guess i'm kinda glad to hear that it's not just me. what would be the best way to inform acura about this?

on a related note, are any of the tl owners experiencing this on their cars? just curious if acura paints their cars differently in japan compared to the u.s.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:35 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

This is my first honda .....

but dont all hondas have thin , cheap paint?
Old 03-03-2004, 12:25 AM
Intermediate

pictures of my front bumper after washing the car. the paint chips are not deep, and obviously not to the metal. the car has about 21k miles, 75% freeway driving.

passenger side

driver side
Old 03-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Old fart

Wow go_bears...I'd have a tough time finding all that on my car...

My 98 Oldsmobile doesn't even have any chips on it's hood.

Anyways, I'm not sure if it was a rock or what, but here's a pic of the chip on my roof:

That's a big friggen chunk!!

It was located on passenger side 1/4 way in from rear door between passenger and rear head rests. This was definately past the top most part of the car and sloping down towards the rear. Any theories on this one?

I guess I'll be an expert in touching up paint pretty soon. I've got at least 8 tries...if I do it myself.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Racer

Go to www.langka.com and buy the langka paint chip repair kit. It works well. I had a minor spot on my hood, a half inch scrape on the rear bumper and two small door dings on the passenger side which I touched up using factory toch up paint and the langka system. You can easily touch up the bumper to pass the 4 feet test (invisible from 4 feet), though with so many spots it may take some time.

Megiuars has a paint chip repair system as well, but I'd personally prefer langka as it doesn't require wet sanding and is safe for the factory finish.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:23 AM
Instructor

I wonder, could this have something to do with the aerodynamics?

I had one this morning that bounced around and left 4 holes down to the metal by the time it flew away.

I've also noticed that the left (drivers) side has far more chips than the right.

Is the touch-up pen recommended?
Old 06-05-2004, 02:29 AM
Old fart

Originally Posted by Proo
I wonder, could this have something to do with the aerodynamics?

I had one this morning that bounced around and left 4 holes down to the metal by the time it flew away.

I've also noticed that the left (drivers) side has far more chips than the right.

Is the touch-up pen recommended?
What color is your TSX? I've got an SSM...and I seem to have better luck matching the paint color from the paint pens than the bottles. Plus the paint from the paint pens are easier to work with IMO.

The aerodynamics seems to play a big role cause the car seems to slope down alot more than any of my other cars..
Old 06-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Spooooooon !

I think we may be a little more sensitive to these types of things as enthusiasts then the normal person who just bought a new car. I have noticed the same kind of chips on the front above the headlights, but I attribute this to the normal wear and tear the road will have on a car.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Old fart

Originally Posted by callmetsx
I think we may be a little more sensitive to these types of things as enthusiasts then the normal person who just bought a new car. I have noticed the same kind of chips on the front above the headlights, but I attribute this to the normal wear and tear the road will have on a car.
Yeah...I'm not as sensitive as I used to be now... Last time I saw a chip...I went "oh well"
Old 06-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Intermediate

From what I've read, today's environmental-friendly paint is water based, not oil based, which wears tougher to abrasion. Also, if one tailgates, then one exposes the car to potential road debris. Lesson: keep your distance. It's not a macho thing: if you love your TSX drive defensively. That doesn't mean that you have to drive like your grandmother though.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:04 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by go_bears
i did not expect this kind of quality in a luxury car.
hahahahahahahahahahaa
I just had to laugh.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TSX 'R' US
What color is your TSX? I've got an SSM...and I seem to have better luck matching the paint color from the paint pens than the bottles. Plus the paint from the paint pens are easier to work with IMO.

The aerodynamics seems to play a big role cause the car seems to slope down alot more than any of my other cars..
It's milano red! I find it hard to imagine putting anything on it and expecting it not to be noticeable. It's so smooth looking when it's clean...

I've never seen touchup paint before though.

I take it I should do this before putting a coat of Zaino over it?
Old 06-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Old fart

Originally Posted by Proo
It's milano red! I find it hard to imagine putting anything on it and expecting it not to be noticeable. It's so smooth looking when it's clean...

I've never seen touchup paint before though.

I take it I should do this before putting a coat of Zaino over it?
Yes...touch up before zaino.. Otherwise you'll be applying the touch up on top of the zaino and not the primer/etc. I'm not exactly sure what else can remove zaino besides sand paper..