My TSX Evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 01:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TSX Evaluation

A couple of months ago I acquired a new Acura TSX, after finally coming to terms with the fact that my old Infiniti G20t is deceased and even with another G20, it would never be the same. By now I have had the TSX for a little more than 2800 miles. In case anyone is thinking about moving into a TSX from a similar older sedan, I listed out the similarities and differences....

Similarities:
  • Handling - This more than any other feature is what sold me on the G20t. The stock handling on the TSX has the same tight, crisp feeling.
  • Comfort - Though handling is what closed the deal, the G20t's comfort level is what brought me in the door. I loved how the G20t's seats conformed to my frame while providing side support in turns. The TSX has the same feeling.
  • Fuel Economy - I used to see 29-30 mpg in the G20t. I saw 27 mpg on my first tank with the TSX, and 28-29 mpg since. My green side loves both cars.
  • Insurance - Premiums between the cars are similar, which is expected given both are four cylinder entry luxury sedans.
  • FWD - Both are front wheel drive (which is my preference).
  • Styling - Both cars are elegant and understated sedans.
  • Rarity - The roads are not littered with either car.
  • Utility - Both cars have adequate interior room and a decent size trunk. The TSX's larger trunk opening is cancelled out by its smaller pass-through area.

TSX Pros:
  • Engine - The TSX's K24A2 engine is hands down the overall best engine I've ever driven. In comparison to the SR20DE, it is smoother, quieter at low RPM, and has an even nicer sound at high RPM. And while I've driven more powerful cars, the engines didn't have the right balance between smooth and edgy.
  • Transmission - I now have 6 speeds instead of 5, otherwise, both cars have excellent manual transmissions.
  • Safety - Although both cars receive very high marks for safety, the TSX has more safety features. These include additional airbags, emergency braking, HID lights, and such.
  • Cupholders - I like having them, but strangely, I don't use them, having been conditioned by the G20 not to drink in my car. (The G20 has zero usable cupholders in front.)
  • Gadgets - The bluetooth connectivity especially is mind-blowingly great.
  • Interior - Between the perforated leather, plastics, and metal trim, the interior materials used in the TSX look more upscale.
  • Stereo - An aux input, six disc in-dash CD changer, and XM radio would be enough to clinch it for the TSX, even without the way better sound.

TSX Cons:
  • Costlier - My G20t was paid off, and even when it was new, it cost less than the TSX.
  • Larger - The TSX is longer.
  • Heavier - The TSX is heavier.
  • Fuel - The TSX eats premium fuel.
  • Ergonomics - The TSX dash slopes away from the driver, while that in the G20 is flat and canted toward the driver. In the G20, I could easily reach every button, which is not the case in the TSX. And don't get me started on the location of the sunroof control.
  • Problems - My old car had one in seven years and 105,000 miles. The TSX has come down with two in two months.

Verdict:
The TSX is an excellent car. Most of its disadvantages are minor, at worst. If I get my problems with the car sorted out, I think it'll be a great car for the long term.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:31 AM
Mmm.. Acura cake

* Problems - My old car had one in seven years and 105,000 miles. The TSX has come down with two in two months.
Out of curiosity, what 2 problems did you come across?
Old 08-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Yeah, how do you mention "two problems", but not mention what they were?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Unauthorized User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mjtsx
The TSX has come down with two in two months.
By any chance one of the two problems from your new TSX is the Driver's seat squeaking? if so that's a known issue with the TSX.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:05 AM
iVTEC no koe

TSX Cons:
  • Costlier - My G20t was paid off, and even when it was new, it cost less than the TSX.

Verdict:
The TSX is an excellent car. Most of its disadvantages are minor, at worst. If I get my problems with the car sorted out, I think it'll be a great car for the long term.
Kinda unreasonable to compare car prices with model-year differences greater than a couple years. I too am also curious as to what "problems" you experienced with your TSX.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Have camera, will travel

Pretty good write-up.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Decent write-up.

Originally Posted by HoRRo
Kinda unreasonable to compare car prices with model-year differences greater than a couple years. I too am also curious as to what "problems" you experienced with your TSX.
I agree with you that given year to year differences, they aren't comparable. However, I think the 2 occupy the same place in market, though Acura/Honda's execution of the concept is worlds better.

They're both sedans that existed overseas, have a european flavor, and are marketed as entry lux automobiles for the American luxury components of each company. On top of that, they're both NA 4 cylinder/compacts. I think the TSX is more sportier given car reviews(I have never driven a primera/g20). But there are similarities....I thought of buying one years ago, but thankfully opted for a 4 door integra, which I gave up at 140,000 with no problems whatsoever.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Oops. Sorry. The two problems are that the windows squeak when lowering, and I've getting a static noise when I use the aux stereo input. I posted on both in Problems and Fixes. Both are very minor, but very annoying since I was using both every time I drove the car.

As much as I like the TSX, which I do quite a lot, I would still be driving the G20 if it hadn't been totaled. I wasn't even thinking about a TSX until I took a look around for another 4 cyl NA near-luxury sedan, a driver's car, only to find that no one except Acura makes one anymore.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:36 AM
6th Gear

[*]FWD - Both are front wheel drive (which is my preference).
Nice write-up. But why on earth do you prefer FWD? Yes, it's simpler to make, doesn't expose misaligned front/rear weight ratio as hard, and it's probably slightly easier to drive for old grandma getting caught in a blizzard.... but what's your excuse?

just curious..
Old 08-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by trekuk
Nice write-up. But why on earth do you prefer FWD? Yes, it's simpler to make, doesn't expose misaligned front/rear weight ratio as hard, and it's probably slightly easier to drive for old grandma getting caught in a blizzard.... but what's your excuse?

just curious..

Snow/ice... FWD's are much better on snow than RWD's. The latter tends to fishtail
when pulling away from a stop, which can be very scary and dangerous.

In snow its much better to "pull" (FWD) than to "push" (RWD).

Old 08-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was the problem you had on the G20?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

The same preference for FWD might make sense for those of us in rainy climates too... If tuned a bit, FWD is still very good, it's not like FWD sucks and RWD is incredible, it's just that if all else is equal, RWD has some big advantages as well as a different feel. I don't know that I want to say that I "prefer" FWD, but I really don't mind it so much.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vidgamer
The same preference for FWD might make sense for those of us in rainy climates too... If tuned a bit, FWD is still very good, it's not like FWD sucks and RWD is incredible, it's just that if all else is equal, RWD has some big advantages as well as a different feel. I don't know that I want to say that I "prefer" FWD, but I really don't mind it so much.
Agree 100%. I am sick of people bashing a perfectly fine car because it's FWD. It's not like everyone are professional racers and can really tell the difference or take full advantage of it. Anyways, don't want to turn this into a FWD vs RWD debate. Your writeup is excellent and I haven't read/heard a comparsion with the G20t before. I didn't even know that car existed...haha.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HoRRo
The 350Z is actually cheaper than the 300ZX TT it replaced a decade later
Old 08-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Racer

Great write-up, and easy on the eyes to read (bullet points)

Thanks...
Old 08-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Pro

Odd, my window squeeks also when going down, the front passenger that is. Haven't done any mods in there either to cause this.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:00 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Nice write-up. But why on earth do you prefer FWD?. . .
The advantages of RWD in terms of driving performance speak to the disadvantages in snow -- namely, weight distribution and not having the drive wheels do the steering. Frankly, I run into a lot more snow over the course of the year than I do racecar driving situations. The best part is, the TSX does a terrific job of giving me the best of both worlds!
Old 08-26-2006, 01:16 AM
Intermediate

Like several others, I am more concerned with rain and snow traction than with racing dynamics. I also refuse to pay the weight and economy hit for AWD. So I have no problem with asking the steering wheels to power the car as well.

Originally Posted by joerockt
What was the problem you had on the G20?
After six or so years, the washer fluid pump failed.

Something I forgot to mention in the writeup is that another thing I miss about the G20t is VLSD.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:33 PM
Instructor

This weekend I'm driving an '05 TSX while my '04 TL is in for service. And I'm loving this car. It's TIGHT, tight, tight. And it scoots. Just felt like sharing.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by VegaTSX
By any chance one of the two problems from your new TSX is the Driver's seat squeaking? if so that's a known issue with the TSX.
Yeah, I had that problem but the seat frame was replaced under warranty.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Nice write-up. But why on earth do you prefer FWD?
Not already covered:

No tunnel for driveshaft intruding into passenger compartment.

Transverse mounting of engine has some packaging advantages

Related to the snow/ice factor -- a RWD vehicle can get stuck easier
Old 03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
I can see that the OP is still somewhat active, since his last login was Feb. 8th, but how is the placement of the dash and and sunroof button a nuisance. I can agree with him on his old car because I used to own a 1994 Volvo 850, and that car consisted of just straight lines and boxes, and the buttons were pretty much right in your face and easy to access. However making the transition from the 850 to the TSX, I didn't have any problems or irritations as to getting my fingers to the buttons on the dash.

Maybe I have long arms or the OP has short arms?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, doing the exact same thing as the OP (went from a 94 G20t to a 05 TSX) I don't have any problem reaching all of the controls on my TSX or my G20. In fact, I think the TSX is a little too confining whereas the G20 felt roomier to me even though it was a smaller car.

In terms of handling, comparing stock to stock and modified to modified, my G20t easily outhandles my TSX and also has a better overall ride.

I bought the TSX thinking it would be similar to my G20 with much nicer amenities. Ultimately, I feel a bit disappointed by the TSX and will probably go back to a G35 or something similar for my next car.