My TSX attacked by a shopping cart!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry My TSX attacked by a shopping cart!

So, I went by the market late last night to get a few pies for the t-day dinner. I'm coming out of the market when, to my horror, I see a rolling shopping cart hit my beautiful TSX straight in the nose. There were two older women in front of my car,and one immediately pointed to another vehicle - a big old ford. Apparently, the driver had loaded his car up, and then simply gave the cart a push in out in the lot. The cart actually went about 50 yards before nailing my TSX.

Anyway, I immediately went up to the Ford and pulled the fellow out. First, he denied it, and then he blamed it on the design of the parking lot. I was pretty hot! I did not do any pushing or shoving or swearing (primarily because he had kids in the car, who I did not want to upset) but there was lots of yelling, screaming and threats. What a complete a-hole! He just gave the cart a hard shove in the lot and let it go where it wanted! He didn't even bother to apologize!

Suprisingly, the TSX did not even sustain a nick. I was lucky that the cart hit the bumper square on.

I don't know what to say about that incident, but it reminds me how many socoipathic turds there are in a major urban area. You have to protect yourself at all times. For example, that is the last time I park at the botton of a hill in a supermarket parking lot.

After weeks of waxing and polishing my car, taking great care of it, and absolutely loving my daily drive, I was really upset by this incident.

What can I say! It is a jungle out there.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: My TSX attacked by a shopping cart!

Originally posted by darth62
I don't know what to say about that incident, but it reminds me how many socoipathic turds there are in a major urban area. You have to protect yourself at all times. For example, that is the last time I park at the botton of a hill in a supermarket parking lot.
Speaking of sociopathic turds, I'm not sure what you did was the wisest choice. I can see confronting the guy, but the yelling and the screaming, that could've easily escalated into something much worse.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:38 PM
Not an Ashtray

True. It wasn't the smartest thing to do. I'm not saying I kept a cool head. What would you have done in that situation?

A few nights earlier. One of my neighbors had his car keyed. He thinks he knows who did it, and expressed some guilt about not confronting the guy. I told him he did the right thing. But, then again, I think it is easier to stay on an even keel when you have family with you.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:54 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Nothing. When I first started driving, I had major road rage. And then once in a while I would hear stuff on the news about guys killing each other cause one cut the other off during traffic, etc. And it dawned on me that if I didn't stop being so aggressive, I might end up on the news as well. I'm sure letting a-holes like the one you described get away with their actions will only tell them that they can continue to be that way, but if they're already like that, chances are they're not going to see it from any other angle. So in your situation, I would also feel angry, but I would remind myself that it's not worth risking my life over it. And that's what has stopped me from being involved in road rage, I stop, breathe, and remind myself. You should try it. People are a-holes, you can't fight them all. If it's not a shopping cart, it's gonna be somebody pulling up beside your car, kick open their door, dent your car and walk away; or some friggin teenagers sitting on your car (I actually had this happen to me) as they're hanging out in the parking lot. Not worth fighting over.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Not an Ashtray

For the most part, I tend to agree with you. And, that did cross my mind. And, btw, the threats I made were not about physical violence - I told that fellow that if there was any damage to the car he would hear from my insurance agency and I wrote down his plates.

A few weeks earlier, I cut off a car on the highway (it was my fault) and he followed me off the road. He pulled up alongside me and motioned for me to roll down the window. I rolled it down, and he started swearing and threatening. So, I looked at him and said "you are absolutely right - I was driving too aggressively - I apologize." He was a bit taken aback my that response - said I was lucky that he had something else to do and drove off. Anyway, that is the best way to handle road rage incidents. Let the other guy go on his way.....

But, somebody effectively vandalizing your car in front of your eyes is a little harder to take.....
Old 11-27-2003, 02:05 PM
such a dirty birdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suprisingly, the TSX did not even sustain a nick. I was lucky that the cart hit the bumper square on.
I think it would have been prudent to check for damage first, then confront the perpetrator. I believe in holding people accountable for their actions and I understand the frustration of having a prized possession damaged by someone else's carelessness. Still, life is short and sh*t happens. This looks like a case of "no harm, no foul". If it was convenient, it might have been worth a polite mention to the dude that he ought to be more careful in the future. If not, just be "thankful" no damage was done and let it slide.

I'm glad your car is OK.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:07 PM
Not an Ashtray

Of course, that assumes you can see the damage. I wasn't convinced that no damage had occured because it was so dark.

Thanks for the thought, btw.

Have to say that I respect the attitudes you both have. You're both completely right.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:20 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take it from a recovering road rager, its better to walk away. I've been involved in several crazy incidents on the raod, some of which led to fist fights in the middle of the street. I had a real probem, and every time I regret it. Now that I am older , and wiser...I am much better about it but I can definately understand why you went over to the guy.

Honestly I think I would have too...but thats not saying much
Old 11-27-2003, 02:38 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
fdl, I'd live to hear about these incidents. Where and when. What exactly made you stop.

Geez I better remember to not mess with anyone driving a TSX in T.O, specifically T.O north.

Here's my roadrage story. It was back in the spring of 98, I had my GS-R. I was going home and was about to pass a highway off ramp. It was a right turn into taffic for those coming off the highway and not a merging lane. The light was green for me when suddenly a car coming off the highway turned right into my lane no more than 15 feet in frot of me while I was at about 80km. I swrived to miss the car and did. My street was the next set of lights up and I honked, honked and honked some more at the car that had just cut me off. When we both stopped at the light I saw the door of that car open. I immediately took off my seatbelt and jumped out of my car ready to do battle. When all of the sudden a little old lady came out of the car, crying, aplogizing and claiming she was lost !!! I felt like the biggest jerk in the world and told myself I'd never have roadrage again. I apologized to the lady gave here directions and she was on her way.

It can go either way, you could get beat up or killed or made to feel like a complete idiot, its best to avoid roadrage altogether.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Burning Brakes

As far as the shopping cart incident, we had a discussion awhile back. You gotta park in BFE to be absolutely safe. As far as road rage goes, I'm a notorious yeller when I drive. You know the guy motherfuckin ya in your rearview. I had a few issues before with this, but I don't think people realize just how dangerous driving a car is. I take it very seriously and expect everyone else to do the same.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:59 PM
Racer

So, I went by the market late last night to get a few pies for the t-day dinner. I'm coming out of the market when, to my horror, I see a rolling shopping cart hit my beautiful TSX straight in the nose. There were two older women in front of my car,and one immediately pointed to another vehicle - a big old ford. Apparently, the driver had loaded his car up, and then simply gave the cart a push in out in the lot. The cart actually went about 50 yards before nailing my TSX.

Anyway, I immediately went up to the Ford and pulled the fellow out. First, he denied it, and then he blamed it on the design of the parking lot. I was pretty hot! I did not do any pushing or shoving or swearing (primarily because he had kids in the car, who I did not want to upset) but there was lots of yelling, screaming and threats. What a complete a-hole! He just gave the cart a hard shove in the lot and let it go where it wanted! He didn't even bother to apologize!

After weeks of waxing and polishing my car, taking great care of it, and absolutely loving my daily drive, I was really upset by this incident.

What can I say! It is a jungle out there.
I hate stupid ppl that doesn't care about other ppl's car.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:11 PM
Not an Ashtray

By the way, one thing lost in this conversation is how well the TSX's bumper held up. It took a pretty hard rap, and I didn't even get a nick.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:03 PM
More On

Originally posted by fdl
.....I've been involved in several crazy incidents on the road, some of which led to fist fights in the middle of the street.....
How'd you make out?

BTW, for this portion of the thread, I feel we have to add:

"This thread is useless without video."

And yes indeed, Darth -- your TSX took a lickin' and came out fine.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:59 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

You know now that I think about it, the worst incidents were the ones that didnt involve phyisical altercations, and happened on the highway. They were the ones that got real ugly and very dangerous. I am actually too embarassed to tell the stories... i was so stupid.

As for the physical altercations, there has been 2. I made out fine in both, in fact they werent even close. People cant guage your size when you are sitting in a car and sometimes make very bad decisions.