My stomach is upset making this decision..

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 11:16 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dingobiatch
. Things like if I went to a bar with 4 friends, and i drove one friend and another drove the other two, and then the other driver had to leave on an emergency. I wouldn't be able to take them back. That kinda stuff.

By no means am I saying I am backing out of the idea of a 350z, I just feel like I should almost force myself to find every single problem in getting the car.
under age drinking... and driving... maybe you should get a bicycle so you dont kill anybody
Old 03-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegaTSX
......there will be other people that will get jelous of your car and your car could get vandalized. I had a friend who got a Vette for his graduation present and took it to school which he shouldn't have. It got vandalized so bad that whoever did it took a piss in his vette smashed his windows, slash his tires, the list goes on. .......
But are all schools are the same ?
Maybe you're friend(s) went to some average, public college(s).....
and this guy, whose family is apparently pretty well-off,
is goin to a more expensive school hence maybe less jelous haters ?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:23 AM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Originally Posted by TSX420J
under age drinking... and driving... maybe you should get a bicycle so you dont kill anybody
maybe you should re-think your pros and cons.. i didnt get a 350 because i have nowhere to stick a baby seat...
fuck friends all they do is screw up the back and passenger seating area.. two month after getting my car a pal of mine tore up my back seat because he sat on his keys and instead of lifting his fat ass he just ripped the keys out from under him... lucky me... no one will care for your car as much as you so dont worry about stuffing your car with friends because one day your gonna wish you had a 2 seater..
Old 03-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Instructor

I am probably going to USD, which is a pretty expensive college, and when i went there, I saw quite a few very expensive cars being driven by kids. I wouldn't TOO worried about vandalism there - not that it's not very possible, but yea.
(And when I made the example about the bar, I meant if I was designated. I'm not one to be drunk driving..)
Old 03-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Advanced

I had two cars in college, a 1966 Mustang (2 doors, 4 seats) and a 1988 RX-7 (2 doors, 2 seats).

I worked to pay for both cars (buts that's a whole other thread and you are looking for advice instead of a lecture on how far I had to walk in the snow barefoot!).

Anyway, I loved the RX-7. It was great on the highway when driving home for breaks. Even though it was 6 years old when I bought it, it was still a great looking car with outstanding handling and just enough horsepower get me trouble. Plus it had the rotary...great engine. I was never the DD in my car (who wants a bunch of drunks, with the potential to puke, piling into your car at the end of the night?). It was small and easy to park in the crowded university parking lots (watch out for door dings).

As far as storage was concerned, my brother drove down with me the first year and we piled my stuff into two cars. My parents came down a month later with anything I forgot or realized later I would want. During summer breaks I would rent storage from a local self storage lot. My roommates and I would all go in together and split the costs. We would also rent a u-haul for a day to haul the stuff to and from the self-storage. When I graduated, I trashed or donated the stuff I no longer wanted and packed the rest into my parents van and my car.

Bottom line, if your dream car is a 350Z and you have the means to acquire one (and it sounds like your parents do), get it. It's never going to be a practical car...but this is the time to throw practical out the window and live a little. Trade it in (or better yet, stick it in the garage and buy a second car) when you realize you need the capability to haul a baby seat around.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Got Ramen?

try pepto-bismol...
Old 03-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Banned

I am probably going to USD, which is a pretty expensive college, and when i went there, I saw quite a few very expensive cars being driven by kids. I wouldn't TOO worried about vandalism there - not that it's not very possible, but yea.
haha, i was right
Old 03-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So, for my 18th b-day and graduation present, I might be getting a 350z. Yes, I have already posted about this, but this is a very specific concern. Umm.. yea.. I'm having a hard time grasping the concept that the 350z will be my car until I am at least 23-24 years old. Specifically, the comfort of the car and the fact that it is a two-seater. I have said many times that a two-seater won't bother me, but I need help honestly figuring out times when it will.

I am going to college in.. what... 6 months or so. Though, yea, I won't be able to drive people around, I know there are always people other than me who can provide transportation if it's necessary to lug more than 2 people. But I need to brainstorm those situations where there is absolutely no alternative, and where having a 2-seater will really suck. Things like if I went to a bar with 4 friends, and i drove one friend and another drove the other two, and then the other driver had to leave on an emergency. I wouldn't be able to take them back. That kinda stuff.

By no means am I saying I am backing out of the idea of a 350z, I just feel like I should almost force myself to find every single problem in getting the car.
i think you're just over-analyzing the situation.

yes, there will be times when the lack of rear seats and trunk space will create a(n) inconvenience/headache/annoyance. but, how bad can it really be? will the 350z be a daily driver? do you have a second car?...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:08 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

what trim level are you looking at in the 350
id say if you want something luxurious, sporty and fast with a 6sp mt right out of the dealer from 27k to 32k get a TL. you could probably find a nice used TL for 28k and you'll be happy as hell...i love the 350... it'll be a tough choice.. you'll probably get as many chicks att in a TL maybe more than in a 350 and dont forget about putting that backseat to use...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Instructor

Haha, I would be getting Enthusiast trim. Probably used, 2005. I don't want the TL, don't like it. The 350z will be my daily driver, no second car. And I have given quite a bit of thought to the backseat + girls problem.. but oh well. If it's necessary to do it in the car, passenger seat will have to do... lol.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Undercover Slacker

it may sound selfish, but life is easier if you don't make other ppl's problem your problem when you dont have to.

how does someone else not having transportion getting somewhere exactly your problem? and i agree with the other ppl who said you dont want to be known as 'the driver,' the unlucky guy who gets to pick everyone up and drop everyone off later. so let's say you go to a bar, everyone gets drunk, and you have to drive everyone back... you dont see that as more chance of someone vomiting in your car?

i dunno, i would just worry about myself and get the car i want.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I really think you need to think about this seriously. The Z is a great car (but it isn't good enough for me to give up my TSX), but it's very impractical. If you really want a 2-seater, you should consider cars like the S2000, which has a usable trunk (albeit a small one). If it's the power that you crave, then perhaps you should consider looking at cars like the STi or EVO which are equally powerful (if not more so), but are infinitely more practical with real trunks and four doors.

But in the end, as a college student, you shouldn't concern yourself so much with what your friends need and just look at what will make you happy. Besides, if your loser friends are always bumming a ride, it's time to buy them a bus pass.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:39 PM
6MT or Death

Before I got my TSX I was looking at the Z. When I test drove the Z I found something interesting. As I pulled away from the first light I was falling in love with the acceleration. I'm a speed freak. Then I took a turn and the love began to fade. Then I tried to change lanes and visibility is ass which makes me nervous. Then I came to another red light, looked at the interior of the car, and as I listened to the engine idle I felt a little sad knowing there was no way I could convince myself to get the car. It just doesn't work as a daily driver for me.

The TSX is a compromise that I live with because it was the best match of sport, luxury, and dependability I could find for ~$26K. To balance my desire for speed I'll be relying on a GXR and the ~9months of rideable weather we have here.

But just like the Z, everytime I walk up to my car at night (nbp/ebony) I only think one thing...sexy.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:43 PM
My bolonga has a 1st name

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
put it this way; if theres any a time to get a 2 seater its now...

soon yo'ull have a g/f. or a wife. kids, family, responsibility... and at that time u'll have to be able to have another car in order to have anyhting fun sporty...

but in the 2 seater mid 30k range... its s2k all the way... freak that egg shaped over weight hog of a 3fiddy.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by dalieu
it may sound selfish, but life is easier if you don't make other ppl's problem your problem when you dont have to.

how does someone else not having transportion getting somewhere exactly your problem? and i agree with the other ppl who said you dont want to be known as 'the driver,' the unlucky guy who gets to pick everyone up and drop everyone off later. so let's say you go to a bar, everyone gets drunk, and you have to drive everyone back... you dont see that as more chance of someone vomiting in your car?

i dunno, i would just worry about myself and get the car i want.

i agreee....

why the hell are u spending 30k on a vehicle to satisfy ur friends??? i mean if u were married with kids and stuff thats one thing beacuse you SHOULD think of them... but to make sure ur drunk ass friends have a ride u'd sacrifice a sports car when the time is best for it? i dont think so... call them a cab and get ur Z--- or better yet... an S2k
Old 03-07-2006, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
Won't ur insurance be sky high for a Z since it's a sports car and you're only 18 single male?

Kids these days I got stuck driving a beatup 88 Accord when I was 18.
boo fucking hoo... jealous bastard
Old 03-07-2006, 03:58 PM
9th Gear

Have you ever thought of a G35 coupe? How about a modded one? Its a 2door sports car with a back seat. Ill trade you mine for your TSX + some cash (depending on your TSX). If your interested PM me and Ill give you full details about all the specs of the car + mods.

Pics:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1258749
Old 03-07-2006, 06:35 PM
Pro

I had the same decision to make.....consider teh G35 maybe? If that isnt an option go with the 350Z. Your too young to be luggin people around. I got a TSX instead of a 350Z only cuz the dealer refused to sell me one cuz im too young, (no joke i was pissed, he was like its too fast for you, you'll die and my parents were like yeah good call) but ul regret it if u dont get it. Cuz then your gonna have a family and ul need a four door car then. BUt for now....stay sporty and young. I'm in college now and damn do i wish i had the 350Z, all u need is one seat for a girl ; ) and unless you travel a lot you dont need the space of a 4 door. but the decision is up to you....good luck
Old 03-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Por Favor?

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
keep the TSX. you'll put the 350 in a ditch at some point (or worse) if you're not even old enough to be in college yet.

I thought I was a pretty damn responsible kid (I was actually), and even I screwed up and put my old MR2 Turbo in a ditch one night driving a back road too fast. Could have been dead if a car had been coming the other way and t-boned me.

Edit: havent even learned how to drive a stick yet? Dude, forget the sports car. you aint there yet.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Instructor

Well, I took another stick lesson today and I am comfortable enough to drive one now. I only have problems finding exactly where to put the clutch so as not to roll back on a hill. Other than that, I'm doing alright.

And as far as crashing the 350z.. well I learned my lesson with being dumb, got in a minor crash with the TSX once. It was within the first 2 months of getting my license, so I'm not too ashamed. Anyway, I'm not asking for advice about safety. I'm well aware of how fast the car is. I just want opinions about functionality.

Doesn't matter anymore though, I'm dead set on getting it. Oh, one last question. Silverstone (the darker silver), or Magnetic Black?
Old 03-11-2006, 04:20 AM
Instructor

got it. 2006 silverstone 350z enthusiast. all i have to say is, holy shit, its fast.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:31 AM
10th Gear

Thumbs up Hmmm

Ok i didnt actually read through all the posts cuase im kinda drunk and didn't feel like it so if i repeat anytyhing im sorry. Basically from what i did read your not sure about getting a 350z. Heres my advice. I have an '04 tSx and i recently went and test drove a 2005 touring 350z. All i can say is yeah it felt alot faster and was cool cuase it was rear wheel drive but all in all i;d have to say im SO glad i didnt buy one originally. When i was looking into a car that was my other option and now tha ti have my TSX im so stoked that i can actually bring more than one friend with me if i have too, and also if i go shopping i have room to put things. Basically i'd say i would HATE to have it as my everyday driver but if i was a baller i would buy it as my second car becuase after test driving it i would hate to have to drive it everyday and try to even think about taking a large load of groceries or any other thing i may buy thats larger than a laptop case. Either way good luck with whatever way you choose to go but ya, dont get the 350z if you plan on driving alot and actually run errands. LATER!
Old 03-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jackartist_04tsx
Ok i didnt actually read through all the posts cuase im kinda drunk and didn't feel like it so if i repeat anytyhing im sorry. Basically from what i did read your not sure about getting a 350z. Heres my advice. I have an '04 tSx and i recently went and test drove a 2005 touring 350z. All i can say is yeah it felt alot faster and was cool cuase it was rear wheel drive but all in all i;d have to say im SO glad i didnt buy one originally. When i was looking into a car that was my other option and now tha ti have my TSX im so stoked that i can actually bring more than one friend with me if i have too, and also if i go shopping i have room to put things. Basically i'd say i would HATE to have it as my everyday driver but if i was a baller i would buy it as my second car becuase after test driving it i would hate to have to drive it everyday and try to even think about taking a large load of groceries or any other thing i may buy thats larger than a laptop case. Either way good luck with whatever way you choose to go but ya, dont get the 350z if you plan on driving alot and actually run errands. LATER!
^^ Naw, don't listen to him. He's

....kidding.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Instructor

Ahh... second day driving it. Holy hell its amazing. And no worries, I don't ever have large loads of groceries to be carrying in the car.

And just got a 5.5 0-60, so.. ya. I'ma post pics soon, I took pics with my friends new Legacy GT B-Spec.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by huckleberry
I wish I had this "dilemma" when I was 18....
man that's one heck of a present !
I got a '66 Mustang when I graduated HS. However, in those days it was just another used car with no special value. Later I sold it, and soon thereafter came to realize they were going to be collectors' cars....
Old 03-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Congrats! no more upset stomach now.