MY Rotors are Definetly Warped.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by unsure
...dont 4get, brakes, like the engine, MUST be broken in properly, if not their performance will be noticeably reduced and may result in consequent problems such as warping
How are brakes supposed to be broken in?
Old 08-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by lshenretty
How are brakes supposed to be broken in?

the process is described in detail in the owners manual
Old 09-01-2003, 04:46 AM
1st Gear

TSX's are known for weak brakes and rotors, why they think that a cars breaking system isn't as important as it's handling I have no idea

As far as going in nuetral coming to a stop, that is the preferred method because it's always easier to replace pads than replace a clutch!

For a car to be doing that already in those miles, no matter if semi agressive or not, it is not normal, however I would look into upgrading. It's funny b/c with Bimmer's soft pads, and as aggressive as I drive at times, I have only replaced pads once with 60k miles.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: Re: Re: Re: MY Rotors are Definetly Warped.

Originally posted by chrisalberts
Disagree. Sometimes due to heat, pads can leave chunks of pad on the rotors that have a similar symptom to warped rotors. Sometimes you can melt it back off again with some brisk stopping.

What's your definition of glazing then?

C.
Your definition of glazing isn't in line with what I thought glazing was. I thought glazing happens when the rotor is polished to slick finish as opposed to a rough (under a microscope) surface. Same goes with the pads, the pads are slick as well and not "rough". This occurs when you gingerly apply the brakes when coming to a stop (same braking habbit for a long time), both surfaces become "slick" for a lack of better word. So not only are braking distances increased but you get a nice squel from the brakes. Also, it's not that the pads are leaving residue behind on the rotor it's as if the pads are acting like sand paper. Then the rotors do the same to the pads.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:43 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Saintor
This is what irritates me most with Honda. Weak brakes! They should really consider taking their brake designs from Toyota. On my Accord, I have changed pads at 77000km and at pads mid-life at 110000km, the rotors are warped and there are vibrations when braking from 80km/h.

If you are on warranty, don't accept that they only resurface the rotors.
Oh man! Toyota cars have GREAT brakes! My 4runner had one of the shortest braking distances out of a lot of SUV's. The thing stopped 40 feet shorter than suv's like the dodge durango. Man...
Old 09-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by domn
....But are'nt TSX brakes from the RSX? and I've heard no reports like this from any RSX owners.
I think this is a major point that nobody's really paid attention to. Yes, they are the same brakes, but the TSX is 500+ sprung pounds heavier plus has heavier wheels/tires (I think) than the RSX. Maybe this could be cause of the sensitivity of the brakes.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:26 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

I didn't wade through the entire thread, but in my previous experience with Honda and Acura cars the rotors are almost guaranteed to warp after they are turned.

I'm not sure why this is, but I gave up turning them and just replaced them after 60K miles in my Integra. I'd replace the pads as needed, but insisted that the rotors not be turned when this was done. They were still unwarped when I sold the car with 197K miles.

Also, all brakes need careful break-in to properly seat the pads into the rotors. You should avoid hard braking for at least 200 miles in a new car. A hard stop prior to proper seating of the pads can also lead to premature rotor warping.