My Roadside Assistance Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:37 PM
for EVER more!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Roadside Assistance Experience

Today was an adventure for the TSX and me. We drove down to Ultimate Audio (also Class on Glass) to get the windows tinted, and were told to come back around 1. We had some other errands to run, and one was to the auto parts store to buy car wash, wax, rainx, among other necessities.

(FYI my RBP has 850 miles on it - a week and a half old)

After putting my things in the trunk (long story about why my KEYS were in the trunk) I locked myself out by locking the keys in there with all the shyt I had just bought.

GREAT - So i called Acura Roadside assistance. After dealing with a few computer prompts, I was put on hold for 45 seconds and spoke to a very nice operator who took my details and told me someone would be there within the hour. Sooner I hoped, cause it was 92 + humidity and no clouds. I then got a call 5 mins later from a computer telling me who was coming, when they'd be there, and what their number was.

I was quoted 40 mins by the computer, and the guy was there in 30. He was professional and used an airbag to open the seal between the door and the frame and used a lasso to pull up on the lock plunger. I quickly popped the trunk and got my remote to disable the alarm.

All in all, a great experience. The nice computer even called back to make sure they came and helped and asked me a few questions about my serivce. Pretty cool. I was happy with how smoothly everything went and will use this service again -- i know so many of you have horrific AAA stories -- I do too.

Now I'm only worried that the airbag may have broken the seal too much, cause I washed my car and a little soap and water had seeped in... will see what happens when it rains -- if I've sprung a leak I'll call it a warranty issue and take it to the dealer....

Interesting to see other experiences.....
Old 06-17-2006, 09:08 PM
WDP Is Faster

My mom had the same problem w/ her van and some tow truck guy came to unlock her car. He used the airbag and put it between the top of the door and basically pried (sp?) it open. Now whenever I go on the highway, the cabin is so damn loud because there is a huge gap where the guy put the airbag in there.

You experiencing any increase in cabin noise?
Old 06-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Have camera, will travel

Good to hear you had a positive experience, but damn dude, nice lockout You really had to go out of your way to test out the roadside assistance.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Banned

why not get ride home to pick up keys instead of getting your door
messed with force ?

Originally Posted by PittIsIt
if I've sprung a leak I'll call it a warranty issue and take it to the dealer......
genius
Old 06-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Because Of You

I myself have a spare key made from one of those key made places and put it in my wallet (cost $2 bucks). It won't start the car but it will open the door without any problem.

AAA can make you a plastic one. It is nice to have some sort of spare key in your wallet... unless you also lock your wallet in the car...
Old 06-18-2006, 02:54 AM
The Village Idiot

Wow, I did the same exact thing that very morning (about 2:30am at 24hr Fitness) and I contemplated about making a thread about it . To make it worse, it was one of those very rare occasions when I had both sets of keys in the car. With no other options, I decided to give TLC a try, but I didn't have the number with me. I spotted another 2006 TSX and wanted to go back into the gym ask the owner for the roadside assistance number, but I ended up looking up the number online via cell phone.

I had a wonderful experience during the two times that I had called. Both operators were friendly and helpful. I was unsure about the fees involved, but they kindly explained to me that the first $100 will be covered and in my case, I shouldn't expect to pay anything out of my pocket.

The ETA was an hour, but there was a misunderstanding regarding my location so the guy had to be rerouted to the correct destination. My 2nd ETA was 30 minutes, but the guy managed to arrive 5 minutes after the automated ETA message was received.

As for the guy who came by to unlock my car, he took a few minutes to ponder about the optimal approach, but he ended up using the same technique as your guy.

In conclusion, I was very relieved and glad that Acura Roadside Assistance was there to help me (They are available 24/7).
Old 06-18-2006, 09:35 AM
for EVER more!

I haven't noticed road noise, but had the stereo blasting -- i love the stock stereo -- i don't understand you guys that don't -- you must pine for bleeding cochleas (look it up).

I couldn't get the guy at Advance to help me Jimmie the lock because he wasn't sure and I didn't want them to slimjim and be unsuccessful and tear up the insides of the door.

I will be doing the plastic thing at AAA.

I couldn't get a ride home because I was 15 miles away from my apt, and just moved to Central FL. I really don't know anyone here. Plus, the key to my apt was on that keychain, and my spare is in my apt. I know, stupid. Guess I'll be manufacturing a contingency plan now, which includes the plastic thing from AAA and possibly hiding my apt key somewhere in the bushes.

BTW I did end up getting my windows tinted at Ultimate Audio -- 20% all around Premium Charcoal Madico -- looks AWESOME -- totally different car, and so much more comfortable in the hot FL sun!

I'm saving that Acura TLC number in my cell ASAP, cause my tinter pulled the sticker off the window.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I couldn't get a ride home because I was 15 miles away from my apt, and just moved to Central FL. I really don't know anyone here. Plus, the key to my apt was on that keychain, and my spare is in my apt. I know, stupid. Guess I'll be manufacturing a contingency plan now, which includes the plastic thing from AAA and possibly hiding my apt key somewhere in the bushes.
Since it was only 15 miles away from home, would it be possible to ask for a tow on a flatbed? Then use a spare to unlock the door?
Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Because Of You

Originally Posted by ...White Fungus
With no other options, I decided to give TLC a try, but I didn't have the number with me.
I have never called TLC. They seem to be pretty good according to you guys. I remember that my Saturn also comes with a year of Road Side Assistance but it sucks big!

BTW, I think the phone number is printed on the sticker on the side window.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:07 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bz268
I have never called TLC. They seem to be pretty good according to you guys. I remember that my Saturn also comes with a year of Road Side Assistance but it sucks big!

BTW, I think the phone number is printed on the sticker on the side window.
number is on the sticker on the window. personally, we carry the valet key in our wallet. this will unlock the door and start the car, but wont work on the glove compartment and trunk if they are in the "locked" mode. or maybe it's all the time.

either way, it fits in the wallet easily. good idea....
Old 06-18-2006, 05:39 PM
for EVER more!

Yeah, I'm not keen on sitting on a key. The TLC number is on the driver side window, but my tinter threw it away when removing the stickers to apply the films, so it's no longer there. It's still in my phone as an outgoing call tho. I just saved it just in case.

Am going to get a skinny thing from AAA I think.

OH and the seal isn't leaking - it rained like crazy here and there was no leakage -- will just keep an eye out when washing the car. Also, no additional road noise was detected. :-D
Old 06-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Advanced.

This is good news to read. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:44 AM
Advanced

OH and the seal isn't leaking - it rained like crazy here and there was no leakage -- will just keep an eye out when washing the car.
On my Audi, I got a car wash and then discovered water in the headliner and in the light cluster up front... When it rained (even during the hurricane-like storms we had back then) there was no water inside, but carwashes would do it, I guess because they targeted the top of the car.

I finally got Audi to pull off the headliner and sure enough, they found two seals that didn't meet plus some blockage in a drainage thing that goes through the roof. To their credit, they actually fixed that problem .

Moral of story: beware of washing your car if you have a seal problem.

-rpc
Old 06-19-2006, 07:56 AM
Racer

Today was an adventure for the TSX and me. We drove down to Ultimate Audio (also Class on Glass) to get the windows tinted, and were told to come back around 1. We had some other errands to run, and one was to the auto parts store to buy car wash, wax, rainx, among other necessities.

(FYI my RBP has 850 miles on it - a week and a half old)

After putting my things in the trunk (long story about why my KEYS were in the trunk) I locked myself out by locking the keys in there with all the shyt I had just bought.

GREAT - So i called Acura Roadside assistance. After dealing with a few computer prompts, I was put on hold for 45 seconds and spoke to a very nice operator who took my details and told me someone would be there within the hour. Sooner I hoped, cause it was 92 + humidity and no clouds. I then got a call 5 mins later from a computer telling me who was coming, when they'd be there, and what their number was.

I was quoted 40 mins by the computer, and the guy was there in 30. He was professional and used an airbag to open the seal between the door and the frame and used a lasso to pull up on the lock plunger. I quickly popped the trunk and got my remote to disable the alarm.

All in all, a great experience. The nice computer even called back to make sure they came and helped and asked me a few questions about my serivce. Pretty cool. I was happy with how smoothly everything went and will use this service again -- i know so many of you have horrific AAA stories -- I do too.

Now I'm only worried that the airbag may have broken the seal too much, cause I washed my car and a little soap and water had seeped in... will see what happens when it rains -- if I've sprung a leak I'll call it a warranty issue and take it to the dealer....

Interesting to see other experiences.....
Lol dude don't even get me started, I did that twice last monday when I was trying to get something out of my trunk. First I had to call a local unlocking service then the second time, my dad saw that my spare was at home and he met me at my job. I was so mad about locking the keys in my trunk twice in one day.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
My expereinces with TLC are ALL horrible - I got better service from AAA.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by miner
My expereinces with TLC are ALL horrible - I got better service from AAA.
i love AAA. i have the PLUS service, and that;s more than enough in any situation!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:04 PM
for EVER more!

i have AAA too, but my parents have only had bad experiences. for tows and such, I'll just take advantage of my car insurance tow truck reimbursement. I just find a truck that's close via information or something and they take care of all the bills. Plus less than $5 a year for my TSX. Not too shabby... I figure if you have the Roadside, you might as well take advantage of it.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:59 PM
Still Lovin my 06

i have AAA too, but my parents have only had bad experiences. for tows and such, I'll just take advantage of my car insurance tow truck reimbursement. I just find a truck that's close via information or something and they take care of all the bills. Plus less than $5 a year for my TSX. Not too shabby... I figure if you have the Roadside, you might as well take advantage of it.
yeah, but if it's got a cap on the amount (didnt someone say $100 above?) then i'd rather stick with AAA. they will cover anything, and i've never waited more than an hour in a rural area, usually 30 minutes in a populated area.

Roadside service is all a "bad" experience. You already have a sour taste in your mouth, so i don't expect positive stories from it.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wclark
Lol dude don't even get me started, I did that twice last monday when I was trying to get something out of my trunk. First I had to call a local unlocking service then the second time, my dad saw that my spare was at home and he met me at my job. I was so mad about locking the keys in my trunk twice in one day.
stoner!
Old 06-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by qweezyq
stoner!
Old 06-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Advanced

I found roadside assistance to be completely useless. I called once on a Sunday night after getting back from a trip and finding my battery dead because I left the reading lamps on. I couldn't find anybody to jump my car and I couldn't get a hold of any friends either. After nearly an hour on hold, I gave up. I finally found somebody to jump my car.