my new modded TSX KEY

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 01:27 PM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs up Score!

So i was picking up some Honda coolant to instal my heatshield gasket at the local honda dealership (they are a lot closer than the acura one) and i stopped by the services desk and asked how much to program the transponder chip in my key with my car (i told them i already had everything cut and it just needed to be programmed) and the said FREE! so he grabbed his HDS tablet and in 5 min i had a new Accord key/fob that was programmed to my car

So to review:

Accord key/fob: $35
TSX blank key: $2 (from Lowes Hardware Store)
Programming Accord key to TSX: $0

$37 plus an hour or so to make the key not too shabby. I am glad i didnt end up having to cut up my tsx key (not that it really matters too much this is a sweet mod, but I now have 3 keys + the valet key )
Old 08-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by virus7
So i was picking up some Honda coolant to instal my heatshield gasket at the local honda dealership (they are a lot closer than the acura one) and i stopped by the services desk and asked how much to program the transponder chip in my key with my car (i told them i already had everything cut and it just needed to be programmed) and the said FREE! so he grabbed his HDS tablet and in 5 min i had a new Accord key/fob that was programmed to my car

So to review:

Accord key/fob: $35
TSX blank key: $2 (from Lowes Hardware Store)
Programming Accord key to TSX: $0

$37 plus an hour or so to make the key not too shabby. I am glad i didnt end up having to cut up my tsx key (not that it really matters too much this is a sweet mod, but I now have 3 keys + the valet key )
Awesome! My Accord key is coming in on Monday. I'll just head down to the dealer and get it done...
Old 08-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Good job! Not sure if all dealers will do it for free though...
Old 08-28-2005, 12:16 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
virus - that's great news!!

i just spent two hours and finished mine (exactly like JTso's pics), def saved me from dremelling my valet key (dremelled a copy instead)

now i need to get some exproxy to seal, then convince the service dept to program my key. thanks everyone for the info, this mod rocks!
Old 08-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

Im looking to do this as well. What all do I need? How would you shave down the master copy key so it would fit? And what would I need the epoxy for?

Thanks
Tuan
Old 08-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tuan209
Hey guys,

Im looking to do this as well. What all do I need? How would you shave down the master copy key so it would fit? And what would I need the epoxy for?

Thanks
Tuan
Do a search on my DIY and use some of the suggestions from this thread.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:10 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
Do a search on my DIY and use some of the suggestions from this thread.
- in short, what i used:

-a dremel or craftsman RTX with a cutting disc, sanding tip, engraving tip, cutting tip, drill tip (all comes w/the dremel kit).
-an extra copy of the master key (from locksmith)
-an accord key from dealer
-safety glasses (very important!)

1. follow directions from moda's posts to take apart the accord key, then start shaving off the plastic edges holding that key.

2. once you remove the accord key, lay it over the copy'd key and trace out the edges of where you need to cut with the dremel cutting disc.

3. after cutting, slowly sand down the edges using the different tips until it's a perfect match from jtso's pics.

4. finally, trace out and drill the hole for the accord screw

5. apply exproxy and let it cure. jtso recommends JB Weld from any hardware store...TADA!!
Old 09-05-2005, 01:02 AM
Intermediate

What kind of glue did you guys use?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by virus7
well i am right where JTso is at.

I went and had a key cut at Lowes (hardware store) for about $2, but i have been calling locksmiths and they are wanting from $90 - $120 to program the car with the the new transponder chip. I am going to try calling again tomorrow.

The SDD programmer seems to be about $5000, but I think the process is rather simple for the locksmith. I will keep everyone posted.
What type of key did you get for $2? Also basically what you need is the USDM Accord FOb a blank $2 key and get it programmed?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Moda_way how much are you charging for doint his service? Pm me if you like.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by kaliraver69
What type of key did you get for $2? Also basically what you need is the USDM Accord FOb a blank $2 key and get it programmed?
I just went to Lowes hardware store and they cut a key key to match. it allows you to unlock the doors and turn the ignition, but the car wont start (you will need the transponder chip programmed to the car to do that)

yeah you will need Accord FOB: ~$35; blank key: $2; and then mod them together and get the transponder programmed to the car.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Has anyone tried just having the original key on the key ring with their new key? Or taping it to their ECU?

My understanding is it is just an RF chip so it doesn't really have to be taken out of the original key as long as it is present.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

not to sound like a noob but will any blank key work for this mod? Am just wondering since I don't want to repoxy stuff over & over.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:16 AM
Intermediate

i just finished with everything and it's so much to have just one key
Old 09-06-2005, 09:45 AM
TSX User

So is there anyone willing to do this mod for a fee? PM please.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Asahi
Has anyone tried just having the original key on the key ring with their new key? Or taping it to their ECU?

My understanding is it is just an RF chip so it doesn't really have to be taken out of the original key as long as it is present.
having the key on your keychain wont allow it to start it has to be closer to the imobilizer (you can hold the two keys together at 180 degrees to each other and it will work), and i suppose you could tape it to the imboilizer, but then anyone who got a copy of your key could start your car. it would be like leaving your house key in your front door so you wouldnt have to bring it with you.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by kaliraver69
not to sound like a noob but will any blank key work for this mod? Am just wondering since I don't want to repoxy stuff over & over.
have a key cut. if it opens your car door and will allow you to turn the ignition on then it will work. there are 2 peices: 1) a key that can turn the ignition cylinder 2) having a transponder chip programmed. once you have verified that you can do 1) then you can epoxy it in and get the Accord FOB programmed.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:38 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Mad props to Moda_Way, thanks for the key job buddy; worth every penny. You have this mod down to an art.

Old 09-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Missin my TSX =(

WELL.... just flew home from skool and check the mail expecting my key to b in from modaway and bamm .... its there... ripped it up and looked at it with excitement (like a little boy) and programmed it (15 seconds) and it worked....

just want to say thanx to modaway for prompt, beautiful work... looks great, works great, feels great.... best mod indeed.... thanks again dude...
all u ppl should get this and go to modaway hahahahhaha

a before n after pic (sorta combined)
Old 09-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks guys for writing some feedback. Again, if anyone is interested, just PM me for the info.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:43 AM
ABP TSX

DAMN this KEY is becoming an ALBATROSS

Thanks guys for writing some feedback. Again, if anyone is interested, just PM me for the info.
First off .... moda_way did and awesome job on the key. His turn-a-round time is top notch. I cannot say how good his service was on the fabrication. The bottom line is if you do not want to mod it yourself, moda_way does an excellent job.

Ok, I had had problems getting someone to cut my key for the mod, but I was able to get that solved. Now I am having a damn time getting the Immobilizer programmed. I stopped by a Honda Dealer this morning. They entered my VIN to get some pass code and told me that it was not in their system so they could not program the key. I said you should be able to and that went nowhere. Even after explaining, they still said Honda key and Acura car will not work. I cranked the car over in Service and still they said “we cannot do it.” Reluctantly I left the dealer.

I called Acura. They said they might be able to clone the key at the Parts Counter for $25, but it had to be an OEM key. However, the Service Advisor said he doubted that would work because the “cut key” was not OEM even though the Fob is genuine Honda including the Immobilizer. He said a tech would need to more than likely hook up the “programmer” to my car. He said since this was not an OEM key or in his words a hacked up OEM key, that the hook up would be $90 (1 hour labor) alone and then REFUSED to estimate me a price on getting the key programmed. I explained this WAS on OEM key but he said Honda and Acura are completely different on the Immobilizer. WTF WTF WTF

After I pressured him, he said the minimum would be $180 or 2 hours of labor. I really did not want to hack up one of my original keys but damn ….

I know this process HAS to be simple at the dealer because several of you already have completed the mod.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to tell these Service People I need done in their terms? Telling them that I need the Immobilizer programmed on a key obviously does not work.

Can this key be cloned as the Acura guy mentioned at the Parts Counter without the Service Hassle?

I go in the Honda Dealer in dress clothes, and get treated like one of these

Old 09-23-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm a llama :(

Does anyone have a TSX AND and a CL? Cause I was going to buy a key, but if it doesn't work, I can't return it since it's an electrical item.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:39 PM

Never mind...the FCC is different on the CL...maybe I could swap the ICB, or TCB, or whatever it's called.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

any suggestions for getting the screw out of the back of the key? moda_way's instructions say to drill it out, but have others been able to uncrew it? i can't get enough pressure to break it loose, I feel like either the screw or my crappy mini screwdriver is going to strip
Old 09-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The screw tip has loctite on it. But I was able to use a #0 tip to remove the screw without any problems. I also tapped the replacement key and reuse the same screw to secure the keyfob.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JTso
The screw tip has loctite on it. But I was able to use a #0 tip to remove the screw without any problems. I also tapped the replacement key and reuse the same screw to secure the keyfob.
I've been successful in all the keys I've modded to get the screw out. It absolutely takes a #0. On my key, the first one I modded, I tried a #00 which did strip it out. Since then I've been able to get the screw out just fine.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I've been successful in all the keys I've modded to get the screw out. It absolutely takes a #0. On my key, the first one I modded, I tried a #00 which did strip it out. Since then I've been able to get the screw out just fine.
sounds good, just from readng your instructions at the beginning of your thread you said you drilled it out. just wanted to double check that wasn't totally necessary
Old 09-30-2005, 08:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by xizor
sounds good, just from readng your instructions at the beginning of your thread you said you drilled it out. just wanted to double check that wasn't totally necessary
Definitely not. I haven't drilled out a single one since. The screw really just adds a tad more pressure to make sure the case doesn't pop open, but I don't have it on mine an haven't had any issues thus far.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:36 AM
I kAnt Spel guD

Originally Posted by Motohip
Never mind...the FCC is different on the CL...maybe I could swap the ICB, or TCB, or whatever it's called.
Let me know how this works. I tried to program the new style '03 Accord fob to my '00 Accord and that didn't work at all either

Oh well, at least the TSX gets the fancy new key...
Old 10-03-2005, 09:14 PM
ABP TSX

I received my Key Mod from moda_way today. As expected, the work is pristine and perfect. If you do not have the time nor patience for this mod like me, I would suggest his service. You will not be disappointed.

I cannot wait to and the Acura Dealer this Friday for calling me a hacker when I get my headlight replaced later this week.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Mmm.. Acura cake

But can you mod it into a watch?

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news_10323.html

On a more serious note, I hope moda_way is still offering this service when i get my '06 !
Old 10-04-2005, 06:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Gary757
But can you mod it into a watch?

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news_10323.html

On a more serious note, I hope moda_way is still offering this service when i get my '06 !

Definitely!!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:19 AM

So, with trying to get it to work with a remote with a different FCC number, is that just a different frequency? Can you swap just one little part of it to get it to work?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

So, with trying to get it to work with a remote with a different FCC number, is that just a different frequency? Can you swap just one little part of it to get it to work?
I've tested it on a few cars and it works... depends though. For instance, will work on a 2000 Honda Accord, but not a 2000 Prelude. Not sure if the FCC number comes into play or not. Need to test it on my wife's 01 Civic.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:03 PM

I'm hoping I can like swap some chip or something and it'll work.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm hoping I can like swap some chip or something and it'll work.
Not sure I understand. The chip from the Accord key can either be programmed to work by your dealer or taken out of the TSX key. This only effects the immobilizer system which sits in between the fuel system.

You still have to program the buttons on the key, but that takes like a minute. Instructions are in this thread.

You can't have the Accord key cut b/c it is a totally different key all together, so you either have to use a key you had cut by the hardware store (which means you need to have the chip in the Accord key programmed by your dealer) or use the TSX key and modify it to work inside the Accord key.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:24 PM

No, not the chip in the key, the chip in the remote part. Since the FCC numbers are different, I though there might be a way to swap something.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

No, not the chip in the key, the chip in the remote part. Since the FCC numbers are different, I though there might be a way to swap something.

My bad... there is no... chip... that I'm aware of in the remote. Eventhough the FCC numbers are different, they still operate the system. You can't really unchip the remote... besides, there aren't compatible from the fob to the Accord key as a swap... you have to merely program the TSX computer to accept it. Fairly simple to do.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Brilliant idea to mod the key!!!!!

Two questions: 1) Why doesn't Acura offer a key like this?

2) Why doesn't Acura (or any other car maker) offer a remote transmitter that can be programmed for two cars? There could be a slider swtich on the side (for example position 1, TSX and position 2, NSX ) so that repeat customers of Acura have an incentive to stay loyal to the brand. I own two Acuras (2004 TSX and 2001 MDX) and it is a pain to have two remote transmitters on my key ring!!! This isn't rocket science!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SWOBERT
Brilliant idea to mod the key!!!!!

Two questions: 1) Why doesn't Acura offer a key like this?

2) Why doesn't Acura (or any other car maker) offer a remote transmitter that can be programmed for two cars? There could be a slider swtich on the side (for example position 1, TSX and position 2, NSX ) so that repeat customers of Acura have an incentive to stay loyal to the brand. I own two Acuras (2004 TSX and 2001 MDX) and it is a pain to have two remote transmitters on my key ring!!! This isn't rocket science!!!
Acura's have always been this way.... poor excuse, but the truth. The 03-05 Accord is the first, that I know of, to get an integrated key and fob in one.

Quick Reply: my new modded TSX KEY