My complaint letter

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:37 AM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry My complaint letter

as some of you know, my car was in the shop for a total of 52 days for hail damage repair. well, i was not satisfied with the work and they are still working on finishing up the car. I wrote them a letter and would like some comments on if i was a little harsh or not. :

7/19/2006

Geico Claim # XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Policy # xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Red McCombs Invoice # xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To whom it may Concern:

This letter is to inform you of the difficulties I have had related to the repairs on my 2004 Acura TSX performed by Red McCombs Collision Repair Center. This letter is also to create a list of further repairs and corrections that need to be made before I am satisfied with the work performed on my car. Please understand that I take very good care of my vehicle, and it was even commented by the Geico Adjustor during the estimate on how clean and well kept my vehicle appeared.

To begin with, I was given an estimate of 20 days to repair my vehicle on May 16th. While there were a few unexpected problems, including a damaged roof and a late order of another panel, I have had trouble believing that keeping my car for 51 days is how customers are usually treated. To make things more complicated, my car is yet to be completely repaired. To this date, my car has been unfinished for a total of 65 days and counting. A large portion of the problem that I have with the repairs is that most of the late repairs are being performed because of inadequate workmanship in the first place and a lack of attention to detail. I was told repeatedly by the service manager for over 3 weeks that my vehicle would be ready “tomorrow”. Throughout the entire time, I returned and rented a total of 4 different cars due to the promises of my car being ready for me every time, resulting in more expenses than expected.

I will begin with the interior of the car. My car was returned to me unfinished and in very poor condition. (1) The entire headliner and pillars are covered in dirt and grease, staining every part of the ceiling and sunroof lining. (2) The carpet is filthy and needs to be professionally cleaned in both the front and back. (3) There is still soot and dust throughout the car’s interior, including on the new wood trim and the navigation screen. As a result, there is dust in the air vents and the wood trim is no longer shiny and is not rough to the touch. The navigation screen is very hard to view in the light now due to the abrasions all over the screen. I am sure that these problems can be easily fixed with a cleaning, but this is something that should have been done before my vehicle was returned to me. (4) The leather on the seats, middle console and doors are now stained with dirt/soot. Additionally, (5) the driver side front seatbelt adjustment slide (on the pillar) is now stuck and will not adjust. (6) Portions of the headliner are not properly tucked in and appear put together hastily. (7) The rubber lining on the front side driver’s door is torn in several places.

For the exterior, there are several parts that are missing or not attached correctly. (8) The black plastic/rubber trim on the left side of the vehicle – across the hood and down to both front and rear windows – is not clipped properly to the vehicle, which creates a space between the car and the liner. (9) Both reflectors on the rear bumper are now missing. (10) Every plastic and possibly some of the metal screws/fasteners are missing from both the right and left front wheel wells. (11) The metal trim on the left rear door appears scuffed, possibly from a buffing wheel. (12) The front bumper is now cracked in two different places. (13) The metal trim on the rear right door is not flush with the car. (14) There are several small yet noticeable paint chips on both front doors. They appear to be hit by small rocks or pebbles.

These items include parts that still need to be worked on as acknowledged by Red McCombs.

Other oddities that occurred while my vehicle was in the care of Red McCombs include the fact that my stereo was removed from the middle console for some reason. Upon repeated inquiries about the status of my vehicle, I was told only that they had no explanation for why it was out. In an attempt to re-install the middle console, an employee (unnamed) broke one of the railings holding the stereo in place, rendering in forever loose. I now have scratches in both my middle console and the exterior of my glove compartment (of which I was told would be repaired). Although it was repaired, one of my wheels had a deep gash in the metal while at the shop.

I find it odd that my car was returned to me with over 1,000 additional miles than when it was handed over for repairs. The vehicle was recorded on May 16th as having 43,361 miles. Upon return, my vehicle had 44,442 miles. My battery was disconnected and, therefore my vehicle’s computer, stereo and navigation system was disabled when returned to me. This can only lead me to believe that my vehicle was used for recreational purposes and not only for professional repair.

Once again, I hope that this is not the usual business practice of Red McCombs. However, I cannot allow the negligent and unprofessional treatment of my vehicle and myself to either reduce the value of my car or allow myself to be mistreated with misinformation and broken promises. I expect each of the problems I have addressed to be corrected in a timely fashion and in a respectable manner. Please contact me as soon as possible with a resolution.

Sincerely,

Me
Old 07-21-2006, 12:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that sucks man. Report them to the BBB
Old 07-21-2006, 12:50 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds like horseshit, I'd be pissed too. I can recommend CCing yourself on the letter. It's and indication that you are keeping record and might show the letter to someone else.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:50 AM
The Power of a Grill

I faxed the letter to 1. geico and 2. the repair shop. they called me the same day (wednesday) to set up an appointment for next wednesday with the service manager.

Funny
Funny
Funny
Funny Funny
Funny
Funny

Old 07-21-2006, 12:54 AM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
def get your insurance co. involved...that's what they are their for...

also, if your local news stations have some kinda investigative reporter you can go that route as well...if it does get nasty...
Old 07-21-2006, 01:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Wtf Man They Owe You A New Car. Sue Them. Run Them Out Of Business This Is Uneccessary!!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:08 AM
rebmeM deretsigeR

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
What kind of service is that! I would definitely be pissed at the lack of quality and professionalism. Seems like a last minute rush job before an inspection or something. Better fight them until this gets resolved. Good luck with the repairs and I hope you get your car back to the way it deserves to be.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:19 AM
Siege Tank Engineer

Originally Posted by San-AnT
I find it odd that my car was returned to me with over 1,000 additional miles than when it was handed over for repairs. The vehicle was recorded on May 16th as having 43,361 miles. Upon return, my vehicle had 44,442 miles.
That's lame how someone at the shop took your car out for a few days of joy-riding. I'd give them hell and ask for some compensation in return for this.

It is unacceptable for a service shop to use your car and drive it around without your permission.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:33 AM
Undercover Slacker

damn that sucks... i would be piss also.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:42 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Lol, that car is in deplorable condition. It's so horrible...that shop has no right to touch cars. They need to lose their business license and what not

I'm sure any of us, with less than professional knowledge about car repair would have done a better job than that.

Obviously their employees are not detail-oriented
Old 07-21-2006, 01:47 AM
The Power of a Grill

this guy owns several car dealerships in town and a few professional teams. most of them are not high end dealerships, but the insurance recommended them.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:33 AM
Racer

Wow, just seeing those pictures makes me mad.

Unleash hell!!!!!

Good luck and keep us posted...
Old 07-21-2006, 04:32 AM
10th Gear

First off, I am sorry you are going through this, I can't imagine how frustrating it must be. I agree with a lot of the comments made here, definately pursue this matter with them. I would send the letter to them and the insurance ocmpany, as you already have. I would also send one to the BBB. If they do not rectify matters immediately, I would call the local news channels as jmathew34 suggested. You said they own other dealrships? Do you know who owns them in particular? I would send copies to that/those individuals as well. For what you've been through, I actually thought he letter was rather reserved. I don't think I could have been so cool headed. Finally, I would consider attaining legal counsel. I am not one who is sue-happy, and it will likely cost you up front, but it very much seems warranted inthis case. Oh, and be sure to keep documenting everything. They've been complete and total a** holes to you, so whatever wrath you unleash on them (as in bad press) they fully deserve. Best of luck!
Old 07-21-2006, 05:17 AM
Pro

wow......i'm speechless!i cant even begin to comprehend how that could happen....i think i would be beyond mad if that happened to me!i really hope you get things resolved and you get the compensation you seek....and that business goes under for good
Old 07-21-2006, 06:03 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
holy fucking gawd....that is some piece of work they did to your car!!

if that was me, i'd show them my former work badge (MSNBC) and that a news truck will be there 8AM in the morning if the shit ain't taken care of.

AND i'd find out who joyrided my car for 1k miles b/c that person is going to get some
Old 07-21-2006, 06:33 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

wow....that is total horse shit. I can not believe they did those type of "repairs" and then tried to have it go over like you weren't going to notice them.

The fact that they put that many miles on the car blows my mind......make sure you take care of this and get some compensation for the headache and expenses you have inquired while dealing with this situation. I know it probably won't happen, but try and get a new car from them. It seems like they depreciated the value of your car a lot with their shotty repairs and mileage.

good luck!!!

BTW: I think you were more than nice/professional with that letter.

I know you sent this letter already, BUT as an FYI, I did find a couple of mistakes in your letter:
- (item #3) As a result, there is dust in the air vents and the wood trim is no longer shiny and is NOW rough to the touch.
- (5 or 6 paragraph)rendering IT forever loose
Old 07-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
There is no explanation for the type of work involved. NBow that you have sent the letter what kind of 'reprimand' wil they cause to teach you a lesson? I would not trust/keep my car with them. And, the additional 1000 miles - grand theft auto. Get the police involved. No way should that car have been returned to you in that condition. I would get Red McCombs involved (owner of the Minn. Vikings and a WNBA team). He can certainly afford to compensate you properly. Be sure Acura Care is aware of this too.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:51 AM
05 AT Non-NAV

all i can say is wow... im in NJ and aout 30 mins away DHC Montclaire Acura, recommended on this website and an absolute truth, anyone in jersey def goto DHC, awesome service, friendly, gave me loaner car all 3 times i had to go in... 1 paint/residue repair, 2nd to finish paint/residue repair, 3rd for oil change... never once did they seem annoyed that i needed loaners, just said id have to wait for a certain day when tehy had one avail. the sales team was fantastic, no gimmicks, no hidden agendas.. what i spoke to them on the phone with was what they agreed on at the dealership in person... didnt try to sell me a bunch of unecessary crap, just done deal and great service...
Old 07-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
I'm with psychodoc, no way is that letter too harsh. The tone is perfectly professional and respectful. You were also very detailed in your complaints. I don't know how anyone could have handed that car back to you and actually expected you to accept the "repairs" even if you knew nothing about cars. Unbelievable.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:14 AM
jpt
Burning Brakes

LAWYER

UP

NOW!

Don't wait!
Stop reading this!
Go call an attorney.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That is a terrible and unprofessional way to treat someone's car! Wow, I can't believe it. I'd definitely raise hell with them and your insurance. Sounds like someone definitely went joyriding in your poor car and abused the shit out of it. You sound so calm and collected in your letter, which is good because you explained everything that is wrong, but try making it sound a little angrier, because what they did is just plain wrong. And they didn't even try to cover it up!! All I can so is wow.... Sorry this happened to you and your TSX. Makes me sad and angry.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:00 AM
NewBee

if you can afford it - consult with an attorney NOW. If not your best route is BBB (not that they help at all) and look up your state attorney general's office and file a formal complaint with the state. I'd say do that no matter what, send this letter to the attorney general's office and they will forward it to the appropriate area that will follow up with the shop. Find out the shop's insurance carrier and attempt to file a claim with them. You can call the state dept. of insurance to find this out. Do all of these things, put the pressue on these guys and hopfully they will give. Good luck and let us know what happens. This is horrible!!!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Dayum Sorry your going through such an experience. That shop is totally unprofessional, I'd go postal!! I really hope Geico will go to bat for you and get this resolved. Perhaps having your car taken to a better shop.

btw, you did a great job with your inspection. Any other problems with engine? Handling? etc.??? Other than cosmetic.

Keep the preasure on those a$$ holes!

I'd also submit a complaint to your local BBB and Chamber of Commerce.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:15 AM
NewBee

i guess the goal here is to send that complaint letter to as many regulatory agencies as possible. also send it to ANYONE that cares, let that shop know you are spreading the "bad" word around! they will give sooner or later. cause a big stink!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

If your in San Antonio, here is the BBB link:

http://www.sanantonio.bbb.org/
Old 07-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

He ya go:

http://www.sanantonio.bbb.org/common...html?bid=19799

Not a lot here though.

http://www.sanantonio.bbb.org/common...l?bid=90009820

http://www.sanantonio.bbb.org/common...html?bid=18857
Old 07-21-2006, 08:37 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Your car got used like a $2 hooker.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Instructor

Dude, Red McCombs is sitting on a FORTUNE after selling the Vikings for WAY more than he paid (seriously, he owned the team for like 7 years and he quadrupled his money). Go knock on his f*%$ing door and make him buy you a new car.

No, I'm not kidding.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

I agree, this is bullshit. You should definately push to get a new car. I'd never want a car which they tore apart to fix hail...messed everythign else up, and added 1k to the odometer.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Just dial 1911

You know, usually I laugh at all the "GET AN ATTORNEY!!!" posts, but I think in this case, you have a pretty legitimate gripe. If Geico dosent take care of this promptly, time to give one a call.

Just the fact that someone put 1000 miles on the car is ridiculous.

Oh, and I think the letter is well worded, but I think you should be beyond sending letters at this point...
Old 07-21-2006, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

Wow that letter was very restrained considering how bad they treated you. It had the right tone though, if you rant they will assume you are crazy and not deal with you. As far as getting an attorney, legally you may have to give them the opportunity to fix the situation before you can take legal action.

This reminds me of a similar (but much less outragous) incident from about ten years ago. Someone broke into my Civic and destroyed the passenger side door lock. The insurance company recommended a shop. That shop seemed OK at first but turned out to be very unprofessional, they took forever, the lock never worked right, and they broke other pieces of the car. So the lesson is: Don't take you car to shops the insurance company recommends.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

^^agreed, usually to a bodyshop ur dealer recommends.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:57 AM
9th Gear

Absolutely unbelievable! Definitely get a lawyer!!!!! I would lose my f-n mind if someone did that to my car--and to drive it 1000 miles, too. Wow, my husband hasn't even driven my car yet I'm so paranoid!
Old 07-21-2006, 12:26 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I'm like Joerockt, I don't jump quickly to the "get a lawyer involved" solution, but in your case you've got a company that has so badly handled your car, I don't know that they'll be motivated by customer perception or public opinion alone. They can't possibly have thought your car was in acceptable condition, it appears they don't give a damn.

A lawyer will help prevent you from going down the primrose path, bit by bit, while they promise to make things better "tomorrow". He'll also help you not make any compromises that could hurt you in the end, which they'll almost surely try to get you to make.

I'd at least talk to a lawyer and see if they feel like you need one at this point. If you're just going to have a small-claims court claim, at best, in the end, a lawyer might not be needed. Document everything, photograph everything, and keep good notes on phone conversations, get names and keep dates.

Best of luck.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Got Phó?

DAmn, thats bad. Sorry to hear this happen.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Pro

You are being TOO NICE! Your letter was very professional but it appears that you are dealing with people who don't give a shit and probably can't read ta 'boot. So... I agree with those who've said be more proactive, get legal help and in short threaten "them", including your insurance company, with the 2nd coming of hell if they don't make you happy. The 1K added miles is, in my book is a hanging offense. If you can prove it, use it to your advantage as a hammer to get what is your right. The car in the condition it was in before the hail strike.

Keep fighting!!!!

PS - It almost sounds as if "someone" had tried to steal you Nav System.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:03 PM
OEM plus!

This is going to be really long winded, so I appologize in advance, but this kind of thing gets me heated.

That really sucks man! The letter is very well worded, and I especially like the fact that you numbered all of the action items in the body of it. The tone sounds good to me. When someone reads it, they are going to know that you are upset and organized about it. I know that you have been through a lot with this repair shop and it would be perfectly ok to be irate with them, but start of nice with the ins co like you did.

You can do a lot of things with companies before you have to "lawyer up". First thing I would do before sending this letter off is proof-read it a couple times (not trying to break balls, but just to make you look better to the ins co.) With the submission of the letter you should include any and all pictures that you have taken. For each action item that you have, make sure you have at least one picture as supporting evidence. Label or number all of the pictures, and indicate in the letter that there is an enclosure of pictures. This way each claim that you make will be substantiated. Give the car a good once over and take notes to make sure you didn't miss anything. If you did, it' another action item on the letter and another picture you have to take. Also if there is any kind of correspondence between you and the repair shop include that too ....especially if there is a time qoute printed somewhere.

Now that you have everything in order in your letter, you have to add some demands to the letter. You can bitch up a storm, but in the end you have to want something. I think you are well past the point of just wanting your car repaired. You need something for all of the INCONVENIENCE (this is my all time fav word in these situations). that you have incurred.

For me personally, I would not want my car to be repaired by that shop any further. Request that you be sent to another facility to complete the work and to fix the damage caused by this repair shop. Request a pro-rated reimbursement for the mileage added on the car, like this...figure out how many months it would take for you to put on those 1,000 miles....example 1.2 months x $500 car payment = $600 dollars you ask for in cash back. Request your deductible to be waved for this instance due to all of the inconvenience you have had. If you really feel agressive ask for them to reimburse you 65 days of car payment in addition to the above requests.

If the insurance company responds to your letter saying that the repair shop is to blame and that you will have to take things up with them, you tell them NO! Remind them that they are the one stop shop for you. You pay them monthly for their services, you don't pay the repair facility every month. It is not your problem that the subcontract out to a shitty repair facility.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:57 PM
The Power of a Grill

thanks for all the advice, guys. I did proofread and edit the letter before it was sent out, this is just the draft i emailed to myself. I am going to ask that they send the car elswhere for furhter repairs and will have to make a list of what kind of compensation i am requesting before wednesday. believe me, i am pissed. i want to go over there and beat people, but i know that i can get more done by killing them with kindness. they have no argument, no reason for not giving me the respect that i deserve.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:13 PM
The Power of a Grill

ok, letter sent to BBB
Old 07-21-2006, 04:33 PM
Advanced

holy S**T!

Dude sorry about your car!
If you don't have any luck with a lawyer lets go get some ski masks. I'm sure they have cars we could do the same thing too!

Quick Reply: My complaint letter