Mudguards Scratched My Paint !

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The potential damage without the splash guards is much greater than the slight paint damage with the guards on. Now there's a workaround and prevention with the 3M film, put the splash guards back on.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:59 PM
E.E
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK I have been lurking for a while, but am taking delivery of my TSX next week and mudflaps were thrown in by the dealer.

I would like to resolve this issue for my car, but am not very handy, so I am asking for your help -- could somebody describe this exact 3M product (better yet, link to a website with the product and where can you buy it? Home depot?). Can this be applied without actually removing the mudflaps, or do the mudflaps need to be taken off, then apply the protective tape, then re-install the flaps. I don't really want to deal with anything too complicated.

Nobody is mentioning the downside to mudflap removal being the risk of stones and dirt being kicked up and scratching the paint -- wouldn't the protection to the sides of the cars potentially offset the risk of the friction damage to the cars paint, especially for people like me who have no intention of adding a body kit?

Thx for your thoughts!!
Old 01-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Rats, I just ordered and received them for our new TSX! I'm wondering if a gasket made of silicone, from a tube, would help with this problem.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

this is going to require some thinking and probably a few trips to home cheapot.... hmmmmmmmmmm maybe ill find something, but i really dont seem to have much of a problem with stones, just every once n a while i get some tar that likes to kick up but nothing thats scratching the car. i get a nice ammound of stones in the front, my bumper is on its way to being ruined from the few car trips we took already. =(

hmmmm i first hafta see what i can get for the mudgards tho b4 i start looking for a deal on them.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:27 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by E.E
OK I have been lurking for a while, but am taking delivery of my TSX next week and mudflaps were thrown in by the dealer.

I would like to resolve this issue for my car, but am not very handy, so I am asking for your help -- could somebody describe this exact 3M product (better yet, link to a website with the product and where can you buy it? Home depot?). Can this be applied without actually removing the mudflaps, or do the mudflaps need to be taken off, then apply the protective tape, then re-install the flaps. I don't really want to deal with anything too complicated.

Nobody is mentioning the downside to mudflap removal being the risk of stones and dirt being kicked up and scratching the paint -- wouldn't the protection to the sides of the cars potentially offset the risk of the friction damage to the cars paint, especially for people like me who have no intention of adding a body kit?

Thx for your thoughts!!
You have to remove the mudflaps to install the film. It should be only 2 or 3 screws on each side. The film is fairly easy to install. If you would like some film or tips on install let me know (send me a pm).

And yes, without madflaps you will have stone damage on lower part of the car.

Take care, Mark.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Instructor

My car came with the mud guards on it already. The car was a dealer trade and came with the mud guards and wheel locks. When I went to inspect the car, I told them to take them off. I wanted to inspect the car without them. I think they are ugly in the first place, but the dealership manager wasn't happy with me. He told me that he wasn't charging me for them so I should be happy. Because of this great website I knew the potential damage they could do. The dealership told me that I was crazy and they never heard of such a thing. That was the only problem in my whole buying experience at the dealer, and they took them off anyway. I love the car and the place I bought it. Now that the windows are tinted, it looks so nice. Can I have an extra hour in the day to look at it?