MOTHER of all potholes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 07:57 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOTHER of all potholes

Last night, driving home from the gym I drove over a pothole the size of Texas ... Man, it felt like I hit a deer.

Now I know our tires are sorta low profiled and the suspension is such that it can handle a little rough edges like potholes. Plus things always FEEL worse than they are.

My concern is that I effed up my alignment or something ... I mean, if I let go of the wheel, the CAR ALWAYS pulls to one side no matter what.

The car only has 600 miles on it ... How can I tell if I messed it up. It "seems" fine ...

Thanks in advance ...

Anthony
Old 02-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Bring it back to the dealership, and get the alignment checked. They should do it under warranty, unless you have a dent and/or bulge in your tire.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Pro

Avenutolo, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully your suspension is fine. Did you notice from day one that when you take your hands off the wheel, it will pull to one side? It happens to me too since delivery. When I let go of the wheel, the wheel will slowly start turning left and the car will go left.. When I go pick up my license plates, I'm going to ask the dealer to check my alignment under warranty.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:55 AM
Banned

this what you hit?

Nah Sounds like ur just a little out of alighnment, no big deal, pot holes and other bumps can do this to ya, not really a problem
Old 02-23-2005, 09:08 AM
ric
Safety Car

Almost any corner garage can check the alignment, but your dealership should do it for you while you wait. There are so many potholes and construction patches on city streets here I just get used to having the front end checked and realigned at the end of every winter season.

Other thing you might check is whether you lost any air from the tires; a massive one-sided pothole skirmish could have you driving with an unequal tire pressure and either be the solesource or a contributor to your "hook". I try to check my tire pressure about every two or three thousand miles, but it is the first thing I check if the car is "drifting". So far, with the TSX, I've had good luck.................
Old 02-23-2005, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ric
I try to check my tire pressure about every two or three thousand miles, but it is the first thing I check if the car is "drifting". So far, with the TSX, I've had good luck.................

The car has only 600 miles but I'll check the pressure ... The salesman told me the pressure was soemthing weird like 29 in the front and 35 in the back or something ...

How do you guys do it??
Old 02-23-2005, 09:59 AM
cmf
ATCer

You haven't hit a real pothole till it bends the car in half. That's the way it happens in Cali.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Well here in Jersey where it snows every other week or so, the roads are fraught with potholes like little mines ... The one hit last night was HUGE, but most are average ... but the thing is they're EVERYWHERE ...

BTW ... why in the hell does Cali have potholes?? What are they from? Earthquakes?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:12 AM
ric
Safety Car

Originally Posted by avenutolo
The car has only 600 miles but I'll check the pressure ... The salesman told me the pressure was soemthing weird like 29 in the front and 35 in the back or something ...

How do you guys do it??
I look it up in the abbreviated manual that slips into the pocket of the big manual............ I never remember. Just a thought that the pothole may have popped air out of the tire................ I've had it happen, though not on the TSX.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:23 PM
6th Gear

I hit a bigass pothole here in Atlanta and it bent my f'ing rims. Dealer wants to charge me over a grand for 2 new wheels, camber, and to repair the rear suspension. What a rip. I have to see if my insurance will cover it.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJTSXMan
Avenutolo, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully your suspension is fine. Did you notice from day one that when you take your hands off the wheel, it will pull to one side? It happens to me too since delivery. When I let go of the wheel, the wheel will slowly start turning left and the car will go left.. When I go pick up my license plates, I'm going to ask the dealer to check my alignment under warranty.
I agree...mine has done that also from delivery. I have over 37,000 miles on it now and it still does it. I was planning to get it fixed when I get new rubber on my stock rims or when I get my 18's
Old 02-23-2005, 01:20 PM
04 remembrance

Originally Posted by MemRheins
this what you hit?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by phand
I hit a bigass pothole here in Atlanta and it bent my f'ing rims. Dealer wants to charge me over a grand for 2 new wheels, camber, and to repair the rear suspension. What a rip. I have to see if my insurance will cover it.

Hey man ... That's awful. Question, though. How did you know your rim was bent?? Was there an obvious change or shift in the way your car felt or could you merely see the damaged rim?? Just wondering if mine is bent.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2005, 02:30 PM
6th Gear

Naugh, the car drives the same, but I can actually see the rear wheels are kicked out a bit at the bottom. Also, I assume the tires will wear faster and it'll be a bitch to align properly.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BTW ... why in the hell does Cali have potholes?? What are they from? Earthquakes?

Cali potholes:

j/k only the last one is in Cali
Old 02-23-2005, 03:46 PM
cmf
ATCer

Well here in Jersey where it snows every other week or so, the roads are fraught with potholes like little mines ... The one hit last night was HUGE, but most are average ... but the thing is they're EVERYWHERE ...

I say that in regards to this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20393
Old 02-23-2005, 06:57 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

I hit one three nights ago while driving home in the rain. Not the size of Texas but it was deep enough to put a bulge in my right front tire and damage the undercarriage (catalytic converter heat shield is loose and there is some cable hanging down after the housing broke off). My car tracks straight though and the tumored tire hasn't lost any pressure. My technician said if the car tracks straight on a flat road then my suspension is fine. I'm getting the car examined comprehensively next week. Supposedly I can file a claim against the city if the damages exceed a certain amount.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by osubuckeye98
I hit one three nights ago while driving home in the rain. Not the size of Texas but it was deep enough to put a bulge in my right front tire and damage the undercarriage (catalytic converter heat shield is loose and there is some cable hanging down after the housing broke off). My car tracks straight though and the tumored tire hasn't lost any pressure. My technician said if the car tracks straight on a flat road then my suspension is fine. I'm getting the car examined comprehensively next week. Supposedly I can file a claim against the city if the damages exceed a certain amount.

Damn ... that's truly awful. I once hit a pothole here in Jersey and effed up my whole undercarriage. This was on my first TL...
Old 02-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by cmf
You haven't hit a real pothole till it bends the car in half. That's the way it happens in Cali.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Technically, hitting a pothole is NOT covered by warranty. If they see that there is damage from an impact, they'll let you know that it's a Customer Pay item. If your aligment is tweaked from any damage, they're not going to cover it, being that it is NOT a manufacturer's defect. Hitting a pothole is not the manufacturer's fault.

I know this because (since you may not know) I know everything. j/k I used to work for AHMC for 4 years, including time as a service rep.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Damn ... that's truly awful. I once hit a pothole here in Jersey and effed up my whole undercarriage. This was on my first TL...
Thanks for the condolences, I wrote a complaint to my city and they agreed to put the street with the pothole I hit on the list of streets to be resurfaced in 2005. Apparently I'm not the first to file a formal complaint and others have filed claims for damages. I have actually been dodging potholes on that street for about 2 years (and its lots more fun in my TSX), but the potholes finally got one in on me. I've never had so much damage from a pothole, as this is my first car with "low profile" tires. If the damages exceed $300, I may file a claim against my city just because of the sheer amount of potholes/patches on the street.

What Kurt says is absolutely correct; any road hazard damage is not covered by warranty, that is like asking Acura to replace your bumper because you backed into a loading dock.