Moonroof Philosophy

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moonroof Philosophy

I live in CA and I was wondering how the rest of you use your moonrooves.

Personally I never even open mine... as it's hot here in SoCal and I always have the AC on. However... I enjoy the sunlight so I never close the cloth panel. Anyone else here never open their moonroof?
Old 09-10-2003, 07:23 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I think i've opened mine twice Maybe i'll do it on the ride to the gym today just for fun.......
Old 09-10-2003, 07:37 PM
Advanced

...mine is open almost all the time on nice days except when the sun is at its highest point, I just keep the a/c on the recirc setting and the interior stays cool, mind you I live where the outside temperature this summer rarely went over 90 degrees...I like having the calmer airy feeling from having it open, whereas if you roll the windows down you get buffeting.

Lorne Miller
Old 09-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

I like to keep mine open a lot with the A/C on. It gives the airy feeling that Lorne Miller is talking about, without getting too hot as with the windows down.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:02 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Talking I was just thinking of this on my way home.

Funny to see this thread. My wife and I were just coming back from a weeknight of furniture shopping. On the way home we took the back way, if you will, to our house. Lots of two lane road. It's starting to get chilly at night. We drove home the entire way with the sunroof/moonroof open. My favorite time of year is fall with brisk cool evenings and bright harvest moons. Nothing beats cruising home after dark with the roof open and the moon and stars beaming in. The sunroof/moonroof is one of the top ten car features of all time!!
Old 09-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Registered AssHat

Re: I was just thinking of this on my way home.

Originally posted by MrChad
Funny to see this thread. My wife and I were just coming back from a weeknight of furniture shopping. On the way home we took the back way, if you will, to our house. Lots of two lane road. It's starting to get chilly at night. We drove home the entire way with the sunroof/moonroof open. My favorite time of year is fall with brisk cool evenings and bright harvest moons. Nothing beats cruising home after dark with the roof open and the moon and stars beaming in. The sunroof/moonroof is one of the top ten car features of all time!!
Yup. I like it when it's brisk...and I've got my bun warmers on.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Possessed with my Schemes

I find that nightime is the best time to use it, especially when the weather is nice.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Racer

I could never understand how people can drive around in a convertible, top down, in the mid-day 100+ degree weather we had this past summer in L.A. Altho, right now I have made use of my removeable roof on a regular basis during the late evenings recently. Very nice...
Old 09-10-2003, 10:03 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
mine is only on during weeks like this where its been 75 and sunny every day. perfect weather.... too bad we have maybe 4 weeks like this per year.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:55 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

That's the beauty of living in Canada. The summer is not extremely hot so you can drive with the windows and moonroof down.

On the other hand, living in Canada means winter and SNOW. The moon roof can be handy to only open the back of the roof (instead of sliding it). It brings some fresh air in the cabin without freezing totally...

Note: Most of the time when I use AC, I still havethe moonroof opened (who cares about energy savings).
Old 09-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Pro

Mine is always open (the cloth). If the sun isn't directly above my head or if it's cool enough out that it won't burn the top of my head, I'll open the window. I LOVE MY MOONROOF. I try to open it most of the time.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:33 AM
such a dirty birdy

I'm in the "always open" camp. I generally close the slider when parking it to keep it cooler inside. If the weather is bad, I'll only open the slider and leave the glass closed. For me, having a sunroof/moonroof was a requirement. The sun and fresh air make my morning commute enjoyable instead of a chore (I'm not a morning person...).
Old 09-11-2003, 12:45 AM
The Third Ball

Received 5,079 Likes on 2,696 Posts
When the weather is nice out I leave it tilted open with the windows down. Or tilted open with the AC on.

Mostly cause of hot so cal weather I leave it tilted open with the cover half closed to let hot air escape. I do always have the cover open.

But i rarely if ever actually fully open the sunroof. I bic my head and to have hot sun on your scalp while driving without tinted glass just sucks.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:03 AM
Burning Brakes

funny you guys bring this up. i love having a moon roof , but i hardly ever use it, i dont know why i just think its a cool feature. i normally keep it closed for these reasons
1. it gets too hot in the sun anf you cant read the navi screen very well with the added glare.
2 it makes it noisy in the car, i like the quiet
3 for some reason i have a hard time remembering to open it . i am not in the habit i guess.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:24 AM
Banned

I actually close the slider when I park at school... since I usually have to use uncovered parking. I never use the tilt feature though... usually closed but sometimes open. I probably spend too much time thinking about it but I like it either one way or the other and not halfway... but then again I'm crazy in that I obsess over my moonroof.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:48 AM
Burning Brakes

I get more use out of my moonroof during the winter months, when the sun lies lower toward the south.

During the summer months, I would open the moonroof in the morning before the sun rises or during the evening hours.

The moonroof is a high priority item for me, after the manual tranny, it's a deal killer if the car doesn't have one.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:37 AM
Racer

I love the moonroof. There is nothing like driving on a warm night with the moonroof open and the moonlight is glemming inside your car. I also find myself using the moonroof more at the evening hours when it is summer. When winter time rolls around, moonroof use skyrockets as i can pull cool air from the outside.

oh yeah, its a nice feeling with a hand on the steering wheel and a hand in the sky
Old 09-11-2003, 05:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by tehCOW
I love the moonroof. There is nothing like driving on a warm night with the moonroof open and the moonlight is glemming inside your car. I also find myself using the moonroof more at the evening hours when it is summer. When winter time rolls around, moonroof use skyrockets as i can pull cool air from the outside.

oh yeah, its a nice feeling with a hand on the steering wheel and a hand in the sky
Couldn't agree with ya more. I used to have a sunroof (no glass) and I absolutely had to have a moonroof. The moonroof is open probably 80% of my drive time. I usually don't have it open in the mornings, but I do in the evenings, even if it is very warm.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:16 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dig the moonroof. It seems much larger in the TSX vs. my old CL-S. I also like how the glass stays inside the roof as opposed to my old Prelude. It's also much quieter than both of those cars. Sometimes I drive on the interstate with the roof open and it doesn't make too much noise or wind. I can also drive at low speeds with just the roof open, no windows. Basically, I open the roof any time it's not raining and I'm not working.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

I'm also in the open-as-much-as-possible camp. When it's cool outside and you want the fresh air without all the wind noise of windows down -- it's perfect. And in winter, you can vent out all the stale air and have your heater on at the same time. The only times I don't like it open is when the sun is up high and beaming down on me. The moonroof would be deal breaker if I couldn't get one.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Instructor

I love driving with the back windows open about 3-4" and the moonroof all the way open, it make it feel almost like a convertible
Old 09-11-2003, 09:10 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

It gets pretty hot and (more importantly) very humid in Toronto during the summer but I still drive with the moonroof open as much as possible. I may run the AC for the first couple minutes to cool the car off but then its all open roof after that
Old 09-11-2003, 10:54 AM
Burning Brakes

OK, today's honor for Dumb Question of the Day goes to me:

What's the difference between a moonroof and a sunroof?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

I always drive with the moonroof tilted open, unless it is raining. Personally, because of high gas prices, I rarely use my airconditioning - so the windows are usually open wide and the sunroof tilted. If its too cold to keep the windos open, I just keep the roof tilted. Having the sunroof open, even just a smidge, it creates a sort of vaccum in the car, causing air to be drawn through the vents to provide a refreshing gust even if the air conditioning is off. Saves on fuel and provides comfort all at one time!

J.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:04 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Brad
OK, today's honor for Dumb Question of the Day goes to me:

What's the difference between a moonroof and a sunroof?

moonroofs are glass.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:04 AM

its pretty hot and humid in FL so i only open the moonroof in the morning or evening when the heat isnt as bad...
Old 09-11-2003, 11:46 AM
Kickstand

I never use my A/C....my roof is always open along with all 4 windows unless it is raining.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:52 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

In the South FL summer it's too hot for anything to be open most of the time.. including the cloth shade. I've been opening it a little more lately, though.

Even if I don't use it often, I've always had a sunroof/moonroof and wouldn't want to buy a car without it.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Four months of the year in Phoenix, the daytime temp stays around 105-110 degrees and seriously sunny while the nights average of 90-95 degrees (the urban effect according to the natives). Man, you don't open no windows, no how and if your hair is thinning you wear a hat. We have a sun/moon roof on our MDX and the TSX and I usually love to open them up but I wait til the fall (or what passes for fall here in the southwest) and then I use them tilted or wide open whenever I can -- because I can. I do love the automatic windows-open feature with the opener. It helps get the hot air out of the car before I get in. Do you think Acura could add the moonroof to the automatic windows-open feature?

gotsand?
Old 09-11-2003, 09:43 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by dabuda2004
its pretty hot and humid in FL so i only open the moonroof in the morning or evening when the heat isnt as bad...
Same boat here seeing how MCO is just a town over. I don't think any of us will get decent use until winter.. uh, I meant "winter" - burr.. down to the 40s or 50s tops. (ok, maybe some weirdo 20's in the middle of the night like 1 or 2 times a year)

-r
Old 09-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by fdl
moonroofs are glass.
Glass? Ooooooooooooooooooooops! I guess I meant that I open the glass roof. I like to open the whole darned thing except when the sun is high in the sky.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:22 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

I use my moonroof during the fall when going for a nice 75 degree or below ride.