MID/Navi Caller ID?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Chris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MID/Navi Caller ID?

I noticed that when someone calls me there's no way to tell who it is from the multi informational display. Is there a way to set it so that it speaks the person's name if you've set them in the phone book?

Is there any way to have an identifier of who's calling besides the phone number?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Hailing from the 3-0-5

I have an '06 and the telephone number is displayed in the MID, but no name. That would be cool if it could be done!
Old 01-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Cruisin'

Yea that would be great if if it could display the name but as far as I know, its not possible
Old 01-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Alaskan '06 TSX

I just tried messing with the phonebook options for a while, and found no way to get a name or name recognition to come up. Looks like we'll just have to go off the phone number displayed on the MID.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya you just have to go by the number... it is kinda annoying but that's the way it goes...

i've started just carrying my phone in reach so i can see who it is so i look at the phone and then pick up accordingly
Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Registered Car Nut

Agreed... no way to display the name. I keep my phone in the centre console, so I can easily open it to see who's calling if I don't recognize the number...
Old 01-29-2007, 02:52 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I basically just set up my phone so only certain phone numbers can call me. If they're not an authorized caller, HFL will ring once so I know that I had received a call. That way, I can just check the phone when the vehicle is stopped (IE: I know it's safe to answer even if I don't recognize the phone number)

I don't think there is a way to make the name show. I think HFL simply shows the data that the cell phone has given it (ie: the phone number). The name that shows up in your phone's display would normally be the phone number as well, unless you set a display name for that number (address book name).

In order to make the HFL display the name, the HFL's programming would have to be changed from rudimentary to sophisticated. It would entail "teaching" the car how to remember names, and how to display the name instead of the phone number.

Problem with that is Acura isn't a cell phone company...they're just trying to make a unit that would work with as many cell phones as possible. The more complex you make something, the more limitations you have to impose in it's use. Every cell phone transmits different amounts/types of data, which is why some phones can't display battery or signal strength (if the phone doesn't report it, HFL can't show it).

If Acura does improve it, they'll probably have to decide which phone manufacturer to cater their units to, and have all acura owners switch to that phone company. They would also have to change their website to say that the unit only works with select cell phones (which may hurt sales). Is it likely? You tell me.

Besides, you guys are too dependent on your devices. Memorizing some phone numbers is good for your memory. It's also good for you if your cell phone is dead and you're at a payphone trying to get a ride home late at night beside a biker bar....lol