Mazdaspeed 6 Eats TSX For Lunch?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:15 AM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Mazda goes up against the Realtime TSX? Can't remember if it was the 6 or 3?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never specified that it was a rebadged USDM accord. It is an Accord though. Just rebadged from the rest of the world that does not need an oversized version like the US and Canada. It was great for them to bring it over here, but rebadging it still does not make it a luxury car. Very reliable, yes, but the quality of the materials are Accord grade. And just to clear it up, by quality I don't mean items being reliable, I mean the grade of finish. Cheaper plastics Etc. And sweeping generalizations that happen to be true. How else could GM actually come out with an H3 and a whole new Escalade it people weren't worried about appearance and put them selves in debt to get it.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Don't feed the trolls fellas....Jetta trolls, Lexus trolls....
Old 06-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Which Mazda goes up against the Realtime TSX? Can't remember if it was the 6 or 3?
6...Jeff Altenberg?
Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JTC05
It mostly is a switch the badge, And that is knowing quite a bit about the car. It is no secret that the greatest portion of american car buyers lease. Americans are well known for living in debt and above there means. Because of this young professionals 30+ are easily swayed into a TL or just opt for the BMW or Audi. Example, my lease on the TSX is $325 a month. The dealer right away tried to get me to look at a TL for $395. For just a cup of Starbucks a day, I could drive a TL instead. The local Audi dealer also has billboards with A4 leases of $324 a month on a Quattro model for 24 months. BMW has a 325 advertised for $365. The young professional wants to feel like he or she has finally made it, and all of these models will be that much more impressive at the class reunion. Unfortunately this is the American way. I already have the A4, so when I needed a reliable 4 door that could hold a baby seat in the back, give me good mileage and be a little sportier than the Accord, the TSX was the answer. So even though Acura targets the 30+, the 20 somethings are buying them. The 40+ are buying RL's and 30+ TL's. And I hate to break the news to you but the old IS300 would beat up a TSX and the new IS does a fair job as well. So as far as it driving like a Buick? maybe the ES.
Yes, it is ~90% a "badge switch", but it is not a bad switch with an "Accord". The TSX is an award-winning entry-level sport sedan (e.g., C&D 10 best, etc.) from a luxury brand - the "Accord" is not in that category. "Luxury" is a tough one to nail down as everyone seems to have a different definition. For example, someone who drives a Bentley might not think an S500 is a luxury car.

I hear ya on the leasing - it's crazy that I could easily afford to lease an M5 or M6 (esp. if I got rid of the TSX!)... but I wouldn't buy one, either.

I also would like to know the real stats of the age of people buying the various Acura models. And also leasing. For example, are the 20-somethings leasing or buying more than the 30-somethings, etc. You're generalization is similar to others, but completely opposite from yet some others (for example, I often see old ladies driving the TSX - should I conclude that only gray-haired grannies drive the TSX?).

IS300 in sheer performance did outperform the TSX by a bit in direct comparisons (some people posted when the TSX came out after driving back to back on a track), but lost in every other way outside of performance - except, of course, perhaps for build quality. While I freely admit to having no interest in test driving cars I'm not going to buy, reviews indicate that the IS250 is not really any faster than a TSX, is more luxurious as one would expect for a car costing more, and drivers "suffer" from some road isolation. The latter criticism has not been leveled at the TSX.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Instructor

I love my TSX for what it is, but I seem to be one of the few honest people on here that actual accept it for what it is and not pretend for it to be something different. It's main competitors are Mazdas, Subarus, Accords and some Fords and Chevys. When you drive one back to back against a BMW, Audi, Lexus or a TL(which is in there class) you will notice a difference. Reliability aside, people look for prestige, and when you factor in leases and short term owning, the reliability doesn't matter as much. Acura needs to step up the TSX a couple of notches to be worthy of a $28k sticker these days.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Instructor

Comparisons are COMPLEX

Seriously guys, take things for what they are.

If you want to make a comparison...

Its a PERSONAL decision, because there are many factors. Its about BANG FOR YOUR BUCK.

BANG = the features that matter most to you
BUCK = staying within a set budget

You can get a faster car. You can get a more luxurious car. You can get a car with more technology. You can get a quieter car.

But the Acura TSX is an undeniable value. In the 25k-30k range this car offers a LOT of bang for your buck. But this all matters on your priorities. The TSX excels in interior quality, technology, reliability, resale value, etc. If your top priority is off the line acceleration then the TSX might not be the best value to you.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Benchwarmer

I love my TSX for what it is, but I seem to be one of the few honest people on here that actual accept it for what it is and not pretend for it to be something different. It's main competitors are Mazdas, Subarus, Accords and some Fords and Chevys. When you drive one back to back against a BMW, Audi, Lexus or a TL(which is in there class) you will notice a difference. Reliability aside, people look for prestige, and when you factor in leases and short term owning, the reliability doesn't matter as much. Acura needs to step up the TSX a couple of notches to be worthy of a $28k sticker these days.
Come on! 99% of car enthusiasts will chose Acura over any of Mazdas.....Chevys. Especially if you argue prestige like you say. I drove one back to back with an A4 and really didn't notice any dramatic differences. I owned an A4 for 6 years. Nice car. I've owned a TSX for 1 month. Nice car. Maybe the '06 advances in the TSX cloud your perception? Lexus is a damn fine automaker, but as a 33-year old guy, I'm not paying $8,000 more to say "I've made it."
Old 06-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Arriving Somewhere...

When are we going to learn that Internet forums provide a very bad sample for statistcal analysis? I bet there are mostly 20 somethings on the Buick forums too. According to a press release from last September (hondanews.com), the TSX demographics are as follows:

50 percent male
Median age 43 years
60 percent married
78 percent college educated
$86,000 median household income
Old 06-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Yup! seems like you are really the few one over here that really care about the "brand", "prestige", "luxury"...etc. And you also think you are the only one over here are ever drive a Audi, BMW, Lexus...etc.

Most of us buying our TSX are because it overall drive great and we want to keep the car for more than 5-6 yr and need a practical car. How is the IS300 being practical if it is damn too small and feel very unsafe when the side door is just touching my arm. How it can be luxury if the car need to be in the shop 10 times a year and need to fight with your SA in order to not get scam? How can some thing that made in US are being consider should market to the public????
Old 06-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
Come on! 99% of car enthusiasts will chose Acura over any of Mazdas.....Chevys. Especially if you argue prestige like you say. I drove one back to back with an A4 and really didn't notice any dramatic differences. I owned an A4 for 6 years. Nice car. I've owned a TSX for 1 month. Nice car. Maybe the '06 advances in the TSX cloud your perception? Lexus is a damn fine automaker, but as a 33-year old guy, I'm not paying $8,000 more to say "I've made it."
Maybe a 6 year old A4 doesn't have much differences. I have a 03' A4 and a 05' TSX. I have also driven my sister-in-laws Mazda 6 numerous times. The TSX is very similar to the Mazda in a lot of ways. The A4 seems to be a whole different level. Fit and finish, quality of materials, the ride and road noise and just the general feel of driving. And while some people won't pay $8,000. more to say they have made it, others will because they have made it and don't want to settle. The fact that Acuras demo shows mostly males and a good portion married, really shows that it is not a mature car. Most married men are always finding a way to grab back there youth or find something that makes them feel like a kid. The TSX is a good compromise because the wife sees it as a 4-door built by honda. It is our only way of geeting something semi-sporty that the wife doesn't know about. I am 35 and married. My Audi is mature, the TSX is fun.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Forgot to note that the Mazda is a 6s fully loaded so it is a direct comparo.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
wow...someone has really been dipping into the kool-aid...

Old 06-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
wow...someone has really been dipping into the kool-aid...

Yeah, I think it is the one they have been serving at the Acura dealer that tricks people into thinking that they are not buying an Accord.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 AM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
6...Jeff Altenberg?
Thanks.

<--- should upgrade Adelphia to include TIVO receiver

Everytime I tune into SPEED channel, damn NASCAR is always showing!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:31 AM
VSA Rocks

Yeah, I think it is the one they have been serving at the Acura dealer that tricks people into thinking that they are not buying an Accord.
I agree. I put on some TSX badges on my co-workers 2005 Accord and nobody could tell the difference (including himself).

It's so close, I even find myself accidently trying to open the door on his car!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^
Old 06-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Instructor

I agree. I put on some TSX badges on my co-workers 2005 Accord and nobody could tell the difference (including himself).

It's so close, I even find myself accidently trying to open the door on his car!
Well if your co-workers Accord is a european model then you are 100% correct. The US accord is specifically built here for our larger car demands. The TSX is just an Accord from every where else with Acura badges. Yes they gave us the top engine but it is still just an Accord which is a direct competitor to a Mazda 6, a Ford Fusion and a pontiac G6. Get over it.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

Well if your co-workers Accord is a european model then you are 100% correct. The US accord is specifically built here for our larger car demands. The TSX is just an Accord from every where else with Acura badges. Yes they gave us the top engine but it is still just an Accord which is a direct competitor to a Mazda 6, a Ford Fusion and a pontiac G6. Get over it.
If you knew what you were talking about then you wouldn't be saying this. Take a closer look at the Euro Accord and at the TSX, read the specs, then tell me that they only differ in the badges.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Benchwarmer

Originally Posted by jlukja
If you knew what you were talking about then you wouldn't be saying this. Take a closer look at the Euro Accord and at the TSX, read the specs, then tell me that they only differ in the badges.
You're taking his bait! Just respond that a Passat is a rebadged A6. Same logic.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Benchwarmer

Maybe a 6 year old A4 doesn't have much differences. I have a 03' A4 and a 05' TSX. I have also driven my sister-in-laws Mazda 6 numerous times. The TSX is very similar to the Mazda in a lot of ways. The A4 seems to be a whole different level. Fit and finish, quality of materials, the ride and road noise and just the general feel of driving. And while some people won't pay $8,000. more to say they have made it, others will because they have made it and don't want to settle. The fact that Acuras demo shows mostly males and a good portion married, really shows that it is not a mature car. Most married men are always finding a way to grab back there youth or find something that makes them feel like a kid. The TSX is a good compromise because the wife sees it as a 4-door built by honda. It is our only way of geeting something semi-sporty that the wife doesn't know about. I am 35 and married. My Audi is mature, the TSX is fun.
I can buy into the fact that you have personal preferences with your A4 and TSX, but I can't buy into your unfounded generalizations about brand quality.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
i would've loved to have test drove the speed6...

i think it's a very nice competitor to the sti and evoIX.
Despite the power ratings, the MS6 is just about as fast as a Legacy GT. It's not even close to an STi or Evo.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Have camera, will travel

Dude, you have issues.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
I can buy into the fact that you have personal preferences with your A4 and TSX, but I can't buy into your unfounded generalizations about brand quality.
And about Americans, and about the reasons people buy these cars, etc, etc...
Old 06-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Safety Car

Thanks.
Last time I checked, I think Mazda is in the points lead, but with rewards weight being what it is, it usually not good to be in the lead this early. good effort by them though.

I would love to split SPEED into "the NASCAR channel" and "The everything other than NASCAR channel".
Old 06-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude, get of the crack, and please get over yourself.

It's just funny to see how many people on this board who come from Audis, BMWs and MBs or even those who simply cross-shopped with these cars who now own TSXs. It would be just plain ignorance to say the TSX is not in direct competition with these too.

And I don't know where the idea of cheaper materials in the TSX come from but it sure as hell isn't what reviewers are saying when they compare the TSX to other BMWs, Audis, MBs and Saabs of this world.
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
I would love to split SPEED into "the NASCAR channel" and "The everything other than NASCAR channel".
Burning Brakes

/thread
Old 06-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Have camera, will travel

Thanks.

<--- should upgrade Adelphia to include TIVO receiver

Spot on! Speed used to be a great channel, but this entire past weekend it seemed like they ran nothing but NASCAR. I'm getting sick of it. Too bad, because their F1 coverage aces CBS's big time. F1 is about the only saving grace they have left.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by waTSX
Spot on! Speed used to be a great channel, but this entire past weekend it seemed like they ran nothing but NASCAR. I'm getting sick of it. Too bad, because their F1 coverage aces CBS's big time. F1 is about the only saving grace they have left.
Still, their F1 coverage sucks big time compared to ITV broadcast.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

The fact that Acuras demo shows mostly males and a good portion married, really shows that it is not a mature car. Most married men are always finding a way to grab back there youth or find something that makes them feel like a kid.
This is some really twisted logic upscale cars can only be marketed towards males who won't get married, or have been divorced, because they are by far the most mature group of people. Never mind the fact that married people are responsible for a family, raising kids etc.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sauceman
Dude, get of the crack, and please get over yourself.

It's just funny to see how many people on this board who come from Audis, BMWs and MBs or even those who simply cross-shopped with these cars who now own TSXs. It would be just plain ignorance to say the TSX is not in direct competition with these too.

And I don't know where the idea of cheaper materials in the TSX come from but it sure as hell isn't what reviewers are saying when they compare the TSX to other BMWs, Audis, MBs and Saabs of this world.
Also, I never see a single cheap material from Honda will peel off like those prestige material on the Audi

Also I definitely will pick the MazdaSpeed 6 over ne Audi.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mockenrue
When are we going to learn that Internet forums provide a very bad sample for statistcal analysis? I bet there are mostly 20 somethings on the Buick forums too. According to a press release from last September (hondanews.com), the TSX demographics are as follows:

50 percent male
Median age 43 years
60 percent married
78 percent college educated
$86,000 median household income
Thanks for posting those stats! This is pretty much as I'd expected, and skewing higher in age than Acura was originally targeting when they launched the TSX.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:25 PM
VSA Rocks

While I agree with your first statement that the US market wanted a bigger car, you're wayy off base on the statement of it competing directly with the TSX.

Look at Edmunds.com:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/acura/tsx/index.html

I see alot of luxury cars: Audi, BMW, Lexus, MB, but no Mazda.

I don't think I've seen a single comparison with the TSX vs. Mazda 6 from ANY reputable car reviewer.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MattJP
I think the better comparo for the Mazdaspeed 6 is with the Legacy GT spec b.
true...
Old 06-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Drifting

you do have a point.

from marketing perspective, acura has been viewed as an entry level luxury brand (based on their product line-up).

1. toyota, honda, nissan, ford, mazda, chevy, etc.
2. acura
3. lexus, infiniti, bmw, audi, etc.

acura does seem to occupy a weird space in the automotive industry from a prestige/luxury brand point of view. is it bad? i don't think so.

i can't think of any other brands that may also occupy the #2 space on my list.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Drifting

While I agree with your first statement that the US market wanted a bigger car, you're wayy off base on the statement of it competing directly with the TSX.

Look at Edmunds.com:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/acura/tsx/index.html

I see alot of luxury cars: Audi, BMW, Lexus, MB, but no Mazda.

I don't think I've seen a single comparison with the TSX vs. Mazda 6 from ANY reputable car reviewer.
true...

but, the 05 tsx had been compared to the 06 vw gli.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107677

like i've said, the acura brand does occupy a unique space in the north american auto industry.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by afici0nad0
you do have a point.

from marketing perspective, acura has been viewed as an entry level luxury brand (based on their product line-up).

1. toyota, honda, nissan, ford, mazda, chevy, etc.
2. acura
3. lexus, infiniti, bmw, audi, etc.

acura does seem to occupy a weird space in the automotive industry from a prestige/luxury brand point of view. is it bad? i don't think so.

i can't think of any other brands that may also occupy the #2 space on my list.
Infiniti does, though they don't really seem happy with it and are trying to leave #2. As does Saab. Some people would also put Audi in this group and leave the #3 in your post as Lexus, BMW, Mercedes (and a #4 would be something like Bentley, Rolls, on the lux side and/or Ferrari etc. on performance).
Old 06-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Arriving Somewhere...

I agree. I think number 2 on your list would include Acura, Infiniti, Volvo, and Saab. Some might argue that it includes Lincoln and Cadillac too.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Drifting

^

ya. i've read other responses to include infiniti in #2 also.

Quick Reply: Mazdaspeed 6 Eats TSX For Lunch?!?!