maxima vs tsx

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 07:36 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maxima vs tsx

which would be a better buy. tha only thing that is really makin me think about gettin tha tsx is that i can get tha navi and it would be less than tha maxima.

so its black on black maxima or carbon gray on quartz tsx
Old 11-26-2003, 07:45 PM
Racer

Re: maxima vs tsx

Originally posted by mcholla8
which would be a better buy. tha only thing that is really makin me think about gettin tha tsx is that i can get tha navi and it would be less than tha maxima.

so its black on black maxima or carbon gray on quartz tsx
They really are different cars, so you have to ask yourself what you want in a car. The max is a big highway cruiser with a big engine but the TSX is smaller with sportier handling. I've had two maximas and my favorite was the '91 because of it's handling. That is why I picked the TSX over the max. My '01 max was a boat and the new one is better, but not that much. If you really want the max, then get it because you'd probably have buyers remorse later on if you got the TSX.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I faced a similar choice. At first, I wanted the Maxima because I thought the HP would be fun. But, the interior in the new Maxima is nowhere near as nice as the interior in the older models. Also, the ride in the SE version is horrible. No isolation at all. Add all that together with torque steer, and the superior reliability of Honda products, and I think it becomes an easier choice.

Frankly, if you are going to spend $ for a fully loaded Maxima, you'd be better off moving up to a TL.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:16 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by darth62
Frankly, if you are going to spend $ for a fully loaded Maxima, you'd be better off moving up to a TL.
Exactly. The TL kills the Maxima. Depending on your budget, you should get the TSX or the TL.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:38 PM

The new Maxima is an overweight, severely overpriced, under interior, Tennesse built, overpowered (FWD) Lexus GS looking knock-off POS.

TSX and TL> 6th gen Maxima.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:55 PM
Bound for Europe

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
The new Maxima is an overweight, severely overpriced, under interior, Tennesse built, overpowered (FWD) Lexus GS looking knock-off POS.

TSX and TL> 6th gen Maxima.
I'd have to agree. The new Max is like Nissan's version of the Chevy Caprice = el boat-o
The front end was ugly enough to make me turn and run from the Nissan display at the auto show.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Soze75
I'd have to agree. The new Max is like Nissan's version of the Chevy Caprice = el boat-o
The front end was ugly enough to make me turn and run from the Nissan display at the auto show.
Come on now, the Max is much better than the Caprice. I loved the look of the car until I saw the front end. Wow. How could that actually be put into production?
Old 11-26-2003, 09:22 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

In size the Maxima is closer in size to a bus than a TSX (to my eyes at least).

If you want a manual tranny on the MAxima, please give it a try before you buy. The shifts are pretty long and not as smooth as the TSX.

The engine on the Maxima is much much more powerfull than the TSX...

The TL may be a better match to the Max...

Regards
Old 11-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Jason
Exactly. The TL kills the Maxima.
You be the judge. Click on this link and go to "compare with other vehicles" on the left bar. Enter the 2004 Max.

http://modelreports.cars.com/modelda...7&aff=national
Old 11-26-2003, 09:31 PM
Bound for Europe

Come on now, the Max is much better than the Caprice. I loved the look of the car until I saw the front end. Wow. How could that actually be put into production?
Yes, one of the worst front ends indeed. I can't stand the vertical headlight clusters and then the grille...ugh. I too was excited to see what they'd do to a model I always admired. Now, the Maxima name has been demoted to the laugh-heap in my mind. Maybe the company on that other thread that remade the JDM Accord, can save the Maxima.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:46 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Personally I think the TSX is a much better buy than the Maxima. From what I've heard, the Maxima's got gobs of torque...and torque steer as well. It's definitely more powerful than the TSX, though. That and the Maxima's size are probably its only winnings over the TSX.

I think the TSX looks a lot better, and the interior blows away the Maxima's. It's the finer attention to details that makes the TSX the better choice in my book. I wouldn't be able to stand the look of the Maxima on my driveway, and its interior isn't all that bad, but for the price that it's selling at, it should be a few steps higher. I would feel as if I didn't get my money's worth.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Racer

Mcholla,
That disgustingly ugly Maxima body should make it an easy decision for ya.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

I don’t know about you guys but to me the interior of a car is the most important. Every single Nissan/Infinity product I a have considered recently has turned me off in 5 seconds because of the interior. Before I bought the TSX I looked at the 300ZX and the G35 Coup. Both nice cars but I couldn’t justify the extra cash and feel like I was sitting in a Yugo. Cheap Cheap plasticy feel all over the interior. The interior bins felt like the doors would fall off if you pulled too hard. I distinctly remember a nice V6 Altima I test drove. When I put me hand into the map pocket on the drivers door the inside edge of the pocket exterior was so rough and unfinished that I got a cut running y hand along it. More recently I am shopping for a new minivan for my wife. I sat into new Nissan minivan. It was the same thing all over again. The interior quality is terrible. I am going to go for the Odyssey. It’s a much nicer van.

For me the TSX is unbelievable. The interior is first rate and if I keep driving my CG 6mt the way I enjoy it I probably won’t have a license left in a few months. My only caveat is with the leather quality. I wouldn’t mind a full leather not pleather interior with softer leather.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

I don’t know about you guys but to me the interior of a car is the most important. Every single Nissan/Infinity product I a have considered recently has turned me off in 5 seconds because of the interior. Before I bought the TSX I looked at the 300ZX and the G35 Coup. Both nice cars but I couldn’t justify the extra cash and feel like I was sitting in a Yugo. Cheap Cheap plasticy feel all over the interior. The interior bins felt like the doors would fall off if you pulled too hard. I distinctly remember a nice V6 Altima I test drove. When I put me hand into the map pocket on the drivers door the inside edge of the pocket exterior was so rough and unfinished that I got a cut running y hand along it. More recently I am shopping for a new minivan for my wife. I sat into new Nissan minivan. It was the same thing all over again. The interior quality is terrible. I am going to go for the Odyssey. It’s a much nicer van.

For me the TSX is unbelievable. The interior is first rate and if I keep driving my CG 6mt the way I enjoy it I probably won’t have a license left in a few months. My only caveat is with the leather quality. I wouldn’t mind a full leather not pleather interior with softer leather.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:10 PM
Instructor

You be the judge. Click on this link and go to "compare with other vehicles" on the left bar. Enter the 2004 Max.

http://modelreports.cars.com/modelda...7&aff=national
Just did it, and I didn't realize how close these cars are feature/option wise. On paper they are almost evenly matched. I found it odd that some features on the MAXIMA aren't even availible on the TL and vice versa. I would have thought that the TL would get better gas milage than the MAXMIA since it has the smaller engine and all.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Not an Ashtray

The TL's engine is slightly smaller, but it is more powerful and, in actuality, there isn't much difference in the MPG. And, yeah, the Max has some features that are not present on the TL (like power folding windows). For that matter, the lowly Passat has features that are not on the TL. So what? I'd rather have the better vehicle with a few features absent.

And, btw, the TL has some features that the Maxima does not have, For example, the Max SL doesn't even have a five speen tranny. It doens't have bluetooth, DVD, or a voice actuated Nav system either.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Maxima is WAY OVER PRICED. I'd buy a TSX or TL before a maxima. Maxima's are a WASTE OF MONEY.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:19 PM
Advanced

In anticipating my next car buy, I had always figured the Maxima would be in the running, with its 6 cyl. and MT availability, but then....the latest model came out and I couldn't believe that it was even uglier, by far, than the previous Maxima model, which was no looker either. The styling is laughable really, and as soon as I saw it I knew it was out of the running for me. I mean...that front end LOL!!! I was in a real quandary and then, thank goodness, the TSX came out and made my decision very easy.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Not an Ashtray

I don't think the Maxima is that ugly, on the exterior. The interior is cheap though, and the ride on the SE version is a joke.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Kick Ass Duke

You're better off with a G35 for the price of a loaded Maxima. The G35 is better looking and faster and its rear wheel drive.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:09 PM
BDI
Banned

Originally posted by SweetA$$Ride
You're better off with a G35 for the price of a loaded Maxima. The G35 is better looking and faster and its rear wheel drive.
or AWD
Old 12-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Intermediate

apples to oranges comparison, get the TL, nuff said
Old 12-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
mcholla8, they are such different cars! The Maxima is HUGE. I do like its avant garde styling but I am not sure if it will age well. Moreover, just like someone else said, with all the options added to the base price, you are going to pay the price of a TL, which is much nicer.

I am not sure what's up with Nissan lately - the optional packages are so expensive! So the base price of these cars (Maxima, Altima, Murano etc.) is very deceptive.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:35 PM
Kick Ass Duke

Is it just me or do the new TL's look very Pontiac-ie? The front looks kinda like our TSX's but the side and the back arent really lookin that great.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:51 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
OMG!!! SweetA$$Ride, now that you have said it... the cars that come to mind now include Pontiac and Dodge Stratus... no, no, no, I need to get these bad thoughts out of my head!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Racer

I think Maxima doesn't look bad. But for a car at that price, it should have way better quality than that.

It's just like after Mazda was taken over by Ford, they started to cut corners. Same as Nissan, after they were taken over by Renault, they cut the quality of their interior too. Just go look at Maxima's interior, for example, they use colors stitchs that doesn't match with the seatbelt color. Not to mention the leather on the shift knob.

It's all the small thing that built up the whole car. If they can not take care the small part in the interior, how can they take care of the engine they make? Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Kick Ass Duke

Maximum??? What the hell company makes Maximum's???
Old 12-10-2003, 07:51 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally posted by Habiib
Just did it, and I didn't realize how close these cars are feature/option wise. On paper they are almost evenly matched. I found it odd that some features on the MAXIMA aren't even availible on the TL and vice versa. I would have thought that the TL would get better gas milage than the MAXMIA since it has the smaller engine and all.
I clicked on 2003 and 2004...the Maxima went up in hp and torque, from 255hp and 246 lb-ft for 2003, to 265hp and 255 lb-ft for 2004, but gas mileage went down to 20/28 from 21/28. Maybe the TL is geared more aggressively? Also, they keep saying the TL doesn't have fog lights, but it does!
Old 12-11-2003, 01:46 PM
Racer

Originally posted by SweetA$$Ride
Maximum??? What the hell company makes Maximum's???
Don't be picky. :P