Map/dome lights dim but dont turn off

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024 | 07:33 PM
Racer

Map/dome lights dim but dont turn off

Hello,
My car has developed a new issue. When I close or lock the doors, the map and dome lights dim but don't fully turn off.
I’ve had LED bulbs for over 3 years with no issues. Any suggestions on what it could be?
Old 09-22-2024 | 01:30 AM
6th Gear

Is your selector switch set to Door or Off? IME this came from grounding issues due to failed microswitches in the dome light when it was set to off instead of door, even though the switch still worked to turn it on/off as a map light.
Old 09-24-2024 | 11:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by defekTSX
Is your selector switch set to Door or Off? IME this came from grounding issues due to failed microswitches in the dome light when it was set to off instead of door, even though the switch still worked to turn it on/off as a map light.
I think you are correct. I went ahead and purchased a set of new halogen bulbs just to eliminate possible issues with the LED. when I went to install them I noticed the switch was set to off. I don't remember if I did that to stop it from draining the battery or if it was already off. But after turning the switch to Door, the halogen lights were turning off completely after locking the door. I put the LED bulbs back in and they were also working fine, until i tried to place the cover back on, then they started flickering and acting up again. I got them work properly and placed the cover back on and they have been working fine since, but I am afraid there is something wrong with the map light base/assembly.
Old 09-24-2024 | 12:21 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dominik331
I think you are correct. I went ahead and purchased a set of new halogen bulbs just to eliminate possible issues with the LED. when I went to install them I noticed the switch was set to off. I don't remember if I did that to stop it from draining the battery or if it was already off. But after turning the switch to Door, the halogen lights were turning off completely after locking the door. I put the LED bulbs back in and they were also working fine, until i tried to place the cover back on, then they started flickering and acting up again. I got them work properly and placed the cover back on and they have been working fine since, but I am afraid there is something wrong with the map light base/assembly.
personally I was able to fix this by replacing the map light switches, they're pretty cheap on Amazon/eBay. simply pop the map light lenses, unscrew the assembly (2 screws), pop the old switches out from the side, and pop the new switches in. there's a couple YouTube videos on how to do it for the tsx/accord (same process). this also had the side effect of making my door switch work properly. I did end up going back to traditional incandescent though because I liked the lighting better in the dark on my parchment interior