Maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance questions

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 TSX, and I have a few questions regarding the mainteance for it.

First of all, I have 14,100 miles on it. I've already done the A 1 service, the B 1 service, and now I'm about due for the second A 1 service (whatever comes after B 1). Anyway's, I picked up a nail a few months ago, that resulted in an almost flat tire. So, I made a trip to Acura where they removed the nail, and patched the hole. However, while driving my car out of the service center, the tech accidentally reseted my oil life monitor in the MID. He informed the Service Manager of this, and she told me to just come back when it hits 60% for the A 1 service. I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I'm wondering if that will screw up when I'm actually suppose to get an oil change. I wasn't sure if it monitors differently once the oil percentage gets lower. Can anyone confirm this?

Second of all, I'm just curious what all of you are CURRENTLY paying for B 1, B 2 services, etc. I'm thinking that my dealership might be a little high, but I wanted to get some other opinions. I'm located in a Chicago nothern suburb. If you guys could let me know, that would be great!

Third of all, how come ONLY the oil is changed on the A 1 service? Shouldn't the oil filter be swapped out every oil change? I've owned GM vehicles in the past, and at every oil change interval, they replaced the oil filter. Any thoughts?

Thanks much!

Jeff
Old 02-29-2008, 12:08 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Oil filters are only replaced every other oil change. If you changed it at every oil change, you'll just be wasting money. I think Honda's been doing this for many years....I remember following the "every other oil change" rule for my accords for as long as i can remember...

So far I've had A, A1, and B1....but most of it is just an oil and filter change (with some additional inspection items). I'm handy with my car, so I don't pay any stealerships money to do something that they probably won't do (ie: just skim over the stuff in just a minute).

The oil life indicator just predicts the oil life of your car. It has lost the early data (ie: if you used to do alot of short trips), but it's more or less just a timer of approximately when you should replace your oil. I wouldn't sweat on the reset.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:05 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by JLTSX07
Hey guys,

I have a 2007 TSX, and I have a few questions regarding the maintenance for it.

First of all, I have 14,100 miles on it. I've already done the A 1 service, the B 1 service, and now I'm about due for the second A 1 service (whatever comes after B 1). Anyway's, I picked up a nail a few months ago, that resulted in an almost flat tire. So, I made a trip to Acura where they removed the nail, and patched the hole. However, while driving my car out of the service center, the tech accidentally reseted my oil life monitor in the MID. He informed the Service Manager of this, and she told me to just come back when it hits 60% for the A 1 service. I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I'm wondering if that will screw up when I'm actually suppose to get an oil change. I wasn't sure if it monitors differently once the oil percentage gets lower. Can anyone confirm this?

Second of all, I'm just curious what all of you are CURRENTLY paying for B 1, B 2 services, etc. I'm thinking that my dealership might be a little high, but I wanted to get some other opinions. I'm located in a Chicago nothern suburb. If you guys could let me know, that would be great!

Third of all, how come ONLY the oil is changed on the A 1 service? Shouldn't the oil filter be swapped out every oil change? I've owned GM vehicles in the past, and at every oil change interval, they replaced the oil filter. Any thoughts?

Thanks much!

Jeff
If you read the maintenance book (or owner's manual, can't remember which), it explains the different codes for the maintenance reminder. There's A and B and then a series of numbers 1-6 I think, each designating a different service procedure. Your A1 and B1 were timed about right; your next service should be an A1 (oil and filter and I think tire rotation) and you really shouldn't hit it till around 20K (that seems to be the consensus here, and that's when my 07 started to flash it). If I were you, I'd run it till then, have an A1 service performed, and that would do it. They'll reset the reminder and you'll be pretty much back on schedule. My dealer has always replaced the filter at every oil change they do for me (every 10K on the 05 and when needed on the 07)(I change the oil myself at the 5K interval between dealer stops on the 05) regardless of Honda's call for a change every other oil change (it's cheap insurance, especially with the longish intervals). You could find cheaper alternatives for service I'm sure, but I decided years ago that with the miles my wife and I do (55K-60K per year), and I'm quite satisfied with my dealer, that I'll pay a little extra to maintain a good relationship with them. It never hurts to grease the skid a little as they say by throwing a little work their way and it's worth it to me.