maintenance interval reminder

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 01:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maintenance interval reminder

just looking over my shiny new 05 brocure, and it says there is a maint interval reminder. It is obvious what this is, but how does it work? do i set it, or does it remind me when there is a dealer specified check?
Old 10-30-2004, 02:21 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
Like all Honda's since the 90s a MAINT light that comes on (some higher end models have a milage counter) that needs to be reset every so often (milage depending on model). Basically an idiot indicator for those folks who don't bother to keep track of maintenance. And unfortunately you can't set it.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by biker
And unfortunately you can't set it.
Yes you can. You hold down the odometer reset button for 10 seconds while the ignition switch is turned to the second position. Its on page 68 of the US owners manual.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by brett
Yes you can. You hold down the odometer reset button for 10 seconds while the ignition switch is turned to the second position. Its on page 68 of the US owners manual.
how does this reset it? what i mean is does it count down from 3000 or somehting?
Old 10-31-2004, 02:40 AM
Race Director

That's a RESET not SET. You can't set it like an alarm clock to go off at say 3500 miles from now.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:09 AM
Instructor

Excuse me, my mistake. Yes, you can only RESET it, not SET it. Unfortunately a lot of people (who don't read their manuals) are under the mistaken impression that they have to take the car to the dealer to RESET the maintenance light. It would be nice to be able to SET it, but I can keep track of 5000 mile increments pretty easily in my head.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:44 AM
Race Director

Unfortunately a lot of people (who don't read their manuals) are under the mistaken impression that they have to take the car to the dealer to RESET the maintenance light.
Those are the same people that trade in their cars with the owners manual still shrink wraped.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Hey guys, I know this is an old post but i need ur help, i CANT RESET my MAINT Indicator and it's driving me crazy!! I read the manual, but can't get it to work. Last time I had to bring it to the dealer, and THEY couldn't even reset it at first, then I called the Acura Corporate and they made the dealer turn it off for me. SO i'm just wondering if i'm the only person having this problem or is anyone else experiencing this problem too? And if there is a fix?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:55 AM
Race Director

Sounds like something is wrong with either the dashboard switch or the ECU. Can you reset the trip odometer? I assume that if you can do that the switch is good and the problem is in the ECU. The dealer probably has a way to reset the light directly via the ECU connector with the diagnostic tool (a la BMW). If the reset of the light is done by some easy method (like BMW where you touch 2 pins together) then you could do it yourself - otherwise you'll be going to the dealer everytime to get rid of the light. Acura would probably rather have you come in and have them reset it for you everytime instead of giving you a new ECU.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:46 AM
Instructor

thanks biker, this is so frustrating!!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by biker
Sounds like something is wrong with either the dashboard switch or the ECU. Can you reset the trip odometer? I assume that if you can do that the switch is good and the problem is in the ECU. The dealer probably has a way to reset the light directly via the ECU connector with the diagnostic tool (a la BMW). If the reset of the light is done by some easy method (like BMW where you touch 2 pins together) then you could do it yourself - otherwise you'll be going to the dealer everytime to get rid of the light. Acura would probably rather have you come in and have them reset it for you everytime instead of giving you a new ECU.
The maint. light is not triggered by the ECU, but by the Gauge control module in the inst. cluster. There's no way to clear the light besides the procedure in the owners manual (the HDS tablet that your dealer has will not clear the light, nor is there any other short connector or such in the car). First question...do you have any non stock electrical loads that come on when the key is at "run". Make sure you aren't leaving the parking/headlights on while trying to clear the light. If you have some type of non-stock electrical load, you'll likely have to disable it to get the light to clear. Also, make sure you're following the procedure in the owners manual exactly. If it won't clear and your car is stock, the dealer should replace the inst. cluster with a new unit.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:32 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by poltergeist
The maint. light is not triggered by the ECU, but by the Gauge control module in the inst. cluster. There's no way to clear the light besides the procedure in the owners manual (the HDS tablet that your dealer has will not clear the light, nor is there any other short connector or such in the car). .
Then how did the dealer reset the light?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Instructor

Great news guys, I fixed the problem. I tried doing it with my HIDs off and it worked! I did it when the HIDs were on before because it was nighttime and I always leave my HIDs on at night even when i'm not driving the car. So thanks Poltergeist (and Biker for taking ur time). What's funny is the dealer couldn't even figure it out when i brought it in before.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ImportsRhot
Great news guys, I fixed the problem. I tried doing it with my HIDs off and it worked! I did it when the HIDs were on before because it was nighttime and I always leave my HIDs on at night even when i'm not driving the car. So thanks Poltergeist (and Biker for taking ur time). What's funny is the dealer couldn't even figure it out when i brought it in before.
No problem...glad to help.