2004 LEXUS GX470
32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Which Luxury SUV would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 10:02 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does everyone think of the Mercedes G Class SUV? You know the boxy luxury SUV? I wouldn't mind driving that around, but of course the Porsche Cayenne turbo is the best SUV for speed.

Pretty surprised no one added that new Volvo SUV or the VW Toureg, which I think is the ugliest name for any car/SUV.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the G Class is UGLY!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
The G-Class is fugly (f***ing ugly)! Only rappers would want one of those. If I had the money, I'd gladly pick the Range Rover over that.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Banned

MDX, I don't like Lexus
Old 04-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by phile
The G-Class is fugly (f***ing ugly)! Only rappers would want one of those. If I had the money, I'd gladly pick the Range Rover over that.
how come i saw brad pitt and timberlake driving that Benz G class around?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Having driven a G500, I have to say I was entirely unimpressed....aside from the "shock value" of the car, it drives terribly...like a bus! Plus, for $90k, its not comfortable at all! A waste of space, and its too tall to fit in most garages anyways....again, just my .02
Steven
Old 04-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Agent_Chen
I'd take the GX470. It....has V8 power.
Originally posted by slo007
I'd go for the Lexus.....more power.
Really?

GX470: 235HP
MDX: 265HP

Originally posted by gfxdave99
The only reasons [to pick the Lexus] would be the bitchin mark levinson sound system or if you needed a 3rd row or towing.
The MDX has three rows, too. Lexus has us on sound until they put that 5.1 system in the MDX.

Who really tows with these things, anyway? I mean really....
Old 04-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Cruisin'

Like clutch said, who really tows or offroads w/ these things anyway? Anybody who's anybody getting these lux suvs are doing it just for looks. I don't really understand luxury suv, because you're not gonna use the "suv" part anyway. When I saw the lux suv from porsche, I almost laughed. You can put as much moutain handling, torque, and all that goodness as you want, but you're still not gonna take a lux to towing, no less offroad.

I wouldn't take any of those choices, any lux at that. We have rx300s and mdx's in our garage and I wouldn't take those to the farm. However, we take our Sequioya or Tundra. Those things pull like a beast, cost less, and still look good. Plus it has the toyota reliability.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Really?

The MDX has three rows, too. Lexus has us on sound until they put that 5.1 system in the MDX.

Who really tows with these things, anyway? I mean really....
in a suv, torque is way more important than hp 320lb/ft in the lexus. the GX has about 70lb /ft more of it

but like its been said many times totally different class of vehicle... take a look inside a MDX or feel the "leather" and then compare to the GX or even RX
Old 04-23-2004, 04:04 PM
Cruisin'

Torque is very important. You can have as much hp as you want, but w/o mucho torque, have fun trying to climp those hills and rocky surfaces w/ that extra load. The sequoiya and tundra both have 315torque, and man, do they pull. They almost fly over those rocks.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:26 PM

2004 Porsche Cayenne:
S Tiptronic AWD 4dr SUV 4.5L 8cyl
340 hp 310 ft torque
Maximum Towing Capacity: 7716 lbs

I don't think I can laugh at that! I've seen these towing boats and they look pretty good.

Can't wait to tow my my new boat with with my new Cayenne next summer.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:54 PM
has been here awhile

Answering your question directly, I'd say go for a GX. Lexus (or Toyota) knows how to build a good SUV/Truck and the GX is the proof. The pluses for the Lexus are...

-Luxury materials inside
-V8 power (more torque)
-Great customer service
-AMAZING ride w/ Adaptive Suspension

The MDX most definitely has its advantages, but I'd say the GX is more of an SUV than the MDX.

However, that being said, I probably wouldn't get a GX or MDX. I really don't find the GX very attractive, and while the MDX is a great vehicle, I'd look forward to the next generation, and would prefer a more true SUV. I personally have fallen in love with the Volkswagen Touareg. I don't care about the reliability of the things, but to drive a Touareg = love Volkswagen is building amazing vehicles...period. The interior is drop-dead gorgeous and feels very rich. The ride is German firm, but offers a plushness without the Lexus "airy" feel. Try a search on here if you're interested in reading my full-fledged review of the Touareg.
Or click here

Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-24-2004, 12:33 PM
Master in Science

Really?

GX: 320 lb-ft of torque at 3,400 rpm
MDX: 253 @ 3500-5000 rpm

I'm more impressed by the torque figures than the horsepower, since I'll rarelly be at the top of the HP curve. The higher the torque, the faster the vehicle is (assuming similar weight, tires, etc.).

If I had an SUV, I'd pull stuff all the time. I'd probably get a jet ski or a small boat, or sailboat.

Yet I have a TSX, so I have a 12" sub in the back and that's it.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

GX me, though i'm not a big fan of either.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

The ONLY time to own a G-wagon was back in the day when they were only imported gray market. It lost all its appeal when all it took was 75 large to get one. Interestingly the next G class will be nothing like its military father. That was also the Lambo LM002's golden age.

Vandy
Old 04-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by slo007
...I'm more impressed by the torque figures than the horsepower....
OK.

Towing:
GX: 5000lb
MDX: 3500lb (of course torque wins)

I've still never seen a GX towing anything. Oh, and they're slow.

0-60:
GX: 8.5 sec
MDX: 8.2 sec
Old 04-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

OK.

Towing:
GX: 5000lb
MDX: 3500lb (of course torque wins)

I've still never seen a GX towing anything. Oh, and they're slow.

0-60:
GX: 8.5 sec
MDX: 8.2 sec

.3 0-60 isn't a big deal in SUVs, and in case you haven't noticed 8.5 is pretty darn respectable. However C&D has the MDX at 7.8 and GX at 7.7 with 16.1/16.0 quarters, again excellent for SUVs. The GX is just .5 slower to 60 and .4 slower in the quarter than C&D has the manual TSX, so either the GX and MDX are pretty quick SUVs or the TSX is anchor slow for a sporty sedan, you make the call.

The GX also stops much quicker then the MDX and the same as the TSX again not bad for a truck based SUV.

If you aren't going to tow or need offroad prowess (whether actually using it or just wanting it) the GX is a better choice, but if onroad manners and a better price are important then the MDX is an excellent choice. Further, if you are considering an SUV as a third vehicle (actually as an extra vehicle depending on how many daily driver you need) and towing/offroad isn't a requisite then the Pilot is also an excellent choice, but for a daily driver you get quite a lot for the extra 8k in the MDX.

Vandy

Vandy
Old 04-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by a_TSX_4_Me
Having driven a G500, I have to say I was entirely unimpressed....aside from the "shock value" of the car, it drives terribly...like a bus! Plus, for $90k, its not comfortable at all! A waste of space, and its too tall to fit in most garages anyways....again, just my .02
Steven
I meant to mention this earlier, are you sure you drove a G?

The G is isn't too tall for most garages, it is no taller than a Navigator and about the same as a Disco. Standard garage door access is about 80" which easily clears the G. Plus the G500 is about $76k, the G55 is about $92k, both can be obtain with decent discounts though areas like SoCal and SoFl might be higher. In the end it is over priced and crude, but it was cool in the gray market days.

Vandy
Old 04-25-2004, 09:47 PM
Pinky all stinky

I think you're missing the point. The GX is only about 300 lbs. heavier than the MDX, and with so much more torque (which the last few posts have been raving about) and at a lower RPM, it should easily trounce the MDX in terms of 0-60, not be slower/faster by few tenths of a second.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:27 AM
1st Gear

We are extremely pleased with our Toureg. Even with the V6, it has plenty of power and rides and drives like a tank (in the good, bank vault kind of way.) The six speed auto is really slick and makes the most of the available power. All this, and it get's pretty decent mileage for it's wieght. I got 21 on a trip and my wife get's 18 in traffic to and from work.

The ONLY complaint I have is the tow hitch is WAY over built. It costs $800, takes 7 hours to install, requires the removal of all the body work from the rear and it replaces the rear cross member and bumper. Although it is a very sano installation and is visually quite sharp, the chain tabs are HUGE! They are about an 3/4 inch thick - I am searching for hooks or clips that will actually fit through them safely. Otherwise, I'd say we're completely satisfied.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ilitig8
....either the GX and MDX are pretty quick SUVs or the TSX is anchor slow for a sporty sedan, you make the call....
Easy. The TSX is slow for a sporty sedan. If I wanted to hang with your M3, I would've gotten the WRX.

I wasn't trying to compare the two SUVs to a TSX. But people were stating that V8 "power"/torque was so incredibly important that I had to say something. Who cares if you have a million lb-ft of torque if your 0-60 is 12 seconds (Prius)?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Baka Unco

It all depends on how you're going to use it. If you ever going to go offroad then the Lexus is the only choice (and I've seen people wheeling quite well with Lexus G's, they're still a Land Cruiser). Same goes for towing. . .

Other than that it's all a matter of taste.

I think one problem with some of the arguments going on is that you're assuming you know what people are going to do with their vehicles. One argument is to get the Lexus because it's the most truck like and better offroad, the counter to that is that most people don't drive their SUV's offroad so you should get the Acura.

If you use similar logic, most people don't race their SUVs so what difference does a couple tenths of a second make in 0-60 or quartermile times.

I think a buyer should educate themselves to the strengths and weaknesses of the vehicles and then figure out FOR THEMSELVES what they will be using the vechicle for. Soliciting opinions on how well they do what you want the vehicle to do are good, but just a general "what's better" questions tend to just lead toward pointless arguements. State what you want to use the car for and you'll get better information.

Finally Opinions are just Opinions take them for what they are, at least that's my opinion.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear

Get a new 4 Runner

The best SUV for the money out there is Toyota 4Runner. Optional V8, drives well on pavement and is a true off road vehicle. Forerunner was extremely well liked by Consumer Reports, not to mention, Toyota reliability. Reliability means a lot two me, I have owned both an Audi and a newer VW jetta. Both ran most of the time, but the cars spent lots of time in the shop for stupid things like window motors, broken door locks, trim falling off, etc. All these stupid things cost time and money. My girlfriend had a 96 camry with exactly the same miles as my 95 Jetta, both mostly city driving. When I finally sold the VW I had put almost $3,000 dollars into repairing it (does not include $1,500 done under warranty). My girlfriend put in less then $400.00. Volkswagons, Audi's and Mercedes are at the bottem of the reliability ratings for a reason, they earned it. Kind of sad, I like the way the Toureg looks and all its features, but I would never buy one. Like Audi's as well, but same issues. I am already short of time and I don't feel like spending any more a repair shops. I find it hard to believe that you can spend $38,000 on a loaded Audi, and it will be far less reliable then a $12,000 Corolla or Civic. Seems to me, it should be a lot more reliable.

Currently have BNP 6-Speed TSX and after driving the other cars, you can tell the difference in quality. I could have afforded a better car, but truthfully, I could not think of any other car I would prefer to have. It's nice, fun to drive, great looking and yet not ostentatious. I can't think of a better car to drive then that.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Easy. The TSX is slow for a sporty sedan. If I wanted to hang with your M3, I would've gotten the WRX.

I wasn't trying to compare the two SUVs to a TSX. But people were stating that V8 "power"/torque was so incredibly important that I had to say something. Who cares if you have a million lb-ft of torque if your 0-60 is 12 seconds (Prius)?
the new prius is 10sec around or under

and its easy, imagine a truck with low torque but higher hp, it would never get moving to begin with. , which is why buses and large trucks have huge torque but relatively low hp. and torque is good for everyday driving and since i doubt many suv's would be revving their engines up in the rpm range, the torque down low definitely helps a lot.

torque is very important in trucks/suv's/ basically any application where you will need power down low e.g. hauling ppl or towing stuff.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:55 AM

Well the GX 470 has won SUV of the year 2 years in a row. It's a true SUV, it can be used off-road with the best of them.
The MDX is built off the Honda Odyessy, it's a van basically.

Then we are comparing a V-6 (with more HP) with a V-8 (more torque).
If u sit in the 2 for longer than 2 minutes, the MDX can't compare at all to the luxury of the GX.
Hell the GX costs more, starting at 48k I think to 55k loaded.

We are not comparing equal SUVs. THe MDX is a good SUV but RX 330 competition.

The GX was another SUV I disliked until I drove one extensively. Then it just won me over (I am not a fan of car based or sporty SUVs). The details, the details......
Old 04-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by corbs
....If you ever going to go offroad then the Lexus is the only choice (and I've seen people wheeling quite well with Lexus G's, they're still a Land Cruiser).....
Actually, it's a 4-Runner. The LX470 is the Land Cruiser.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Baka Unco

Actually, it's a 4-Runner. The LX470 is the Land Cruiser.
My mistake, I meant the one the question was originally about, the 470. . . I don't like all these model number type names. . . but that's my problem.
Old 04-27-2004, 04:43 PM
Pinky all stinky

I think the GX is actually the new Land Cruiser Prado, or something like that. So you're technically correct. The upcoming LX is rumored to be based on the bigger Toyota Sequioa.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by corbs
My mistake, I meant the one the question was originally about, the 470. . .
The question was originally about the GX470. It has the same engine as the LX470. Maybe that's why you're confused....
Old 04-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

I think the GX is actually the new Land Cruiser Prado, or something like that. So you're technically correct. The upcoming LX is rumored to be based on the bigger Toyota Sequioa.
Just so we're clear:

Toyota Land Cruiser = Lexus LX470

Toyota 4-Runner = Lexus GX470
Old 04-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Pinky all stinky

Nope, I said the Land Cruiser Prado, not just the Land Cruiser. The naming scheme is similar to how Nissan has a Pathfinder and a Pathfinder Armada.

Look at which two vehicles look more similar to each other:

Old 04-27-2004, 09:46 PM
Master in Science

Nope, I said the Land Cruiser Prado, not just the Land Cruiser. The naming scheme is similar to how Nissan has a Pathfinder and a Pathfinder Armada.

Look at which two vehicles look more similar to each other:
Damn! They look exactly like each other. I wonder it they are equal inside, too.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Instructor

I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee about 18 Months ago and tired of it pretty quick. We had an Rx300 before that, and it was built really well, but handled really poorly.

We just picked up an RX330 with 18" Wheel option last week and all I can say is wow! The build quality is second to nothing even remotely closely priced.

Everything fits perfect. All the materials are top notch. The handling is several notches better than our previous RX300.

I will stick with Lexus (or Acura) for a long time. The build quality is so nice and the dealers are second to none.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Pinky all stinky

The interior is pretty much the same. As of now, it's not certain whether we'll see a new Land Cruiser, or if the Land Cruiser Prado has already replaced the Land Cruiser in Toyota's lineup. Like I said, it's been rumored that the next Lexus LX470 will be based off the Sequioa.