Low Selling Prices = Lower Resale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome avatar joerockt!

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. I was looking at a Pontiac GTO in January '05 because dealers were stuck with '04s when '05s started arriving. Then, the GTO could've been purchased for $19k to $21k through a combination of deals, the car's sticker was around $32k. This is a car that has the Corvette motor and tranny!

How do you sell a car like that after a couple of years? Even with near invoice purchases, the TSX should hold it's value much better than the norm.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:07 PM
tsx's4playinwith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got mine $27,400, for non-nav, automatic '06...is that bad? It includes tax, plate, and detination charge
Old 02-01-2006, 05:20 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Maybe i'm not understanding the question, but resale is a percentage of residual value of the car. The value after a certain amount of time doesn't really how that much to do with the original price.

Ex. $50,000 Audi A6 after 3 years=$31,000
$50,000 M3 after 3 years=$43,000

Obviously the lower the price of the car, the lower the resale price, but the price itself doesn't affect depreciation.
Whenever there is a rebate on a car you can absolutely be sure that this rebate will have an effect of lowering the resale value of that car.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm a llama :(

Originally Posted by lilballa
I got mine $27,400, for non-nav, automatic '06...is that bad? It includes tax, plate, and detination charge
Detonation charge?!?!
Old 02-01-2006, 06:11 PM
tsx's4playinwith

Originally Posted by Motohip
Detonation charge?!?!
destination charge* they had it trucked in from NJ to pit and the destination charge that comes with the vehicle
Old 02-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by joerockt
Maybe with other cars, but the TSX is holding its value extremely well. Many of us 04 drivers got great deals when we bought, but that hasnt affected the resale value of this car. Check a few posts up, my 04 with 15K miles is still worth 24-25K.

No doubt, if GM was selling cars last year at employee discounts, the value of those cars will drop signifincatly. Since Honda dosent do this, values still remain high...
this is a very valid point. plus, the range that we're talking about here is $27,200 (extremely good deal on a TSX with navi) to about $30,000.

it's mostly just negotiation. whereas american cars are "discounted" with rebates and incentives. if the american's picked a slightly lower price....let's say they have a $30,000 car, with a $2,500 rebate.... why not just make the car $28,500-29,000 and let the public negotiate prices. this way, you'd always know the solid initial value of the car. i think american cars would retain their value a little better, and the companies wouldn't have to worry about all these promos and incentives etc etc.

but what do i know? seems to be working fine for the foreign companies.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:58 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by lilballa
seems like if you were in cali you coulda got the navi model for the same price. plus tax. seems like a decent price though for what most are paying.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Advanced

my 04 with 15K miles is still worth 24-25K.
To you maybe, but KBB says more like $21,200.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bradykp
seems like if you were in cali you coulda got the navi model for the same price. plus tax.
I don't think *most* people are paying that, but then again I don't really know. The dealer I bought from was Keyes Acura. Ask for Julius. He's a "Floor Manager" (I hate dealing with sales people) but don't necessarily expect the same deal as inventory and demand are quite dynamic, Then again... you might do better.

Best of luck and tell 'em I sent you... maybe I will get a credit!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by HollywoodTSX
To you maybe, but KBB says more like $21,200.
No, it dosent.

The $21K is a trade in value. I dont trade in my cars...
Old 02-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Still Lovin my 06

No, it dosent.

The $21K is a trade in value. I dont trade in my cars...

private party values are rarely attainable...unless you have patience. the trade in value is the "value" of your car IMO. but it's safe to assume you could sell it for at least $2,000 over the trade in, so i wouldn't say it's far from $24/25k

how do you only have 15,000 miles on a 2004?

i have 2,500 on my 06 and have had it 6 weeks!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by bradykp
private party values are rarely attainable...unless you have patience. the trade in value is the "value" of your car IMO. but it's safe to assume you could sell it for at least $2,000 over the trade in, so i wouldn't say it's far from $24/25k

how do you only have 15,000 miles on a 2004?

i have 2,500 on my 06 and have had it 6 weeks!
If Kbb says this is what its worth, then thats what I have to go on The three cars I sold went for very close to Kbb value, though it did take over a month to sell...

I drive 8 miles to work and back.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If Kbb says this is what its worth, then thats what I have to go on The three cars I sold went for very close to Kbb value, though it did take over a month to sell...

I drive 8 miles to work and back.
But he gets there in 4 min. LOL

Yeah, the cars we sold generally I let go for less than "private party" but significantly more than "trade in" value. I would consider the "trade in" value to be the floor.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
But...
That was TSX related!

The TSX is a tailgating machine! Dammit Jim! I'm only an old country doctor!

On another note, I wish the selling prices came down before I purchased mine ehh...I still would have bought my beloved Seattle Seahawks Tailgating TSX anyway
Old 02-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by CJams
That was TSX related!

The TSX is a tailgating machine! Dammit Jim! I'm only an old country doctor!

On another note, I wish the selling prices came down before I purchased mine ehh...I still would have bought my beloved Seattle Seahawks Tailgating TSX anyway

Dude, fuck your Seahawks, quit shitin up threads!
Old 02-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am helping my sister search fir a 06 w/nav. The best price I got so far is $2500 MSRP here in the bay area. i"m trying to get $3000 off..

I just got off the phone with a manager at one of the acura dealership where he was following up with me. He had offered me $2500 off MSRP but I wanted $3000 off and I mentioned the "holdback" they were getting. He said, "well, we are selling the car base on the market right now and they are in demand". I was like OH PLEASE!!! If they were, then why did each acura dealer have so many on their floor, it's obvious there not flying off the lot!

He said at $3000 off, it was below invoice. i said well, you have the dealer holdback, so you get the car below invoice...... he didn't say anything.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Ford Sales Consultant

See?

Originally Posted by mickey513
I am helping my sister search fir a 06 w/nav. The best price I got so far is $2500 MSRP here in the bay area. i"m trying to get $3000 off..

I just got off the phone with a manager at one of the acura dealership where he was following up with me. He had offered me $2500 off MSRP but I wanted $3000 off and I mentioned the "holdback" they were getting. He said, "well, we are selling the car base on the market right now and they are in demand". I was like OH PLEASE!!! If they were, then why did each acura dealer have so many on their floor, it's obvious there not flying off the lot!

He said at $3000 off, it was below invoice. i said well, you have the dealer holdback, so you get the car below invoice...... he didn't say anything.
So what you're saying is, you won't be completely happy until the dealership makes no money, even though they have already given you $2500 off? You should be embarassed for being such a mooch...

It's sad when peeps don't even think twice about doing this, and it isn't even the end of the model year (when it would be justifiable).

I understand the whole negotiating process pretty well...it is about getting and agreeing on terms that are good for both sides, and seems to be most prevalent in the car industry. Yet in other retail environments, if you don't have $4.19 for a value meal from McDonald's, then you don't get the value meal. When the cashier rings you up at the grocery store, and your food will cost $200, do you tell him/her that you will only pay $180? Do you get all of the food that was just rung up for $180?

And I thought the foreign market was a lot different from the domestic market.

Diggs

Hell...once you work them that far into the holdback, you might as well try to get free oil changes, wheel locks, and whatever else you can think of thrown into the deal. Since you like making the whole buying process way more difficult than it needs to be.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggs
So what you're saying is, you won't be completely happy until the dealership makes no money, even though they have already given you $2500 off? You should be embarassed for being such a mooch...

It's sad when peeps don't even think twice about doing this, and it isn't even the end of the model year (when it would be justifiable).

I understand the whole negotiating process pretty well...it is about getting and agreeing on terms that are good for both sides, and seems to be most prevalent in the car industry. Yet in other retail environments, if you don't have $4.19 for a value meal from McDonald's, then you don't get the value meal. When the cashier rings you up at the grocery store, and your food will cost $200, do you tell him/her that you will only pay $180? Do you get all of the food that was just rung up for $180?

Diggs

Hell...once you work them that far into the holdback, you might as well try to get free oil changes, wheel locks, and whatever else you can think of thrown into the deal. Since you like making the whole buying process way more difficult than it needs to be.
You are probably the STUPIDEST guy on this board. Who here on this board does not want the lowest price they can get? Who here on ANY car forum does not want the lowest price they can get? Dude, if you like to pay the extra $$$ out your ass, please go ahead but me and the majority on this forum sure don't want too. Heck the guy who posted this thread orginally got his car for $600 below invoice, so are you calling him stupid? You should be embarassed for being someone with a low IQ and paying too much!
Old 02-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Race Director

Received 632 Likes on 508 Posts
There might be some FTD incentive of $900 in play in some markets - that's how below invoice deals are possible.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by mickey513
You are probably the STUPIDEST guy on this board. Who here on this board does not want the lowest price they can get? Who here on ANY car forum does not want the lowest price they can get? Dude, if you like to pay the extra $$$ out your ass, please go ahead but me and the majority on this forum sure don't want too. Heck the guy who posted this thread orginally got his car for $600 below invoice, so are you calling him stupid? You should be embarassed for being someone with a low IQ and paying too much!
diggs is a car salesman for ford. he's just saying you should try to be fair to the dealer as well.

i don't think he said it in the best way, but he has a point. $2,500 off msrp is pretty damn good, as that's below invoice already right?

i paid $2300 off msrp + dest. i'm happy with my purchase, and so was the dealer. no biggie. congrats to the people who get lower prices.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by Dirk Diggs

Diggs

What, no "Your stealing food from my baby's mouth"

This is the dealers fault for allowing dealing to happen...And I hope it never ends

$2500 is great, but hell if you can get more, I say more power to ya.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Ford Sales Consultant

Sorry...

I need a cooling off period before I post sometimes because I get too touchy.

Sorry for the "poopy" attitude.

And yeah...I meant you should be fair to the dealer, but if they'll let it happen...I guess it is their fault.

Just look at where Ford and GM are going.

I still think there should be a point where people should be embarassed though.

And I wouldn't ever use the "you're stealing food from my baby's mouth line"...lol...I don't have a kid.

Diggs

PS...you're stealing food from my doggie's mouth.

EDIT: I NEVER called anyone stupid either.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:38 AM
Just dial 1911

Dirk, dont mind that n00b. I think its great that we have a inside sales guy from another car company. Gives us a different perspective.

And besides, can you honestly say that ALL buyers come away from a deal leaving the sales guy with practally no commish? I'd be curious to know how many people in a week get a thousands of dollars off deal and how many others get just a few hundred off...
Old 02-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm all for getting a good deal. But come on, the dealership cleaned the car, inspected it through delivery, and kept the car in stock on the lot. Then they've got the pay utilities, salespeople, operators to answer phones, etc...
You have to let them make SOME money. Everyone in the whole world wants the best deal possible. But you can't honestly expect the dealer to dig into their holdback from the factory. Then what else do they have to earn? You expect them to sell you a car earning nothing??? They would probably rather not sell it then. Just relax... he was offering you good deal already.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Then what else do they have to earn?
Most dealers make the vast majority of their profits from service. In any case I'm all for their making money on the sales side too, and they do, but it won't be off of me. Leave it to the rich and the dumb people of the world to pay more.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Advanced

The great thing about Hollywood's price is that they straight out offered them that price. It didn't sound like he haggled at all. One dealer gave him xxx and the other dealer did better.

I think all of us want to get the best price available.

Hollywood's price is hands down the best I've seen for an 06/navi, and I'm in the middle of ordering a car w/ a different dealership and we had agreed that we had a tentative price no more than $600 over invoice. This was back in the end of December, so it was a pretty good price then. But two months later, w/ multiple dealerships in LA asking for $400-500 BELOW invoice is a big shock. I told my dealer about the other area dealerships and their prices. I told him that I don't expect him to match the other ones, but to at least meet somewhere in the middle where it's still good for both of us. He appreciated that, so we'll just see how everything turns out in a month when I get the car.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by IlliNorge
I'm willing to bet all these great deals in SoCal are on 5AT's. It seems Acura has recently flooded the market with 5AT's, while leaving the 6MT's as scarce as water in a desert. It is virtually impossible to get a 6MT at anything close to those prices, especially if you have to order.
I think it's a demand thing. Consider that automatic is, with most manufacturers, an expensive option. With Acura it's the same price but still lowers resale so most people want automatic.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Racer

Patients paid off for me. Just picked up a 06, auto, navi, carbon gray for $30400 OTD. I pretty sure I could had gotten more off, but the car was for my sister and she needed a car..
Old 02-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Racer

Patients paid off for me. Just picked up a 06, auto, navi, carbon gray for $30400 OTD. I pretty sure I could had gotten more off, but the car was for my sister and she needed a car..
Old 02-10-2006, 02:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gooker1
The great thing about Hollywood's price is that they straight out offered them that price. It didn't sound like he haggled at all. One dealer gave him xxx and the other dealer did better.
That's correct. I think it was a matter of invetory and timing... but yeah I lucked out. Still I'm sure someone out there did better.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:18 AM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by HollywoodTSX
That's correct. I think it was a matter of invetory and timing... but yeah I lucked out. Still I'm sure someone out there did better.
I'd be pretty confident that people aren't doing better than yours. 27,200...don't see how any one could top that!