Looking at a TSX for the girlfriend

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Need an OEM lip kit on my

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking at a TSX for the girlfriend

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

does this TSX look decent? any problems I should worry about, like the tranny problem with the 2nd gen TL's?

What is the technology package that is being advertised?

I know it has alot of miles, but it looks nice and is a good price.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would advise against an 04. Read up on the TSX forum and you will see various problems like A/C, console lights, etc. I would recommend an 05, even if it has more miles.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Not sure what technology pack they are referring to, since from the pictures shown, it doesn't have navigation.

It's also high miles....90k? Meh.

As previously mentioned, I'd recommend an 05 or newer due to common problems you can read up on in the problems & fixes section.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 AM

thanks
Old 05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yea that is a low price but I wouldn't go for it. You have no idea how it was treated.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=ATD_W

Vehicle was a lease, then commercial lease, repossessed, and then listed as a fleet vehicle. Explains the mileage, it was prolly beat to hell by the different drivers tbh. I would look at 05+ overall but would aim for 06+ IMO.

And yea, idk what they are considering a tech package...maybe the fact that it's all power but then again all TSX's must have the tech package with that logic lol.

Last edited by sortudo7; 05-12-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by sortudo7
Yea that is a low price but I wouldn't go for it. You have no idea how it was treated.

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=ATD_W

Vehicle was a lease, then commercial lease, repossessed, and then listed as a fleet vehicle. Explains the mileage, it was prolly beat to hell by the different drivers tbh. I would look at 05+ overall but would aim for 06+ IMO.

And yea, idk what they are considering a tech package...maybe the fact that it's all power but then again all TSX's must have the tech package with that logic lol.
Thanks for the carfax man. The link doesn't work, but thanks for the quick write-up. Of course my gf is pissed now, because every car she considers, I find something wrong with it. It told her to look into a 2nd gen TL, but she thinks my car is too big. She is pretty tiny. She wanted an RSX, but good luck finding one that hasn't been beat up by some kid.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Moderator

In addition to Carfax, also do an Auto Check on any car you seriously consider buying. Neither one catches everything, and recently there was a thread in Car Talk about Carfax not listing very pertinent info on their reports.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Jrhodes- I would honestly stay away from anything under $10k. I was in the market for an 04 but with an aftermarket warranty only as my only option.

I was lucky to find an 05. Just use normal common sense when buying, take account the dealer ( if so) and how the car could end up there. I am a big auction fan, but I'm lucky to have a few channels to make sure the car is "good".

I wouldnt buy a TSX from a mom and pop shop. Your familiar with Acura which is good, so that will help in the long run.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 150shot
Jrhodes- I would honestly stay away from anything under $10k. I was in the market for an 04 but with an aftermarket warranty only as my only option.

I was lucky to find an 05. Just use normal common sense when buying, take account the dealer ( if so) and how the car could end up there. I am a big auction fan, but I'm lucky to have a few channels to make sure the car is "good".

I wouldnt buy a TSX from a mom and pop shop. Your familiar with Acura which is good, so that will help in the long run.
Thanks for the advice. My gf is becoming rather stubborn in her car search. She wants an Acura, but is looking for them in the $10k range. I bought my TL from a family owned dealer and it was magnificent. one owner, practically nothing wrong with it at all. paid $11,700 for it. I guess I got lucky
Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Have you tried sites like autotrader.com and cars.com?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Have you tried sites like autotrader.com and cars.com?
Yea...we have been looking on Autotrader. It sucks because she is driving around in a POS 03 cavalier that has power NOTHING! She deserves better, but I wanna make sure the car is worth it.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, definitely wait for a good one. You don't want more headaches because of being impatient.

I'd sell her my 04 for $10k, but then I'd feel bad if the A/C took a dump. That, and I'm not quite ready for more car payments just yet.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Yeah, definitely wait for a good one. You don't want more headaches because of being impatient.

I'd sell her my 04 for $10k, but then I'd feel bad if the A/C took a dump. That, and I'm not quite ready for more car payments just yet.
When you replace the A/C on the 04's do they still have the same problem?

What if that 04 i posted above had the A/C replaced? I know it has a lot of miles, but so is every Acura I look at in that price range.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Advanced

Good question if the AC Replaced if it might be prone to isses...I dont know?

But if you are going for an 04 , its either approx $1k for a warranty or $3k if the AC dumps, or find one that has documented that the AC has been replaced...

ALso take in consideration that a few more thousand in purchase costs ( is she taking a loan out ) can only be somewhere around $50-$100 a more a month, might not be to much to get the newest model possible.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by JRhodes88
When you replace the A/C on the 04's do they still have the same problem?

What if that 04 i posted above had the A/C replaced? I know it has a lot of miles, but so is every Acura I look at in that price range.
One of the problems with the A/C is its location. It makes it very prone to rocks and road debris. So fixing it once definitely does not mean it won't happen again. All it needs is another rock and you're back with another enormous repair bill.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Site Lurker, Rare poster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yea just noticed the link doesn't work. In the ad there is a link that says "free carfax report for this car" or something like that. Just click it and it works.

I know it's hard having a car without power but I would just be patient. Look in the classifieds section for people selling their different cars. But it's always best to be patient and make a smart and good buy opposed to rushing into a car with problems...that is a $10K+ mistake that you don't wanna make. I'd look on Craigslist too as I see some cars being sold in my area on there with pretty decent prices starting which means you can negotiate for a little better of a deal. All you can really do is be patient and go searching for the right car and not just some car that is better.

The TSX is a good size, I agree the TL is big and for a "small" person it def would be a lot for them to handle unless it's one of the older ones haha. If she is really set on an Acura then she just needs to be patient and flexible since it's a great car but that makes it harder to find what you want for a price you want, supply and demand. And yea, as for the RSX...the lot of them are beat to hell thanks to teenagers thinking they're the sh*t. Hard to find one treated well.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by sortudo7
Yea just noticed the link doesn't work. In the ad there is a link that says "free carfax report for this car" or something like that. Just click it and it works.

I know it's hard having a car without power but I would just be patient. Look in the classifieds section for people selling their different cars. But it's always best to be patient and make a smart and good buy opposed to rushing into a car with problems...that is a $10K+ mistake that you don't wanna make. I'd look on Craigslist too as I see some cars being sold in my area on there with pretty decent prices starting which means you can negotiate for a little better of a deal. All you can really do is be patient and go searching for the right car and not just some car that is better.

The TSX is a good size, I agree the TL is big and for a "small" person it def would be a lot for them to handle unless it's one of the older ones haha. If she is really set on an Acura then she just needs to be patient and flexible since it's a great car but that makes it harder to find what you want for a price you want, supply and demand. And yea, as for the RSX...the lot of them are beat to hell thanks to teenagers thinking they're the sh*t. Hard to find one treated well.
Thanks for the help and words of advice.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Employee #13

i was in the same position as you....sort of. my gf was driving my honda accord and was involved in an accident. the accord was totalled, so i looked for an 04 TSX or TL..we found a TSX with 76k miles, CPO car, great condition. i did some research on here, the thing you need to look at with the 04's is the light around the ignition key. the problems people talk about with the 04's was with the first few batches. the later production models didn't have those issues. the ones with the problems had green lights around the key, the later ones had a blue light. the one we found was blue. they were asking 14k for it, i got it for 12k. car's in great shape and she loves it. no problems to speak of. i found that car on autotrader. they are hard to find though. good luck with the search...oh, and you're not going to find many worth buying for 10k. better up that price range to 15k then talk them down.

as for the one you posted, i'd at least check it out. 90k is nothing on a honda motor. i'd go look at it, take it to an acura dealership or a good mechanic that you trust and have him look the car over. make sure it's got a clean carfax and if everything looks good, go for it. it doesn't hurt to look, and if it's a good car, that price is a steal.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by ODUB
i was in the same position as you....sort of. my gf was driving my honda accord and was involved in an accident. the accord was totalled, so i looked for an 04 TSX or TL..we found a TSX with 76k miles, CPO car, great condition. i did some research on here, the thing you need to look at with the 04's is the light around the ignition key. the problems people talk about with the 04's was with the first few batches. the later production models didn't have those issues. the ones with the problems had green lights around the key, the later ones had a blue light. the one we found was blue. they were asking 14k for it, i got it for 12k. car's in great shape and she loves it. no problems to speak of. i found that car on autotrader. they are hard to find though. good luck with the search...oh, and you're not going to find many worth buying for 10k. better up that price range to 15k then talk them down.

as for the one you posted, i'd at least check it out. 90k is nothing on a honda motor. i'd go look at it, take it to an acura dealership or a good mechanic that you trust and have him look the car over. make sure it's got a clean carfax and if everything looks good, go for it. it doesn't hurt to look, and if it's a good car, that price is a steal.
Hey thanks for the great info....can anyone else backup the blue light around the ignition?
Old 05-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Racer

No first hand experience of the light, but after reading the 1st Gen. TSX forum on an everyday basis I've seen various posts talking to the light around the ignition, blue is good, green is bad.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 PM
2nd Gear

Hmmmmm...good thread! Thanks for the tips...