Looking at carsanddriver magazine...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at carsanddriver magazine...

well they had a review of RL. It was about 55000dollar cars. RL came in 2nd place surprisingly, it beat GS and 5 series. 5 series got like 6th place because of acceleration, so i thought that RL would be like 5th or 4th... since RL was about the same... well surprisingly RL did fairly well, but the comments of editor got me interesting. Why wouldn't acura/honda make RL or other cars for that matter rear wheel drive? why does honda must go with front wheel drive... even RL's sh-awd was based on FWD. I think Acura is very good car company and very capable of making them RWD. I'm pretty sure sure knows what they are doing... but i think they should start offering some of their sedans in rear wheel drive... like TL or even TSX for that matter... just two cents... does anybody know why they dont???
Old 10-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Cost. Savings in commonality of parts across Honda and acura lines allows for lower prices.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:18 AM
Advanced

As someone who lives in the Canada near the BC Rockies and with a great ski hill nearby, front drive was one the main reasons why we bought a TSX and could not consider a Lexus IS, or BMW 3 series or other RWD’s. Second choice was a WRX – tough call. In the end the TSX interior won out.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:59 AM
Racer

you can actually buy an RL for about $41000 though. at least thats what they are going for in southern california. at $41000 it is a ridiculous value.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:12 AM
Instructor

i thought i saw on the commercial on tv that the RL is a all wheel drive?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:17 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
NSX
Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by danslvpt
i thought i saw on the commercial on tv that the RL is a all wheel drive?
RL is AWD
Old 10-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by laee3
well they had a review of RL. It was about 55000dollar cars. RL came in 2nd place surprisingly, it beat GS and 5 series. 5 series got like 6th place because of acceleration, so i thought that RL would be like 5th or 4th... since RL was about the same... well surprisingly RL did fairly well, but the comments of editor got me interesting. Why wouldn't acura/honda make RL or other cars for that matter rear wheel drive? why does honda must go with front wheel drive... even RL's sh-awd was based on FWD. I think Acura is very good car company and very capable of making them RWD. I'm pretty sure sure knows what they are doing... but i think they should start offering some of their sedans in rear wheel drive... like TL or even TSX for that matter... just two cents... does anybody know why they dont???
I'm with you. Even the 'mericun car companies are switching back (slowly) to RWD. In a perfect world, they'd offer Acuras in RWD along with an option for AWD. I think the public needs to be re-trained to understand that RWD is superior as far as handling goes and that traction control and good tires make FWD not entirely necessary. I think this is where Acura can make some real gains on BMW.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Schmed
I'm with you. Even the 'mericun car companies are switching back (slowly) to RWD. In a perfect world, they'd offer Acuras in RWD along with an option for AWD. I think the public needs to be re-trained to understand that RWD is superior as far as handling goes and that traction control and good tires make FWD not entirely necessary. I think this is where Acura can make some real gains on BMW.
RWD doesn't meant always better than FWD. I doubt a RWD big three or RWD MB can handle better than FWD Honda. But in fact RWD Honda forsure handle better than FWD Honda.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:41 AM
HOWARD911S

Acura is secure set in the entry level luxury segment, it can not compete with BMW or LExus in the real luxury segment, at least not yet, Honda is being smart by keeping its current line and methods of making cars, which allows for its price to stay in the lower end of the luxury competition.

Acura has a firm seat in its entry level luxury car segment, amazing sale every year, that's where it has established its image and price segment, should I want to buy a real luxury car, acura wont be on my mind, it would be Lexus, BMW or MBZ. Whoever's running Acura, it may not turn out the cars that us honda/acura loyalist really want, but the person running this divion is hella smart in its way of holding on to this market segment
Old 10-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Howard911s
Acura is secure set in the entry level luxury segment, it can not compete with BMW or LExus in the real luxury segment, at least not yet, Honda is being smart by keeping its current line and methods of making cars, which allows for its price to stay in the lower end of the luxury competition.

Acura has a firm seat in its entry level luxury car segment, amazing sale every year, that's where it has established its image and price segment, should I want to buy a real luxury car, acura wont be on my mind, it would be Lexus, BMW or MBZ. Whoever's running Acura, it may not turn out the cars that us honda/acura loyalist really want, but the person running this divion is hella smart in its way of holding on to this market segment
right on...

1. honda, toyota, nissan

2. acura

3. lexus, infiniti

i can't think of another brand, other than acura, that would fit into this entry level luxury segment (2), given its cost and product line-up. although, a toyota avalon may blur that divide between (1) and (2). but again, i'm just strictly interested in brand.

i think acura is very smart wrt to product placement, price, etc. if i wanted a rwd, i would look at a lexus, etc.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schmed
I agree that there is no question from a handling and performance persepctive that RWD is king. However I completely disagree when it comes to snow.

I just spent the last two winters with my RWD Infiniti, despite very good traction control and Hakka's I still had to load up 300 lbs of lead into the trunk to make it through a Canadian winter.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Racer

i've driven rwd. and for the average driver i think honda knows what they are doing.

sure on a track or in real handling the rwd will be better most of the time. though i wouldnt say a rwd say c230 (especially the older supercharged 2005 and below models) would necessarily beat a tsx in a race, but lets just say rwd is better than fwd most of the time on a track.

seeing as 99% of people NEVER drive their car on a track, and that rwd adds weight (and worse fuel economy) and costs to the cost of building a car for something 99% of people will not really take advantage of, i would say for most people rwd is just extra money being spent. and it is a significant amount for a car in the mid 20k range like a tsx

i actually think honda's idea of making fwd cars that cost less to make, and putting all the luxury features in them standard is what their niche is.

i think most people will if it comes down to it opt for more luxury features that they will use more often than rwd. thats probably why the TL sells so well. people will notice the difference between power seats, leather, sunroofs, better nav systems, better stereos etc. far more than rwd and companies are out there to sell to "most people" especially in the sub 35k market.

if we are talking 50k sedans and up, then the extra money rwd costs its a much smaller percentage you can probably afford to buy all that other stuff anyway if you can buy a 50k car. so if acura makes a say 7 series competitor it better be rwd or awd. but under 35k i doubt it matters.

with gas prices the way they are, i can see more people driving smaller fwd cars anyway. rwd is purely a higher end luxury thing
Old 10-25-2005, 08:36 PM
TSX4EVR

Way back 29 years ago when I had my Honda Civic CVCC, when most cars were RWD and FWD and Civics were still a novelty, I can remember many of a snowy day in TO where I would pass by much larger RWD cars slipping and sliding and spinning in the snow.

I want FWD.

Excited
Old 10-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes