Loads of paint chips surface after car wash on the hood.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loads of paint chips surface after car wash on the hood.

I bought a black color 2008 tl type s 10 days ago from an acura dealership. The car was in crystal clear conditions. I did not find any chip/mark on the car.

I did my first car wash today and to my dismay noticed loads of white chips on the hood. Right now the hood of the car looks really patch with tons of white spots. Looks like the car had gone through some touch up to cover the spots. The car wash exposed these spots. I don't think the car wash would cause so many spots . I can understand scratches but these are spots where paint has been eroded.

I feel I have been duped and looking for any guidance on how I can deal with this. I bought a pre certified car from a dealership thinking I will be in safe hands.

Please help.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:05 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Maybe try to post some pics when you are able?
Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 PM
4th Gear

I returned back from my dealer few hrs ago. The meeting lasted 3hrs and after lot of persuasion dealer has agreed to repaint the hood without me paying a dime.

The dealer did not own up on anything in the start and said it was entirely my fault and I must have caused it. I have no clue how he thought I could make 100 spots on my hood. I was at the dealership 2 days ago, before I did the car wash and an agent had looked at my car as I was planning to get the 3M bra installed. The agent had seen the car was crystal clear before the wash and had no mark. Marks only showed up when I washed my car. The towel I used to dry the car had paint all over it. I showed that to the dealer too. Even after that the dealership manager denied to own up anything. He had me take the car to an independent (quote quote)body shop, where dealer sends cars everyday. The body shop guy inspected my car and said it could be tree sap which could have caused it and it is common with acura. It can happen with overnight sap.. Unbelievable..I don't expect an expensive car like acura to loose color overnight.

The general manager made an offer to pay 75 % and me pay 25% of the expense. It was only when my friend mentioned we have already opened a ticket with Acura , the dealership agreed to contact acura. Acura agreed to take the entire tab. I am still not sure what happened exactly and if acura is actually paying or the dealership paying just to avoid problem with acura. Bottom line I am not paying anything from my pocket at this point.

I had called acura service center and opened an official case before I left for the dealership. I am going to follow up on that and see if I can get an explanation on why the color came off. I am pissed at dealership, as they are not owning up to the fact they tried to cover up the chips. I am going to try and get Acura involved and take some action against the dealership.

There are at least 5-6 other chips on the car apart from the hood, which the dealership refused to address. They are only going to repaint the hood.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:33 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
My 06 tsx is loaded with chips thanks to the lousy paint. At certain times they do not look that bad but the sun shines-YUCK. I have a touch-up pen that I have used on some of the chips. Maybe the previous owner tried to do the same thing. I am sure your car had them when you bought it. Not the dealer's fault. I think the biggest complaint from owners is the lousy paint. Many have put clear bra's on their cars to help prevent them. Nice of the dealer to repaint the hood.

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 06-15-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Almost Doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar experience. When the dealer gets the car, they buff it and touch it up like crazy. After a few car washes, the chips become very apparent. Luckily, my car is arctic blue pearl and it is not very noticeable. Besides, I live in the city and have decided my baby will get new bumpers and a hood repaint whenever I move out. It wasn't worth my time to pursue it, especially when new paint seems to attract chock marks from everyone parking on it :-(
Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 AM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
Yeah...Acura paint really sucks
Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 AM
4th Gear

The hood actually had a combination of chips and acid rain marks. If the dealer is buffing the car before selling it , it is cheating. The customer should know what he is paying for. Acura should take action against this, as their name is at stake.
I know it was waste of some valuable time, but I felt cheated of my hard earned money. I would return a t shirt if I found it was torn after reaching home, why would I not hold dealer accountable for something as costly as a car. I just feel pissed the dealerships are taking such advantage of people.

nj2@ If the previous owner had touched up the dealership would know about it. They do this for living and they can tell what a touch up job looks like. They should provide this information to the customers.

Acura is a slightly costlier brand of cars as compared to other in the market. They should justify this high cost with quality. If their paint sucks they should do something about it. Customers should not have to worry about touching up their cars everyday. I see loads of people complaining about acura paint for years on this forums, but looks like acura continues to have issues. If all of us open a ticket with acura, instead of complaining here, I am sure they will take notice. I am not sure how others feel about it. I might be little over the top for some.When I work daily for my living, I make sure I do the my best. I expect, to be treated the same by others.

I have a case open with Acura for their paint job, and am going to pursue it to the point I can.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Instructor

I have an 06 dark blue with 35,000 miles;bought it new.
Recently I moved to an area where I am forced to use a lot more highway driving.
After 2 years at my new house, it was loaded with hood chips, looked like a star wars special effect trailer. I complained to my service manager about the crappy paint and he set me up an appointment with the regional manager who was visiting in two months.
Two months later I got the call.
I visited with the regional manager (he was a very nice fellow) on a bright sunny day and he looked at the hood and said "Wow".
Upon detailed inspection he found many pits I did not notice, on the windshield.
We agreed it was probably the low profile of the vehicle and all the leftover sand and crap thrown up on the highway...I-169 in Tulsa is the only north-south highway in east Tulsa, it ends up in Kansas and is heavily traveled by trucks.
I believe wanting to do something nice on his visit, he asked what would make me happy, I said a new paint job would be great..he said he could not justify it with the window pits, as it was not obviously defective paint.
We agreed to split the cost of a hood repaint and he threw in a TSX hood bra to protect it.

I felt this very fair under the circumstances,. he could have blown me off totally.
Upon further conversation he complained about the rigors of dealing with the EPA and multi government agencies...I actually can see his point..it is a nightmare to have to comply with the many, many regulations and make a buck or two.

If our founding fathers saw the scope of todays gubberment and its reach into every facet of our lives, they would be furious.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
4th Gear

I am glad your service agent at the dealership was nice enough to schedule the appointment with the regional manager. My dealer totally wanted to blow me off. It is evident he had done a touch/buff job and tried to cover up(bad cover up). case at acura has a case manager assigned now and he is going to follow up with the dealership. Let us C. I understand the whole constraint from EPA and government agencies, but there are other car companies who are doing decent jobs with their paint.
My friends who drive BMW/Mercedes/Lexus have never had paint issues. In my case I only drove this car for 5-6 days after buying it and after washing it for the first time discovered the entire hood covered with spider cracks and chips. Looking at a 10 day old car hood filled with 50-60 spots is very disheartening.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I have onwed Hondas/Acuras exclusivley since 1992 - have bought my last due to paint issues.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 AM
7th Gear

yeah, it's really unfortunate about the quality of the paint. i'm sort of disappointed because with a lowered car the rocks and stuff from the road are travelling higher and doing a job on my hood.

eventually it will require a repaint... $$$
Old 07-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Advanced

Just curious, but what is the average cost of a hood repaint? I might be looking to do the same for my 2004 TSX.

The rest of my car looks good, but the hood is starting to get a little chipped. In another year or two, it will probably be even worse.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by philliesfan980
Just curious, but what is the average cost of a hood repaint? I might be looking to do the same for my 2004 TSX.

The rest of my car looks good, but the hood is starting to get a little chipped. In another year or two, it will probably be even worse.
my hood re-paint was 1100 half paid by acura.....they did hood, blended sides and top portion above windshield, as well as refinishing lower bumper area that was badly scraped...
Car now looks great...but am using free acura bra I was given; hope to drive this car till the wheels fall off.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by oldguytsxer
my hood re-paint was 1100 half paid by acura.....they did hood, blended sides and top portion above windshield, as well as refinishing lower bumper area that was badly scraped...
Car now looks great...but am using free acura bra I was given; hope to drive this car till the wheels fall off.
That's great. I don't think $1,100 is unreasonable. Luckily, I have a Silver TSX, and in terms of shine it still looks great, with very little fade.

I always wondered if you got a hood repaint, and the rest of your car wasn't "showroom new" (ie. it's a little faded), will it look ridiculous? Or will they try and match your somewhat faded car.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Instructor

I think rather than new ronjons or exhaust, 3M clearbra should be the first investment you should make if you really like your Acura.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by philliesfan980
That's great. I don't think $1,100 is unreasonable. Luckily, I have a Silver TSX, and in terms of shine it still looks great, with very little fade.

I always wondered if you got a hood repaint, and the rest of your car wasn't "showroom new" (ie. it's a little faded), will it look ridiculous? Or will they try and match your somewhat faded car.
I had a 2001 Maxima Silver Mist, that got rear ended on the expressway by a woman doing 55 when I was stopped. $9K damage later, the shop had matched the paint perfectly. Usually under parking lot lights at night you can see the fades, but they matched it perfect so you couldn't. so I would not worry, as long as you take it to a good shop.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:30 PM
1st Gear

the same thing happen to me

Originally Posted by screamdeaf
I bought a black color 2008 tl type s 10 days ago from an acura dealership. The car was in crystal clear conditions. I did not find any chip/mark on the car.

I did my first car wash today and to my dismay noticed loads of white chips on the hood. Right now the hood of the car looks really patch with tons of white spots. Looks like the car had gone through some touch up to cover the spots. The car wash exposed these spots. I don't think the car wash would cause so many spots . I can understand scratches but these are spots where paint has been eroded.

I feel I have been duped and looking for any guidance on how I can deal with this. I bought a pre certified car from a dealership thinking I will be in safe hands.

Please help.
Today I did my car wash and when I parked my ACURA TLX RED 9so you can see everything) I noticed hundreds of chips on the hood, only the hood of the car. I actually purchased this from the dealership new 2019. Does anybody have an inside on this? It looks like the paint in paperthing!! ​​​​​​​ i ony post one picture but the hod is full ​​​​​​​