Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
let's talk warranty

Crappy Dodge- 7 year

Good Acura- 4 year

What the hell, why?
Old 08-27-2003, 07:51 PM
Oklahoma Sooners

Hyundia or however you spell is like 5yr bumper to bumper and 10 year powertrain... I don't get it man
Old 08-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Pro

I thought it was just 10 year anything, no?
Old 08-27-2003, 08:04 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: let's talk warranty

Originally posted by moreace
Crappy Dodge- 7 year

Good Acura- 4 year

What the hell, why?
You think thats bad? Here in Canada we only get a 3 year warranty on our Acuras.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Crappy Dodge- 7 year

Good Acura- 4 year

What the hell, why?
It's a form of marketing incentive, and investment by Chrysler if you will.

GM gambles a lot on 0% financing and even has gone so far as sending me a 750$ cheque valid only if I bought a GM car before september 14th.

But each has their own way of attracting customers. Note that it doesn't mean that the car will be any more reliable because the warranty is longer. But it sure is the impression they are trying to give off. Buyers, beware!
Old 08-27-2003, 08:42 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Yes, 3 years warranty in Canada.

Warranty costs money to car makers... I guess that car makers can play with warranty to compensate for lower currency exchange (for an example in Canada). I may be wrong but the TSX is more expensive in the States vs Canada (please don't shoot me if I'm wrong). Therefore, given the same profit margin, they could offer a better warranty. I don't think some cars would sell as much if they were priced the US prices+ currency exchange rate.

On another note, there's the fact that there may be more factors in Canada that makes a car more expensive for a car maker (ie passing more stringent tests, day time running lights, heated mirrors...). They then could play with warranty to keep the price competitive.

Note: this is a SWAG (someone's wild @ss guess) so please no flames if I'm wrong.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Racer

Crappy Dodge- 7 year

Good Acura- 4 year

What the hell, why?
Yes, just because the warranty is longer does not mean the car is better or anything. I guess it just gives you more comfort knowing the warranty in longer. Most entry luxury/luxury companies offers 4 years. Including but not limited to lexus, bmw, mercedes, and infiniti. Out of those Acura however is the only one without free scheduled maintance. Although many say that is because others make you pay for it with the car. And that they do it in hopes that they also bring other things for that dealership to do. (the things that you have to pay for so that they can make money)
Old 08-27-2003, 08:52 PM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by lgregoir
Warranty costs money to car makers... I guess that car makers can play with warranty to compensate for lower currency exchange (for an example in Canada). I may be wrong but the TSX is more expensive in the States vs Canada (please don't shoot me if I'm wrong).

...snip...

On another note, there's the fact that there may be more factors in Canada that makes a car more expensive for a car
I think those are valid observations. One could buy an extended warranty from a third party for less than the price difference between the USA & CA. Also, note that Acura recommends the Severe use service schedule for all Canadian cars. I think that's a reflection of the overall harsher conditions that our winters expose our cars to. (sweeping but accurate generalization...) Harsher conditions == greater wear & tear.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:58 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Harsher conditions == greater wear & tear == higher cost for a car maker to give a warranty...
Old 08-27-2003, 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts

Crappy Dodge- 7 year

Good Acura- 4 year

What the hell, why?
They are taking advantage of the staggering amount of naivete on the part of consumers. Chrysler is a 3/36 full warranty with 7/70 listed as a "limited powertrain" warranty.

This means if your A/C craps out, or your power window stops working after the 3/36, you're SOL.

The Acura is 4/50 'bumper to bumper' except the battery and tires.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:49 PM
Advanced

It is all about attracting buyers. In my opinion, I believe that low standard car makers are offering outrageous limited warranty to attract customers to buy their make. I think that profit that they wil gain from more buyers, will outweigh the cost of warranty repairs. Think about it. Will you drive a Hyundai or Dodge after 7 years of owning it and feel content that the transmission and engine are covered, but everything else has fallen apart? The value of that vehicle is $0.00 I believe that after 5 years people tend to change cars, and the warranty is of no use. Just my opinion. That is why I purchased the 7yr/100,000mile bumper to bumper from Honda Motor Company. Everything is covered except wear and tear, abuse and not taking the vehicle for regular maintenance (ex. oil change )
Old 08-28-2003, 01:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Crappy Dodge- 7 year

Good Acura- 4 year

What the hell, why?
Translation: Dodge is desperate for customers. Same as Hyundai.

Better warranties are sales incentives for customers.

Regarding Acura's 3 year Canadian warranties, don't feel bad. My two former 80's-era US-market Hondas had one-year 12 month warranties. And very recently (maybe currently??), VW's and Fords have had the same dismal one-year warranties too.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

I was always told to beware car companies that seem to offer unusually long warranty periods. I guess the logic is that the only other way these car manufacturers can get people to buy their car is to offer them a long warranty period. I feel secure enough about Acura's reliability that I will buy one with a 4 year warranty as opposed to another car with a longer warranty period. A Dodge is a whole other story. Not that I would buy one anyway, but you'd have to give me at least a seven year warranty to have me even consider getting one. Besides, even if you have a long warranty, you really don't want to get a car that's going to be in the shop all the time for repairs, even if they are covered.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of you guys are missing the point entirely. Dodge is offering what is a "Powertrain" warranty. Acura offers a 4/50 "bumper-to-bumper" warranty. Like it was said above. If you have any issues with say a bad A/C system after the initial coverage, you're screwed. If you have a drivetrain component screw up (like your transmission or drive shaft), you're covered for 7 years. The Acura has a 7/70 powertrain standard anyway. Not to mention the extra piece of mind of having a 4/50 bumper-to-bumper that also includes roadside assistance.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:21 AM
9th Gear

"The Acura has a 7/70 powertrain standard anyway."

Kurt,

Is this true that the TSX comes standard with a 7/70 powertrain warranty? I don't recall seeing it stated in the manual, but I'll look it over closer.
Thanks
Old 08-29-2003, 11:56 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by onehit
[B]"The Acura has a 7/70 powertrain standard anyway."[QUOTE]

This is our warranty according to the Acura website:

"Our commitment only begins with the delivery of each vehicle. All new Acura vehicles and any dealer-installed accessories are covered by a 4-year/50,000-mile limited warranty, while the outer body is covered by a 5-year/unlimited-mile limited warranty against rust-through. (See your Acura Dealer for details of each warranty and applicable exclusions, such as normal wear and ordinary maintenance items.) "

I haven't read the warrany book in my car yet though.. can anyone else confirm?