Let's make a deal!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004 | 09:23 PM
Advanced

Let's make a deal!

Alright guys, I would appreciate some guidance here...

I'm gonna be buying a TSX within the next month or so. I know exactly what I want (SSM, Ebony, AT, No Navi) and how much I "want" to pay for it ($25.5k or less). The problem is getting what I want for the price I want.
My local dealer doesn't have the color combo I want, and I haven't inquired about when they might get one either. Now, my question is how do I approach them? Should I just email the internet sales manager and say "I want x car for y dollars. Can you do this?" Or, begin by asking when they will get my preferred color combo in...and then negotiate the price? There are a few dealers that are 100-200 miles away that do have the color combo that I want, but I would prefer buying the car local.

Old 02-02-2004 | 09:36 PM
Drifting

Ambient, to get it for the price you want, you need to be more flexible and willing to travel!

I don't think it's a bad idea to just make an offer to them, and once they agree, THEN talk about the color combo. Don't let them use the color combo issue as their ammunition. However, they probably will want you to take their stock car anyway.

By the way, if you make an offer, just expect them to go higher. They are unlikely to say right away, "yes, I will accept that offer", unless you tell them, "so and so offer me that price, so are you willing to match or what?".

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2004 | 10:13 AM
Automobile Aficionado

My advice had being in the car buisness---is to set up all the numbers and then let the dealer hunt one down. But get the numbers in written. Unless you dont have a dealership other then the one you are going to within 500 miles....they should be able to find you one. Where are you from and looking?
Old 02-04-2004 | 08:56 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by NJtsx
My advice had being in the car buisness---is to set up all the numbers and then let the dealer hunt one down. But get the numbers in written. Unless you dont have a dealership other then the one you are going to within 500 miles....they should be able to find you one. Where are you from and looking?
I'm from the west side of Michigan, so dealers around the Detroit and Chicago areas are a possibility(within 150-200 miles). Even if I don't have to travel that far to buy one, I can always use them as leverage when negotiating a price at my local dealer. I think you're right about getting the price established first though.

Another question...I'll be putting about $13k-$14k down, so I plan on financing about the same amount. Should I try to obtain financing through a service like lendingtree or my bank, or just go through the dealer? Would it matter when negotiating the lowest price? I have a good credit score(around 750) if that matters.

Thanks Again!
Old 02-04-2004 | 09:32 PM
Advanced

Ambient...I put down the same amount for my TSX. Get an internet loan, they are around 3.75-4% now depending on the # of months. You are under no obligation to use them. This is lower than a bank. Then go to the car dealer and see what they have. Honda offered me their special financing. The key is not to let the dealer know you are already pre-approved for a loan. They would think they can make money from you thru their financing so they might lower the sale price of the car at the beginning. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2004 | 09:44 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Originally posted by Ambient
I'm from the west side of Michigan, so dealers around the Detroit and Chicago areas are a possibility(within 150-200 miles). Even if I don't have to travel that far to buy one, I can always use them as leverage when negotiating a price at my local dealer. I think you're right about getting the price established first though.

Another question...I'll be putting about $13k-$14k down, so I plan on financing about the same amount. Should I try to obtain financing through a service like lendingtree or my bank, or just go through the dealer? Would it matter when negotiating the lowest price? I have a good credit score(around 750) if that matters.

Thanks Again!
No go through the dealership...they always deal with the better banks....sometimes you can get a loan independantly at a better interest rate....but almost always better through the dealers bank(unless the dealership are a-holes). No INTERNET loans please!! See if you can some special rates through the dealership. almost always the dealership can do better. dont give in.

750 is good and you shouldn't have aproblem getting approved as long as your not too over extended.

you always want to negotiate lowest prices. Especially when putting that much down. dealers start drooling when they here 13-14K down. Pm me if you want to talk more detailed....
Old 02-04-2004 | 10:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I sell motorcycles, so I have an idea how the game works. That being said, I have had about enough of the "I can buy one here for this much" thing. I did a lot of research and found that 1200-1300 off was a decent deal. Keep in mind that I started looking in April as my lease was up in August, and I wanted to have something lined up. I knew the car was hot, and with only one Acura dealer in town, my options were limited. My advice is to tell the dealer that you know what there being sold for and your willing to pay that. The down payment shouldn't affect the price of the car. Maybe this sounds weird coming from a salesman but, when I'm looking to buy something, I do as much homework on the internet as possible. I get a handle on what I can expect to pay, if the salesperson is honest and willing to work with me, I'll buy there. I'm a human being like everyone else, and a salesperson only makes money when they sell something. If there's one thing a salesperson can't stand is an unreasonable customer. Don't bullshit the guy or girl with a price that's not legit. I have tons of repeat customers because of me, not necessarily because I'm the cheapest deal in town. There's still something to be said about being comfortable with who your dealing with. The so called cheapest place in town is usually the dealer to run from.
Old 02-05-2004 | 07:43 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by NJtsx
... dealers start drooling when they here 13-14K down ...
Is this true? Why would a dealer care whether someone puts down 13-14K, a higher amount, or even a lower amount (or nothing down)?

Mike
Old 02-05-2004 | 07:50 AM
Instructor

Re: Let's make a deal!

Originally posted by Ambient
There are a few dealers that are 100-200 miles away that do have the color combo that I want, but I would prefer buying the car local.
I'm not sure if my experience is unique or typical. I live in the Boston area. There are at least five dealerships within about 30 miles of my house, but I called the dealership in Hampton, NH -- 40+ miles from home. The salesperson I spoke to didn't jump at the opportunity to sell a hot car to someone who lived far enough away so that the customer relationship ended with the sale. I did end up buying there and got a decent price (and the best offer by far that I'd rec'd on my trade), but had I lived much further away, I don't know that he would have been as ready to deal.

Mike
Old 02-06-2004 | 04:55 PM
Teh ?

Originally posted by mcourt83
Is this true? Why would a dealer care whether someone puts down 13-14K, a higher amount, or even a lower amount (or nothing down)?

Mike
That's a great number for the dealer for a 30k car... figure in that the down payment goes straight to the dealership, while the financing deal will fill their pockets for a while. Lower down payments mean that the dealer has to wait a bit to get the money that they make off the sale. Lately, with sales not being so brisk and still accounting for operating costs, a dealer would love a solid down payment for the short run.

Junkster, who found out that each Subie sold mean 2000 k bonus for the dealership (not the rebate), and guarantee for two new vehicles.
Old 02-12-2004 | 08:34 AM
Intermediate

Ambient -

Having worked in the industry and purchsed many a car for family and friends, here are some steps to take:

1) If $25.5 is your max, then you need to keep to that max and do not let them push you into a higher bracket if you cannot afford it.

2) Call several dealers to see if anyone in the remote area has the car you want. If they do and you are willing to travel, go directly to that dealership to negotiate a deal.

3) If nobody has the car, or it would have to be brought in from elsewhere, you may have to be willing to be flexible on either price or color combination.

4) Keep in mind that $25.5 is a difficult price to get for a 'readily available' TSX - just ask around the forums. My guess is that moving into the second half of 2004 supply will open up a bit more - so you may want to wait until then if you can.

5) Assuming someone has "the car" or one you are willing to accept, walk into the dealership and say: "I want that car right there. I'll pay $25,500 plus tax and fees. If you can do it, I'll take the car right now."

There is no need to mention financing or money down at this point - you are only interested in the selling price of the car. If they are willing to let the car go at that price and see you mean to be serious, then you're 75% of the way to your new car! If they want to haggle - you have two options: listen to their counter offer, or stick to your guns. If your pricepoint is fixed, then you simply say, "Thank you, but my budget is $25,500 - if you cannot do that price, then perhaps I need to look elsewhere."

And then STICK TO YOUR GUNS if that is what you want.

Now, assuming you get the car at the price you want - you move into finance. At that point they ask if you want to finance. You say, "yes" and then ask "What's my rate?" (you've probably already filled out a credit application). When they come back with a ridiculous number, just say, "okay, nevermind - I'll line up my own financing then, your figures are far too high."

And that's that. Simple. You just have to have your information and your floor and ceiling prepared BEFORE you walk in the door to negotiate, and then stick within your own parameters. You may find that nobody can match your parameters and if that's the case, you may have to look to another vehicle, or just wait a little longer.

Good luck!
Old 02-12-2004 | 10:53 PM
Advanced

Thanks tgrundke! I appreciate the advice. I'm new to the whole purchasing through a dealer situation. I've been pre-approved for a rate of 4.35% which I'm happy as of right now. I doubt the dealer could do much better, but I'll see.

I've checked a lot of Acura dealer sites within travelling distance and many of them do have the exact color combo i want. You mentioned "walking into the dealer" and telling them straight up "I'll pay $25.5k now." Would that technique be effective by emailing the internet sales mgr and saying the same. I'd rather just agree on a deal by email and have it in writing, and then once that's done, go to the dealer to sign the papers, etc. In fact, most of the dealers have online financing applications as well. I know I sound lazy, but part of the reason is...I'll most likely have to travel 2 hrs to a Chicago or Detroit area dealer, and also I'd feel more comfortable in a low pressure situation by email or phone.
Old 03-07-2004 | 03:03 AM
Cruisin'

Just curious, when you say $25,500 does that include the destination fee?

RedBox
Old 03-07-2004 | 12:16 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by RedBox
Just curious, when you say $25,500 does that include the destination fee?

RedBox
Yes, hopefully. I'm gonna be getting prices this week or next. I'll post what offers I get.
Old 03-07-2004 | 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the reply Ambient. I am also in the market to buy which was why I asked that question. I'll start emailing next week and see what kind of offers I get. So far I've got one offer for $26,000 for a non-navi but do not know if that includes the destination fee as the email reply from the dealer was not very clear.

RedBox
Old 03-07-2004 | 01:55 PM
DPZ
Advanced

I found it helpful to be very clear in emails requesting quotes from dealers. Tell them what accessories you want included (floor mats or whatever) and what the price should cover (e.g., inclusive of destination fee, dealer prep or document fees). Basically, the price should include all dealer fees and only additional fees should be state/govt mandated taxes and registration. Or, you could negotiate on the out the door price instead.

Around Chicago at least, I think you could get a few hundred below 26K if you find a dealer with a few TSXs on the lot and has the color you want.
Old 03-07-2004 | 02:20 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the tips DPZ.

RedBox
Old 03-07-2004 | 10:09 PM
Advanced

RedBox,

Are you looking in the Chicago area? What color combo are you looking for?
Old 03-07-2004 | 10:23 PM
Cruisin'

Ambient,

No I am not in Chicago. I am looking in Oklahoma. Want a MSM/6MT/NonNavi.

RedBox
Old 03-08-2004 | 03:21 PM
10th Gear

Ambient,
I think that $25.5 including destination is a fair offer. On Saturday, based on information gained from lurking on these boards for a week or so, I presented that price to a dealer and he immediately accepted. They are still making around 9% profit at this price, which is enough, in my opinion. I wanted a NBP/5AT/NonNav and luckily he had one. Good luck with your search.

Eric
Old 03-11-2004 | 04:05 PM
10th Gear

wow, I tried to negotiate a price last night, and they wouldn't budge below $26k. obviously, I am still tsx-less.
Old 03-12-2004 | 08:17 PM
Cruisin'

Ambient,

Just to let you know, I got mine today at $25,250 inclusive of destination fee, splash guard, trunk tray, all season floor mats and wheel locks.

Got an Arctic blue pearl non Navi auto.

RedBox
Old 03-12-2004 | 09:32 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by RedBox
Ambient,

Just to let you know, I got mine today at $25,250 inclusive of destination fee, splash guard, trunk tray, all season floor mats and wheel locks.

Got an Arctic blue pearl non Navi auto.

RedBox
Nice! Congrats on the purchase, especially at that price. Post some pics if ya can. I emailed 3 dealers today with an offer of $25,300, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully by this time next week I'll be an owner.
Old 03-12-2004 | 09:41 PM
Cruisin'

When I do get some pics I'll be sure to share them. I forgot to include that there was a $149.50 processing fee plus $10 loan fee. I think you have a good chance of going lower too if you try. Good luck to you.

RedBox
Old 03-16-2004 | 12:03 PM
DJL
4th Gear

Ambient, I am a newbie also looking in the Chicago area for a blue pearl/6mt/non navi.

I've been looking around the area and looking around this site for a couple weeks for the right deal. I'm getting internet offers from 26,9 to 26 flat. I plan on trying to lock them down to a decent price online, then try to make the deal a bit better when on the lot. (my goal is low to mid 25's) The old "I will buy this car TODAY if..." is always a good line.

I'll let you know if I get a killer deal, Keep me updated on your success/failure in and around the chicago area...

RedBox, congrats man that is a sweet deal.

anyone know if the price has been more/less flexible when looking for a MT v. AT?
Old 03-16-2004 | 12:29 PM
Advanced

DJL, Im goin to be looking for one CGebony/AT/non navi around may or so. I havent really been shopping prices around, but i hope to get somethin in th 25's as well. Lemme know about your experience too! Happy hunting!

Also i would think that MT would = less flexibility on price. Ive been lookin at the inventories online and i havent seen many MT. Then again, those lists might not be up to date. Have you tried looking over in Libertyville? Theyve got a hefty stock of tsx's.
Old 03-16-2004 | 12:55 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by DJL
Ambient, I am a newbie also looking in the Chicago area for a blue pearl/6mt/non navi.

I've been looking around the area and looking around this site for a couple weeks for the right deal. I'm getting internet offers from 26,9 to 26 flat. I plan on trying to lock them down to a decent price online, then try to make the deal a bit better when on the lot. (my goal is low to mid 25's) The old "I will buy this car TODAY if..." is always a good line.

I'll let you know if I get a killer deal, Keep me updated on your success/failure in and around the chicago area...

RedBox, congrats man that is a sweet deal.

anyone know if the price has been more/less flexible when looking for a MT v. AT?

I ended up just emailing a few dealers here in Michigan (Detroit area). I've only gotten 1 response back (from Acura of Troy) and he offered $25,500 + tax, title, etc. Final price is around $27,100 out the door. This includes the protection package which I asked him to throw in. I orginally emailed them an offer of $25,300, so I am pretty pleased. I stuck with the dealers in MI because they're a little closer and less hectic to get to. I'm sure Chicago area dealers would be able to offer a similar deal though. Most dealers seem to be offering around $25.5k. Good Luck!