Least fuel-efficient 4Cylinder in modern history?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's quoting CNN.com.

I used to travel from Queens to Fort Lee, NJ, which is one bridge away from NY, everyday. The trip was 15 miles, that usually takes 45 minutes (not to mention $10 toll per round trip). I'd say that's easily 100% longer than traffic at speed limit. I'd say that's pretty amazing too.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:33 PM
More On

Hey Craze, I don't wanna be fighting you on more than 3 threads at a time

so, I'll just say this and then get out.

I believe you. But either there's something wrong with your TSX, or something wrong with your gasoline, or something odd about your driving, or your driving conditions are just awful.

I'm thrilled with the TSX's gas efficiency, best I ever had -- but then again I never had a 4-cyl before. I've never been able to go so far and so long between fill-ups. It's been a little worse during these cold months than it was at first, but even now, I get 24-28 (mixed).
Old 01-04-2004, 11:45 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by larchmont
But either there's something wrong with your TSX, or something wrong with your gasoline, or something odd about your driving, or your driving conditions are just awful.
Yeah, I don't know how many times we can say this. Believe him or not (which I really don't care either way), the issue boils down to one or more of those 4 topics.

The fact of it not having significant gains over his v6/8 explorer seems a bit odd, but again, maybe its traffic.

-r
Old 01-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Banned

Just for fun... I think you'd have to be a real idiot to disbelieve my mileage figures.

First of all I wouldn't be ranting and raving about it just for fun.

Second of all I wouldn't be getting upset over some story I made up.

Thirdly, these mileage figures are corroborated HERE in a thread that you [idx] might have read... considering you posted in it. MORE HERE .

Finally... :noob:
Old 01-05-2004, 12:12 AM
More On

Sorry, back again for a sec.....

Nobody is doubting Craze's veracity, but I think we're pretty close to establishing that he can't read.

Craze, where did anybody on here say they don't believe you?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:34 AM
Instructor

To crazytree:

1) Do you believe everything you read? Clinton News Network, puhleez.

2) Reading your posts, one can assume from your "I am correct and everyone else is stupid" attitude that you are in fact the root cause of your gas dillema. It doesn't take a detective to realize you have a lead foot.

3) How old are you? I'm guessing early 20's, which would explain alot. If so, than you still don't understand the dynamics of a motor vehhicle, despite what you think. If you are older, see below.

I dare you to try this after your next fillup: Slow down, quit hammering the pedal every chance you get, and drive cautiously.
Then come back after your tank is empty and tell us what your MPG is. I would bet you will reach 20-25, city or highway.

Good luck and Godspeed.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:39 AM
04 remembrance

Originally posted by yomama
To crazytree:

1) Do you believe everything you read? Clinton News Network, puhleez.

2) Reading your posts, one can assume from your "I am correct and everyone else is stupid" attitude that you are in fact the root cause of your gas dillema. It doesn't take a detective to realize you have a lead foot.

3) How old are you? I'm guessing early 20's, which would explain alot. If so, than you still don't understand the dynamics of a motor vehhicle, despite what you think. If you are older, see below.

I dare you to try this after your next fillup: Slow down, quit hammering the pedal every chance you get, and drive cautiously.
Then come back after your tank is empty and tell us what your MPG is. I would bet you will reach 20-25, city or highway.

Good luck and Godspeed.
since when did age determine the weight of insight?
Old 01-05-2004, 12:43 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Crazy's attitude aside, why do you believe that he's lying about driving conservatively?? I'm not slamming my gas pedal and my mpg sucks too.

I still think we should have a separate forum for people to bitch/brag about their fuel economy.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:10 AM
Registered AssHat

To quote another post...I drive like Mario Andretti. I do lots of full thottle starts, excessive speed, etc. I filled up tonight...24 MPG. This is with probably 60%-70% highway.

In addition, I have an Injen CAI. More air + full throttle = more gas.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:29 AM
Banned

Do you believe everything you read? Clinton News Network, puhleez.
1) Are the traffic figures are part of a liberal immigrant Jew conspiracy?

How old are you? I'm guessing early 20's, which would explain alot. If so, than you still don't understand the dynamics of a motor vehhicle, despite what you think.
2) I am pretty sure I understand enough about a "motor vehhicle" to be able to tell: a. what conservative driving is and b. how to calculate my gas mileage. Additionally, I am also able to spell the word "vehicle"... which would narrow down my age to the above 11 years old range for you.

Slow down, quit hammering the pedal every chance you get, and drive cautiously.Then come back after your tank is empty and tell us what your MPG is. I would bet you will reach 20-25, city or highway.
3) OK I'm back. I'm still getting 19MPG... as I have been getting driving conservatively for the past five months. So in retrospect... I'm right and you're wrong.

Good luck and SMFD.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:39 AM
Racer

How come in this thread you're saying you drive conservatively?

don't sportshift. define "heavy foot". in my head there is only one way to drive... ???
Am I just an agressive driver? Anyone else having this experience?

Now that I think about it I had a pretty low average MPG with my last set of wheels... I'm beginning to think that it's a driving style issue more than a vehicle gas performance issue.
I forgot to mention that I'm driving an AT and have a congested commute M-F, AC on all the time. But my question is... does this have to do with driving "style"?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:41 AM
Banned

Even though I had to spend most of my time in this thread bitch slapping fanboys... I think I have come up with the answer.

It's pretty simple... but I actually had to draw out the answers to see the pattern.

Mileage is directly proportionate to the density of traffic in your commute. The people getting the worst mileage here all live in Los Angeles or in another similarly congested metro area.

Los Angeles has the worst traffic and therefore Angelenos have the worst mileage.

As for why my V6 was getting similar mileage... it's probably due to the fact I had a different commute. I didn't think the commute was objectively better/worse... but apparently it was.

Cheetos.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ssm_tsx
How come in this thread you're saying you drive conservatively?
I do drive conservatively. Please point out the post where I said "I am an aggressive driver".

In another thread I asked about buying new wheels. You may be shocked to learn that I didn't buy new wheels.

I asked for an objective opinion on what an "aggresssive driver" was in order to determine whether or not I fell into that category. Based on the expected feedback, I objectively determined that my driving style does not fall within that definition.

Thank you for playing, please try again.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:08 AM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by jcg878
Crazy's attitude aside, why do you believe that he's lying about driving conservatively?? I'm not slamming my gas pedal and my mpg sucks too.

I still think we should have a separate forum for people to bitch/brag about their fuel economy.
Beginning the thread with "Least fuel-efficient 4Cylinder in modern history?" is kinda argumentative to begin with. I didn't look up the gas mileage figures but the Porsche 968 4-banger was 3.0 liters and I'd be shocked if the TSX didn't get better gas mileage. So the answer IMO is "no", the TSX is not the least fuel efficient 4 cylinder in modern history.

I'm not bragging, I'm just saying that driving a car with similar horsepower, similar engine displacement, manual transmission and similar weight over the same roads I experienced similar gas mileage as with the TSX. I don't think I ever experienced spectacular gas mileage from the Volvo. If gas mileage was of major concern to me I would have bought a Toyota Prius or a VW diesel.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:41 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Originally posted by Crazytree
Just for fun... I think you'd have to be a real idiot to disbelieve my mileage figures.

First of all I wouldn't be ranting and raving about it just for fun.

Second of all I wouldn't be getting upset over some story I made up.

Thirdly, these mileage figures are corroborated HERE in a thread that you [idx] might have read... considering you posted in it. MORE HERE .

Finally... :noob:
Thanks slick. I do not believe your mileage figures are indicitive of the car as a whole, but certainly believe them with respect to driving style, conditions and gasoline type.

Yes, I've read the post and if you notice, I'm asking a simple question in the linked post. Not badgering anyone or saying "well I get 26-3x mpg, wtf is wrong with you and your POS car, I rule, muhahahahah".

People state they're getting good (? 25+) mpg and others state that they're below 23. (and somewhat dissapointed) Then again, some follow that up with `but this is with 90% city driving, perhaps that's it`. Which, oddly enough, is one of the 4 factors that were previously mentioned. (ding ding ding)

It's pretty simple... but I actually had to draw out the answers to see the pattern.
Thanks for catching up with the rest of us.

If your tone wasn't so inflammatory, maybe people would care to listen to you.

-r
Old 01-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Banned

Originally posted by idx
If your tone wasn't so inflammatory, maybe people would care to listen to you.
Oh don't be such a drama queen... you read and responded irrespective of any "tone".

Either way... vacation is over... so back to school. Cheers.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:11 AM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

Oh don't be such a drama queen... you read and responded irrespective of any "tone".

Either way... vacation is over... so back to school. Cheers.
Clear facts and reality = DQ .. Nice. I read and responded since this is a running thread I've been involved in. If I were just reading this (50+ posts in), I wouldn't waste my time responding since all you do is argue.

School? Such a predictable response. Lets see, I took about 4 days off work this holiday. Quite a vacation.

Time for this to be locked.

-r
Old 01-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the way guys, I drive in heavy Los Angeles traffic every day. I almost never get on the highway in the morning - I take surface roads in and it is stop and go all the time. In the worst of it, I get 20 - 21 mpg. In more mixed driving, it is more like 26. I'm not getting bad MPG at all.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Über Geek

Hey, c'mon fellas… I think Crazytree just needs a hug.
Any takers?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:40 AM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
And like I said earlier... if you live in the boonies and drive every day on empty highways... of course your mileage is going to be high. For us city folk... [I drive the 10 through downtown M-Sat] the mileage is going to be shit.
From reading your posts, I have an impression that the gas mileage is probably the major concern for you given you already know your driving conditions. If this is true, why would you consider the TSX in the first place? Why not go with a Civic Hybrid instead?
Old 01-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Crazytree,

We have given you every possible solution, yet everyone is wrong and you are correct (in your eyes).

Why don't you go to another TSX forum and see what others have to say? Then come back here with the results.

Otherwise, quit your whining. The horse is dead.

Kids, jeesh.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:25 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Old 01-05-2004, 02:29 PM
STi'd

I posted earlier that I got 400mi to the tank which is 23.5mpg. What I didn't say was that the needle was right above the red marker, which I'm assuming I have 2 gallons left. So calculating on 15 gallons gives me 26.5mpg in mixed driving with a few high-revving runs on the freeway on-ramps in Hawaii's humid air!

Crazytree, maybe you check your car out, seems like something's wrong. I also use 76 premium and won't use anything else other than Chevron. From my experience, additives in the gas do matter. In my first car, a 92 accord, I used this cheapy crap gas and the car would sputter and choke, then all of a sudden take off. Different mechanic diagnoses ranged from distributor problems to changing the gas. I changed the gas to 76 and the problem went away completely. Gas, is not gas IMHO.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by gavinn58
I posted earlier that I got 400mi to the tank which is 23.5mpg. What I didn't say was that the needle was right above the red marker, which I'm assuming I have 2 gallons left. So calculating on 15 gallons gives me 26.5mpg in mixed driving with a few high-revving runs on the freeway on-ramps in Hawaii's humid air!
There is a much easier way ...

Fill tank ... reset odometer .... drive ... fill up tank and read number of gallons put in car and divide that into the odometer reading ... repeat

No need to guess And whatever you do ... don't trust what the Navi says ... we have been through that before and it is not the definitive source either.

FYI - Let's either tank MPG experiences or this thread is over. No need to talk about who is BS'ing who on what.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Racer

My driving style has gone from lead foot to complete madman over the past few months -- I love this engine and I'm putting it to good use and I'm perfectly satisfied with the fuel economy.

I'm 90% city driving, and still averaging 20+MPG overall. So, Crazy, I'm not doing much better than your stated 19MPG, but if you're characterizing your driving as conservative, there must be something up with your car or gas or some other Crazy-specific factor.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Registered AssHat

IBTL

PW + 1

:-*
Old 01-05-2004, 03:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I average about 24 to 26 MPG 80city/20 Highway with my best at 34.8 MPG which was all highway. (500 miles used 14.5 G). I never put in more than 14.5 G and have never driven less than 500KM's on that tank (312.5 miles) which is never worse than 22 MPG.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:31 PM
You want me to break it?

As much as it hurts, I have to agree with killer on this one....
...... ..... let it go, it ain't worth it at this point.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:20 PM
STi'd

Originally posted by provench
There is a much easier way ...

Fill tank ... reset odometer .... drive ... fill up tank and read number of gallons put in car and divide that into the odometer reading ... repeat

No need to guess And whatever you do ... don't trust what the Navi says ... we have been through that before and it is not the definitive source either.

FYI - Let's either tank MPG experiences or this thread is over. No need to talk about who is BS'ing who on what.
Actually that's kind of what I did...I just wasn't sure on the tank capacity of the tsx and didn't bother to look it up either, so I went with 17 gal. as someone posted earlier. I put in about 14.8xx gallons and rounded it up. My car is non-navi as well.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:27 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Okay...here's my few cents:

1. I have a 2001 EL. Only after about 10-11,000Km of traveling, did I start to get consistently decent mileage. Before 10,000Km, I was getting anywhere from 8L/100Km to 14L/100Km. Now that I'm in the 14,000Km range, I'm getting a fairly consistent 8-9L/100Km. I can be somewhat aggressive in that I like to get up to the speed limit fairly quickly (not like some people on the road who take like minutes to get up to the limit....and then of course, they zoom past me since I don't speed....). So, maybe it's just that your car isn't thoroughly broken in yet.

2. Perhaps the gas where you gas up is "watered down", octane wise, and they're just *telling* you it's the right Octane. Maybe try another big-name gas station for a month and see if it makes a difference. My dad has a 99 Maxima, which requires premium....when we have to tank up with regular or silver, the mileage drops *significantly*.

3. Lung: Thanks for bringing back your old avatar.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:42 PM

I thought this was a very important thread. Many issues were resolved in this discussion.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:49 AM
Race Director

Received 631 Likes on 507 Posts
Why not?
PW
Old 01-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Banned

Wow... a lot of people getting 20-22mpg. Best I ever got was 20.5 I think.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:33 AM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow... a lot of people getting 20-22mpg. Best I ever got was 20.5 I think.
I usually get much higher than that. Lemme ask, for typical conservative driving, what RPMs do you shift? I shift at 3500 for gears 1-2-3-4. Unless i need some power, then i got to 4500. once in a rare while i will redline the car, but only if i really need to...
Old 01-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Banned

I have an AT and I don't sportshift. I was thinking that maybe due to the high compression of the engine... perhaps it performs more efficiently under more aggressive driving styles? Going to switch gas and maybe start sportshifting.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:33 AM
More On

Craze, most of us get a lot better numbers with MT, and with AT on sportshift, and with AT on automatic. Most of us get a lot better numbers no matter what we do. Unless you don't believe us.

And no, you DON'T get better numbers with more aggressive driving, you get worse numbers. I guarantee it.

BTW I think that with the 5 AT, the numbers tend to be a little worse with the sportshift, but I'm not sure.