Last options question: Foglights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 09:52 PM
LHC
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last options question: Foglights?

I think I've posted a question about every option I'm considering on this forum except one: Are the foglights worth it? I'm somewhat surprised that they're not standard, but I seem to recall seeing some talk on this forum about them being suceptible to breakage due to their low position.

Does anyone have experience with them, pro or con?
Old 12-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I like'em... They work great for me on rural roads at night.

I got fog light material on mine...but they did yellow on me once cause I left them on while I was taking pictures.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Advanced

Fog lights are nice and good at night on long dark highway. Not absolutely necessary though.

TSX'R'US where did you get the fog ligh protector???
Old 12-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cruzingsilver
Fog lights are nice and good at night on long dark highway. Not absolutely necessary though.

TSX'R'US where did you get the fog ligh protector???
I got mine from a local installer. I just went to xpel's (www.xpel.com) website and checked who was the closest to me and got mine from him. I got them for my headlights too cause there were allready a few dings on them.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LHC
I think I've posted a question about every option I'm considering on this forum except one: Are the foglights worth it? I'm somewhat surprised that they're not standard, but I seem to recall seeing some talk on this forum about them being suceptible to breakage due to their low position.

Does anyone have experience with them, pro or con?
Do yourself a favor and pass. Everybody who gets them, experiences one break after another. And, they are ridiculously expensive to fix.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:24 AM
Cruisin'

Is there a particular reason the tsx fogs break? Are they glass lenses? I've had low fogs on all my cars for as long as I can remember without a problem.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:14 AM
TechLedr

They are a plastic, that does seam a little thin.

Check out this thread, where a wire mesh protector is used. I am in the process of making this mod, since I had the passenger side "rocked".

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14669
Old 12-07-2004, 08:45 AM
ABP TSX

I added the OEM fog light kit myself after the purchase of the TSX. After 13 months, I noticed that the drivers side fog is severely cracked. I guess I will be replacing a rock damaged lens as well.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:59 PM
ric
Safety Car

This thread went into the effectiveness of these things at some depth. If you want a fashion statement, they're cute, but .... they are subject to damage from low rocks, they can't be used independent of the headlamps, which reduces their efficiency in true fog or ground blizzard conditions, and they don't do much when you do have the lows on. True fog lamps are designed to light the road surface while moving at VERY SLOW speeds in very foggy conditions, they are not designed to illuminate the road so you can crank back up to 80.......................... This thread deals with the topic pretty exhaustively, and there are some members who are installing their own fogs on an independent switch.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=fog+lights

I've had fog lights on a couple of cars, and the lenses broke, cracked and shattered due to low-road gravel and rock kickup. Replacing a fog lamp on my old Mazda Millenia ran about $500/lamp, n/incl labor..................... not worth it in my opinion. Spend the money on something else.........
Old 12-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Jewdacris!!

I actually bought some aftermarket PIAA foggies and after about 2 months i notice on of mine had cracked as well. So its not just the stock lenses that have this issue.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:23 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally Posted by LHC
Are the foglights worth it? I'm somewhat surprised that they're not standard, but I seem to recall seeing some talk on this forum about them being suceptible to breakage due to their low position.
The foglights are "worth it" if you live in an area that gets a lot of fog. I live at the shore, and we get a lot of fog, so it's "worth it" to me.

I have fogs on 3 of our cars; on one car I've replaced zero fog lights, zero headlights and zero windshields in 10 years, on another car, 2 fog lights, 4 headlights and 3 windshields in 7 years, and I'm still waiting for the first one to break on the TSX. Which it will, of course.

The complete TSX kits, BTW, go for about $280 from one of the Honda parts discounters, individual replacement lights would be less. The stoneshields are an idea, I've not purchased them because I use the fog lights a lot, they heat up and I've heard stories of the lenses cracking from heat buildup alone behind the plastic shield.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:56 PM
pby
Instructor

Originally Posted by gsclifton
I added the OEM fog light kit myself after the purchase of the TSX. After 13 months, I noticed that the drivers side fog is severely cracked. I guess I will be replacing a rock damaged lens as well.
If the design of the fog light cover is flawed, such that small rocks will crack that and not the headlight cover, then shouldn't Acura be responsible for correcting this problem under warranty?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my opinion: yes. But, lets see what Acura has to say (I just wrote them about this issue).
Old 12-08-2004, 12:40 PM
pby
Instructor

Originally Posted by darth62
In my opinion: yes. But, lets see what Acura has to say (I just wrote them about this issue).
Good Luck dude. I hope you can set a precedent.