Kids in your TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 08:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kids in your TSX?

If you routinely drive with children in the back seat of your TSX, you might be interested in something we just bought. It's a gizmo to hold your DVD player on the back of the front seat, or between the two front seats (if you have two children).
Essentially it's like a zippered portfolio case that holds the DVD ,and uses straps to hang it from the headrest post. It also includes two headphones, a 'Y' adapter so the two headphones can be used together, and an inverter into which the AC plug from the DVD player is plugged (no batteries).
We found it at Best Buy and it cost $84, worth every penny in our estimation.
The downside? I have to hear The Wiggles a LOT more than I'd like to!
Old 12-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Thanks, I got a question for all the dads here too. Do you strap your babyseat using just your seatbelt is there another way? Also where do you put your babyseat? Left right or middle?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Originally Posted by jojo77
Thanks, I got a question for all the dads here too. Do you strap your babyseat using just your seatbelt is there another way? Also where do you put your babyseat? Left right or middle?

You should use the Latch system. The TSX has a nice one and all new seats have it.

I put my son on the right because it's easy to see him with a baby rearview mirror. I think putting the seat in the middle makes the left and right seat useless for two adults. At least you can get one in the back. He can see the I-VES DVD fine.

Also, Ricecake is going to be pissed that you said you are only asking the dads...
Old 12-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Drifting

Here are some child seat related threads:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=child+seat

Also, Ricecake is going to be pissed that you said you are only asking the dads...
I get used to the existing presumptions after a while...
Old 12-08-2004, 10:42 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by wsklar
You should use the Latch system. The TSX has a nice one and all new seats have it.

I put my son on the right because it's easy to see him with a baby rearview mirror. I think putting the seat in the middle makes the left and right seat useless for two adults. At least you can get one in the back. He can see the I-VES DVD fine.

Putting the baby seat in the middle also requires more bending and reaching which may not be good for your back. However, putting it in the middle is a good may to seperate your baby's other 2 siblings if they fight a lot.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by johnzeiger
Putting the baby seat in the middle also requires more bending and reaching which may not be good for your back. However, putting it in the middle is a good may to seperate your baby's other 2 siblings if they fight a lot.
Hmmm...3 kids in the back of a TSX I'm thinking something bigger at that point (SUV or station wagon).
Old 12-08-2004, 10:51 AM
such a dirty birdy

Originally Posted by wsklar
Hmmm...3 kids in the back of a TSX I'm thinking something bigger at that point (SUV or station wagon).
I'd also be thinking about birth control.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by majormojo
Old 12-08-2004, 11:29 AM
cmf
ATCer

Isn't the middle of the rear seat supposed to be the first place you put a car seat? Thought I read that somewhere from some safety stats.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:38 AM
such a dirty birdy

No, you want your child seats behind the front seats. If you're in an accident and there is some kind of failure of the child seat and the child becomes a projectile, the back of the front seat is a better target than the front windshield.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
No, you want your child seats behind the front seats. If you're in an accident and there is some kind of failure of the child seat and the child becomes a projectile, the back of the front seat is a better target than the front windshield.
Any time a kid becomes a projectile, I want to see it on film.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ricecake
thanks Rice and my bad. Dads and MOMs
Old 12-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vger105
If you routinely drive with children in the back seat of your TSX, you might be interested in something we just bought. It's a gizmo to hold your DVD player on the back of the front seat, or between the two front seats (if you have two children).
Essentially it's like a zippered portfolio case that holds the DVD ,and uses straps to hang it from the headrest post. It also includes two headphones, a 'Y' adapter so the two headphones can be used together, and an inverter into which the AC plug from the DVD player is plugged (no batteries).
We found it at Best Buy and it cost $84, worth every penny in our estimation.
The downside? I have to hear The Wiggles a LOT more than I'd like to!
This sounds pretty cool, but I'm wondering what kind of DVD player you're talking about here. Laptop computer? Or one of those miniature portable players that cost around $200?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:28 PM
4th Gear

The permanent birth control is taken care and our other car is an MDX.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Banned

I am looking for a DVD unit for the back passengers...as i'll keep my kid quiet..but right now he's only 15 months so it wont do any good.

Was thinking of those overhead headliner systems that u install right behind the sunroof...those ones that u hang on the back saves space and u can easily remove it...but the person thats furthest away from the screen has a hard time 2 watch it

Also for strapping the baby seat in, i usually place it behind the passenger seat...easier for me 2 keep an eye on him as i just look over. Both the seatbelt and latching system is good..but i usually use the easy-latching system.....it seems to holds the seat in better.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Everyday Joe

Originally Posted by cmf
Isn't the middle of the rear seat supposed to be the first place you put a car seat? Thought I read that somewhere from some safety stats.
It may depend on the kind of car seat...I know that my fire station installed mine and two different installers (went different days to get the seat installed in the TSX & our Pathfinder) both said that the safest seat is in the middle(for a rear facing seat). It may be different for a forward facing seat
So, my precious little girl rides in the middle. As for space....it definitely makes it difficult to get two people on either side of the car seat, but it is doable. My car is more of a commuter car so it's usually just Riley and me riding together
Old 12-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LeMasseHammer
This sounds pretty cool, but I'm wondering what kind of DVD player you're talking about here. Laptop computer? Or one of those miniature portable players that cost around $200?

We have an Audiovox mini DVD player. They're going for about $200 now and have a pretty decent picture.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcdawg
I am looking for a DVD unit for the back passengers...as i'll keep my kid quiet..but right now he's only 15 months so it wont do any good.

Was thinking of those overhead headliner systems that u install right behind the sunroof...those ones that u hang on the back saves space and u can easily remove it...but the person thats furthest away from the screen has a hard time 2 watch it

Also for strapping the baby seat in, i usually place it behind the passenger seat...easier for me 2 keep an eye on him as i just look over. Both the seatbelt and latching system is good..but i usually use the easy-latching system.....it seems to holds the seat in better.

Regarding your 15 month old; our one year old son loves to watch a Wiggles DVD in the car. Give it a try- you might be pleasantly surprised.
Regarding seat placement; I thought I recall reading the middle was the safest. It offers the most protection from side impacts.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Banned

Hmmm....thats true... i havent thought about the side air bag that can pop out.....Perhaps i'll switch the seat into the middle then..

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Pics of your DVD player and holder!