Keyless entry remote

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004 | 03:27 PM
Pro

Keyless entry remote

What's the range on the keyless entry fob? If I remeber correctly, my salesman told me it's 50 ft. It doesn't usually work unless I'm like 20-25 ft away. Do I need the battery replaced? (It's only 3 weeks old!)

Thanks
Old 05-20-2004 | 03:40 PM
6MT Snob

25 feet is pretty good.. if you are having problems use the chin trick..

(hold it up to your chin and hit the button it works wonders)
Old 05-20-2004 | 08:26 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by gfxdave99
25 feet is pretty good.. if you are having problems use the chin trick...(hold it up to your chin and hit the button it works wonders)
As crazy as this sounds, it actually works...I have no idea why!

It's too funny!
Old 05-20-2004 | 08:26 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by gfxdave99
25 feet is pretty good.. if you are having problems use the chin trick...(hold it up to your chin and hit the button it works wonders)

It's too funny!
Old 05-20-2004 | 08:46 PM
I'm allergic to bull

Chin trick lol

now I know how Michael Schumacher drives
Old 05-20-2004 | 10:38 PM
6MT Snob

Originally posted by gomez_regina

It's too funny!
I think it uses your head as an antenna...

here i found the answer..

http://www.newscientist.com/lastword...e.jsp?id=lw962

Question
My son-in-law discovered a strange property of the remote control that switches his car alarm on and off. By pressing it firmly to his chin, he can increase considerably the range at which it works. Not believing him, we experimented with other chins. It works, and in some cases the range is doubled depending on the type of car alarm. How does this effect occur?

Mike Welch , Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland

Answer
Your son's car remote control has a miniature radio transmitter that is built into the key ring and which sends a coded message to a receiver in the car. You don't have to point the device directly at the receiver in the car, but it will help to increase the range if you press the remote control against your body. In fact, any part of the body will do, not just your chin. Arms and legs work too. And you can have endless fun pointing your bum at your car while pressing the key ring against your buttocks.

The range over which the remote control operates nearly doubles when you involve your body because your body picks up the radio signal and acts like a large aerial, transmitting it more effectively to the car.

The key and the body act like the two plates of a capacitor separated by an electrical insulator. When an electric charge flows into or out of one of the plates, the electrostatic effect drives a similar charge into or out of the other. Although no charge actually crosses the insulator, a current appears to flow for a while until the capacitor is fully charged. Applying a varying current to one plate means that the capacitor never gets fully charged and a current appears to flow indefinitely through the second plate.

This phenomenon, which is called capacitive coupling, works best with rapidly varying currents, which is exactly what the radio transmitter in the key ring produces.

Because it operates at a frequency of 433 megahertz, the current from the key can cross the insulating barriers of your clothing and skin to reach the conducting interior of your body. Your body then acts as a giant aerial when you press your remote control against it
Old 05-20-2004 | 11:03 PM

always wondered why, good info!