just test drove the rx-8, and wrx

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just test drove the rx-8, and wrx

I wasn't able to make it over to Mitsubishi to get in the Evo, and the Subaru dealer didn't have any STi's on the lot. Here is the breakdown of the test drives...

The RX-8 has some cool features: short shifting 6 spd manual and the suicide doors. I like the short shifting, but I have to say the shifting is nowhere close to the TSX's smoothness. The suicide doors were pretty badass, making it easier to climb in the backseats. The interior was decent, nice two tone leather (black/red), nice dash colors (everything had the black/red theme). But the interior also had a lot of cheap plastic used. The clutch was also super soft, softer than the TSX, way softer (was really hard to get accustomed to). I favorite thing about the RX-8 had to be the sound of that engine, its unlike any other car I have ever heard. Granted its the rotary engine, it already sounds like the engine has been suped up. Overall the RX-8 wasn't that great, especially when they said they would take a trade in of my TSX and that I would still have to pay $7000 + license fees to get a RX-8. What a joke!

My next stop was the Subaru dealer. I heard it was pretty tough to find a dealer to let you test drive the STi but I went and gave it a try anyway. No STi model on the lot, so we took the WRX out for a spin. I have to say, before the new headlights, this car didn't appeal to me at all. The interior is trash, sorry but after driving the TSX for a few months, the WRX's interior seems Civic like. Cheap plastic everywhere (maybe for weight purposes), not good value in my opinion. Onto the test drive, this was where I expected to be blown away. Really stiff clutch, total opposite from the RX-8, which is better for a car like this. This car has some power, but even after redlining, it didn't blow me away. There was turbo lag, and I noticed a lot of the power in the 4000 rpm's. The handling was nice, the dealer let me take it on the freeway so that was nice. Overall this car felt like a Civic or Corolla with a turbo in it. I wish the STi was available, now that would have been nice.

Just wanted to share my personal experience, feel free to chime in.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:57 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Why the test drives, in the market to get rid of your TSX?
Old 11-18-2003, 04:46 AM
Intermediate

Nah, just bored and in San Luis Obispo, there ain't much to do outside of getting drunk at some bar. And for the record, I still love my TSX, actually I appreciate it even more after test driving those vehicles.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:30 AM
Racer

I feel the same gay about the WRX and the EVO interior and details of the car.

put a Turbo kit on the TXS and you would have beatiful lexury car ... FAST
Old 11-18-2003, 10:40 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by Delmiroc
I feel the same gay about the WRX and the EVO interior and details of the car.

put a Turbo kit on the TXS and you would have beatiful lexury car ... FAST

Feeling gay are ya ?
Old 11-18-2003, 01:20 PM
Racer

Originally posted by domn
Feeling gay are ya ?

hahahah LOL

sorry about that I meant WAY
Old 11-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Don't listen to me.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also test drove a RX8. Just before I bought my TSX. I thought that it was a tight fit in the back seat(Mustang like). Yeah, the suiside doors are cool and the car goes really fast and handles well. But Over all I thought it didn't compare well with the TSX.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by ortiz
I also test drove a RX8. Just before I bought my TSX. I thought that it was a tight fit in the back seat(Mustang like). Yeah, the suiside doors are cool and the car goes really fast and handles well. But Over all I thought it didn't compare well with the TSX.
I think my favorite part of the RX-8 was just the engine sound. Its unlike anything I have ever heard, sounded like the engine was built up already or something.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Automobile Aficionado

i drove all those cars awhile back and even got to drive the STI....you dont know what performance is untill you get a chance to drive the STI....awesome!
Agree on you with the RX-8