Just got my TSX -- high mileage for a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 12:36 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my TSX -- high mileage for a new car?

It had 67 mi. on the odometer when I got it. Is this normal because I was hoping it would only have 3 or 4 mi. on it when I took delivery. The sales guy told me they had to drive it from point A to destination B where I ordered it from. What really concerns me is HOW do I know HOW it was driven or in what manner. If the transporter was not a conservative driver I have cause for concern . It worries me a bit because my son is a transprter for HERTZ in the NYC area and the stories he tells me of how a lot of his fellow tranporters drive these rental cars to their destinations is quite concerning. ex: 100+ mph driving, stereos full blast, tires screeching around turns, etc. Is there any cause for concern or am I just worrying about nothing? It's the NEW CAR break in period and the more conservative driving that it requires that concerns me about having it driven by an individual that may not care about someone else's new car. Well, I hope it was driven easy during its maiden voyage
anyway. Wish I'd know in advance that it was going to be driven the 60+ mi. thatn it was because it wouldn't of been an inconvenience for me to go and pick it up myself.

Thanks, Harry
(noob)
Old 09-01-2003, 01:07 AM
Burning Brakes

I've bought three Hondas new. Their mileages were generally 8-12 miles when I picked them up.

When the car's been from another dealer, you never know where it's been or how they transported it. It could have been demo'd or driven from dealer to dealer.

Still, I wouldn't worry at all about 67 miles. You'll never know who, what, how, or why all of those 67 miles got there. Now it's time to enjoy!

Congratulations on your new car!!!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dealers in my area hire a retired old fart to drive the cars from dealer to dealer. I almost bought a demo with 1000 miles on it, course it helped that half were put on by me. I wouldn't be too concerned being it's a Honda and there bulletproof.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:43 AM
Racer

my car had 66? miles on it when I picked it up. I know it was abused on some test-drives but I'm just not going to worry about it. I think down the road the 66 miles won't really matter.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Naptown reporting....

I had that same dilemna when I first went to my local dealers. They told me they were going to send a guy to pick it up and gave me an acceptable window as far as mileage goes on the car...about 400 miles. I was having a hard time finding the car I wanted (see below), but I held off.

I just thought they put the cars on a flatbed for dealer trades, but I guess they try to save money or something, but I didn't want all that mileage on a new car and decided to wait. They said the guy was pretty good with the cars, but you never know.

Good thing I waited because I contacted some dealers in Chicago and I was able to find the exact car I wanted with only 10 miles on it. Sweet deal.

That's something you'll have to decide on whether getting the exact car you want with the mileage on it is better or waiting for one that just came off the flatbed. It's not that much mileage, but to me it is, putting down $30k.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Instructor

My car had 11kms (6mi) on it when I picked it up. 67miles is a heck of a lot...was it a demo?
Old 09-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, your car sounds like a demo. My car had 7 miles on it when I bought it. After the fog lights were installed, it had 16...I suspect the shop took my car for a test spin a few times around the block
Old 09-01-2003, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Mine had 4 when I picked it up. Foglights too
Old 09-01-2003, 07:03 PM
5th Gear

As far as I know it wasn't a demo. I was told that it was driven from a dealer in conneticut to my dealer in new jersey and the mileage corresponds with the distance b'tween these 2 dealers and it appears it is all highway driving. HOPE it wsn't a demo and that indeed those miles were from a relatively short highway drive.

Thanks for the feedback, Harry
PS: To come to think of it I'm probably worrying about nothing. The odds that the car I ordered with and without certain features and colors and them having the same exact car for use as a demo would have to be slim to none.

I do really like this car though
Old 09-01-2003, 07:08 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Originally posted by silvertsx
As far as I know it wasn't a demo. I was told that it was driven from a dealer in conneticut to my dealer in new jersey and the mileage corresponds with the distance b'tween these 2 dealers and it appears it is all highway driving. HOPE it wsn't a demo and that indeed those miles were from a relatively short highway drive.

Thanks for the feedback, Harry
Thats some BS. New cars are not driven from dealer dealer, they're trasported by trucks
Old 09-01-2003, 07:46 PM
Racer

Originally posted by CraZydudE
Thats some BS. New cars are not driven from dealer dealer, they're trasported by trucks

No, that's not always true. It really depends on how much the dealer is willing to spend/how many miles the other dealer is away.