IS300 vs TSX...AFTER my extensive test drives...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
Thank you for the reply and the others that posted their experiences with both cars its greatly appreciated

I find it very surprising that problems with the TSX were mentioned. I would suspect a few rattles but as far as problems go I would suspect the TSX would be virtually problem free in *most* cases.

If you search on this and other TSX forums, you will see that rattles are a big problem. Acura has fixed some of them on the newer versions. I don't have any idea how the 06 performs in this area. Many of the 6sp manuals have a clutch problem that makes a clicking sound when depressing and releasing it - Acura apparently has a fix for this which is why the clutch master cylinder etc. were replaced on my TSX. The clicking sound is back as of last week - not as bad as before, so I suspect that this is the interlock switch making noise. I have decided to ignore it for now as it does not have any impact on the functionality. No complaints at all with anything mechanical or electrical. So far, the only problems I've had are annoyances that shouldn't be seen on any new car, Acura or not.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Banned

The IS300 is in my opinion by far the best looking car on the outside. It is simply great in the looks department.....

TSX/IS300
Exterior Design 7.0/9.5

I've had a crappy day today (dental procedure) so allow me:
IS300 look is so-so and looks like the old Jetta
so 1sicklex sent you out on a trolling mission ?
Old 02-15-2006, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by huckleberry

I've had a crappy day today (dental procedure) so allow me:
IS300 look is so-so and looks like the old Jetta
so 1sicklex sent you out on a trolling mission ?
:lol:

I love it, on most of the car boards I posted this on I'm trolling...

I post it on cz28.com because I've been a member there for 6 years and I get a PM telling me to take my ricer trolling bullshit elsewhere...

I post it on my.is where I've been a member for only a couple months and they're made saying I should just go buy a TSX if I like it that much...

I post on Honda-Acura.net and they pretty much didn't say a whole lot...

I join and post here because it looks like a good TSX community and I'm trolling again, but this time for the IS community

Holy fuck people why can't someone post an opinion without being labled a troll? I dont get it at all...

I like cars, I have MT and C&D going back to 1992, I was 6 years old when I got my first car magazine subscription, I had my dad read most of the articles too me at that age. I love cars, I drove the acura expecting it to be a flop, I loved the car, so I find an acura board and I'm being accused of trolling. Please tell me what I'm doing thats "Trolling"
Old 02-15-2006, 08:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by myblacktsx
If you search on this and other TSX forums, you will see that rattles are a big problem. Acura has fixed some of them on the newer versions. I don't have any idea how the 06 performs in this area. Many of the 6sp manuals have a clutch problem that makes a clicking sound when depressing and releasing it - Acura apparently has a fix for this which is why the clutch master cylinder etc. were replaced on my TSX. The clicking sound is back as of last week - not as bad as before, so I suspect that this is the interlock switch making noise. I have decided to ignore it for now as it does not have any impact on the functionality. No complaints at all with anything mechanical or electrical. So far, the only problems I've had are annoyances that shouldn't be seen on any new car, Acura or not.
Am I going to run into some significant reliability concerns with a TSX? The whole reason I'm avoiding a BMW (my favorite sport sedan) is because of high maintenance costs. However, if I'm going to run into that with Acura I midaswell look at BMW and Lexus...make sense?
Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Am I going to run into some significant reliability concerns with a TSX? The whole reason I'm avoiding a BMW (my favorite sport sedan) is because of high maintenance costs. However, if I'm going to run into that with Acura I midaswell look at BMW and Lexus...make sense?
No, there are no reliability problems. Every make and model of car will have a handful of bad apples, but, looking at the big picture, Acura will be much more reliable than the European brands.

The TSX, despite some of these complaints of rattling, has not had any serious mechanical issues that have happened to more than a handful of people. There are no widespread mechanical or electrical issues that affect large numbers of owners.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
No, there are no reliability problems. Every make and model of car will have a handful of bad apples, but, looking at the big picture, Acura will be much more reliable than the European brands.

The TSX, despite some of these complaints of rattling, has not had any serious mechanical issues that have happened to more than a handful of people. There are no widespread mechanical or electrical issues that affect large numbers of owners.
Good thats what I've been reading. I feel the TSX maybe more conducive to my type of driving which is keeping the rev's up. The downside with a lot of cars is you run into mechanical problems when you do this. With honda however, they seem to love rev's without issue. I feel like I could drive a TSX hard and have fun while still being a very reliable car and getting 18 to 20 mpg in the city.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Banned

ok which one of you deleted my bloody post ? :silvermad
Old 02-15-2006, 12:10 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by huckleberry
ok which one of you deleted my bloody post ? :silvermad

Doesn't matter. He's clearly not a troll. And I hope you were kidding.

I'll be deleted both these posts shortly.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Advanced

I don't think you will have any significant reliablity concerns - at least nothing comparable to some of the european makes. I think Acura is significantly more reliable than most of the european makes. I wanted to get a BMW, but have friends with serious problems with their BMWs and therefore went for the TSX. But, in all honestly in the "fun to drive" category, I feel that the BMWs are hard to beat! However, I have not driven any of the newer 3-series BMWs recently to really compare.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by myblacktsx
I don't think you will have any significant reliablity concerns - at least nothing comparable to some of the european makes. I think Acura is significantly more reliable than most of the european makes. I wanted to get a BMW, but have friends with serious problems with their BMWs and therefore went for the TSX. But, in all honestly in the "fun to drive" category, I feel that the BMWs are hard to beat! However, I have not driven any of the newer 3-series BMWs recently to really compare.
I totally agree BMW's driving experience is second to none, but at this stage in my life I can think of better things to spend my money on, like paying off my house instead of driving an expensive to maintain sport sedan.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:43 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i used to have a 2001 non navi is 300 so ill list a couple of thing i liked better than the tsx..
-pedals
-engine
-exhaust sounded deaper
-braking was a lot better
-handling
-rear wheel drive
-very quiet interior
-one touch open/close sun roof and location of button
-less body roll
-already comes with fog lights
-sportier and feels smoother
-mpg gauge
-more power in 2nd

now i own a tsx. ill list what i like better about the 2005 non navi tsx..
-led gauges
-dual electronic climate control
-xm sat radio
-seats
-steering wheel
-body
-front projector hid's
-rear lights
-arm rest
-lots of compartments
-white lcd on radio and climate control
-blue ambient lighting
-louder and better sounding audio components
-looks classier and feels more luxurious
-you can electronically shift from 1st to 5th
Old 02-15-2006, 04:53 PM
CarbonGreyPearlEbony

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i used to have a 2001 non navi is 300 so ill list a couple of thing i liked better than the tsx..
-pedals
-engine
-exhaust sounded deaper
-handling
-rear wheel drive
-very quiet interior
-less body roll
-mpg gauge
-more power in 2nd

-led gauges
-xm sat radio
-seats
-steering wheel
-body
-front projector hid's
-rear lights
-arm rest
-lots of compartments
-blue ambient lighting

both cars are automatic non navi

i like both cars but i like my tsx better just wish the exhaust sounded more like the IS and engine idled quieter thats all
Old 02-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Cruisin'

Two big reasons I got rid of the IS:

1) Astronomical insurance costs. (Was rated most expensive car under $50k to insure... almost $100 more a month than my TSX)
2) Astronomical maintenance and repair costs. (Have to change the diff fluid ever 15k miles on the ones with a limited slip... 60k service is ~1300 if performed by a dealer... haven't heard of many people making it over 70k miles on the original clutch.)
Old 02-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by TSX420J
-pedals
-engine
-exhaust sounded deaper
-handling
-rear wheel drive
-very quiet interior
-less body roll
-mpg gauge
-more power in 2nd

-led gauges
-xm sat radio
-seats
-steering wheel
-body
-front projector hid's
-rear lights
-arm rest
-lots of compartments
-blue ambient lighting

i like both cars but i like my tsx better just wish the exhaust sounded more like the IS and engine idled quieter thats all
You think the TSX doesn't idle quietly? Jesus, half the time I can barely tell it's running. I'm getting a CAI in part so I can hear the motor.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TSX420J
-pedals
-engine
-exhaust sounded deaper
-handling
-rear wheel drive
-very quiet interior
-less body roll
-mpg gauge
-more power in 2nd

-led gauges
-xm sat radio
-seats
-steering wheel
-body
-front projector hid's
-rear lights
-arm rest
-lots of compartments
-blue ambient lighting

So if you were in my shoes which would you get?

I think some of your opinions would be different if you had owned manual transmissions simply based on the fact that the TSX puts significantly more power to the ground with the manual.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:01 AM
I can't find my garage

which is faster, IS250 MT or '06 TSX MT?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:15 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Exterior Design 7.0/9.5
I'd score this one 9.0/6.0 I'm probably not even being subjective, but the TSX design blows away the is300... now the new is250 and 350 is looking very sexy.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:37 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by mltk53
which is faster, IS250 MT or '06 TSX MT?

I think the IS will be slightly quicker, and according to Car and Driver the IS250.

Zero to 60 mph: 7.1 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 19.1 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 41.3 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 8.4 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 15.4 sec @ 90 mph
Top speed (drag limited, mfr’s est): 142 mph

It doesn't mean much but TSX mag times are usually slighly higher. In all likelyhood a driver's race. Until we see them tested head to head we won't know for sure.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:30 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's not fair to compare these 2 cars as they were not introduce in the same year, technology changes so as the Interior/Exterior design. The IS300 tail-lights were so HOT when they introduced back in the dayz, not until all Civic has it and rice it up. I think it doesn't matter if one car is I-6 and the TSX is a I-4, takes whoever serve you better. Basically, in terms of Quality, I think none of the Jap Auto can get anywhere close to (Toyota) Lexus. In terms of Performance/Engine, (Nissan) Infinity does a very good job on their VQ engine. But again, they have the worst interior design/quality/rattling problems. Acura seems to settle in b/w Lexus and Infinity. But at the end, it's down to personal preference and your choice.