iPhone/Handsfree Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:14 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone/Handsfree Question

I currently have the LG Chocolate connected to my Handsfree Link. I've actually had two, and both phones have had their batteries absolutely squashed because of the Handsfree/Bluetooth connection. Now I'm lucky to keep a charge for one whole day.

My question is this -- does the Handsfree deplete the battery longevity of the iPhone, too? Paying $75 for a battery replacement after already spending $600 on the phone is harsh. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Car Nut

I think it depends on the battery. I wouldnt necessarily say that your battery issue is a result of the HFL/Bluetooth. Absolutely, the Bluetooth connection uses a lot of the battery, which means you need to charge it more often. Do you charge your phone every time you are in the car? You proobably shouldn't.
The other thing is that the the number of charge cycles for the battery depends on the battery time. I don't know about the LG Chocolate, but I suspect it is a NiMH or Lithium Ion battery which are supposed to support more charging cycles.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its waaaaay too early in the lifespan of the device to ask that kind of question. I got one on release day so I'll see how that works. I don't anticipate any negative effects.

Its also interesting to note that the iPhone battery is only rated for 600 deep cycle charges I believe, which does seem on the short side. Seems they are only planning on a 2 year lifespan for these Gen1 devices. But that's neither here nor there. Lets keep this back on TSX topics please.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Advanced

using the HFL will not effect the charge cycles. Usually short cycled batteries are from not allowing the battery to fully discharge the first few cycles. I would recommend that you fully charge the iPhone, then run it completely down the first few times, then you should see the performance sustain itself.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:36 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=Nmbur10]I currently have the LG Chocolate connected to my Handsfree Link. I've actually had two, and both phones have had their batteries absolutely squashed because of the Handsfree/Bluetooth connection. Now I'm lucky to keep a charge for one whole day.

My question is this -- does the Handsfree deplete the battery longevity of the iPhone, too? Paying $75 for a battery replacement after already spending $600 on the phone is harsh. Thanks for your help![/QUOTE

My iPhone does not seem to lose battery life any faster when I use handsfree.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Poser / Fanboi

As a user of phone bluetooth I would say that you use the iPhone in the same way you used your LG you'll see lower battery times. The cell phone has (at least) two antennas - one for cell and the other for bluetooth - so if you keep both on you'll drain the batter faster. It's an annoyance to do on my phone (Samsung A930) but I always turn off the bluetooth when it's not in use - otherwise my battery life is cut at least in half and sometimes even more (when it's used a lot w/HFL).

I would expect that the iPhone has three antennas - cell, WiFi, bluetooth - but I don't own one so you tell me. I know that if I turn off the WiFi and bluetooth antennas on my laptop my battery life is SUBSTANTIALLY longer... If you're not using it, turn it off, and you'll charge less & your device battery will last longer.
Originally Posted by Reach
Lets keep this back on TSX topics please.
Yeah in all honesty you may want to go to an Apple forum or a cell-phone forum, they will probably have better answers.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:07 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Nmbur10

My question is this -- does the Handsfree deplete the battery longevity of the iPhone, too? Paying $75 for a battery replacement after already spending $600 on the phone is harsh. Thanks for your help!

something must be wrong with your charger or youre just having horrible luck with phones.

i have been using my blackberry with the bluetooth in my car since i got it in 04/07... never had a battery issue. I got the iphone the day it came out... seems to be working fine however the people I talk to have noticeda louder static type noise than before coming from my end... it might be from the wi-fi on the iphone.

anyway... not sure but if you are using a car charger for the iphone, but that could be the cause of the battery issues... either that or maybe just the way/how much you use it.

i drive a lot and make a lot of calls (my frickin cell bill is ALWAYS $150-$200) but every night when i go to charge it at home im BARELY past the 1/2 mark on battery life.

if this has happend on more than 1 phone i'd take it into acura and ask them... maybe you have a short where your charger is plugged in and its draining it instead of charging it.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 AM
for EVER more!

the media was scaring people about iphone batteries because that's how the media gets people to watch it -- scared yet?

anywho, apple says the battery will last 500-1000 full charge cycles before losing just 20% of its total capacity. a full charge cycle is when you deplete to 0 then recharge to 100. i don't know many people that do this, i keep my phone plugged in at night after using 20-30% This is just .2 or .3 of ONE cycle. 5 of those (a normal week, is one full cycle). So now, do the math 500-1000 cycles, you only lose 20% (or an hour or so of talk time). i think in 2 or 3 years you might get to this point with heavy usage. By that point, if you've bought an iphone now, you'll want the iphone hologram edition that will be out at that point anyway.

my 2 cents