Integra GSR to TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Integra GSR to TSX

Earlier this year, we had a little baby girl. I think time has come to move on from my GSR coupe to something more family friendly. I first thought about the Fit, but after a test drive, I don't think I can go down almost 60HP. The space is nice, but I simply could not handle the anemic engine. Then I was looking through my old photos of the Lemans series (Touring Car) and came upon a pic of RealTime Acura's race cars (TSX's). So I thought, why not a TSX? I think it would be a great family car, yet still retain some sportiness of the Integra (200hp engine, great suspension).

Anybody here go from an Integra/Civic to the TSX? What's your thoughts? I'm currently looking for a 6MT. Local classifieds show them in the $16-19k range with 20-40k miles.

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't drive manual, so my experiences might be a little different, but essentially (there were a few months where I rotated between a Nissan Altima and a Honda Odyssey before I bought the TSX) I went from a 1999 Civic to a 2007 TSX.

The TSX is only slightly larger than the Civic- i.e., it may not be ideal for a family. But, if your current ride is an Integra GSR, I think it will be much more suitable for a family than that.

The move was a pretty natural one- when I test drove this particular TSX (and the 1 I drove before it that I passed on) it felt very natural, very familiar to me while different at the same time.

Essentially, if you enjoyed any smaller Honda product from the 1990s (Integra, Civic) you will enjoy the TSX.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like you are going from one Handling Champ to another.

But now with added luxury + technology.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:36 AM
Racer

I had a '95 Integra GSR that I recently, and reluctantly, sold to step up to a TSX. For the longest time, I've had the TSX and GSR but decided to sell the GSR since it was kinda pointless to have 2 cars. The GSR was fun since I had some mods and stuff that made it that much better. I loved the handling and the shifter of the GSR - despite the lack of power/torque, it was still a fun car to drive. The TSX also handles well if you do some suspension upgrades to it. I miss my GSR but the TSX is just so much more luxurious compared to the Integra. The thing that I most noticed between the 2 cars is that the TSX is so much more quieter than the GSR - it just had so much road noise.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Luke 1:37

I went from a Integra LS to a TSX and thought it was the perfect upgrade for me. As long as you are keeping it a manual, I think you will be happy.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the wife and I had kids,I went(in a 3yr span) from a 92 GS-R(owned for 7 years),to a 95 C36 AMG benz(5 months),to a 97 4-door LS(5months),to a 08 Si sedan(11 months),back to a 94 GS-R 4-door(less than a month),to my beloved 6-speed w/navi TSX(a little over a year now). The TSX is the closest vehicle I found to fit my bill of comfortable luxury,style, and fun. Granted it may not be as quick as my 92 GS-R or the 08 Si was,but I like it whole lot better. It kinda says,yeah I'm a dad,but I can still hang on track day.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Here are some quotes from Car and Driver in its reviews of the TSX, comparing it to the GS-R and even the Integra Type R...

"Its test numbers are about the same as those we chalked up for an Integra GS-R four-door in March 1997, even though the TSX has a 30-hp edge over the Integra. But test data don't necessarily tell the whole story, and this car is a case in point. Acura's small four-door fits like a custom-made driver's suit and delivers the precise shifting, athletic feel, and quick steering of a Euro sport such as the Audi A4. It's also smooth and quiet, with lots of luxo goodies baked into its attractive price."

"The TSX has a zesty eagerness about it, like the high-winding Acura Integra Type R of the later '90s. We can't stop grinning when we're in the cockpit. But there's much more here—this car tied with or topped all the others in 17 of the 22 rating categories. Call it accomplished, call it irresistible, call it the class of the less-than-30-large field."

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...erpoint_page_3
Old 08-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

I went from a 99' GSR to an Auto TSX, I would def. recommend getting the 6sp, that's my one regret
Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 PM
10th Gear

i'm about the same age as you...and i've been thinking the same exact thing! i've gotta gsr too and i love it to death. in fact, it's not working anymore, it's just sitting in my garage...waiting for a build...i've also been looking at the FIT, looks like it could carry a whole lot of groceries and all that crap, but the whole hp thing...that's exactly what turned me off to it. it didn't feel like it would be fun. i test drove a tsx and i thought it was pretty good. more luxurious than my teg, but i think i could get used to the upgrade. i don't have a tsx yet. i'm looking for one, i don't want an auto. i'm holding off for a 6mt, but they're pretty hard to come by around here and the pricing compared to the rest of the country sucks. feels like they're over priced up here in the northwest. well good luck in your search...grats/gl on the new family!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Cruisin'

Earlier this year I went from a 95 GSR to a 07 TSX. It has been quite a dramatic change for me. The GSR had a nicely modded motor and a ton of suspenion work, it was also a manual. Thanks to an a hole in a 300 who tried to do 80 in stop and go traffic I no longer have the car. It was a big change at fist to go to a 4 door automatic that is completely stock. To me they are two completly different cars. As much as I now enjoy the TSX it will never be the same as my GSR performance wise. But then again the TSX is still stock for the moment. I do definetly enjoy driving the car though, to me it is a better daily driver. It has a lot nicer fit and finish. And as I grow older the TSX seams a better fit. And it still has a lot of aftermarket parts available.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 AM
Burning Brakes

i have both, i enjoy driving the integra more because it has the driver's feel and gets better gas mileage, but the tsx is way more comfortable and refined.

tsx > integra in these departments
-highway cruising
-comfort
-amenities
-quietness
-way more spacious
-feels way safer, the chassis is much more solid
-much better torque
-HID headlights!!!!!! best i've ever seen
-stiff steering (i love this about it, i dislike soft ones)
-sound system

where integra > tsx
-raw driving feeling
-gas mileage, highway slightly higher. my tsx gets mid 30's, integra is upper 30's
-better handling but tsx is amazing if you add the 22mm
-fun factor
-fitting large things
-easier to park
-larger rear window view
Old 09-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I came from a 1991 Integra GS with some minor mods, and got into the 2004 6MT TSX in 2005. Best. Move. Ever. Not that the Integra was a bad car, because it wasn't... but the TSX is just SO much quieter, roomier (yes, I now have useable rear seats and a trunk!), more powerful, way, WAY more refined, and a real sleeper if you mod it right.

I now have 2 kids and its tight but definitely fine in the TSX. But my wife just got her 2007 Odyssey (to replace a very competent 2002 Mazda Protege5). Now the Ody... well... that's the penultimate family hauler!

I think with one kid and your brain wired for Honda's legendary reviness and reliability, you'll love the TSX for years to come. With two kids, relegate the minivan piloting to the wife and mod your TSX, still retaining the "hey if I wanted to, I could take the kids in my car" abilities.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Have you considered the Civic Si?
If you want more luxury the TSX is a fine choice, but from a performance point of view the Si is a natural progression.
Moving from my Prelude, I chose the Acura CSX Type S(same as the Si) and couldn't be happier
Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 PM
10th Gear

Here's another thought. Don't worry too much about the handling. When my daughter & first kid arrived, I learned that throwing the car around corners too spiritedly lead to barfing from the back seat.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
the TSX is by far one of the greatest cars ever made.. It's pretty much the perfect cross between luxury and sport. I love my 2004 TSX
Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Special-K

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never owned a GSR but my friend has a 1997 GSR 4 door.. I've driven his car a handfull of times and It doesnt compare to the TSX mod for mod. We pretty much have about the same mods from motor to suspension and my TSX is faster and handles better. So to me its a major upgrade regardless.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
funny.

i just sold my 05 TSX 6MT, and looking to get a used minivan. with whatever money is left over from the purchase of the minivan, i've been looking at 4 door GSRs.

from my POV, i think the 1st gen TSX was the last great honda. everything i see from all manufacturers are getting bigger and bigger (no fault to them due to environmental/safety requirements). but, i'm going back to where cars were more mechanical, low cowls, low dashes, low belt lines, less weight, and almost 360 view.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:12 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep both. I did.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tony4311
Keep both. I did.
That's what I'm talking about. I have a 2000 si that I bought for a play toy beater. I'm a dad too with two boys. In 09 I got the 09 Fit. I thought it was a practical choice at the time. It's a great car and roomy. But that guy inside me wanted more horsepower. I really wanted the 3rd gen TL but the TSX was just more affordable and one popped up at a dealer nearby. My Fit was soon traded for the 06 TSX. I kinda miss the room I had with the Fit, also the mpgs.
As for the EM1, it's getting a gsr engine next month and I'm keeping her. The milano red ones are getting rare.