Integra GS-R and TSX comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 11:17 PM
irq
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Integra GS-R and TSX comparison?

Hey, sorry to make so many posts in such a short amount of time, but I'm very interested in the TSX.

I've got a 1999 Integra GS-R right now that I'm quite happy with but I wouldn't mind an upgrade + 6 speeds and navigation system.

So here's my question: my GSR is rated at 170HP, the TSX is rated at 200HP. The TSX also weighs roughly 500 pounds more. My GS-R is a 5-speed and the TSX I want to get will be a 6-speed. How much, if any, of a power difference do you think I'll feel?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
On a ¼-mile race, it should be a driver's race, in theory. I'd say you'll love the gearing of the 6MT, and you'll much appreciate the torque, but the top end may be a little less exciting as your GSR. It all depends on what you're looking for.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:53 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
keep 'em both :P
Old 07-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Git er Done!!

I actually went from a 2001 Integra GSR to my TSX. I do like my TSX more, but just because its a lot more luxury and the bottom end torque is nice. But, I do miss the 2 doors, the go-cart like handling, the 8100rpm redline, and most of all the unlimited aftermarket parts availible for it. My TSX will never fill the spot of my Integra. My Teg was my first new car, it was like my baby
Old 07-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Advanced

If you intend to fix up a car, and race it out, I would go with an Integra. The parts are cheaper and easier to find. If you are into cosmetics, go with the TSX. There is a lot you can do to the TSX. Overall, if you are into speed, keep the GSR. If you are planning to sell the GSR, let me know, I am in the market for one. Thanks! You can e-mail me at turbolsvtec97@yahoo.com.

-C
Old 07-29-2004, 12:12 PM
irq
Advanced

I will most likely be selling the GSR and would love to sell it to someone from here. It's a '99, 81,500 miles, Kenwood MP3CD player, zero mods whatsoever except for a different shift knob (still have the original), and a set of Toyo Proxes T1-S tires (awesome) with not many miles on them. Car is mechnically perfect. Exterior is "good to great" and interior is great. But selling it will probably be a few months off.

I'm really looking forward to the navi system in the TSX and the other luxury features. I was pretty satisfied with the speed of the GS-R so I imagine I'll be with the TSX. From what I've read, they're pretty close, just with power in different areas. More torque in the TSX will be appreciated too. I don't really plan on racing or modifying either car (a sin, I know).
Old 07-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Man I miss my GS-R ! Best car I ever owned. But I needed 4 doors and a place to put a baby seat.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

Mine was stolen...I am looking to get a TSX later this year to fill the void. The TSX has some big shoes to fill
Old 07-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

I've had a GSR and a Type R before my current car.. it's been odd not having my ears ringing after getting out of driving my wife's TSX
Old 07-30-2004, 12:24 AM
TL Asian GAL!!!

Originally Posted by irq
Hey, sorry to make so many posts in such a short amount of time, but I'm very interested in the TSX.

I've got a 1999 Integra GS-R right now that I'm quite happy with but I wouldn't mind an upgrade + 6 speeds and navigation system.

So here's my question: my GSR is rated at 170HP, the TSX is rated at 200HP. The TSX also weighs roughly 500 pounds more. My GS-R is a 5-speed and the TSX I want to get will be a 6-speed. How much, if any, of a power difference do you think I'll feel?

I traded my TYPE R and it is a big difference in terms of handling. The TSX is more luxery but I find the Type R alot more fun to drive. That is my 2cents!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:44 AM
irq
Advanced

Thanks for the comparison, but I don't have a Type R, I have a GS-R, and there are big differences between them, most prominently in handling, so a TSX to Type R comparison doesn't help me much.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:48 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Some may disagree but I still think a GS-R will be quicker than a 6 Sp TSX, but not by much. But they are completely different vehicles that really can't be compared. But if speed is your concern your really not losing much going to a TSX.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:23 AM
10th Gear

I had a 98 GS-R with no mods before I got my TSX last week. While I miss the handling of the GS-R and bouncing off the 8300 RPMs fuel cut off point, I don't miss the small and loud interior. In terms of acceleration and power, I feel as if the TSX has more usable power. For example, it seems to me that passing on the highway is muh easier with the TSX.

Handling is obviously better in the GS-R but I don't think its a huge difference. It takes a little bit longer for the suspesion on the TSX to "plant" in turns but once it does it goes through the corners quite well.

Overall, I am happy with the move to the TSX. What you lose in handling is more than offset by the gains in luxury and overall all feel of the car.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:39 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by domn
Some may disagree but I still think a GS-R will be quicker than a 6 Sp TSX, but not by much.
I have to agree with domn on this.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:11 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by shakfu3
I had a 98 GS-R with no mods before I got my TSX last week. While I miss the handling of the GS-R and bouncing off the 8300 RPMs fuel cut off point, I don't miss the small and loud interior. In terms of acceleration and power, I feel as if the TSX has more usable power. For example, it seems to me that passing on the highway is muh easier with the TSX.

Handling is obviously better in the GS-R but I don't think its a huge difference. It takes a little bit longer for the suspesion on the TSX to "plant" in turns but once it does it goes through the corners quite well.

Overall, I am happy with the move to the TSX. What you lose in handling is more than offset by the gains in luxury and overall all feel of the car.
I just replaced a 98 GS-R sedan with a 6MT. I would not agree that the GS-R handling is obviously better than the TSX. I feel much more confident throwing the TSX into a hard turn than I did the GS-R. The GS-R seemed to be more responsive in accelerating at some speeds, possibly because of the throttle linkage, but if it was faster it wasn't by much.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:52 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Marylandguy
I just replaced a 98 GS-R sedan with a 6MT. I would not agree that the GS-R handling is obviously better than the TSX. I feel much more confident throwing the TSX into a hard turn than I did the GS-R. The GS-R seemed to be more responsive in accelerating at some speeds, possibly because of the throttle linkage, but if it was faster it wasn't by much.
In re-reading my post I think my use of the word "obviously" was a bit strong. Though I am curious to know if the fact that you had a GS-R Sedan vs me owning a GS-R coupe would result in our different perspectives.

Whatever the case may be, the two cars are quite similar and any performance difference is minimial.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by domn
Some may disagree but I still think a GS-R will be quicker than a 6 Sp TSX, but not by much. But they are completely different vehicles that really can't be compared. But if speed is your concern your really not losing much going to a TSX.
We'll see about that.

That car is definitely on my shopping list to get owned.