Impressions of the TSX while highway/expressway driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressions of the TSX while highway/expressway driving?

I have yet to drive the TSX on busy highway/expressway driving yet, but I'm going on a roadtrip to visit my cousin probably this weekend: Had a few questions,

1. How do you guys feel when driving the TSX around huge semis, suvs, and 18 wheeler trucks on the highway/expressway? I know its not too small of a car, but smaller than the US Accord and TL, Do you feel safe?
2. Is the wind noise really pronounced when on the TSX is on the expressway?
3. How is the passing power of the TSX? Is there the situation why you guys said the TSX needs more torque maybe
4. What mph speed do you guys travel on the expressway for best fuel efficiency based on your experiences?

If a repost I apologize.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:53 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I have yet to drive the TSX on busy highway/expressway driving yet, but I'm going on a roadtrip to visit my cousin probably this weekend: Had a few questions,

1. How do you guys feel when driving the TSX around huge semis, suvs, and 18 wheeler trucks on the highway/expressway? I know its not too small of a car, but smaller than the US Accord and TL, Do you feel safe?
3. How is the passing power of the TSX? Is there the situation why you guys said the TSX needs more torque maybe
4. What mph speed do you guys travel on the expressway for best fuel efficiency based on your experiences?

If a repost I apologize.

1/ nothing is safe around those things.
2/ tsx is a bit noisey on the highway (for its class). I its road/tire noise is a bigger problem than wind noise though.
3/ in the 6mt, passing power is great. dont even have to downshift.
4/ 55 should be about best. basically keep yoru revs as low as you can. and try to stay at a steady speed (dont brake or accel unless u absolutely must)
Old 06-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the TSX really shows its true colors once you're on the highway. It doesn't feel all that quick around town but the passing power is great on the highway.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Battousai the Manslayer

Love it...feels very nimble and responsive...
Old 06-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Banned

If a repost I apologize.
1. i feel like i own the road in this thing- but my last car was an integra hatchback and before that a del sol
2. there is no wind/tire/any noice whatsoever...its hard to hear sirens with the windows up
3. plenty of passing power, even in 6th!...tq is a big jump from teg though
4. i just go with the flow of the left lane, unless i'm in a rush..i'm not a fuel-effiecency conscious person lol
Old 06-07-2004, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I love the TSX on the freeway! It's very stable and the wind noise is very well-controlled. There is plenty of passing power, especially at higher revs. The gas consumption is probably at its best between 55-60 mph. However, it's so quiet and smooth that you can easily go beyond 60 mph and hardly realize it.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:43 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If a repost I apologize.
Well...you've probably been on these roads before... I've travelled to Chicago from Rockford (90) and Rockford to Aurora (39-88)
I love it on the highway... Everyone whose ridden in my car says its pretty quiet. I'd have to say I feel pretty safe in the TSX around trucks...but a truck is a truck...pass them as quick as possible.
I've got no problems with passing power...if I need more power, I'll just go to SS mode and downshift to fourth.
On the hwy...going with the flow of traffic is around 10/15 over... I get around 27mpg every time I travel on the highway...it includes mashing on the gas trying to merge back from paying a toll...
Old 06-08-2004, 12:23 AM
any excuse to drive

Highway speeds are the best! I'm love the feel of quick lane changes in my TSX. Merging on the interstate is one of the most dangerous things you do while driving. With this car it's become my favorite thing to do
Old 06-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts

If a repost I apologize.
1. Yup couldn't be safer. Try driving inches away from an Armco barrier. That's scary.
2. Nope. Not unless you've got the moonroof or the windows open (duh!!).
3. Surprisingly good. I don't do too much acceleration to pass on the freeways, but when I do, the TSX feels pretty good. The K24 is surprisingly flexible once you're already moving.
4. I usually get on the freeway and set the cruise control between 70-72 mph. Returns pretty good fuel economy.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:38 AM
Got Milk???

If a repost I apologize.

1. I try to pass them asap, dont like to stay near them because they kick off stones and chips my paint, so you can say my ride is in danger near those big trucks.
2. like what fdl said, tsx is aerodynamically slippery so there isnt much windnoise at all, but the noise from the wheels is very noticeable. try running ur car on asphault then on concrete and you'll be able to tell how it is really quiet on asphault then noisy from the wheels on concrete.
3. I've got the automatic, passing power is extremely good once you've built up speed, so if you got manual tran, it'd even give you more power. What some of us mean by the car needs more torque is starting out from a fullstop the car is a bit slow (tsx isnt exactly light in weight), but once it builds speed, passing power is impressive.
4. I've read couple of posts up here and most people would agree that 55mph-60mph will get u the best gas mileage. And that's also through my own observation, keep the rev below 3000rpm or 2500 preferably, you'll see a significant gain in mileage, and use freeway instead of local driving will give u a big plus as we all know.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:59 AM
Instructor

I love TSX on highway except for stone and bugs,

I'm afraid to drive fast, I get a lot of dead bugs on the front
I'm afraid to follow too close to the car in front, I am scare of stone chipped
I'm afraid of big truck, I try to pass them when I see a long distance of free road to make sure I have the lowest probability of getting stone chipped

I guess I just love this car too much that I don't want anything to hurt it...

But yes, I agree that TSX has tons of power on highway and I always keep redlining until fifth and it is just too fun
Old 06-08-2004, 09:11 AM
Race Director

Gosh guys thanks for all the information! I'm going to take into account all of what you guys said. Remember the same friend who told me that I should've gotten the Accord coupe V6? Now he said that if I did a lot of highway driving I would've been safer driving an SUV like a Murano or 4Runner than the TSX
Old 06-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Gosh guys thanks for all the information! I'm going to take into account all of what you guys said. Remember the same friend who told me that I should've gotten the Accord coupe V6? Now he said that if I did a lot of highway driving I would've been safer driving an SUV like a Murano or 4Runner than the TSX
Bah.. I'll take a car that can maneuver over an SUV anyday... Then again, anything can happen..
Old 06-08-2004, 09:19 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

untill you roll it. or go poor from gas bills.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:59 AM
! deadmau5 !

>> Remember the same friend who told me that I should've gotten the Accord coupe V6? Now he said that if I did a lot of highway driving I would've been safer driving an SUV like a Murano or 4Runner than the TSX

We traded my wife's ML-320 for the TSX. 235hp vs 200; 3.2L vs 2.4L; 17.5MPG vs 27MPH. Here's the kicker: 5300 lbs. vs. 3300 lbs.

In 75,000 miles -- 3 trips around the equator -- she carried an extra ton of dead metal with her (through a lot of starts and stops). 90% of the time there were no passengers.

The ML had good handling for an SUV -- I would've called it similar to a small-block Corvette with automatic -- but face it, compared to a TSX it's the difference between wearing good hiking boots and ballet slippers. (Driving my Yukon is like wearing galoshes over a pair of wrong-sized Kmart boots, with a ball & chain attached.)
Old 06-08-2004, 10:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Safer in an SUV? Does your friend know anything about cars?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Orangeblood

The 6MT just ROCKS on the highway. 80mph seems to be the equilibrium speed.

Don't know what the mileage speed should be though. I'm just happy to be getting >21mpg by being on highway.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1. I don't like being next to them and I hate being right behind them (kick up too many rocks) so I try to pass em ASAP .

2. The wind noise is almost non-existant. Most road noise is from the tires and that depends greatly on the road surface. I prefer alphalt to concrete as asphalt seems much quieter.

3. Passing power on the AT is fine. If you floor it the AT just shifts down and off you go. Alternatley you can engage SS and downshift yourself. Either way you can go 60mph to 80mph surprisingly quickly.

4. Best fuel efficiency is around 55mph (I admire you if you can keep it there for long) The TSX is VERY happy cruising at 80mph. You will notice that the speed can creep up on you if you don't watch the speedo because the TSX just doesn't feel like its going fast even though it is.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:51 AM