important tinting question!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Automobile Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
important tinting question!!

Ok....just got my car tinted and i waited 5 days untill i opened my windows but now there is a problem. Does anyone know if the little gliding lip in between the door panels(the part that holds the glass as it goes up) is suppose to be facing up or down? I dont remember what it looked like before. Because now half is up and half is down and it is causing a bunch of fine scratches all over the tint
Someone help....and if the supposed "awesome" place for tinting, screwed this up....im gonna flip. basically i need someone to post pics of their door where the window rolls up from the panles so i can see what the hell is wrong here.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:02 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I will be putting my body kit on today, I will snap some shots of the window sill. Hopefully you can wait a few hours.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:09 PM
b0h
weee!~

from experience, it's supposed to be up...
the tint shop pushed it down, so they could tint the very bottom of the window...

usually they push it back up, or when you move the window, it automatically pulls it back up
Old 10-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Advanced

For those of you who have tinted the rear window, do you think that it is possible to remove the tint without destroying the defroster? My salesman informed me that this is a $500 repair.
Old 10-18-2003, 02:05 PM
b0h
weee!~

of course it's removable, but there is a great risk of breaking the defroster lines!
$500 bucks should ensure that it's a safe removal

why remove?
can't see properly - or was the tint a bad job?
Old 10-18-2003, 02:24 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: important tinting question!!

Originally posted by NJtsx
Ok....just got my car tinted and i waited 5 days untill i opened my windows but now there is a problem. Does anyone know if the little gliding lip in between the door panels(the part that holds the glass as it goes up) is suppose to be facing up or down? I dont remember what it looked like before. Because now half is up and half is down and it is causing a bunch of fine scratches all over the tint
Someone help....and if the supposed "awesome" place for tinting, screwed this up....im gonna flip. basically i need someone to post pics of their door where the window rolls up from the panles so i can see what the hell is wrong here.
why would you flip out. Everybody makes mistakes. If you go in there and flip out your going to get A LOT less help then if you went in there understanding.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:07 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by b0h
of course it's removable, but there is a great risk of breaking the defroster lines!
$500 bucks should ensure that it's a safe removal

why remove?
can't see properly - or was the tint a bad job?
No, I haven't even tinted yet. I'm just worried that if I don't like it, it will cost 5 bills to remove it.

Another question: For those of you with illegal tints, how often are you pulled over for it? In my state it is illegal to tint the front-side windows. I think it might look weird with only rear-sides and rear window tinted.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: important tinting question!!

Originally posted by tony4311
why would you flip out. Everybody makes mistakes. If you go in there and flip out your going to get A LOT less help then if you went in there understanding.
I agree. Flip out as a last resort.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:06 PM
such a dirty birdy

Originally posted by junk5681 Another question: For those of you with illegal tints, how often are you pulled over for it? In my state it is illegal to tint the front-side windows. I think it might look weird with only rear-sides and rear window tinted.
It might look weird or it might not. Around here, tinting the front sides is not permitted at all, and there is no restriction on the rear side & back glass, so you see a lot of cars with very dark tints on the back and rear sides, nothing on the front. You get used to seeing it and it doesn't look so strange.

However, I also see a lot of cars with tints all around and in fact that's what I did. Nothing too radical, I put 35% on the sides, 20% on the back window. It's not overly dark and especially with the sunroof open, there is enough light inside the car to identify the driver from outside. I had a conversation with a cop about this issue a couple years ago, and that is the real concern - if the tint makes it hard/impossible to identify the driver, there is a problem. Otherwise, they have more important things to worry about. It's one of those things that if you get pulled over for something else and give the cop some attitude, you'll probably get written up for the tint as well, but it's not usually an issue in itself.

Utlra-dark "limo" tint all around would be inviting trouble, not to mention just plain dangerous.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Good info, thanks... I think I'll go for it and just roll down the windows when a cop pulls up next to me.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Advanced

taking window tint off is not complicated but can be a time consuming hassle. I've taken window tint off the back and side windows of my old 89 Acccord Coupe Se-I because they started to turn purple (old films sucked).

Basically all you need to do is start to chip an edge off and then peel, if you do it carefully it mostly peels off in one piece. After you've peeled the actual tint off, there's the glue residue and remaining little pieces of tint. Just spray on lots of soapy water and scrape with a razor blade, and when you get too close too the defroster lines, you can rub the glue off.

AND, if you do happen to scratch off part of defroster line, no worries, (I did it), you can buy defroster repair kits. Works like white out.