Im not too happy

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not too happy

I took the TSX for a test drive
Let me say, when I took the TSX for a test drive, I did not find its performance up to my expectations of an acura. Although its handling was pretty much razor sharp, the acceleration was below par. If you hit the gas, it would take about 1-2 seconds before the TSX kicked in. If a v6 were offered in the 05 model, I definetely know what car I would get (TSX) Also, when it took bumps it was very noticable. The interior was nice (especially the spedometer and tachtometer) IMO, I thought the mazda handled better overall. It had better pickup, absorbed the bumps, had same razor sharp handling. Ok, the TSX may look cooler on the outside and inside, but the MZ6 isnt far behind. (Mazda6s i mean) Also, insurance is less on the mazda, and with rebates and all i would end up spending a good 3-4k less with more features. I was dissapointed at the fact that the TSX didnt have heated mirrors, and xenon headlamps were only on low beam. The car was very nice, but like I said earlier, I dont think it was up to Acura standards. If I could afford the extra few grand I would get a TL, but with insurance the TL's yearly cost would be astronomical. This is why I am split 50/50 between the TSX and Mazda6s
Old 12-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I was also tempted to get the Mazda 6s too (for the V6) but then after considering the following factors, I went with the TSX:

1. The TSX style is classier and more timeless
2. The TSX will have much better resale value years later
3. The gas mileage is much better with the TSX
4. The overall finish (interior and exterior) is better with the TSX
5. NO NEW CAR HORROR RUST STORY with the TSX!!!

I think the Mazda 6s is for an even younger crowd than the TSX. You should get what you want and what is the best value for your money. If it's the Mazda 6s that you want, go and get it! However, before you do that, wait for that M6s sports hatchback - it should be out by March - I think that is a hot car!

P.S. how much more is insurance with the TSX than the M6s?
Old 12-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: Im not too happy

Originally posted by nitrustwinturbo
This is why I am split 50/50 between the TSX and Mazda6s
Seems as if you've already chosen the Mazda6, IMO.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Very few $27k cars have the HID headlights, and very few cars period have HID on both high and low beam. Even the TL high beams are Halogen, I believe...
Old 12-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Cruisin'

Do you think its a possibility acura may up the hp or somethin on the TSX for the 05 model year? I might as well come clean with you guys. Im not thirty or 40 years old. Im 16. I know what your thinking, what is a 16 year old doin lookin at a 27k car? Its a long story. Cars are my first life to me. No one else I know has as much passion for cars as I do. I want something that can fill that feeling. I may be a little pedal happy which is why I was looking for a faster car. I dont know what I should do. If the TSX came out with a slightly faster model for 05, I definetely know what I would get. BTW gregor, TL's are xenon in both low and high beam
Old 12-03-2003, 07:13 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
All I can tell you is, don't get the TSX. If your not happy with the power in a test drive there's no way you'll be happy with it in everyday life. And there's no way the 05 will have more power. I'd guess we have to wait until 06 at the earliest for a power upgrade or Type R/A-Spec model.

Keep in mind that the TSX passing times are superior to the 6s. The TSX is also quicker than the 6s at higher speeds. The TSX only suffers getting off the line.

If your only 16, I'd get something else altogether. RSX, SRT-4, EVO RS, MazdaSpeed Protege etc.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Pro

Did you drive the MT or AT? The AT in "D" has a slight delay if you nail the throttle and the needs to figure out that it should downshift, then perform the shift. The MT or AT in sport shift should not have any delays.

It's unfortunate that you are disappointed with the lack of bi-xenons, while the "better-equipped" MZ6 doesn't have any HID options.

The V6 is a Ford Duratec engine, if that matters to you.

The MZ6 was my second choice, although in Canada the difference is only $2k CDN and our TSX has the heated mirrors. I figure I'll make the money back on resale anyways.

I'm not trying to slam the MZ6 - it's an excellent car. It's your money - you should be happy with your choice.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Cruisin'

Its not that Im not satisfied with the TSX, but performance wise all together, im talking handling, acceleration, etc, whats better, the tsx or 6s?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Just out of curiousity, how old is everyone on here? I'm 19 and i think it's perfectly normal for a 16 y/o to drive a 27K car...
Old 12-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Racer

Assuming you are not Doogie Howser, what in the world is a 16 year old doing considering the purchase of either a Mazda 6 or a TSX? That is a little absurd. I'm "not too happy" about having to share the road with a "pedal happy" 16 year old either.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:50 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
Assuming you are not Doogie Howser, what in the world is a 16 year old doing considering the purchase of either a Mazda 6 or a TSX? That is a little absurd. I'm "not too happy" about having to share the road with a "pedal happy" 16 year old either.
I'm 26...and more pedal happy than I was at 17 (no license at 16).
Old 12-03-2003, 08:14 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well your comparing the power of a luxury sedan to a sport car so of course the tsx isn't going to be faster. Since you say it takes 1-2 seconds to kick in it sounds like you drove an auto so any car in auto is going to be slower because it has to downshift first. If your looking for the best power why bother with an auto? If you drove a stick never mind. There's no delay when I step on it in mine.

I don't notice any bumps in this compared to other cars I ride in. Then again most of them are lowered with thinner tires.

Yeah I'm disappointed at the lack of heated mirrors too but then again you can't really miss what you never had. As far as not having HID high beams who cares. High beams hids is pretty pointless anyways. Some times they aren't on long at all which isn't good for them anyway. The regular lights put out PLENTY of light anyways. You say the Tl had hids for the high beams. Did they have separate lights for the high and low. Because if not then its pretty obvious why they had it on both.

The car is defiantly up to Acura standards it just doesn't sound like the right car for you. Go with the Mazda it sounds like you'd be a lot happier with it.

Originally posted by SilverCr
Just out of curiousity, how old is everyone on here? I'm 19 and i think it's perfectly normal for a 16 y/o to drive a 27K car...
It's not. IMO all 16 yr olds should have beaters for a first car because they will get abused and beat on no matter how into cars the person is. Mine did. my friends cars did and we're all into cars
Old 12-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Not an Ashtray

Responding to one of the points in this thread: The high beams from the TL are HID.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:35 PM
Cruisin'

lol alright. I just talked to a salesguy 2day and he said high beams on TL were xenon, but w/e. I dont have the kind of cash to buy a TL neways
Old 12-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Cruisin'

I dont want nor expect anyone to see into the future, but does anyone know of any upgrades they might give to the 05 TSX? When I buy my car it will be about aug-sept next year, by then the new TSX's will be out. Whats your opinion?
Old 12-03-2003, 08:51 PM
I am Ahab!

I dont want nor expect anyone to see into the future, but does anyone know of any upgrades they might give to the 05 TSX? When I buy my car it will be about aug-sept next year, by then the new TSX's will be out. Whats your opinion?
It'll be the same.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by tony4311
IMO all 16 yr olds should have beaters for a first car because they will get abused and beat on no matter how into cars the person is. Mine did. my friends cars did and we're all into cars
That would be my opinion as well.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Re: Im not too happy

I took the TSX for a test drive
Let me say, when I took the TSX for a test drive, I did not find its performance up to my expectations of an acura.
The title of this thread clearly indicates that you shouldn't get a TSX. Don't try to convince yourself if you didn't like it, just move on and good luck.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:05 PM
Cruisin'

Ok maybe I was a little harsh in my review. The damn salesmen rode with me in the back, I wanted 90 in a 45 zone because he kept talking about him and his wife building a house. Honestly, I havent driven the 6 for about a month and half, so I kinda forgot the feel. This weekend Im hitting both dealerships, and thats when I'll make my decision. But I just have one question. Whats everyones opinion about japanese cars vs american cars? And BTW, I have a completely different viewpoint about buying cars. I figure Im going to be driving this car for at least another 6+years. Im taking it two years till college, 4+ years in college, and not to mention whatever lies ahead. This is why I looked at an Acura, there the most reliable cars I know. My father has always lectured me about the fact that Fords stand for (Fixed Or Replaced Daily) I guess thats kinda gone to my head, but idk.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:09 PM
Pro

I dont want nor expect anyone to see into the future, but does anyone know of any upgrades they might give to the 05 TSX?
For past models, Honda has normally done major updates on each model every 4-5 years, and minor facelifts every 2-3 years. Since this is the 1st year for the TSX (Euro Accord is only a few months "newer"), I don't expect any significant changes for 2005.

There will probably be some different colour combinations and a few running changes (such as the blue ignition light) but it's very unlikely there will be any body or engine changes.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:13 PM
Pro

Whats everyones opinion about japanese cars vs american cars?
That's a loaded question! Do a search on this thread and there's endless, endless debate overy japanese vs german vs american reliability.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Cruisin'

If u have heat or a/c on, does that take power away from the 4 cyl?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Racer

If u have heat or a/c on, does that take power away from the 4 cyl?
Go buy the Mazda, you know you want it.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Cruisin'

Y does everyone keep saying tat, idk if i do. Im just asking questions about a car i forgot to ask the salseman
Old 12-03-2003, 10:11 PM
More On

I don't know why he's even considering a TSX.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:15 PM
Cruisin'

y do u say that larch?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:21 PM
More On

Because it seems the things you are most interested in are things that have nothing to do with what the TSX is about or why someone would want to get one.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:30 PM
Kickstand

If your going to be keeping the car for six years just remember that the 6 isnt gonna be worth its weight in dog crap in 6 years.

Mazda = ford
Old 12-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
August-Sept next year, the 2005 TSX will be out. I predict there will be more options. We all have our wish lists, but a reasonable hope is, they offer an A-spec option with forged wheels, lowered suspension, summer tires, brembo brakes, maybe recaro seats. Forged (lighter) wheels will improve the 0-60 time by a half second.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Iceman
August-Sept next year, the 2005 TSX will be out. I predict there will be more options. We all have our wish lists, but a reasonable hope is, they offer an A-spec option with forged wheels, lowered suspension, summer tires, brembo brakes, maybe recaro seats. Forged (lighter) wheels will improve the 0-60 time by a half second.
All very cool, but with the TSX is selling beyond expectations, I suspect the bean-counters at Honda will wait until 2006 before releasing those upgrades. I understand the US is already past their 15k target in first six months. A-Spec and similar packages are typically used by Honda to revitalize interest in a slower selling model. The TL-S wasn't available for the first two years and the TL-S A-Spec was only in the last model year for that generation.

You also have to consider that these packages push the price closer to that of the TL 6MT which has some of these features and a lot more power. The TSX was meant to fill in a specific and fairly narrow price gap between the RSX and TL.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:14 PM
I am Ahab!

Originally posted by Iceman
we could probably buy all the stuff aftermarket for half the price
Old 12-03-2003, 11:59 PM
Intermediate

To answer a question from a previous thread, I am also 19yrs old. The TSX is my third car and i wanted to make sure i got something that was going to be safe and reliable and the TSX seemed like a good decision to me.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:14 AM
Pro

I think Acura should put an inline 5 with a little Type S. But mostly inline 5.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:13 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by jackspat2
I think Acura should put an inline 5 with a little Type S. But mostly inline 5.
Lots of us wish the Vigor was still in production, too.

nitrus [sic], You should consider yourself lucky to be able to pick the car you're going to drive at 16.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok maybe I was a little harsh in my review. The damn salesmen rode with me in the back, I wanted 90 in a 45 zone because he kept talking about him and his wife building a house. Honestly, I havent driven the 6 for about a month and half, so I kinda forgot the feel. This weekend Im hitting both dealerships, and thats when I'll make my decision. But I just have one question. Whats everyones opinion about japanese cars vs american cars? And BTW, I have a completely different viewpoint about buying cars. I figure Im going to be driving this car for at least another 6+years. Im taking it two years till college, 4+ years in college, and not to mention whatever lies ahead. This is why I looked at an Acura, there the most reliable cars I know. My father has always lectured me about the fact that Fords stand for (Fixed Or Replaced Daily) I guess thats kinda gone to my head, but idk.
Well, I'm glad you're looking into the Honda family. They make fantasticly reliable cars that hold their value like none other. A TSX would do you well in that department. But I'm going to have to agree with the others here, I don't think a TSX is the best "beginner" car. I think kids should start out with beater cars. It's nothing against you or your driving habits but kids in general start out driving rough and reckless disproportionate to their experience. I'm glad my first cars were a minivan and a old Cougar. It wasn't until I was 21 that I bought my first new car.

But if you really really want an Acura, I think the RSX would fit most high school students better...it's still as reliable, cheaper, and still fast without getting stupid-fast.

My
Old 12-04-2003, 11:20 AM
More On

Originally posted by AcuraFan
Well, I'm glad you're looking into the Honda family. They make fantasticly reliable cars that hold their value like none other. A TSX would do you well in that department. But I'm going to have to agree with the others here, I don't think a TSX is the best "beginner" car. I think kids should start out with beater cars. It's nothing against you or your driving habits but kids in general start out driving rough and reckless disproportionate to their experience. I'm glad my first cars were a minivan and a old Cougar. It wasn't until I was 21 that I bought my first new car.

But if you really really want an Acura, I think the RSX would fit most high school students better...it's still as reliable, cheaper, and still fast without getting stupid-fast.

My
Well said. But a coupla things:

Not that I myself wasn't reasonably fortunate and well off when I was 16, but not to be able to consider this kind of car. I would tend to think that someone who's thinking of a new car like a new TSX at 16 is usually very well off, to the point of not needing to care much about what kind of shape the car is going to wind up in. (If I'm wrong about this, let me know! Remember, I'm not saying it's always the case, just that I'd tend to think it's usually the case.) If so, this wouldn't be a reason for him not to consider the TSX. However, it does seem to me that from what his car priorities seem to be, I have no idea why he'd even think of a TSX.

Also: Like you say, RSX seems like a better choice for him. But, isn't it FASTER than the TSX??? Depends what you mean by "faster," but I think on most measures the RSX wins.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by larchmont
Also: Like you say, RSX seems like a better choice for him. But, isn't it FASTER than the TSX??? Depends what you mean by "faster," but I think on most measures the RSX wins.
Well, I know the Type S is faster but I'm not sure about the base model. I guess the differences between a younger person buying a TSX vs an RSX is image and the interior.
1) Image: a high school kid driving a sedan or a sporty coupe/hatch. Or...a high school kid driving an Acura luxury sedan or a sporty hatch, sedans aren't as cool. IMO
2) Interior: I know younger people, in general, are harder on things. I once put a small hole in my girlfriend's back door while takeing a minifridge out of her Sentra because I wasn't careful enough. I'd rather see something like that happen to a $20,000 RSX (or $5,000 used Sentra) instead of a $27,000 luxury car with the best interior in its class.

But I dunno...
Old 12-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Teh ?

Originally posted by larchmont
Well said. But a coupla things:

Not that I myself wasn't reasonably fortunate and well off when I was 16, but not to be able to consider this kind of car. I would tend to think that someone who's thinking of a new car like a new TSX at 16 is usually very well off, to the point of not needing to care much about what kind of shape the car is going to wind up in. (If I'm wrong about this, let me know! Remember, I'm not saying it's always the case, just that I'd tend to think it's usually the case.) If so, this wouldn't be a reason for him not to consider the TSX. However, it does seem to me that from what his car priorities seem to be, I have no idea why he'd even think of a TSX.
I wasn't too well off when my parents got me my first car, but there are benifits and distractions from driving a higher end car during HS. My first car was the Audi, though it was a 5 year old car, it was from the Audi dealership, so it was in pretty good shape. I loved the car, but with no experience with other cars, I never really realized the full potential of my car (I just like the great interior and the fact that it was fire engine red). If I had a car like that now, I think I would appreciate it more than I did back than. After I switched to my Integra two years later, I came to the conclusion that I would have liked the Integra as the first car, than the Audi.
And yes, Nitrus, you should consider something more in the range of a Subaru WRX or something to that nature. Seems like you want a 'racer'-type car in that you want fast acceleration. A Mazda6 at your age just doesn't seem right, IMO.

Junkster, whose grandmother helped pay for the Audi.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

I think he wants the TSX and is looking for justification to make the purchase. Otherwise he would not be spending his time here. I think his only legitimate criticism is the amount of power under 3K. If he spends his time coming off the line fast, get the Mazda, but in day to day driving it is available torque at speed that is of most use and that is the TSX, in spades.

As to the issue of buying a beater first because of the damage a TSX driven by a 16 year old might sustain, I disagree. I think that the better reason for having a beater is so that when you buy a decent car you will really appreciate it having seen what a lesser car is like. It's like beer. Start with Bud or Miller, move on to some average Canadian stuff, and when you are really ready to appreciate it buy some British or German beer and drink it at an appropriate temperature.
Old 12-04-2003, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by hjd73
As to the issue of buying a beater first because of the damage a TSX driven by a 16 year old might sustain, I disagree. I think that the better reason for having a beater is so that when you buy a decent car you will really appreciate it having seen what a lesser car is like. It's like beer. Start with Bud or Miller, move on to some average Canadian stuff, and when you are really ready to appreciate it buy some British or German beer and drink it at an appropriate temperature.

That's a very good point. I drove a crappy Celebrity (with 260K miles on it) and an Omni leading up to my first Honda. I tell you what, I appreciated every minute in the Honda all that much more.

Quick Reply: Im not too happy