Im impressed! 06 TL owner driving a 06 TSX loaner.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Living the Dream

Received 130 Likes on 71 Posts
If he can post pics of the Marysville plant I think y'all would be pretty impressed. (If he has already, I can't tell, my damn work computer will open only certain pics from this website, even if they are "clean")
I see it when I travel to visit family in western Ohio.

You can even see bits and pieces of the test track out there (especially the big ass banking turn they have).

As far as quality goes, I think 90% of all Hondas are produced in Ohio (please correct me if I'm wrong) and they are of great quality.

Besides I have an uncle that works in the Anna, OH engine plant and several UNC-Charlotte engineering grads (like me) get jobs there. I'd hate to see my family or school be "blamed" for shotty workmanship.

Keep it up Acura818
Old 08-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lets get this thread back on topic...

i've had a TL for the past 2 days....although there is more power and a bit more room i'd still take my tsx over the tl.

although i do love the 1 touch sunroof and the memory seats...my 04 doesn't have these features....
Old 08-04-2006, 12:26 PM
What Would Don Draper Do?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, to the o.p., i'm glad you like the tsx. i think both are great cars, and it's nice to see tl owners compliment the tsx. too many times i've seen tl owners look down on the tsx while having never driven the car before.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:41 PM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acura818
All you guys/gals with TSX's have awesome cars. I have been driving a TSX loaner for the past few days and when I went car shoping awhile back I made the mistake of not test driving one because I prefer V6's. I love the TL but I might have gone with the TSX if I would have test driven it. The following are things I will really miss when I turn in this car:

- When you initally step on the gas this car GOES! Step on the gas of a TL and you can literally feel it strugling for the first couple of seconds to pull all that weight and then it REALLY goes.

- The TSX audio system sounds alot better to me than the overrated one in the TL. It has just the right amount of loudness, bass and clarity...im my TL I get clarity but not the loudness and bass of the TSX's.

- And last but not least its built in Japan which is why I see and feel it soooo solid.
Acura818

Would be interesting if you can post your original comment in the TL forum and see what kind of feedback from your fellow TL drivers....(you might want to wear your flame suit.....lol)
Old 08-04-2006, 03:23 PM
VSA Rocks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- Step on the gas of a TL and you can literally feel it strugling for the first couple of seconds to pull all that weight and then it REALLY goes.
During my test drives, I encountered the same thing with the TL on the 6MT. It also seemed to hesitate a whole lot during high RPM upshifts.

Could this be due to all the power on tap down low for the TL? It's quite possible the TL surpassed the allowable torque on a FWD car where grip is an issue. As a result, the DBW, VSA, and LSD all have to kick-in during high throttle conditions. I found it irritating as it seemed to take away from my driving experience.

Outside of that, I really don't have anything against an otherwise great car. There are days of the week where I'd rather have a TL. For the current TSX owners who someday want a more softer/disconnected driving experience, I wonder how many would prefer the TL over the RL. Buying a much smoother, quieter, and bigger RL sure has crossed my mind during the days I don't feel like winding the 2.4 up.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
I guess a good question to ask the TL guys would be, what would you drive if the TSX and TL were equal in acceleration/power (and all else does not change)? if the most prominent gripe was nullified, would you still be driving a TL, or would you be driving the TSX?
Old 08-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Black_6spd
Could this be due to all the power on tap down low for the TL? It's quite possible the TL surpassed the allowable torque on a FWD car where grip is an issue. As a result, the DBW, VSA, and LSD all have to kick-in during high throttle conditions. I found it irritating as it seemed to take away from my driving experience.
What's even more crazy is that Acura is supposed to bump up power to 295 for the 07 (with the requisite bump in torque down low). All that through the front wheels will have DBW, VSA, LSD, even the CIA and the FBI working overtime.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:28 PM
VSA Rocks

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
What's even more crazy is that Acura is supposed to bump up power to 295 for the 07 (with the requisite bump in torque down low). All that through the front wheels will have DBW, VSA, LSD, even the CIA and the FBI working overtime.

295 hp + FWD + DBW + VSA + LSD = WTF
Old 08-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

cmschmie: The large 7 mile banked track that you see near the Marysville and East Liberty plants is not owned by Honda. It's owned by TRC which I believe was started by Ohio State (go Bucks)! Of course, Honda uses the track a ton, but so do other manufacturers.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdepasqu2
...,I do think it is "ironic" and not a coincidence...., that American cars have bigger engines and they just seem to get bigger and bigger......, especially under this current administration......,
Reality check! People are free to buy what they want. Many American cars have the choice of engines, sometimes even 3. If people pay more money for a bigger engine, that's their perogative/problem depending on how you look at it. Noone shoved that SUV down their throat. As gas prices go up, you'll see more people buy smaller engines; I think it's already happening, according to one news report.

Well, to relate this back to the OP, maybe this is yet another reason to prefer the TSX over TL -- better gas milage? I know I am pretty happy with that.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Black_6spd

295 hp + FWD + DBW + VSA + LSD = WTF
LOL
Old 08-04-2006, 10:30 PM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Some of you may be interested in this thread in the car talk section:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/tl-vs-tsx-345073/

Nice to see some unbiased TL owners here.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:18 AM
Instructor

I beg to differ that a car assembled in the U.S. is put together just as well as one assembled in Japan. My father retired in 2005 as a Quality Engineer in the American automotive industry. He worked on numerous projects in Japan and at the Ohio plant. During most of his carreer he noticed that in Japan quality control has become a way of life; they really believe in it; while in America its mostly a fad. I remember him telling me of an internal ( off the record ) quality check report that was never released to the media a few years back in which their department rigorously inspected at random an X # of U.S. assembled cars right off the final assembly point line as well as cars assembled in Japan and they noticed that in MOST of the U.S. assembled cars...dozens of screws, washers and other similar items were missing!...but the cars were supposably ready to be shipped out to dealers. While on the other hand...the Japanese assembled autos that were randomly inspected had nothing missing.
I agree. I am a Quality Engineer for the largest healthcare/medical devices company in the world and we have suppliers/3rd party manufacturers from Japan, US, and many other countries in the world. First of all we have to get some things straight:

1. The Japanese live and breathe quality. They practically set the standard and mostly everyone down to the the individual technicians religiously belive in it. Believe me, quality controls are a pain and sometimes you can get so meticulous it's almost a joke (think 4-5 different regulating agencies, ISO9001, ISO14001, etc). The plant in the US where I work at for example, even the Quality Engineers themselves skirt some of the more tedious quality control rules. Now these aren't anything significant mind you, but it just shows how Americans, like acura818 said, are not as attentive to detail and are merely hopping on the bandwagon to catch up. A lot of times the engineers here do it because it's a job, not because they believe in it.

2. The prevalent rattles that everyone seem to be talking about: this is not really a manufacturing quality issue, but rather a design issue: a big diference. I personally have this problem w/ my 06 pwp too, but the very fact that rattles seem to occure in over 60% of TSX is almost a smoking gun that it's actually a design issue because the rate of occurrence is just way too high. Usually when you have shoddy manufacturing quality you may get a bunch of cars that are non-conforming to what they are suppose to be, and if you get one of those, tough luck. However, if almost everyone seem to be complaining about the same problems, it is likely that the car was put together exactly how it should be. It's just that the original design or "how it should be" is flawed in terms of rattles, thus explaining why almost everyone seem to have some sort of rattles. Why the engineers chose to stick with this design and not address it, I can't explain. Perhaps it has to do with a high cost in having to address a design change and after a cost analysis they determined that it's not necessary (I mean look, we all STILL got the car).

3. To those who get the very rare lemon TSX, you are probably one of the very very few unlucky ones because no matter how good of quality a manufacturing process is, it is never perfect. Even the Six Sigma industry standard for process control and quality allows one defect out of one million (correct me if I'm wrong about this one).

My $0.02.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tlbkcal
3. To those who get the very rare lemon TSX, you are probably one of the very very few unlucky ones because no matter how good of quality a manufacturing process is, it is never perfect.
I completely agree wth this. Honda's quality is not perfect. It is better than most, as illustrated by the statistics. But junk does roll out the door of their Japanese facility from time to time, and an unlucky consumer ends up owning it. There's no way to water that down.

Unlike the data you see in a survey, a consumer isn't going to buy 1,000,000 units from Honda and 1,000,000 units from Kia. A consumer is going to purchase just one... and when that one unit from Honda is toublesome, it is very real and disappointing to him/her.

Would I buy another TSX? It depends--on styling and engine choices. My experiences with poor quality have not deterred me from considering another TSX or another Honda product in general. What are the odds of this experience occurring again anyway, right? Yikes, I shouldn't have asked that.
Old 08-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by junktionfet
No. At least not entirely. Where did I say that anyway? Could you quote it?

No really, go ahead and belittle all you want. I have had mechanical problems. A broken fuel pump and a leaking brake booster. And yes, rattles and squeaks.

Could you maybe go back one page and read my first entry in this thread. I think I did a pretty good job summarizing how I feel.

The problems I've had with the car don't bother me that much over the long haul. You know what really bothers me? People/Honda fans (no one in this thread) who chime in with "Well I've never had that problem..." or "So what if your power brakes quit working... it's not like you were stranded...".

As you can tell, I have an exceptionally good sense of humor about the things that have happened. As I've said--it's got a warranty and so far it hasn't let me down. Indeed, that part of the car IS reliable.
In post #15 you called the car a piece of crap, then later mentioned creaks and rattles, but no other issues until the post I'm responding to now. That's where I got the idea. Sorry to hear of your problems.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Have camera, will travel

I completely agree wth this. Honda's quality is not perfect. It is better than most, as illustrated by the statistics. But junk does roll out the door of their Japanese facility from time to time, and an unlucky consumer ends up owning it. There's no way to water that down.
Who the heck on this board ever said Honda's quality is perfect, let alone insinuated it is. We're talking about the mass production of complex machines. Lemons are inevitable for any marque. Anybody who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

I'm surprised you feel the need to mention it.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Have camera, will travel

Who the heck on this board ever said Honda's quality is perfect, let alone insinuated it is? We're talking about the mass production of complex machines. Lemons are inevitable for any marque. Anybody who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

I'm surprised you feel the need to mention
Old 08-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by waTSX
Who the heck on this board ever said Honda's quality is perfect
I hope no one has. If they had said so, I would've quoted it.

let alone insinuated it is?
Oh I've gotten that impression a number of times on this board. Many people seem defensive when someone complains of a problem. Was anyone here responsible for engineering the TSX or ensuring quality control? If not, why do so many people take such a defensive posture?

Right out of the gate, people here are very quick to either dismiss problems as minor (effectively watering it down to "it isn't actually a problem at all") or blame the owner of the car.

Now before you make a nit-picky rebuttal to that... Yes, some problems are genuinely due to owner-error and some problems aren't really problems at all (i.e. The people who complained about the cheap sound the doors make when you shut them with the windows down, etc).

Lemons are inevitable for any marque. Anybody who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

I'm surprised you feel the need to mention
As long as you really believe what you say, you are indeed a reasonable person, and you should feel no need to respond to the paragraph above.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by waTSX
In post #15 you called the car a piece of crap, then later mentioned creaks and rattles, but no other issues until the post I'm responding to now. That's where I got the idea. Sorry to hear of your problems.
Please try not to take bits and pieces of what I write across a thread completely out of context. If you see something that doesn't add up, just ask. If I saw someone who obviously has had a rough time, I'd want to know what problems he or she have had. I wouldn't automatically assume they were being unreasonable.

And when you say "the car", you know that I went out of my way to explain it was specifically my car, and that it was a rare instance, right?