If you were going to repaint your tsx...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you were going to repaint your tsx...

What color would you paint it? Mine got keyed, I am mulling my options.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Racer

What color was it before? Otherwise, I'd go with CG, SSM or IBP (available in Canada currently). I'm sorry to hear someone keyed your car.:'(
Old 10-12-2003, 02:27 AM
Racer

I'd consider Meteor Silver (currently CG).
Old 10-12-2003, 02:33 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd go blue...its sporty
Old 10-12-2003, 03:03 AM
Advanced

Toyota or BMW Gold
Old 10-12-2003, 03:03 AM
Pro

Pick a TL color.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:12 AM
Registered AssHat

Pink.

Then you could work for Mary Kay.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:15 AM
More On

Yankee pinstripes.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:44 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

An aftermarket paint job (at least one your insurance will pay for) will never come close to being as nice (or lasting as long) as your factory finish. There are also overspray issues (like the door pillars next to the trim, etc. etc.)

How many panels got keyed? Unless more than half the car needs painting, I'd advise trying to match the factory color and painting as little as you can possibly get away with.

If they scratched up the whole damn thing, then of course this doesn't really apply
Old 10-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Automobile Aficionado

cobra Mystique
Old 10-12-2003, 11:45 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by rb1
An aftermarket paint job (at least one your insurance will pay for) will never come close to being as nice (or lasting as long) as your factory finish. There are also overspray issues (like the door pillars next to the trim, etc. etc.)

Depends on shop and the paint job and how well they prep.
Stock paint isnt that good actually

Get Viper Blue (Viper) or Laguna Seca Blue (M3) or another color that you cant get w/ a TSX
Old 10-13-2003, 03:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by STC
[B]Depends on shop and the paint job and how well they prep.
i second that. with stock paint jobs, if you really look at it, is not good quality. really bad orange peels and/or uneven/inconsistant paint job. i cant wait til my car gets out at the end of this month. i've checked on it last friday and man, can i say the paint job is amazing. and they said they're still not done yet. still have to buff out paint again. dry, wash and triple wax it for me. anxious for that day i reunite with my eX.(tee ess eX that is.)

edit:i'd say phoenix yellow. and match it with the silver star rims.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:35 AM
rb1
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by STC
Depends on shop and the paint job and how well they prep.
The factory finished is baked on at high temperatures in controlled conditions. The car is just a steel shell at this point -- you can't duplicate these conditions in the aftermarket.

Even if the after-market job looks nice immediately after its done, they typically don't age nearly as well.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:20 AM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by rb1
The factory finished is baked on at high temperatures in controlled conditions. The car is just a steel shell at this point -- you can't duplicate these conditions in the aftermarket.

Even if the after-market job looks nice immediately after its done, they typically don't age nearly as well.
Is it baked at high temps at *controlled* conditions? Doesnt matter if it is, the stock paint is thinner than most (i read that a few places before.) Stock paint isnt all that good.

Now in terms of aging, there are so many factors involved.
Do you wash your car regularly? clay, polish, and wax? park outside all the time? use the automated car washes?

Its all in maintaining the paint my friend. My dads friend's 88 Accord was repainting in 92 or 93. I was a sophmore or jr in high school. He painted it silver. He gave it to his son afterwards and the kid kept really good care of it. It look perfect until the day he sold it in 2000.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:12 AM
SEM
Cruisin'

Personally, I always wanted to see a TSX in a Maroon/Merlot/Burgandy color. I love redish cars, but the bright red the TSX is offered in is a bit too much for me.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Pro

Originally posted by SEM
Personally, I always wanted to see a TSX in a Maroon/Merlot/Burgandy color.
I would agree with this if you have the tan interior, not with the black. This car has too classic of a look for anything too extreme, like the BMW Laguna Seca Blue or Drakar Yellow.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Cruisin'

Try the Citron Silver Metallic that was available on the Integra 4 Dr a few years ago, especially nice if you have the Ebony interior
Old 10-14-2003, 04:23 AM
Instructor

Re: If you were going to repaint your tsx...

Originally posted by junk5681
What color would you paint it? Mine got keyed, I am mulling my options.
Paint it the same color as it is right now. To do a proper paint job and change color (substantially) you need to take the motor out and the interior, otherwise parts such as the underhood area (around the motor) and inside the door jambs etc. won't match and it will look like exactly what it is: a cheap aftermarket paint job.

I can't believe the keying affected more than a couple of body panels down one side - have a good quality shop paint/blend it and you'll never know. It'll be cheaper and your insurance will pay for it.

I generally agree with the comments that factory paint (while thin) is baked on and aftermarket paint is usually softer and less durable. In fact I think they use an electrostatic process to paint the car in the factory. That said, I also agree that a factory paint job is not as good as you can get if you go to the right shop and are willing to pay $5000 for a beautiful job.

If it was me, I'd spend the $5k on something useful. Surely you didn't buy a car whose color you disliked. So why change it. You will also find that it probably reduces the value of the car for resale or trade. Anyone with the VIN can probably find out the original color of the car and the fact that you had it repainted might lead people to believe that the repainting was due to major damage. I wouldn't buy a repainted (recolored) car.

C.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:01 AM
Instructor

I'm happy with the Satin Silver Metallic...
Old 10-14-2003, 09:14 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

If you really wanted to change the colour, and you dont want to go with anything flashy, i'd get BMW's Silver Grey Metallic.
Its nowhere near as dark as the Carbon Grey, and nowhere near as bright and common as SSM. Its a beautiful midrange silvergrey.

J.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Banned

i say keep it the same color and have the body shop blend it in. it'll look like new and you'll have a lot of extra $$$ for other stuff.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:09 AM
Beaver Believer

I need to get the right rear pannel repainted. How hard will it be for a body shop to blend Nighthawk Black Pearl? If you have this color you probably know already about the cool little blue specks in this paint and I want it to look just like it did the first day I got it.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Instructor

I had my '95 Miata keyed once - 5 body panels - in the parking garage of my apartment building, at the time. Then two weeks later someone punctured the roof, when I had it park in the same place - had to be handled as a separate insurance claim . The whole this was a nightmare! I ended up moving out a couple of months after.

Thankfully (and knocking on wood), my TSX spends almost all it non-driving time in my garage (I don't drive to work).

People who key other peoples cars should be hung by their 'nads and used as a punching bag. What a shitty, destructive and senseless thing to do...
Old 10-14-2003, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by joedokes
I need to get the right rear pannel repainted. How hard will it be for a body shop to blend Nighthawk Black Pearl? If you have this color you probably know already about the cool little blue specks in this paint and I want it to look just like it did the first day I got it.
A good body shop should be able to do it just fine. I used to have an M3 that was purple (Techno Violet). If you looked at the car closely in sunlight you'd see flecks of red, and blue in it. The dealer damaged the rear fender of my car. Ended up having to repaint the whole side and most of the trunk lid and it looked superb. I could tell, but only just (and only because I'm anal).

C.