If You Bought From Ron Tonkin Acura....

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If You Bought From Ron Tonkin Acura....

RT Acura won't budge on the price of their TSX (at/no nav)...only giving me a $500 Costco member discount. So I’m curious what people paid for similar models. Please post the date when you bought and the price. I would love to throw this in their face!!
Old 08-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
At this level of price, wait a few weeks for a 2005.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:26 PM
New CG tsx owner

Originally Posted by plutonium239
RT Acura won't budge on the price of their TSX (at/no nav)...only giving me a $500 Costco member discount. So I’m curious what people paid for similar models. Please post the date when you bought and the price. I would love to throw this in their face!!
are you refering to the RT in Portland, OR? either way, i picked mine up for 25300 a week ago. MT/no nav. good thing about oregon is that there's no tax. :blaze:
Old 08-29-2004, 09:47 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Have you tried Acura of Portland
Old 08-29-2004, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sigmachi96
Have you tried Acura of Portland
No, Maybe I should tho
Old 08-29-2004, 10:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CgTsX808
are you refering to the RT in Portland, OR? either way, i picked mine up for 25300 a week ago. MT/no nav. good thing about oregon is that there's no tax. :blaze:
Oops, sorry. Yep, Portland Or. Who was your salesperson?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Intermediate

BOught my MSM in May of 2003 and that time Ron Tonkin gave me 900 off MSRP. The sales person name is James Lafleur. Mention Nandakumar and he will understand. Very nearly traded my tsx for a tl last week, but fortunately backed away.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:11 AM
Racer

Got my TSX from Fleet Manager @ Dick Hannah (acura of Portland) for $24,701

Bought my 03 TL-s for a good price at Tonkin, but they wouldn't move on the TSX
Old 08-30-2004, 12:14 AM
New CG tsx owner

Oops, sorry. Yep, Portland Or. Who was your salesperson?

i'm actually down in eugene. i bought it down here at kendall acura. i just like the way the people worked down here. they weren't pushy at all, it was all at my pace. i just can't stand the people that force you to sign the first time you test drive a car. unless they give you a ridiculous price, which never happens.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:43 AM
Baka Unco

Also try emailing them. The internet sales guys have different pricing standards. On the same car internet v. walk-in there was more than a $1000 difference. I was really turned off by the sales guy at Ron Tonking of Portland. Ron Tonkin's Internet guy had beat the regular sales guy's price by about $750.

I ended up at Acura of Portland, w/internet sales guy Justin Lemmons (bad car sales guy name, but a nice guy). Deal was exactly what he quoted me by email.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:52 AM
yup.

Try Chuck Spresser @ Kendall Acura. I got my 6sp/nav from him back in 03/2004. Great guy.

They had the best price on the CG/Q that I was able to find back in March.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:10 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by nanda68
BOught my MSM in May of 2003 and that time Ron Tonkin gave me 900 off MSRP. The sales person name is James Lafleur. Mention Nandakumar and he will understand. Very nearly traded my tsx for a tl last week, but fortunately backed away.
I also bought mine from James way back in the day (May 2003).
Old 08-30-2004, 02:37 AM
TSX is my Police Car

The guys at Ron Tonkin were completed asses to me. They wouldn't move on the price, wanted to give 400 for my trade in, pushed me too hard, and overall just annoyed me. Spoke to there manager about the experience and he pretty much gave me the cold shoulder. Bought from Acura of Portland...got everything i wanted, 3000 for my trade in. Much better experience.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by Krytos
The guys at Ron Tonkin were completed asses to me. They wouldn't move on the price, wanted to give 400 for my trade in, pushed me too hard, and overall just annoyed me. Spoke to there manager about the experience and he pretty much gave me the cold shoulder. Bought from Acura of Portland...got everything i wanted, 3000 for my trade in. Much better experience.
Interesting, my experience was the exact opposite. Dick Hannah has two dealers on me pulling the classic "if I sell you this car at MSRP would you buy it today" after I had just told them I wasn't buying anything today. Not only that, but they had it listed at over $4K above MSRP.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Absolutely true. Ron Tonkin were just great and this was when the TSX were slowly trickling into the market. I went and saw Acura of Portland but they were willing to budge only for about 300 USD.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:45 PM
7th Gear

My experience with Acura of Portland has been great. I have bought two Acura's from them, most recently, my TSX. I stopped in at Ron Tonkin, but was turned off by the pushy sales person. I got my SSM / 5AT/ Navi for $27,368. This was $500 cheaper then Ron Tonkin quoted me. Deal with Justin Lemons, he will take care of you.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:29 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by ryobi1
My experience with Acura of Portland has been great. I have bought two Acura's from them, most recently, my TSX. I stopped in at Ron Tonkin, but was turned off by the pushy sales person. I got my SSM / 5AT/ Navi for $27,368. This was $500 cheaper then Ron Tonkin quoted me. Deal with Justin Lemons, he will take care of you.
Justin is one of the ones I dealt with as well.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:56 AM
Baka Unco

Originally Posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Justin is one of the ones I dealt with as well.
Maybe it's all about timing. I would say hit up both places and figure out which one works for you. Maybe there were/are different pressures on the various sales people at different times, or lack there of, meaning maybe they didn't HAVE to make a sale at that time so they were trying to get as much commission as possible.

But no matter what I got better quotes from the Internet Sales guys at both places than from the regular sales guys at their respective dealers.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by corbs
Maybe it's all about timing. I would say hit up both places and figure out which one works for you. Maybe there were/are different pressures on the various sales people at different times, or lack there of, meaning maybe they didn't HAVE to make a sale at that time so they were trying to get as much commission as possible.

But no matter what I got better quotes from the Internet Sales guys at both places than from the regular sales guys at their respective dealers.
I had a guy from Infinity tell me the internet reps didn’t charge those stupid "additional dealer markup" gestapo charges.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:02 AM
Cruisin'

I bought from Ron Tonkin Acura and had a great experience there. They gave me within $150 of what I'd found my other car's value to be (various online resources) as an initial offer. The sales staff (James L. also + Kem somebodyordruther) treated me very very well. I got the Costco discount but nothing more save for my trade-in. No-one was pushy at all. Perhaps I'd best qualify my position in that I feel the TSX/Auto/NoNav is well worth the MSRP.

Additionally I checked out Acura of Portland. And, I dealt with Justin Lemmons and agree, he's a great guy. I was put off by the non-removable $4000 mark-up, however. Had that not been in place, likely I'd have purchased there instead.

Overall, after having the car for some 1100 miles now, I'm still satisfied with it and the dealership. ....and they gave me some hop-up tips too............................ :-)

Dr. Daryl
Old 09-03-2004, 12:06 AM
Cruisin'

PDX-area TSX's color:

For the Portland/Vancouver-area TSX owners...

Have you noticed that most TSX's are Carbon Grey/Ebony/Auto? I've seen nearly a dozen CG's in Vancouver, 1 NBP, 1 SSM, 1 red, and today, 1 blue.

There were 2 CG TSX's parked side by side at Fred Meyer so I joined the group with mine...also CG.

Perhaps it's Honda's interpretation of our perpetual cloud/rain climate. Dour climate/Dour colors.

Dr. Daryl
Old 09-03-2004, 01:49 AM
Registered AssHat

I've seen a few whites, a few blacks, a bunch of SSM and Carbon Grey, with one blue.

Saw a black on with Silver Stars at TB-Hwy and 217 around 5pm today.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Baka Unco

I've seen a few whites, a few blacks, a bunch of SSM and Carbon Grey, with one blue.

Saw a black on with Silver Stars at TB-Hwy and 217 around 5pm today.
Yeah, there's alot more of them out there, that's for sure. For about a week there was one parked at an apartment directly accross from mine. But I have seen it again.

Last Friday night a CG owner and I were checking out each other's cars at a stop light. Kinda funny. . . But I agree most of them tend to be SSM or CG

<edit> Oh, just wanted to mention that the internet sales guys at both Ron Tonkin and Acura of Portland, both came in under MSRP, $1100 and $1250 respectively. But at both places the regular sales guy wouldn't move below $250 under MSRP.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by corbs
Yeah, there's alot more of them out there, that's for sure. For about a week there was one parked at an apartment directly accross from mine. But I have seen it again.

Last Friday night a CG owner and I were checking out each other's cars at a stop light. Kinda funny. . . But I agree most of them tend to be SSM or CG

<edit> Oh, just wanted to mention that the internet sales guys at both Ron Tonkin and Acura of Portland, both came in under MSRP, $1100 and $1250 respectively. But at both places the regular sales guy wouldn't move below $250 under MSRP.
The Internet/fleet guy are also easier to deal with. Quite frankly, I know James LaFleur sells the most and has the highest rating out of all the guys at Ron Tonkin (this is as of a year ago). So if he can sell the car, but still make just a bit of money, he's good with it. Besides, he's not the wham-bam try to make a deal kind of guy. He's not going to be your friend, but he'll be courteous and professional.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

How about MSM. Have u guys seen meteor silver. It looks nice and neat and it seems to have a dual color to it.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Registered AssHat

I have seen one around here.

Way back when, Dick Hannah Acura also had one on their lot. Interesting, but not my personaly fave. And it only comes with Quartz interior. I preferred the Ebony once I saw it in person.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:48 PM
Advanced

The Internet/fleet guy are also easier to deal with. Quite frankly, I know James LaFleur sells the most and has the highest rating out of all the guys at Ron Tonkin (this is as of a year ago). So if he can sell the car, but still make just a bit of money, he's good with it. Besides, he's not the wham-bam try to make a deal kind of guy. He's not going to be your friend, but he'll be courteous and professional.
I dropped by RT Acura yesterday and talked with James (as opposed to my original pushy salesman) Wow, what a difference. He even recommended I sell my Integra myself rather than take a $2000 hit on it trading it in.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:59 PM
Registered AssHat

I dropped by RT Acura yesterday and talked with James (as opposed to my original pushy salesman) Wow, what a difference. He even recommended I sell my Integra myself rather than take a $2000 hit on it trading it in.
See...big difference. Justin at Dick Hannah was also much better than the "walk-in" guys, but he was too busy at the time.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Cruisin'

Selling your own has advantages indeed.

You said:

The dealer (you likely know this already) has to give you wholesale bluebook whilst when you sell your own, you get retail wholesale. On an older Integra, I'd expect to invest $1500 on a car that I'd sell at $1800 or so. Between professional detailing, necessary repairs, time-on-lot monies, etc., expenses can rapidly top $1000 even for a dealer.

In your case, I'd *definately* consider selling it myself. In my case, my car was best traded. 2 Thumbs Up to James L. :-)

Dr. Daryl
Old 09-04-2004, 02:14 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Might as well get a 05, which now have passenger power seat and dual power heating mirrors....
Old 09-07-2004, 01:39 PM
Intermediate

I was just checking the acura estore and these are the prices from 3 different dealers for the parts and installation for front under body spoiler, side under body spoiler and rear under body spoiler

Rontonkin 1573, 1573, 1573 USD

Acura of POrtland 392, 520, 358 USD

Kendall acura 437, 610, 437 USD

If i install all the three at rontonkin it would cost me approx 4800 USD and the same at acura of portland would be aprox1275. WOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Is rontonkin ripping the customers off are is their something different.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:16 PM
A-spec Arctic Blue

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I was just checking the acura estore and these are the prices from 3 different dealers for the parts and installation for front under body spoiler, side under body spoiler and rear under body spoiler

If i install all the three at rontonkin it would cost me approx 4800 USD and the same at acura of portland would be aprox1275. WOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Is rontonkin ripping the customers off are is their something different.
All these charges are rip-offs. I would buy the kit from a Acura dealership on eBay or the honda.acura.world website. I bought mine for $900 and installed it myself. It is pretty easy with the instructions provided. It will take over 3 hours to do if you are doing it by yourself.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by Dr. Daryl
The dealer (you likely know this already) has to give you wholesale bluebook whilst when you sell your own, you get retail wholesale.
More accurately:

The dealer will never give you more than bluebook wholesale. Usually they will try to give you less. In more competitive markets you have some leverage with the dealers (ie: I'll take my car and trade it in elsewhere), but if you've only got one or two dealers in the area for the kind of car you want, they will most likely lowball you and most likely not budge much. (And keep in mind that as far as the dealer is concerned any gain on the trade-in is balanced against price breaks on the new car.)

Same is true for retail. I have found that in my area, the blue book "retail" values are wildly optimistic compared to what you can realistically get for the car.

Remember that KBB is mostly supported by the dealers, banks, and insurance companies, and they all have economic reasons for wanting to have the values somewhat inflated.

I find that Edmunds numbers are much closer to reality, and also somewhat adjusted to reflect the local (as opposed to national) market.

I looked at a car at RT Acura about a decade ago. I was so turned off by the experience that I shied away from all Acura vehicles for this long...

These days I test-drive whereever is most convenient, then I deal with the internet managers to find what I want.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sigmachi96
All these charges are rip-offs. I would buy the kit from a Acura dealership on eBay or the honda.acura.world website. I bought mine for $900 and installed it myself. It is pretty easy with the instructions provided. It will take over 3 hours to do if you are doing it by yourself.
$914 as we speak on ebay. sure beats $4800
Old 09-07-2004, 11:12 PM
1st Gear

Just bought mine from Ron tonkin, 25,250 about 30minutes of haggling. Much better then my time spent at dick hannah who would not budge from the 26,700. for an auto non nav.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:33 AM
Registered AssHat

Unfortunately, that's their service department. I think they got confused with the "hours of labor" comment via their options manual.

Needless to say, I was not impressed with them. The dealer, okay. The service...meh.

Although, you can always take your quotes to Tonkin and ask why their prices are so high.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Intermediate

Just bought mine from Ron tonkin, 25,250 about 30minutes of haggling. Much better then my time spent at dick hannah who would not budge from the 26,700. for an auto non nav.

I cannot believe this. Last week my friend bought from Justin lemmons at acura of portland for 25,750 man. Did u speak to the internet sales guy or what.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Intermediate

Unfortunately, that's their service department. I think they got confused with the "hours of labor" comment via their options manual.

Needless to say, I was not impressed with them. The dealer, okay. The service...meh.

Although, you can always take your quotes to Tonkin and ask why their prices are so high.

I exactly did that and guess what. ron tonkin quoted 929 for spoiler installedand dick hannah quoted 624. 300 dollars diff. and i also wanted a quote for acura accessory wheels(silver star type), ron tonkin quoted 1475 for a set of four and get this that too for an exchange of the stock wheels. Acura of portland quoted 900 flat and no exchange. I went and showed these figures to the parts manager. Omg looked as stupid as anyone can be. But ultimately said he would match any price.

In this world of comparison pricing and forums like this one, who do they think they can cheat. ***holes.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Intermediate

Anyone dealt with Sandy over at Dick Hannah? I'm not sure if she is also an internet salesperson, or just fills in when Justin Lemons is out of the office?

It appears it doesn't matter where I go to find pricing info on a 2005 model pre-order. $500 under m.s.r.p is the best I can do, even if I run up to the Seattle area. Anyone else have pricing info for MY05 they may have pre-ordered in the area?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by dinger
Anyone dealt with Sandy over at Dick Hannah? I'm not sure if she is also an internet salesperson, or just fills in when Justin Lemons is out of the office?

It appears it doesn't matter where I go to find pricing info on a 2005 model pre-order. $500 under m.s.r.p is the best I can do, even if I run up to the Seattle area. Anyone else have pricing info for MY05 they may have pre-ordered in the area?
Sandy is also the internet salesperson, and is the senior to Justin Lemons. She's also typically the one doing to auto shows as well. I personally like her better than Justin.

Again, if you go to Ron Tonkin, talk to James LaFluer.

Also, I did get one good offer way back when from Acura of Bellevue.

Quick Reply: If You Bought From Ron Tonkin Acura....