I want to install angel eyes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want to install angel eyes...

i was looking to install angel eye's but I'm scared of not getting the proper seal and possibly getting condensation. Any tips on how to properly seal the lights so i don't get condensation?
Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Helladump/flush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could just send them to AAC, and they will do it for you, and seal it properly.

Just a thought...
Old 10-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Racer

whats AAC? but if i where to send it in i wouldn't have a car to drive. lol. unless i drive without lights
Old 10-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Visit AAC's site
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/...PROD&ProdID=28

AAC is Advanced Automotive Concepts, the company that makes the angel eyes you want. There are other companies, but if you read around, you'll find that people were dissatisfied with other companies rendering AAC as one of the best (but expensive).

I'm getting angel eyes in a few weeks too. You can order them and install them yourself which brings us to your question and concerns about messing with your headlights. Here is my opinion: messing with your headlights is risky because they are so sensitive to damage. If you know what you're doing and feel capable, then do it, but I wouldn't. I looked into the process of DIY install and found that it is waaaay more involved than you might think. It involves baking your headlights in the oven to soften adhesive-like material, drilling holes, etc... not something I want to do. AAC will install them for you for another $200, which is expensive, but quoting another member of this forum, I'll agree that a professional install is priceless.

If you want AAC to do it, you'll have to remove the entire headlight unit and send them to AAC. This means you can't drive at night for a few days, but you will have beautifully installed angle eyes out of the deal. This will cost $350 and up depending on how many of the lights in the headlight unit you want done. For all 3 (low, high, and t-signal), its $249 if I remember correctly.

I'll post pics and more details about the process after I do it.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Racer

to ensure no condensation all you gotta do is go that extra step and bake your headlights at least twice. most of the people who got condensation open them and close them without thoroughly baking
Old 10-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Racer

I can purchase a JDM headlights and bulb and send it to them for the installation of the Angel's Eyes. While I wait, I can drive with my current headlights for the time being, That would work, right?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:26 AM
JDM Addict

right.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Racer

But JDM headlights don't come with the bulbs. I wonder how much the dealer will sell the (OEM) headlights with the bulbs.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:29 AM
JDM Addict

no need to send them any bulbs.
just the light housings.
keep the bulbs in your car.
when they send the JDM lights back with the
halo rings installed, just switch bulbs from your
OEM housings to the JDM housings.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Mike D from Ohio

I'm pretty sure you have to find amber bulbs yourself if you get the JDM kit. I was wondering if there is a way to get clear casing for the turn-signals and side-markers. I don't want the whole JDM kit... just the clear markers and I can find my own amber bulbs. Is this possible?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:30 PM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by miked8887
I'm pretty sure you have to find amber bulbs yourself if you get the JDM kit. I was wondering if there is a way to get clear casing for the turn-signals and side-markers. I don't want the whole JDM kit... just the clear markers and I can find my own amber bulbs. Is this possible?
yes and no.

you can get 04-05 housings that come with clear sides and clear turns.
no amber, smoke, or blue, all clear.
they're not OEM though, they're aftermarket.
several have bought them, and all have been pleased with their quality.

you can NOT just buy clear side markers or clear turn lenses.
sadly nobody anywhere makes them, and OEM lights come with the
entire housing, Honda does not sell individual parts of the housing at all.
it's considered a single, sealed unit. they do not advocate you opening
the sealed unit for any reason.

so if you want all clear, your only option is to buy whole new housings.
from ebay.
but it's not that bad of an option really, they look pretty good.
and the price isn't bad either.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...spagenameZWDVW

and yes, if you want amber turns, and you have a clear lense over your
turns from switching housings, then you need to buy amber bulbs.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Racer

i would love to send them in because i don't trust myself but i need my car i cant afford to not have it for 1 week or 2. i don't really want to buy new jdm headlights right now so i guess i'll wait till next year and buy new headlights and put angel eyes on them.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:44 PM
JDM Addict

they do the work and ship the same day if they get the box
early enough.

if you really want to do it, use express mail.

monday you take off your lights and ship.
tuesday morning they get them, do the work, and send them back out.
wednesday morning you get them back, before noon.
US Postal Service Express mail.

worse case sceanario, you get them back Thursday, not Wednesday.

that's not so bad, those guys don't take long.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Where can I find 04-05 housing, and about how much do you think they will cost?
Old 10-19-2008, 04:04 PM
JDM Addict

depends.
there's the JDM housings.
there's the EDM housings.
there's the USDM housings.

and there's the Ebay housings.

what do you want really?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
they do the work and ship the same day if they get the box
early enough.

if you really want to do it, use express mail.

monday you take off your lights and ship.
tuesday morning they get them, do the work, and send them back out.
wednesday morning you get them back, before noon.
US Postal Service Express mail.

worse case sceanario, you get them back Thursday, not Wednesday.

that's not so bad, those guys don't take long.

hmm interesting i wouldn't mind doing that actually...
Old 10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Instructor

I would advise AGAINST sending your headlights to AAC.

I sent mine there to have Angel Eyes installed and I was extremely disappointed with the results!!! Customer service is also nearly non-existent. The owner of the company seems to not care about dissatisfied customers.

You have been warned. PM me if you want more details. Take my word, you do NOT want to let AAC get their hands on your headlights.

Last edited by Comp-Sci; 10-31-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any other company aside from AAC that can do the job?
Old 10-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

nope...but by sending out your headlights you are already doing half the work..you are taking off the bumper, removing the headlight, taking off the various parts of the headlight, putting parts back on when u get it back, putting the headlights back on the car, tapping to a power source, putting the bumper on.

the only things you aren't doing are sticking the headlights in the oven, opening them up, adding the eyes, and sealing them back up. it is definitely a "doable" install.
Old 10-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
nope...but by sending out your headlights you are already doing half the work..you are taking off the bumper, removing the headlight, taking off the various parts of the headlight, putting parts back on when u get it back, putting the headlights back on the car, tapping to a power source, putting the bumper on.

the only things you aren't doing are sticking the headlights in the oven, opening them up, adding the eyes, and sealing them back up. it is definitely a "doable" install.
Agreed.

Any headaches you may encounter doing this yourself, won't come anywhere near to the amount of headaches you'll have dealing with AAC.

If I had this to do over again, I would definitely attempt it myself.

EDIT: As an update to my earlier post, I should point out that so far, the AAC halos do seem to be of good quality. Products are okay... my only issue is with their service.

Last edited by Comp-Sci; 10-31-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Mike D from Ohio

What's wrong with AAC?

Originally Posted by CGTSX07
...tapping to a power source,...
What does tapping into a power source mean? Does this mean to test the halos before re-wiring the lights to make sure they work?

And,

I didn't know AAC did a bad job. I heard they do a good, professional job on the install. They don't install them crooked do they? Let me know whats up because I'm about to get halos myself.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 PM
Mike D from Ohio

Originally Posted by Comp-Sci

I sent mine there to have Angel Eyes installed and I was extremely disappointed with the results!!! Customer service is also nearly non-existent. The owner of the company seems to not care about dissatisfied customers.

You have been warned. PM me if you want more details. Take my word, you do NOT want to let AAC get their hands on your headlights.
I don't understand what you mean. You say you were disappointed with the results, but then you say the halos are of good quality and that you're only disappointed with the service. What about the service were you disappointed with? If the halos are installed correctly and are of good quality, then what was wrong with the service? I need to know this because I'm about to send my headlights to them. The only thing I can think of is they did a crappy job on the install. Let me know what's up.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:27 AM
Racer

all the pictures i've seen of AAC installs look really clean, cant even see the glue. he didn't complain about the quality of work just the quality of costumer service...how bad could that be.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Instructor

The install service is bad and the customer service is bad. The actual halo rings themselves (the actual product) I have no issue with. Here is a message I sent another AZ member:

They did a messy job putting the headlight assembly back together. There is clearly visible silicone sealant all around the side markers nowhere near a seal. When they glued a couple of the rings on, they also did a messy job... I now have brown (burned) glue sitting inside the headlight assembly. The amount of dust, dirt, and fingerprints on the inside of the assembly/lens and even directly on my HIDs is what really threw me over the edge. I can never clean that stuff now. I'm stuck with dirty headlights... and trust me, it shows up at night just as much as in the day (in fact, possibly worse at night).

I insisted, and was assured, numerous times that their turnaround time was 2-3 days once they receive the headlights. After having my headlights for 5 days, they were still sitting in their facility. When I complained, they said they would not cover the full cost of upgrading my shipping to Express (to make up for their broken promise of a 2-3 day turnaround time).

Making contact with AAC is difficult. E-mails are not returned right away, often not even in the same business day. Contacting anybody by phone can prove very difficult as well. Several times I called during the day and received no answer at all. I submitted a long, professional letter to the owner of the company outlining my dissatisfaction with the their service and never once received a reply. Once they have your money, they seem not to care about you.

The one good thing I will say about them, is that their products (so far) seem to be top quality. But that fact doesn't come anywhere near to making up for the headaches you'll get from dealing with them.

Last edited by Comp-Sci; 11-01-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

What does tapping into a power source mean? Does this mean to test the halos before re-wiring the lights to make sure they work?

And,

I didn't know AAC did a bad job. I heard they do a good, professional job on the install. They don't install them crooked do they? Let me know whats up because I'm about to get halos myself.
once you get them back from AAC, you still need to wire them up to a power source in order for them to work. all AAC does is glue the halos inside your headlight and run the wires out.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

comp-sci, that would really bug me too....you paid them to do a clean and professional install. sounds like they did a very sloppy job. I can admit that my install wasn't the cleanest, but it was my first time doing it, and I think it came out pretty decent. you would think these guys would have it down by now and know a thing or two about customer service. what person wants dust, dirt, and fingerprints inside their headlights?

IMO, even if you send them to AAC, you are still pretty much doing half the work..you minus well DIY.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Intermediate

I'm in the process of putting angel eyes in.

In all honesty, the only hard parts are getting the bolts on and off that are under the headlights, and resealing the enclosure. After I finished one headlight, I took it to a local performance shop that sealed it up great for $60. I took it to Honda and asked if they could do it and I thought it was funny when the tech said that it can't be sealed again. I'm going to try sealing it myself next time.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Mike D from Ohio

After hearing all this bad stuff about AAC, I'm CONSIDERING DIYing it. Here are the things that concern me:

1) How difficult is it to get the halos to not be crooked? I am bad with getting stuff to be straight in general. I'm not an art guy. I can't draw, paint, sculpt, etc. I don't have fine-motor control. My hands shake when trying to precisely get things to line up.
2) Is there any wire cutting, stripping, or soldering involved to get them wired to the parking lamps?
3) Baking the headlights myself sounds ridiculous to me. I don't want to even think about doing that. I'd rather stick my HEAD in the oven. It sounds to me like something a technician should do... certainly not me.

But I was thinking that maybe this isn't as ridiculous as it first sounded to me. If AAC is going to leave a crime database worth of finger prints on the covers, then maybe I should at least look into it. But then again, there are too many risks for my inexperience to mess something up. I don't really think my end decision is going to be a DIY. I'm more of a DUI guy than a DIY guy... just joking.

I'm going to call AAC and respectfully present this problem to them and politely demand that they don't let this happen to me. I'm not saying they will ACTUALLY LISTEN to me, but I really don't think I'm going to go through the process of breaking the seal on my units myself.

S**t!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:15 AM
JDM Addict

1. you will need fine motor control for a clean install.
you will need to drill holes in a precise location.
you will need to apply adhesive in a precise amount and location.
this is a job that demands attention to detail.

2. there is cutting, stripping and soldering. all are involved if the install
is done correctly. those wire splice things are only used by novices and
have a very high failure rate in comparison to proper soldering.

3. you will have to bake the lights, twice each. in your oven.
a good long bake, maybe 5 minutes longer than suggested is usually most
advised. sounds weird.. but gotta do it.

you have the right idea.
tell them of this post and that we know of their past failure.
I too am going to send them a light to work on.
I will ask that they wear gloves, leave not dirt or fingerprints.
I will emphasize that the adhesive must look clean and be sealed well.
Basically I'll put them on point for my order and keep the communication up.
I will tell them that I will be posting my experience here in detail
and remind them that it dictates their future business.

either that or it's DIY.

shame they had to go and f up someone's lights.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Instructor

... If AAC is going to leave a crime database worth of finger prints on the covers, ...
Not only the covers, but right on the actual HID "bulb". The half-globe shaped part. It's amazing how well they show up when the HIDs are turned on.

If any of you are brave enough to send your headlights to AAC, please post details about the results and keep us posted on any important events/communications with them.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:20 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
sorry to hear about that comp-sci, nothing pisses me off more than crappy service
Old 11-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Mike D from Ohio

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
no need to send them any bulbs.
just the light housings.
keep the bulbs in your car.
when they send the JDM lights back with the
halo rings installed, just switch bulbs from your
OEM housings to the JDM housings.
IF you send just the housings and keep the bulbs in your car, can you drive it with the headlights on even though there are no housings? Or will you be completely unable to use the lights without the housings?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 AM
JDM Addict

IF you send just the housings and keep the bulbs in your car, can you drive it with the headlights on even though there are no housings? Or will you be completely unable to use the lights without the housings?
no, you can't drive without housings.
HIDs need projectors to work and whatnot.
no housings = no go.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Racer

i live in New Orleans where they are located and got mine done...they did a good job..i went there personally...they did mine in a day but they do have a small finger print in housing but u cant really see it unless u pay attention to it.. they seemed nice to me but idk thats just my experience and maybe because i went there and checked them before i left is y i didnt have any problems..
Old 11-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Comp-Sci could you please post a picture of your Angel Eye. I would love to see them in a bigger size pix. Thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Racer

After hearing all this bad stuff about AAC, I'm CONSIDERING DIYing it. Here are the things that concern me:

1) How difficult is it to get the halos to not be crooked? I am bad with getting stuff to be straight in general. I'm not an art guy. I can't draw, paint, sculpt, etc. I don't have fine-motor control. My hands shake when trying to precisely get things to line up.
2) Is there any wire cutting, stripping, or soldering involved to get them wired to the parking lamps?
3) Baking the headlights myself sounds ridiculous to me. I don't want to even think about doing that. I'd rather stick my HEAD in the oven. It sounds to me like something a technician should do... certainly not me.

But I was thinking that maybe this isn't as ridiculous as it first sounded to me. If AAC is going to leave a crime database worth of finger prints on the covers, then maybe I should at least look into it. But then again, there are too many risks for my inexperience to mess something up. I don't really think my end decision is going to be a DIY. I'm more of a DUI guy than a DIY guy... just joking.

I'm going to call AAC and respectfully present this problem to them and politely demand that they don't let this happen to me. I'm not saying they will ACTUALLY LISTEN to me, but I really don't think I'm going to go through the process of breaking the seal on my units myself.

S**t!
1. baking lights isn't difficult. just remember to heat it up before you put it back together. this helps to insure a proper seal. if it doesn't seal properly, take it back off and try again.

a trick to get it nice and even. before you glue the halos into place, install them and get them wired up. put the headlights back in the car without the front clear cover. line up the halos while they're on, mark the location, and glue them in place while it's on the car.

once it's set take the light back out and seal it.

2. you'll need to solder wires into the parking lights. I would suggest adding some sort of quick connect inline, so that you can remove the headlights at a later time for any reason. if you don't do this, then you'll have to cut the wires to remove the headlights.

3. don't be scared to bake your lights. keep the temp down around 200-250. and remember to take your time when you take them apart.

use a long thin flat head screwdriver to help you pry the headlight apart.

if you're really scared, go down to a local junkyard and pull the headlights off of an old car and practice on those. once you do it once, you'll see how easy it is and you'll wonder what you were so scared of.

4. before you reseal the light take some windex and clean the inside of the light out to make sure it's free of dust and finger prints before you reseal it. takes about 5 minutes.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Mike D from Ohio

What do you mean by "quick connect inline?" Also, won't the halos melt if I bake them?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Racer

What do you mean by "quick connect inline?" Also, won't the halos melt if I bake them?

you could use either an inline fuse or use a wire connector harness. either should only cost you about 2 dollars or less.

the halos shouldn't melt. just use a low temperature like I said. when we say bake your headlights, we're not talking about 30 minutes at 450 degrees. we're talking about 5-10 minutes at 225 degrees.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Whats it is SON!

I was just looking online at the angel eyes and was wondering if i should get them or not. They seem 2 look really cool, and around here nobody has them on there tsx. Most of the comments everybody left were all positive. I'll have mine on order next week. 4 those who know me on here i do all my own mods and most of the time post pics along with the install. 4 those of u who r still ?ing if they can do it or not i'll leave pics 2 let u decide. I'll keep u posted.

Last edited by DogsTSX; 11-19-2008 at 08:18 PM.