I feel like I've been burned again...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:27 AM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel like I've been burned again...

The first Acura my family bought was a 2G 2002 TL-S. Throughout the cars lifetime we always had trouble with the transmission. Constant shudder, etc. which ultimately lead to a costly repair.

Despite a piss-poor decision on Hondas part regarding the transmission, we bought another Acura. We loved the TL-S and replaced it with a 2006 TSX 5AT PWP/Ebony with Nav.

One of the main reasons we went with the TSX was because of the fuel efficient engine and stellar reliability track. The TSX has been maintained by the dealer since day one, excluding one oil change. Now, at 83,000 miles it has developed a problem which I feel like is going to be a costly one...

Upon light acceleration at 30-40mph the car shudders which can be felt throughout the cabin. It only occurs during light acceleration (I.e. feathering the gas to maintain speed during low-speed traffic). If I drive normally, (2,400-3,000rpm before the AT shifts) the problem does not occur. The shudder is also prominent when going up an incline with light throttle.

We have always gone by the MM for service, and I have checked the transmission fluid and it is a darker red and does not smell burnt at all. I have still made an appointment with my local mechanic as every Honda/Acura dealer only wanted to do a x1 drain and refill. Per the manual the car needs x3 drain and fill. My mechanic has agreed to let me drive the car between fills like it should be done.

Is the shudder problem transmission related?

The transmission itself shifts beautifully and the car runs great. Recently achieved 38.6mpg during a road trip.

I've read a few things but most people that have the same problem as us haven't got much of a response online. I read something about a transmission software reflash, changing the trans fluid, axles causing the problem, motor mounts, etc.

The car has brand new (5mos old) Falken tires and is completely stock sans a switchblade key.

I realize it may be time for things to be replaced (motor mounts, axles maybe) but if this problem is transmission related I think I've been burned by Honda for the last time...
Old 05-19-2012, 06:12 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
It could be motor mounts, cv axles, or possibly transmission.

Has ATF been replaced? If not, I would try that before anything else.

Motor mounts can be inspected for soundness.

CV axles are difficult to diagnoise. I had vibration in a Honda Accord due to aftermarket axles, but others on this forum have had problems w/ OEM axles. If axles the problem will get worse w/ time to allow definitive diagnosis.

I would check for transmission (Obd2) codes. Some trans codes didn't set CEL on Accords and same may be true for TSX.

good luck