Huge Paint Chip On Hood -warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huge Paint Chip On Hood -warranty?

Went to the car wash tonight and when spraying the salt & shit off I noticed a big chunk of paint the size of a pencil eraser fly off. It looks like it's down to the primer or maybe even the bare metal. Piss me off. Anyone have any luck getting this covered under warranty? I know the paint on the hood is susceptable to chipping but this is bullshit.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:30 PM
STL
Three Wheelin'

LOL You might get a bottle of touch-up paint but don't expect anything else.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

Are you retarded?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How long have you had your TSX?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by balwinderismyuncle
Are you retarded?
What .....for expecting the paint on my hood to not come off from a pressure washer? Obviously the paint prep is not right and should be covered under warranty. I'm not talking about stone chips fuctard!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlukja
How long have you had your TSX?
About 15 months & 35,000 miles.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SPARKIE
What .....for expecting the paint on my hood to not come off from a pressure washer? Obviously the paint prep is not right and should be covered under warranty. I'm not talking about stone chips fuctard!
Its not their problem that you went to a car wash and the paint came off.

And it paint isnt covered under warranty. Thats what is funny, you think it is
Old 02-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Its not their problem that you went to a car wash and the paint came off.

And it paint isnt covered under warranty. Thats what is funny, you think it is
Paint may not be covered on the warranty you have on your skateboard but it's covered under my TSX warranty. Funny thing is that my owners manual even tells you to wash the car !
Old 02-21-2006, 06:58 PM
Banned

Paint may not be covered on the warranty you have on your skateboard but it's covered under my TSX warranty. Funny thing is that my owners manual even tells you to wash the car !

Show me where it says paint is covered on the warranty?

And what is up with that skatebored joke? Because I'm 19 means I cant afford a TSX?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Advanced

And what is up with that skatebored joke? Because I'm 19 means I cant afford a TSX?
i guess that means i cant afford a tsx either because im 17... oh but wait i do own one!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WheaMyRyceGo
i guess that means i cant afford a tsx either because im 17... oh but wait i do own one!
You're parents bought it tho
Old 02-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Instructor

It won't take you long to find it !
Old 02-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

It won't take you long to find it !
It isnt

Detailed Warranty Information
Basic
New Car Limited Warranty. Covers repair or replacement of any part that is defective in material or workmanship under normal operation.

Basic Miles

Basic Months

Towing
Vehicle is towed to the nearest Acura dealership or other qualified facility for warranty covered breakdown. Limitations may apply.

Towing Miles

Towing Months

Adjustments
Wheel balancing, air conditioning refrigerant and alignments.

Adjustments Miles

Adjustments Months

Rust
Rust Perforation Limited Warranty. Covers replacement of original body panels rusted through from inside out. Does not cover surface rust on any part other than body panel.

Rust Miles
Unlimited

Rust Months

Original Battery
Replacement Battery Limited Warranty. Applies to battery purchased from an Acura dealer. 100% coverage for the first 12 months including labor and installation, prorated thereafter (labor or installation not covered) and credit toward purchase of new battery.

Original Battery Miles
Unlimited

Original Battery Months

Replacement Parts
Replacement Parts Limited Warranty. Covers defects in materials and workmanship on parts installed by Acura dealer. Parts purchased from but not installed by Acura dealer covered for 12 months (labor excluded).

Replacement Parts Miles

Replacement Parts Months

Powertrain
Part of New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Powertrain Miles

Powertrain Months

Tires
Covered by tire manufacturer.

Safety Restraint
Covers seatbelts and related parts for useful life of vehicle.

Safety Restraint Miles
Unlimited

Safety Restraint Months
Lifetime

Transferability
Fully transferable to subsequent owners at no cost for remainder of warranty.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Instructor

It isnt

Detailed Warranty Information
Basic
New Car Limited Warranty. Covers repair or replacement of any part that is defective in material or workmanship under normal operation.

Basic Miles

Basic Months

Towing
Vehicle is towed to the nearest Acura dealership or other qualified facility for warranty covered breakdown. Limitations may apply.

Towing Miles

Towing Months

Adjustments
Wheel balancing, air conditioning refrigerant and alignments.

Adjustments Miles

Adjustments Months

Rust
Rust Perforation Limited Warranty. Covers replacement of original body panels rusted through from inside out. Does not cover surface rust on any part other than body panel.

Rust Miles
Unlimited

Rust Months

Original Battery
Replacement Battery Limited Warranty. Applies to battery purchased from an Acura dealer. 100% coverage for the first 12 months including labor and installation, prorated thereafter (labor or installation not covered) and credit toward purchase of new battery.

Original Battery Miles
Unlimited

Original Battery Months

Replacement Parts
Replacement Parts Limited Warranty. Covers defects in materials and workmanship on parts installed by Acura dealer. Parts purchased from but not installed by Acura dealer covered for 12 months (labor excluded).

Replacement Parts Miles

Replacement Parts Months

Powertrain
Part of New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Powertrain Miles

Powertrain Months

Tires
Covered by tire manufacturer.

Safety Restraint
Covers seatbelts and related parts for useful life of vehicle.

Safety Restraint Miles
Unlimited

Safety Restraint Months
Lifetime

Transferability
Fully transferable to subsequent owners at no cost for remainder of warranty.
You must be reading that from a sales brochure.
My 2004 Warranty Book- Page 13
"Additionally, this warranty guarantees that your new Acura will be free from any paint related defects for three years or 60,000 Km."
Old 02-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Banned

You must be reading that from a sales brochure.
My 2004 Warranty Book- Page 13
"Additionally, this warranty guarantees that your new Acura will be free from any paint related defects for three years or 60,000 Km."

I know that. But it didnt come that way from factory, why would it be covered?
Old 02-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Instructor

Holy shit! And you got the nerve to call me a retard, retard! lol
Old 02-21-2006, 07:38 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
some real intelligent conversations going on in this thread
Old 02-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jiggaman
Werd.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Holy shit! And you got the nerve to call me a retard, retard! lol
by your logic, crashing the car would be a factory defect and should be covered under warranty too.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Exactly.

SPARKIE: Prove that it was defective for the past 15 months and 35,000 miles, and I'll believe you.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=prove <-- look at Definition 1.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:48 PM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by jiggaman
Old 02-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Team Owner

About 15 months & 35,000 miles.
To me that seems excessive to be asking about warranty on paint. I think the dealer will not take you seriously because too much could have happened in that time. Anotherwords, they'll think it was done by a rock or something similar. But, it can't hurt to take it in and ask. If they believe your story then they may get a paint expert to take a look at the damage and see if there is any way to tell whether it was a defect or not. My inclination is that a rock chip, under close scruitiny, will show a point of impact whereas a paint anomoly will not. Did you ever notice any irregularities in that spot before the paint chipped away? Could it have been something in the water stream that did it?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm going to chime in here. You aren't supposed to take a pressure washer to the clearcoat anyways. Pressure washer nozzles have lots of pressure. It will damage the paint. A rock probably hit the paint before but it didn't actualyl chip off, only damaged it. But you taking the pressure washer to it probably put the paint over the edge and that's what made it fly off. What you might be able to do is bring them the peice that came off and say "here... i was washing my car and this peice all of the sudden came off". But the paint warranty is mainly a corrosion thing. You washing your car with a pressure washing nozzle and the paint coming off is not a defect becuase you raen't supposed to wash cars with a pressure washer to begin with.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:43 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Are you retarded?
we all ask stupid questions once a while so go easy on the guy!!~ WTF is wrong with people these days.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Racer

The paint is only covered if it starts pealing off the car or fading. Chips are wear and tear.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:44 PM
tsx's4playinwith

Originally Posted by iNteGraz92
by your logic, crashing the car would be a factory defect and should be covered under warranty too.
... ...
Old 02-21-2006, 09:45 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Went to the car wash tonight and when spraying the salt & shit off I noticed a big chunk of paint the size of a pencil eraser fly off. It looks like it's down to the primer or maybe even the bare metal. Piss me off. Anyone have any luck getting this covered under warranty? I know the paint on the hood is susceptable to chipping but this is bullshit.
Where is this rockchip at?? if it is on the cornner of the hood then just get a touch up paint because I had the exact same problem. The touch paint shouldn't cost you that much around $8-10.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alin10123
Pressure washer nozzles have lots of pressure.

He's right though...If you had a small chip and take a pressure washer to it, that small chip would become a bigger one under the right pressure...

Unless you just went mud boggin or havent washed your car in a year, there really isnt a need to use a pressure washer...
Old 02-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Flaking not chipped

I shouldn't have stated the paint "chipped off". It is actually flaking off because it is not adhering to the primer below. This is why I felt it should be covered under warranty. WTF, I don't expect Acura to repair stone chips!
I stopped by my dealer today and the Service Manager said that the hood should be repainted or at least profesional paint touch up guy. He's checking with Acura Regional Manager.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlukja
To me that seems excessive to be asking about warranty on paint. I think the dealer will not take you seriously because too much could have happened in that time. Anotherwords, they'll think it was done by a rock or something similar. But, it can't hurt to take it in and ask. If they believe your story then they may get a paint expert to take a look at the damage and see if there is any way to tell whether it was a defect or not. My inclination is that a rock chip, under close scruitiny, will show a point of impact whereas a paint anomoly will not. Did you ever notice any irregularities in that spot before the paint chipped away? Could it have been something in the water stream that did it?
Definetely not a rock chip. My winter driving is in fairly harsh conditions, lots of salt and sand which are taking their toll on the condition of the front of my car. The front bumper is fine just the paint flaking from the leading edge of my hood. My old 2nd Gen TL had 225K kms and its hood was in way better condition when I sold it than my TSX now. The paint on my hood seems unusually brittle or thin or is not adhering to the primer properly.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Just dial 1911

Well its a good thing the dealer is going to take care of it
Old 02-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Team Owner

Had you said flaking off instead of chip I bet you'd have gotten different responses.

Anyway, good to hear that Acura is taking it seriously and is handling it.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:26 PM
Burning Brakes

I shouldn't have stated the paint "chipped off". It is actually flaking off because it is not adhering to the primer below. This is why I felt it should be covered under warranty. WTF, I don't expect Acura to repair stone chips!
I stopped by my dealer today and the Service Manager said that the hood should be repainted or at least profesional paint touch up guy. He's checking with Acura Regional Manager.

You have taken a lot of abuse in this thread and I do NOT think you deserved it. Lots of people talk out of their a$$ and therefore it is crap coming out. Now, I have no way to know if your paint is defective BUT defects can show up after this period of time in anything. It is called a latent defect, many paint issues are latent. The idea being it DID come out of the factory that way it just did not manifest itself for some period of time, thus the whole "tolling" of the statute of limitations based on discovery in similar cases (doesn't apply to all situations but I mention it because it represents the acceptance of latent issues and the public policy behind it). If it were not for the understanding of latent defects the warranty on cars would be 3 days and 100 miles! Poor adhering paint is a classic latent defect for cars, take the late 80's early 90's GM cars for example, they had huge problems with gray/blue paint and it stripped off in sheets, there was a class closed on the suit and they covered them for 6 years unlimited milage IIRC.

As for pressure washing cars like anything it depends on technique. You have to keep the wand a good distance from the car and avoid the temptation to get close to get a stubborn spot of dirt off. It can magnify existing problems and possibly create new ones.

Glad they seem to be willing to help!
Old 02-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The front bumper is fine just the paint flaking from the leading edge of my hood. My old 2nd Gen TL had 225K kms and its hood was in way better condition when I sold it than my TSX now. The paint on my hood seems unusually brittle or thin or is not adhering to the primer properly.
It's been known to be this way, because newer cars (last few years I believe) must use different paint formulations than previously-used, and the result is "weaker" or "thinner" paint.

Blame treehuggers.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:33 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Joe, you been renting out the rights to your "fucktard" usage?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:34 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
not to mention...
Old 02-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by curls
It's been known to be this way, because newer cars (last few years I believe) must use different paint formulations than previously-used, and the result is "weaker" or "thinner" paint.

Blame treehuggers.

Yep H2O used as solvent instead of organic chemical based solvents.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Joe, you been renting out the rights to your "fucktard" usage?
The love is spreading