How to sell my 06pwp (moving from Canada to the States)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to sell my 06pwp (moving from Canada to the States)

I might be moving to the states in a month or two. So, I might end up selling my 06pwp with 28000km on it. I hate the fact Honda/Acura don't honour Canadian warranty in the states. If I go, it'll be SF area, so driving up to Canada for warranty work wouldnt' work.

It was not in any accident, except for the bumper scratch, which is fixed now. I will be putting stock parts back on it when I sell it. I am not looking to get the best deal out of this, but just want to get a reasonable price for it.

What's the first step in selling a car? Do I havea to tell them it had been modified a bit? What would be a reasonable price? Car's been well taken care of. I am also thinking about taking it to the dealer for a trade-in if things don't work out.

I purchased extended warranty when I bought the car. Can I get a refund from Acura?

One of the mod is aftermarket 2-way alarm/starter. Should I uninstall it or sell it with the car? It's a quality product.

from Honda website
If I move to the United States with my Canadian Honda, will the manufacturer's warranty be valid in the U.S.?
Technically, as is stated in the Warranty Guide that is provided in the glove box of every vehicle sold, the manufacturer's warranty provided by Honda Canada Inc. is only valid for vehicles that are "normally operated in Canada". However, American Honda will provide warranty coverage for the applicable warranty period if you fax or mail the following documents before you move to the United States:

A copy of a current Canadian driver's license to show proof of Canadian residency
A copy of the Canadian Bill of Sale, which must have the VIN, selling dealer name, and engine number
A copy of the Canadian permanent vehicle registration. Temporary registration is not acceptable.
A copy of the current vehicle registration in the United States.
You must contact American Honda Automobile Customer Relations (1-800-999-1009) to determine if the above applies in your specific case, and if the warranty provided by Honda Canada Inc. can be applied to your situation.
hm. Maybe it means I can take it and have warranty cover it...
but I was kind of wanting to buy a new car with RWD...

In Canada, MSRP for 2006 mt/no navy was 35900. In mtl, the best price I could was 1000 off the sticker and 750 rebate for graduation. With tax (15%) and everything, it was definitely too much now that 1CAD=1USD.
That's why I thougth maybe it's better to sell it in Canada and buy something new in the states where all cars are so much cheaper. I thought it'd actually be a financially better choice to sell the car.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:54 AM
talk about mudflaps....

You will have to (or should) disclose any modifications or repair work that is outside of regular maintenance. Any reasonable buyer will ask. I can't remember if the Acura Canada extended warranty is transferrable, you should check that, because that would be a selling point if it is.

I think a CAA office or the SAAQ location would have more information for you about selling the car. You might as well check with the SAAQ because you will have to fill out forms for the transfer of ownership. The sale price will also have to be declared on these forms.

As for price, Autotrader (a.k.a. Canadatrader) is only showing 2 2006 TSXs for sale in the Montreal area one for $25K CAD (Victoriaville) and the other for $22K CAD (Saint-Bernard).
Old 09-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Instructor

^ wow the price is way lower than I expected. I put 10000 down and am paying 570ish per month for 5 yrs. There's still 4 yrs left on the finance. that means I can't even pay the rest of the payment with it...

Should I have to tell the dealer about the mod that was done if I decide to trade in?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 AM
talk about mudflaps....

The dealer will probably ask about any mods and this will probably affect the trade-in value.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM
Instructor

I will be reverting back to stock tho.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Advanced

I just sold a 2006 with 24,000km private sale in Ottawa for $31,000.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Audi Driving Snob

With the exchange rates what they are sell your TSX and buy something in the States. You will get more car for your loonie.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Instructor

I'm being lazy. When selling a used car, do I pay the sales tax (15%?), or does the buyer pay?

(Do you have to pay the sales tax to the government with that $31000? or does he, on top of 31000? How does sales tax work in a used car sale?)
Old 09-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Is pwp white?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 PM
TSX MFG Date Sep 2006

Before I moved down to the States from Vancouver last year, I did a little research about the Acura. This is what I found... Acura Canada will not honor any warranty if I bought my car in the States and then bring it into Canada; however, they will honor the vehicle if I can prove that I was a resident in the States. Well, I'm living down here now - going 11 months soon. I have a TN Certificate for driving (not a DL license) since I don't have any permanent residence status as I'm down here on a L1A visa. This should prove that I resided in the States, along with my water bill, gas bills, cable, etc. I did this research before buying in case one day I have to move back with my TSX.

In any case, my point here is that if that's the case then the reverse should be true too.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Instructor

^^ pwp is white.

^ I'd definitely look into that if I can't sell the car for a reasonable price.
If I can get enough $$, I should be able to get a new tsx in the states with the money, assuming CAD vs. USD stays the same. So, it all depends on the $$ I can get.

Thnx cestmoi!

One more question:
I purchased an extended warranty. Should I get a refund or sell it with the car?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ebell
I'm being lazy. When selling a used car, do I pay the sales tax (15%?), or does the buyer pay?

(Do you have to pay the sales tax to the government with that $31000? or does he, on top of 31000? How does sales tax work in a used car sale?)
The buyer pays provincial sales tax on either the sale price or the ministry's own recordeded wholesale value. Whichever is higher.

I would recommend going to the province's website. They should have a section on private party auto sales.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:15 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
^^ pwp is white.

^ I'd definitely look into that if I can't sell the car for a reasonable price.
If I can get enough $$, I should be able to get a new tsx in the states with the money, assuming CAD vs. USD stays the same. So, it all depends on the $$ I can get.

Thnx cestmoi!

One more question:
I purchased an extended warranty. Should I get a refund or sell it with the car?
I bought the extended for my 05 (in the US) and the way the warranty handbook reads is that if I keep the car till the end of the warranty period (6 years in my case)(has to be time, not mileage)(never happen), and don't use it, I can get my money back. There's nothing about a prorated early buyback (unlike some warranties). I had an extended warranty on a Subaru WRX that I traded last year after less than 2 years and got most of the money back. Surprisingly, even though it was a "Subaru Warranty", it's written by the selling dealer, and they're the ones who refund the money. Also, if you trade the car, it's not transferable to a dealer. I'd say you're out luck if you trade, and/or use it for a selling feature if you were to sell the car privately. I'd suggest you quiz your dealer to be certain. Of course this assumes it's the Acura warranty. If you bought an aftermarket extended warranty, you'd have to talk to them.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude, why on Earth would you want to move from Canada to the US? I'm looking to go the other way, LOL.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Instructor

i asked the dealer about getting extended warranty, he said it's transferable to a new owner. Or just get a refund.

^ Better career opportunity, better pay and closer to home.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:41 PM
PWP/ebony/6MT/Navi

I might be moving to the states in a month or two. So, I might end up selling my 06pwp with 28000km on it. I hate the fact Honda/Acura don't honour Canadian warranty in the states. If I go, it'll be SF area, so driving up to Canada for warranty work wouldnt' work.

It was not in any accident, except for the bumper scratch, which is fixed now. I will be putting stock parts back on it when I sell it. I am not looking to get the best deal out of this, but just want to get a reasonable price for it.

What's the first step in selling a car? Do I havea to tell them it had been modified a bit? What would be a reasonable price? Car's been well taken care of. I am also thinking about taking it to the dealer for a trade-in if things don't work out.

I purchased extended warranty when I bought the car. Can I get a refund from Acura?

One of the mod is aftermarket 2-way alarm/starter. Should I uninstall it or sell it with the car? It's a quality product.
When I moved to the US from Canada last year (TN visa), I had to import my previous car to get it registered and insured down here (I have to drive a lot for work and I wanted to be sure I had insurance). But if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered - I had it down here for a year until I decided I was going to stay longer, and bought my TSX. But because I couldn't sell the Canadian car here, I ended up giving it to my sister in Canada, so I had to pay GST and excise (no duties cuz it's made in the US and NAFTA-eligible) to reimport it back to Canada, even though it was a returning Canadian car... all because I wasn't returning with the car! And I paid nothing to bring it down! Plus it was a mess of paperwork to reimport it. The TSXs are made in Japan, and more valuable than my old Honda... I can't imagine what the duties would be!

So in short, my advice: don't bring your TSX down unless you don't import it. Or if you are sure you'll be moving back with it to Canada eventually. I think if you're living in California, you'll have to import the car to get CA plates, they're pretty strict about driving with foreign plates there I hear. Besides you can get a great car for much less down in the US. Get another TSX, this one with navi (not available with navi in Canada, I hear!)

As for your selling questions, I'm not sure where in Montreal you are, but the CAA office near Fairview Shopping Centre has convenient hours, and they are also an SAAQ office.

For the extended warranty, I doubt you can get a refund but if you do a private sale, you can likely ask for more $$, not much but a little. And you can probably do the same if you keep the starter/alarm - starters are especially popular in cold cities and alarms are a must in Montreal, car theft capital of Canada, and quite possibly North America (after L.A.). Dealers will run you dry and give you nothing, and trade-in - not unless want another Canadian car to import?

One other thing if you were thinking of bringing the Canadian car down: even if the Canadian warranty was fully honoured here, there is such a large difference in the materials that US dealerships use versus Canadian dealerships. I had an issue with my brakes on the Canadian car because the Canadian brake pads were vastly different from the ones they use at Honda dealerships in the US, different standards, apparently.

Sorry for the long post, just putting in my !!!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Instructor

^ Thank you so much for the advice! I appreciate it.

I am waiting for the final offer from the company before I make my move. I am hoping to get ~29000-30000 in my pocket for the sale.

edit: oh, navi is avaliable in canada also.
Canada is not THAT bad.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Instructor

I got a possible offer of $30000 CDN for my car.

2006 PWP manual no navi
31000km
aftermarket 2 way alarm/starter
Nokian Hak4 snow tires used for 4 months.
5yr/100000km extended warranty
5 yr PPP replacement warranty
sherlock

The rest will be stock.
Is this a reasonable offer?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Audi Driving Snob

I'd do it. With the exchange rate you can take that cash and buy a brand new TSX in the states cash and probably pocket a bit extra.