AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   1G TSX (2004-2008) (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/)
-   -   How often Do you Stall? (https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/how-often-do-you-stall-662227/)

jmonkie 11-08-2005 10:24 PM

How often Do you Stall?

Thinking about getting a Manual transmission 06. Just curious, how often do you stall? I've never owed a manual but I can drive one.

joerockt 11-08-2005 10:31 PM

I've been driving a manual for about 10 years now. I would say I have a noob moment maybe once a year. But its no big deal. After a week or two of driving, it will become old hat...

vidgamer 11-08-2005 10:48 PM

I think when I first was learning, it probably took months before I was really comfortable. The worst stall I had was pulling out on a left turn, and stalling it right in the middle of the road (probably because it was on an incline combined with maybe I missed a shift or something). This was shortly after getting my first manual shift car.

I still occasionally make a flub, but nothing like that.

The TSX is the easiest-shifting car I've driven (although I haven't driven all that many manual shift cars!). Real nice.

joerockt 11-08-2005 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by vidgamer
The TSX is the easiest-shifting car I've driven (although I haven't driven all that many manual shift cars!). Real nice.

:agree: I remember the first time I stepped on the clutch, I was like, "Holy shit, thats smoooooth." Loved it...

West6MT 11-08-2005 11:04 PM

Like joerockt, I have a noob moment maybe once or twice a year. I have been driving manual for 2.5yrs now. Once you are comfortable with a manual tranny it wont happen often.

West6MT 11-08-2005 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by joerockt
:agree: I remember the first time I stepped on the clutch, I was like, "Holy shit, thats smoooooth." Loved it...

HAHA, same here. The first time I drove the TSX I was like,.....I must have this car,...clutch so good. Im still not as smooth with the TSX (now about 2mo old) compared to the old nissan I learned on and used to drive. Maybe I just need more time with it,..and I need to drive it more. I miss the LONG travel and slower engagement of the clutch in that old stanza though. You will all laugh, but I really liked that car,....fun to drive.

loxllxol 11-08-2005 11:11 PM

..everytime i get road-head.

stewie20068 11-08-2005 11:12 PM

In the past month I have driven my TSX, an S2000, a TL, and a current model Volvo S40 at WOT. The S2000 had the shortest throws and the quickest shifts, but I have to say that the S40 had the smoothest tranny of them all. The shifter was so slick and the clutch engagement was extremely smooth. The DBW in the TSX and TL just create that lag and then the car has a slight jump to it sometimes. The S40 could have been the smoothest becuase it only had the 2.4i with 160ish hp and was a little slower than the other cars. Who woulda ever though that Volvo would make a great tranny?

West6MT 11-08-2005 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by stewie20068
In the past month I have driven my TSX, an S2000, a TL, and a current model Volvo S40 at WOT. The S2000 had the shortest throws and the quickest shifts, but I have to say that the S40 had the smoothest tranny of them all. The shifter was so slick and the clutch engagement was extremely smooth. The DBW in the TSX and TL just create that lag and then the car has a slight jump to it sometimes. The S40 could have been the smoothest becuase it only had the 2.4i with 160ish hp and was a little slower than the other cars. Who woulda ever though that Volvo would make a great tranny?

Really eh? I want to go drive one to test it out now.

stewie20068 11-08-2005 11:17 PM

I seem to remember my TSX being smoother when I got it, but now when I shift into 2nd I kinda have to force it sometimes. One time going WOT I actually bounced off of 2nd. My dad has the same trouble with his TL going into 3rd. Makes me worry about my tranny long term. You guys have any trouble with that?

theElio 11-09-2005 12:36 AM

I bought my TSX 6MT in July knowing nothing about manuals at the time and it took me about 2 months to get pretty smooth and fluent with the clutch. I mess up about once a month as it stands

jlukja 11-09-2005 09:22 AM

Never

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7...ance5at9tr.gif :D

raltsx1 11-09-2005 10:00 AM

Bought a 6MT about a month ago. It was the first manual I've ever owned although I did learn to drive one about 6yrs back, it was a prelude. The first couple of weeks were a little rough, I probably stalled 4 times, the clutch was really tight. In the last couple of weeks I haven't stalled once and the clutch is a lot easier to engage.

waterrockets 11-09-2005 10:18 AM

Somehow I've been lucky, and have never stalled it. I've had my '05 6MT TSX since June. Before that, I drove an automatic 4Runner for 8 years. Before that, 12 years driving various sticks.

Newplay1 11-09-2005 10:20 AM

I stalled once in heavy traffic staring at a brand new bmw 645 conv when it first came out...

WellChosen 11-09-2005 10:27 AM

Dont get thrown off by this though man...You can pick up the basics in 45 minutes....literally learn as u drive it off the lot, you may stall here and there but you'll get the jist of it by the time you get home. Learning how to fine tune your shifting, and finding that sweet spot on your clutch takes the most time, 45 minutes youll know the basics.....3months you should be very comfortable. Ive driven friends stick shifts here and there. bought my PWP 6MT Navi a month ago and i drove it off the lot no problems. Stalled twice since ive bought the car. Going with a stick shift is the best ......stick shifts are FUN AS HELL to drive. and the times that you love driving stick DEFINETLY out number the tiems you hate it.

ianS 11-09-2005 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by vidgamer
I think when I first was learning, it probably took months before I was really comfortable. The worst stall I had was pulling out on a left turn, and stalling it right in the middle of the road (probably because it was on an incline combined with maybe I missed a shift or something). This was shortly after getting my first manual shift car.

I still occasionally make a flub, but nothing like that.

I stalled when I was pulling out on a left turn too but it was not on my TSX, it was on my E46 and also was not becasue of noob, it was because the vanos suddenly die, what a fightening experience! And I have some noob moment during parking maybe 2-3 times a year too and even the stall on the TSX is also damn so smooth, it just like turn of an electrical appliance instead of all the jerking like all other cars.

polytsx 11-09-2005 12:44 PM

I haven't stalled...yet....mind you it has been less than a month since I bought the car. No doubt that the clutch takes some getting used.

psteng19 11-10-2005 10:27 PM

I don't get it. If you can drive stick, then why are you worrying about stalling?
...unless you're still new to a manual.

jmonkie 11-10-2005 10:35 PM

I am still new to the manual. Even though my wife drives a stick she won't let me drive it so I've had to find cars to learn on.

West6MT 11-10-2005 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by jmonkie
I am still new to the manual. Even though my wife drives a stick she won't let me drive it so I've had to find cars to learn on.

You might wanna try this method for getting comfy with the clutch. I did this the first day my dad came up and dropped off the old nissan I used to drive at University. It was in the summer and I had to learn fast to be able to get to work.

Basically, go to a parking lot that has a bit of an incline somewhere. Point the car uphill (not a steep incline,...just a little bit). Start to move the car uphill from a standstill on the incline, then put in the clutch and roll back down. Use the brake to stop (dont engage the clutch and use the gas to start moving foward again cause that will cause wear). Repeat. After a minute or two of doing this you will probably be a lot more comfortable with using the clutch and it is good practice for when you have to start to move on a big hill. I found doing that for a few minutes helped me out,....you might want to try that, it might help. Just suggesting things. Like everyone said though, after a few months of driving you will be SET.

goddsmack 11-10-2005 11:13 PM

Actually in my case, never stalled in my TSX whatsoever. With items like syncros and electronically controled throttle body, now-a-days there really isn't an art to manuals as they seem to drive themselves like autos.

I personally would not recommend the TSX as a starter manual vehicle, it's just too easy and the car helps you out. I prefer to teach others on a car that can stall easily so you get the feel of a clutch. I had a manual accord that on occasion I would stall, it happens to the best of us like once or twice a year or so, but this TSX compensates too much if you let out the clutch too fast and I haven't stall as a result, ever in this car! This also has me worried because I wonder if the clutch to flywheel clearance is off because it will slip and shudder before it will stall at times that I was just a bit too quick to let out the clutch. My tranny teacher drove it and states nothing is wrong with it, but I'm thinking I might have someone take a closer look at it still. Gotta get to that manual tranny class one of these days... :(

West6MT 11-10-2005 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by goddsmack
Actually in my case, never stalled in my TSX whatsoever. With items like syncros and electronically controled throttle body, now-a-days there really isn't an art to manuals as they seem to drive themselves like autos.

I personally would not recommend the TSX as a starter manual vehicle, it's just too easy and the car helps you out. I prefer to teach others on a car that can stall easily so you get the feel of a clutch. I had a manual accord that on occasion I would stall, it happens to the best of us like once or twice a year or so, but this TSX compensates too much if you let out the clutch too fast and I haven't stall as a result, ever in this car! This also has me worried because I wonder if the clutch to flywheel clearance is off because it will slip and shudder before it will stall at times that I was just a bit too quick to let out the clutch. My tranny teacher drove it and states nothing is wrong with it, but I'm thinking I might have someone take a closer look at it still. Gotta get to that manual tranny class one of these days... :(

I understand where you are coming from. The 1992 nissan I learned stick on (mentioned above) had so much feel in the clutch,......it was great. It was a tough car to learn on but I am thankful I did learn on it, because I can hopp into anything and drive it now without much of a problem at all. I got the car right after a new clutch was put in but I dont think if differed much from the orig one. I would always laugh when someone who could drive manual would get into the nissan and try to go,.....they would have a tough time LOL. Only a few of my friends tried,..but they had problems. I think it might have been because of the travel on the clutch pedal,..cause there was A LOT. It would start to engage about halfway off the floor, which was a long way off the floor. I have not driven a car since that has as much feel as that car did,.....I miss it. Needed some muscle to change gears too. Its still in the backyard,.....rusting in places now and the plates are expired,....poor old girl.

waterrockets 11-11-2005 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by West6MT
I understand where you are coming from. The 1992 nissan I learned stick on (mentioned above) had so much feel in the clutch,......it was great. It was a tough car to learn on but I am thankful I did learn on it, because I can hopp into anything and drive it now without much of a problem at all. I got the car right after a new clutch was put in but I dont think if differed much from the orig one. I would always laugh when someone who could drive manual would get into the nissan and try to go,.....they would have a tough time LOL. Only a few of my friends tried,..but they had problems. I think it might have been because of the travel on the clutch pedal,..cause there was A LOT. It would start to engage about halfway off the floor, which was a long way off the floor. I have not driven a car since that has as much feel as that car did,.....I miss it. Needed some muscle to change gears too. Its still in the backyard,.....rusting in places now and the plates are expired,....poor old girl.

Your Nissan sounds bad, but... my first car had really lame clutch feel: 1942 Willy's CJ-2A. After driving it for a month, I was able to get started moving up 50% grades uphill, with no problem (off-road in the Colorado Rockies).

I miss rock-crawling sometimes. Not enough of it around here anyway (Austin).

madmanmax3000 11-11-2005 07:46 AM

jmonkie, stalling, probably not going to be an issue. The TSX is my first car, I've stalled it maybe 8 times in it's life, and none of those have been in the past year. Get the 6MT, you won't regret it

Oh, and the biggest thing that helped me, was finding the "grab point" on the clutch. That's the spot where the clutch is when the car will start to move with no gas. If you know EXACTLY where that spot is, you will never stall (but it'll take you a few stalls to get there)

K24tunr 11-11-2005 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by loxllxol

You just need more practice or my personal recommendation is a highway for this activity.

K24tunr 11-11-2005 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by jmonkie
Thinking about getting a Manual transmission 06. Just curious, how often do you stall? I've never owed a manual but I can drive one.

You won't stall at all once you get the hang of things. My first car I bought was manual and I couldn't drive stick, only took me like 2 weeks to get things figured out.

Nikki 11-11-2005 08:26 AM

I never stall and I have been driving stick for 3 years.
I stalled my car the day I got it, just getting used to the clutch.
Besides that I stalled maybe twice shortly after that, but I haven't stalled in it within the past year.

peter_bigblock 11-11-2005 10:56 AM

I've missed a shift here and there, trying to go to quickly, but I haven't stalled since I learned to drive a standard tranny 22 yrs ago. I do find the TSX clutch to be difficult to smoothly engage sometimes, and the DBW has that little "lip" to engagement. Generally, I find the TSX tranny to be very smooth and positive and direct-feeling -- that's the most amazing thing is how the tranny feels like it's right under the tunnel and not being controlled by a cable reaching into the engine compartment.

I think a short shifter will make me happy -- with my Momo shift knob the shifter is a little taller and therefore the throws feel longer. But I digress, don't worry about stalling. By a stick!

West6MT 11-11-2005 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
I've missed a shift here and there, trying to go to quickly, but I haven't stalled since I learned to drive a standard tranny 22 yrs ago. I do find the TSX clutch to be difficult to smoothly engage sometimes, and the DBW has that little "lip" to engagement. Generally, I find the TSX tranny to be very smooth and positive and direct-feeling -- that's the most amazing thing is how the tranny feels like it's right under the tunnel and not being controlled by a cable reaching into the engine compartment.

I think a short shifter will make me happy -- with my Momo shift knob the shifter is a little taller and therefore the throws feel longer. But I digress, don't worry about stalling. By a stick!

Well said (in regards to the TSX tranny).

DaveWhyman 11-11-2005 01:25 PM

I usually stall about 1-2 times a year. My biggest problem is forgetting to shift, I'm used to noisey cars so I don't pay much attention to the tach. I've bounced off the limiter twice in the last week while trying to accelerate quickly.

stewie20068 11-11-2005 03:46 PM

I learned to drive stick on my dad's '95 Legend. It was hard as hell and I never did get it. Then I hopped in a TSX and I could drive it just fine. Took me a few months to master, but 2 years later I can drive anything from the very first shift. That includes TL, RSX, S2000, G35, TT, 330ci, Volvo S40, '96 Mustang GT, Celica GTS, '96 F-250, and the mother of all manuals...'97 F-350 modified with rear cage for mowers and blowers. The thing usually refused to go into second, first was out of the question, and the cluth was near impossible to push to the floor. It didn't even have the shift knob, just a stick. Oh and after the TSX I was able to master the Legend.

Zasker1 11-11-2005 04:11 PM

I second That

Originally Posted by loxllxol

I second That.

jerzpwr 11-11-2005 06:07 PM

atlest once a week on my 5speed automatic haha :annoyed:

dj Dozhe 11-11-2005 06:19 PM

That what happens when you get drunk and take a leak in the gas tank. Happens to me all the time.

DateTSX 11-11-2005 06:23 PM

I should've waited 3 months for the MT....arrghh REGRET!! oh well, life goes on. =)

Yui 11-13-2005 12:37 AM

Just learned stick this afternoon on a friend's G20. Stalled quite a few times. Argh. Is it really bad for the car? He didn't seem to mind so much, and said I stalled less than another friend who stalled his car 8 times on the same turn. But, he ended up driving manual pretty well... so it's not impossible =P

HoRRo 11-13-2005 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Yui
Just learned stick this afternoon on a friend's G20. Stalled quite a few times. Argh. Is it really bad for the car? He didn't seem to mind so much, and said I stalled less than another friend who stalled his car 8 times on the same turn. But, he ended up driving manual pretty well... so it's not impossible =P

Stalling is not extremely bad. Your friend is probably thankful that you only stalled and didn't grind. I'd never let anyone learn manual on my car for that very reason.

goddsmack 11-15-2005 08:49 PM

Boy, as some else mentioned in another thread, there are sure alot of posts on aspects of driving a manual...I personally think there are certainly alot of people that are training or learning to drive on mommy's and daddy's automatic cars (me being one of them, but my cousin and my friends taught me that summer how to drive a stick back in '94). At this rate, when I do have kids and I start to teach them how to drive, are there going to be any manuals left. They are already hard to find in a lot as is.

HoOnzABPTSX 11-15-2005 09:48 PM

definitely get it stick, you wont regret it