How often do u wash and detail the Tsx?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 05:17 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How often do u wash and detail the Tsx?

Man, the Tsx today looks like crap after I got home from driving it all day in the snow. I really wanted to wipe and remove the dirt from the car, but there's a lot of salt on it. Plus, it's going to snow more tonight and tomorrow, so I won't be able to go to the car wash until Wed. I'm beginning to think I'm wasting my time putting car wax, cause is it just BS or am I really protecting the car's paint from salt even if the salt right now is sticking to the car?
Old 01-26-2004, 05:20 PM
Registered AssHat

Every layer protects the car. It may be sticking to the wax and not penetrating to the paint.

On that note, my car looks like crap, but with no salt on it. But, this weekend = SuperBowl and next Monday it gets repainted. So, it won't get a good cleaning until after.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Lung Fu,

I'm considering switching tires and am deciding between the Continental ContiExtremeContacts and the ones you have on your TSX. What has been your experience with them? Are they pretty quiet on the road? Do they handle winter wether well compared to the stock Michellins?

Thanks,
SB
Old 01-26-2004, 09:01 PM
A-TSX Member

You did the right thing by not wiping the salt from your car. It does more harm than good. Best to leave it alone until the temperature is warm enough to wash the car.

Like Lung previously stated, the wax you put on previously was not a waste. It's doing its job by providing an extra layer of protection between the salt and the paint. (The salt is sticking to the wax and not the paint). Once you get a chance to wash the car and rinse away the salt, you will see and appreciate the job the extra layer of wax did to protect your car.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Racer

I've been getting lots of salt on my car lately too thanks to the recent snow. Usually I wash it twice a month but recently, I've been going more like twice a week except I've been taking it to one of those indoor hand wash places for $10 just to get the salt off my car. Very convenient to say the least. Last time I actually waxed and detailed was October during the last of the warm weather and overall my cars each get detailed 2-3 times a year by yours truly of course.

A few nice coats of wax is definitely a must before going into the winter season. If you haven't already done so, it's never too late. Consider it one of the forms of "winterization" for any car especially if you live in the snow belt and salt is always getting dumped on the roads. A coat of wax does wonders to protect your paint and clearcoat from the harsh winter conditions and not to mention from the occasional well-placed direct hits from our avian friends.