How do you remove snow from your car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you remove snow from your car?

I have always used a snow brush (the ones with part of it as a scraper and part a brush), but someone mentioned that that may scratch the delicate paint that is on newer cars, so I was wondering how other people remove snow from on top of their cars.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Instructor

I asked this a few weeks back...

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=4886

never got a real answer. I think the answer is simply "gently"
Old 12-14-2003, 11:33 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by esr5096
I asked this a few weeks back...

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...&threadid=4886

never got a real answer. I think the answer is simply "gently"
lol yep.
How about the windows. I usually start the car then turn on the front, rear defrosters and the seat heater. Scrape the sides. Start on the back which is already starting to melt. Then by the time I get to the front its half done. Any other ideas?
Old 12-15-2003, 06:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Place car in garage... wait until snow has finished...

You can use a brush to get most of the snow off but I wouldn't go all the way to the paint. As for the glass... use a plastic scrapper. That shouldn't do any harm to your windshield.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:25 AM
Integral & Acurate TSXer

lol. Guys.. it's a car. If you live in areas where you get snow on your car (ie especially like I did yesterday in Toronto) then just be careful, and thats the best you can do. Or drive around with the car completely covered in snow.. I always love those guys...

J.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:33 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have no exp w/ taking snow my cars except when I go snowboarding in Tahoe (I live in Cali), but what my friends and I always done was just hose it off. There wasnt too much snow to begin w/ though.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Instructor

I can't figure out people that fill their garages full of stuff and then leave their cars out on the driveway, especially in the winter. I always have a chuckle at people with garages that spend a half-an-hour scraping ice of their car 'cause they left it on the driveway when it could have been in the garage overnight.

I minimize how often I have to brush off my car by choosing covered parking when out and leaving it in the garage when home. When I brush the car, I'm more concerned with the windows than the bodywork, but I try to get it all off, just gently. But I can't imagine the brushes wearing on the paint so much that a springtime wax job wouldn't bring the car back to a mirror finish.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Pro

Re: How do you remove snow from your car?

Originally posted by hobbestec
I have always used a snow brush (the ones with part of it as a scraper and part a brush), but someone mentioned that that may scratch the delicate paint that is on newer cars, so I was wondering how other people remove snow from on top of their cars.
I'm in Minnesota and one of our cars sits outside most of the winter. I got sick of using that wimpy scraper/broom, so I modified a full-sized garage broom. I used foam pipe insulation (link) to pad all of the wood and metal areas that could come into contact with the car and then wrapped it in duct tape to secure it. It took about 5 minutes to do and this will be its 4th year in service. Even when I make a mistake, the padding saves my butt. I can clear off the entire car with 6" of snow on it in about 8 strokes. Works well for me!
Old 12-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Well, I don't have a garage or covered parking so the car is always outside. I guess I'll just brush gently. I think i'll stay away from the garage broom and certainly the hose, that would just freeze my car in an icicle
Old 12-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
My friend swears by that boar hair brush that he has... but that thing alone costs $50!!!

Now, I saw that Oxo has one with very soft and fine hair - I wonder if that is any good?
Old 12-15-2003, 08:55 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

I take the snow off my car with an Oskar snow broom...

Does the trick
Old 12-15-2003, 10:57 PM
Pro

Originally posted by hobbestec
I think i'll stay away from the garage broom
Suit yourself, but why stand out there any longer than you have to... Dealerships use leaf blowers to clear off thier cars when it snows less than 3", otherwise they use garage brooms, that's where I got the idea... They have 100+ cars to clear, they know how to get it done!
Old 12-15-2003, 11:05 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
my brother got this tool that is like a giant scraper at the end of a stick. and the material on the scraper is a foam that is supposed to not scratch your paint. i can get all the snow off my car in like 30 -45 seconds. thing is sick. i'll find out who makes it tomorrw and let cha'll know

peace
Old 12-16-2003, 09:26 AM
Large Member

Originally posted by STC
I have no exp . . . but what my friends and I always done was just hose it off.
WOW!!

I guess you can get by with that in CA!!

Let's see any of our Canadian brethren try that one!

Similar story: I grew up in New England. A neighbor from the south went out on her steps after the first snow storm one year to get the snow off of her front steps. She poured a pot of hot water all over the steps.

You can imagine the fun she had for the rest of the winter.

TEIGER
Old 01-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Cruisin' the Azine's

Talking RE: Snow removal

To easily clear my front windshield in the snowy months, I use a medium-weight tarp that is cut out in the shape of my windshield with two extended side "wings". I open one door, close it with one wing sandwiched between door/frame. Pull the cover over the windshield and open the other door and shut it with the wing between the door/frame.

In the morning, I just open one door, peel off the tarp and whalla! a clean windshield. No snow, no ice, no scrape!

As for the other windows...I just scrape. If you have Rain-X treatment, the snow/ice comes off easily. If you need to brush the snow off of the top of the car, I recommend one of the large bristle dusters, gentle enough for your shiny oak furniture.

Don't use a trash bag, they will rip in the wind.

Good luck!

Alternatively...H and A parts sells the TSX cover for $148. Mebbe it might be worth looking into if you live in heavy snowed areas?