How Do You Haggle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Zyuan10
okay.... the negotiating (through email) stops at 26,7500 (w00t!) as "factory equipped"... what does this mean?

'07 ABP/NBP/RBP, here I come!
My take on "as factory equipped" would mean absolutely no options other than how it comes off the truck. So no floor mats (maybe?), no mud guards, no wheel locks, etc. A lot of dealers will add a basic set of stuff to any new car on the lots (mats and mud guards are common adds). So, just be prepared for some small things missing you might have assumed were there (especially in one you may have test drove).

Congratulations!

Greg
Old 05-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwhite4
Sussman (now Elite One) Acura in Maple Shade. I think Davis Acura in Langhorne had the overall lowest price. The Sussman salesman I dealt with however told his manager that Turnersville Acura had a lower price, and would they match it. I guess that's their biggest competitor, and would drop their price rather than a sale going to them.

Surprisingly, even though the major difference was on the accessory items (wheel locks, air deflector, etc.) - with Sussman being higher - the salesman kept those prices the same, and dropped the price of the car so that the total matched.

The remote starter and LoJack were some large-ticket items (I think $1300+), so I knew with those probably having a decent profit margin, they could afford to offer a discount on the other items. If I was coming in for a TSX by itself with no additions, I doubt I've have gotten it for the same price. As long as they make $xx on a sale as a whole, I'm sure they are probably happy.

Jeff
I went to both Sussman and Davis dealerships too (Davis is literally 3 mins from my house). I emailed both dealerships first, and Sussman came in with the losest price of $24,243 +TTL and Davis gave me an offer for $24,450 +TLL. However, since i was trading in a TSX that had been in an accident, Sussman doesn't have a used car dealership so they offered me $11k for my car....i laughed directly in their face and said no thanks and walked out. They only had 2 left anyway, one was an ABP 5AT which i would have gotten but with that trade in price i couldn't. I then went to Davis and they had a few left and they offered me $17k for my trade in because they have a used sale lot. I ended up getting them to go down another $100 and got the car for $24,890 OTD with a 17k trade in. So i did REALLY well. No haggling, no nothing except right through the internet and at the month, that was key. They told me that they wanted to sale before the end of the month. They even completely replaced both side view mirrors cause they didn't move properly due to shipping.

I HIGHLY recommend Davis Acura in Langhorne. I have the internet sales guy information and still stop by to talk to him often. I can see what i can do if anyone is in the area
Old 05-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Instructor

I did my haggling on the web. Made an offer to the Internet sales guy via email and he agreed to it.

Unfortunately, I went to purchase months after this event, so things changed a bit. I wound up putting some more down ($400) up front, but still wound up with the payment where I wanted it, which was $325/mo. with 15K/yr allowance (its a lease...I dont plan for any mods). Looking at the dealers sheet when he went to do my credit app, I noticed the "selling price" for the car is 27.5, so I guess I did OK.

I could have done better, but didnt get hosed, either.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Advanced

Talking Haggling

Okay, you go in and say you're Tony Rocco and you're going to break his legs if he tries to screw you . . .

But really, it is usually best to say that you are (1) looking at several vehicles, (2) are undecided, and (3) that you are interested in hearing what the salesperson has to offer.

Once you have an offer, you can figure that the salesperson has already determined what you are likely to offer in return, as a counter-offer. That is the number you have in your head. Take $400 off that, propose it and expect no deal. Keep talking, and you will probably settle for $200 less than you would have paid if you got what you originally thought was a "fair deal."

Capisce?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Originally Posted by Tex929rr
Most important thing, right there. If you are ready to walk, you are in control. Do not use the walkout as a negotiating tool - just leave. If they want your business they will contact you again.
Best advice. Know what you're willing to pay, and be prepared to walk.